: Another 1987 Brougham!!

87Bro-Ham
08-15-10, 09:02 AM
Sup Cadillackerz?

I haven't been here since I sold my Triple Blue 87 Brougham DL, Bertha.. But now mister 87Bro-Ham has bought another 87Bro-Ham...

Good For $650.

She is White with the Red pinstripe And Red Int. and Leather seats. 128k.

Honestly the Seats and drive line would have you think she has 28k!

She drives smoother than Bertha did and has much more low down torque... Engine is smooth and transmission wont let me feel a thing!!

Buuuuuuuuuuuut.....

She does have a few problems and I need some Help, Advice, Hints and tips.

Ok. Body fillers of course, gone.

Small dent on lower driver side fender by the door... How To?

Vinyl Top needs replacing.. How To?

Windshield has a crack from left to right but not too bad it's low by the wipers

Few small rust spots

Needs paint

Chassis Rusted and Crusted

Electric seats dont work, i move the button, i hear some clicking like it wants to move, under the driver seat... pass side doesn't do a thing or make a sound.
How To?

Door Locks shot too... But i hear clicking from under the dash on the pass side?
I need more How to info for that as well...

Windows work when they want to... but all window switches seem to work...
How to?

Cig lighter in the 3 doors dont work... How To?
Middle one does...

A/C needs recharging... R-134 retrofit... Good, Bad?

Parking Brake Doesn't Work.. How To?

Side view mirrors Work fine..

Horn doesn't work.. How to?

Wipers seem to stay on... and are too damn slow... How To?

Lights work...
Cruise works...

Rear Deck brake light doesn't work.. How to?

Stock Radio works but has no display, all speakers work but it seems like theres a short IN the RADIO it's self, Left speakers wont be on unless i move the Power/Volume nob like a BMW idrive nob... Think I'll replace all that anyway... How To?

Antenna had to be unplugged, makes a sound like it's workin but antenna doesn't move... How to?

Trunk Pull doesn't work...

Mold on Visors, Disgusting... How To?

Top Int. light loose i can handle that

Rear View Mirror Electric stuff dont work? How To?

Rear int. suede stuff around the reading lamps, need replacing How To?

I also want to take the rear seat out to check for critters. the car has been sittin for a while... How To?

Oh Yea,

"How To?" = Help, Advice, Hints and tips on.. How do I check to see what the problem is?, How do I remove whatever i need to remove to check it, Such as where are the screws or bolts located? i.e. door panel, seat, roof, etc.. How to Replace... etc etc

I'd like to fondle with her myself... Anybody know a place to get the parts cheap, other than the junk Yard?

Seems to be something electrical somewhere, i just dont know where to look or even how to get to it when i find out where it is..

That's all I've figured out for now, i've had her since friday

I'll post pics later...

Thanks Cadillackers!!

Stingroo
08-15-10, 09:34 AM
Check your fuse for the horn to start.

3rd brake light is probably just a bulb. No biggie.

R134a retrofit = BAD! It won't blow as cold. See if you can find an A/C shop near you that still has R12 and will fill it for you. If not, go to NAPA and purchase some Freeze 12. It's the next best thing.

Vinyl tops are expensive to replace. Call auto upholstery shops near you and see if you can get together some quotes. Be prepared to spend at least what you paid for the car on that alone, I would guess. It's not cheap.

Welcome (back) to the forums, and as always:

:postpics:

csbuckn
08-15-10, 09:50 AM
To fix all problems at once, put a for sale sign on it while the motor is running good. Just playing. Hopefully it doesnt have any flood damage. Crusty frame, tons of electrical problems and mold would have me worried. Otherwise you have some mice eating your wires. I'd start under the dash for the wiring but you are gonna need a service manual to fix these problems. Also, find out if the vinyl top is leaking and causing the mold. That can be a pain because it will start to mold even more.

JimMLINY
08-15-10, 06:20 PM
I did a complete refit with new seals and hoses on my 88 and it blows at 48 degrees per thermometer in center vents with auto set to 60.

R134a retrofit = BAD! It won't blow as cold. See if you can find an A/C shop near you that still has R12 and will fill it for you. If not, go to NAPA and purchase some Freeze 12. It's the next best thing.

The-Dullahan
08-15-10, 10:32 PM
Thermometers in vents are tacky. Just saying.

sven914
08-16-10, 01:25 AM
You have a lot of problems... A complete cluster f**k of problems...

Some of the electrical issues are effecting unrelated systems. Your door locks, trunk pull-down and power seat problems could be related to the horn, because the lock relay, pull-down, and seat circuits are powered through the horn circuit breaker. The windows could be a loose wire in the door. The day/night mirror is wired through the 10 B/U fuse, which could be blown because it only powers the gear selector switch and the mirror. The cigar lighters (except the one in the console) all share a common connection, which if damaged would wreak havoc with your interior lights.

Servicing this car is going to be a painstakingly tedious task, especially if you have to come to us every time you need help. Your first step should be acquiring a factory service manual; such as one of these (http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=1987+Cadillac+Brougham+service+manual&_sacat=See-All-Categories). That will give you the step by step on diagnosing, replacing, and repairing anything on your car.

87Bro-Ham
08-16-10, 02:47 PM
Thanks for input ppl... i'm tearing things out of it now.... and i'm going to check the relays a fuses yall explained.... i lost my cam so i used my phone's... i'll attach in a min...

1980coupe
08-18-10, 04:16 AM
it's been a long minute,,,,

robb257731
08-19-10, 11:54 AM
I had electrical issues when I bought my 91....interior lights didn't work, power locks didn't work, not sure if the horn worked, none of the lighters worked. Turned out one of the lighters in the back was JAMMED down, so it blew the fuse. I changed the fuse, it would blow. Finally I thought to check the lighters. I had to pull it out with a pair of pliers it was jammed down so hard.

sven914
08-19-10, 03:37 PM
And that's why I don't let anything with a heartbeat ride in the my car. I'm still angry at my dog for pissing on the back seat, and that was over four years ago.

outsider
08-19-10, 03:59 PM
^ Agreed. Any time my friends get into my cars I give them very specific instructions not to play with any of the fun gadgets like lighters in all the doors or the reading lights. No garbage on the floor, and no spills!

ofcourse, you can't drive and watch the back seat the whole time...but for the most part they're pretty compliant. :D