: valve caps?

fps_dean
08-14-10, 09:37 PM
I am in need of some valve caps. I have heard that metal caps can corrode and get stuck on the valve stem, requiring a new valve stem and TPMS sensor. I have also heard that plastic caps cause TPMS to not work. Do I need to be concerned about either of these?

I found these (http://www.amazon.com/Cadillac-Silver-Logo-Brass-Valve/dp/B003DKQ0YO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1281835948&sr=8-3-fkmr0) but if metal caps are bad...

I also can't seem to find stock caps anywhere, if anyone has managed to find them let me know.

EChas3
08-14-10, 11:02 PM
OEM are metal on our 2006 & 2007. When different metals are in contact, corrosion is common. I haven't see a problem.

If you don't have the OEM caps, plastic would be better than nothing. I wouldn't accept just any metal cap as OEM.

fps_dean
08-15-10, 11:41 AM
Do you know what metal the OEM caps are made of? Is it still brass?

Cadjiek
08-15-10, 12:38 PM
It's funny that this topic popped up. Thursday I had new tires installed and when i got home I happened to notice a cheap black plastic cap on the front tires and a cheap plastic gray cap on my rear tires. I supposed they used that method to to tell the front tires from the rear because of the staggered set up.
I bought some chrome plated metal caps and installed them from the local parts store. Went back to the tire store on Friday because of a slight out of balance issue and they asked me who put these metal caps on. I said I did because you guys took my OEM caps. They told me about the corrosion issue with TPMS and metal caps. They put nice new chrome plated plastic ones on and said they would be OK to use. I was at the parts store today and the guy there thinks the palstic ones aren't good either. He said something about the OEM caps being nickle plated?? Now I'm really confused. Never knew the material used on valve stem caps was such a big issue. By the way the new tires are Conti DWS. What a difference in the ride and are probably 30% quieter than the OEM Michelin. Hopefully better this winter too.

dkozloski
08-15-10, 01:50 PM
Aluminum and stainless steel do not mix well. The aluminum sacrifices to the stainless steel and corrodes to beat hell. Refer to the electromotive table in your old highschool chemistry book.

fps_dean
08-15-10, 02:05 PM
It's funny that this topic popped up. Thursday I had new tires installed and when i got home I happened to notice a cheap black plastic cap on the front tires and a cheap plastic gray cap on my rear tires. I supposed they used that method to to tell the front tires from the rear because of the staggered set up.
I bought some chrome plated metal caps and installed them from the local parts store. Went back to the tire store on Friday because of a slight out of balance issue and they asked me who put these metal caps on. I said I did because you guys took my OEM caps. They told me about the corrosion issue with TPMS and metal caps. They put nice new chrome plated plastic ones on and said they would be OK to use. I was at the parts store today and the guy there thinks the palstic ones aren't good either. He said something about the OEM caps being nickle plated?? Now I'm really confused. Never knew the material used on valve stem caps was such a big issue. By the way the new tires are Conti DWS. What a difference in the ride and are probably 30% quieter than the OEM Michelin. Hopefully better this winter too.

I got rid of my stocks when I got snows (Blizzaks). For a summer tire, I went with the Conti DWs (summer version) they are great! Well priced and they're supposed to be roughly comparable to Michelin PS2s with pretty good treadlife for a summer tire (possibly in the 30k mile range). The stocks still had good tread life, but they hydroplaned like crazy even on little water while giving it little gas, so I replaced them early.

My only complaints is that the DWs are not quite as quiet as I hoped they'd be under higher speeds but more than acceptable, and handing is exceptional. Tires can make or break a ride, and I feel these tires do my STS with the performance package justice.

Ironically, most people seem to hate the rest of the Continental line of tires, but they got it right with the DW/DWS and the price is right too.

I had a slow leak which turned out to be an improperly seated air sensor, and they gave me a black valve cap which is why I'm asking about this.

fps_dean
08-15-10, 02:07 PM
Aluminum and stainless steel do not mix well. The aluminum sacrifices to the stainless steel and corrodes to beat hell. Refer to the electromotive table in your old highschool chemistry book.

What is the valve stem screw made of? Basically I'm trying to figure out what I can use. I know older vehicles used brass caps...

EChas3
08-15-10, 03:38 PM
Off-thread comment but responsive to Continental tires. I went with DWS on my AWD and my wife went with DW on her RWD (which gets Bizzaks in Winter). They are a big improvement over the Michelins that our two cars had as OEM. Neither wore the A/S Sport Michelins that are so highly considered (and priced to match).

So far, we are very happy with our Continentals. Much better grip & somewhat better ride.

fps_dean
08-15-10, 03:59 PM
Off-thread comment but responsive to Continental tires. I went with DWS on my AWD and my wife went with DW on her RWD (which gets Bizzaks in Winter). They are a big improvement over the Michelins that our two cars had as OEM. Neither wore the A/S Sport Michelins that are so highly considered (and priced to match).

So far, we are very happy with our Continentals. Much better grip & somewhat better ride.

How many miles does your wife have on hers? I only have 5k on mine and still have like 95% my treadleft but I'm trying to figure out how many miles I can expect. I don't do donuts in parking lots, and the place I bought them told me possibly in the 30-40k range in the best case scenario which would be exceptional for a summer tire.

I considered the DWS for treadlife, but I must admit as soon as I got the DWs on they rode so nice I was like a little kid at Chrismas, and if I had the stock Michelins on before getting the DW I'm sure the difference would have been more noticable -- Blizzaks don't ride poorly.

EChas3
08-15-10, 04:28 PM
The DWS have a 50,000 mile warranty. I think that's so for the DW, also. Check Continental's website.

Force-1
08-15-10, 04:54 PM
I have these USA caps/plate frames (http://www.autosportcatalog.com/flag-license-plate-kit.cfm) on all 4 of my vehicles. All have TPMS. They have been on the STS for about 3 years; no issues on it or other vehicles.

fps_dean
08-15-10, 05:07 PM
The DWS have a 50,000 mile warranty. I think that's so for the DW, also. Check Continental's website.

Like most summer tires, there's no treadlife warranty on the DW. The DWS definitely has very good treadlife. A 340AA UTQG rating is very good for a summer tire, but anyone who knows what a crappy rating system UTQG is can tell you that's more or less meaningless.

If I get 30k+, I'll be thrilled.

fps_dean
08-15-10, 05:08 PM
I have these USA caps/plate frames (http://www.autosportcatalog.com/flag-license-plate-kit.cfm) on all 4 of my vehicles. All have TPMS. They have been on the STS for about 3 years; no issues on it or other vehicles.

Awesome thanks! 3 years is pretty good, and they are brass and chrome just like the ones I'm looking at with the Cadillac logos that would look pretty sweet. If they start to look bad at any point I'll change them out. I have snows too so they get taken off twice a year.

JackG
08-18-10, 02:34 PM
I have been running no valve caps. Whats the big deal???

EChas3
08-19-10, 09:12 PM
Most of us would like to keep the crud out of the valve stems; especially if the car sees Winter. Protection is a good thing!

DauroT
08-23-10, 11:42 AM
Did you try any national Parts locaters..or Junk Yards

JackG
08-27-10, 12:10 PM
Ok that makes sense. But where can i pick up the proper caps? ebay? anyone have links?