: Purchased at 91 Brougham. I have a few issues I need help with.

85GradyBaby
08-14-10, 09:19 PM
1st. My tail lights work, but my rear brake lights do not. Its not the switch. I've been told it could be the wire harness. Is this common?

2. How do I run wires for a cd player and amp? I've heard you have to tear the dash apart.

3. What issues have you had with your Brougham? Any common issues I should look out for?

caddeville89
08-14-10, 09:37 PM
No need to tear up the dash. You have to remove the separate receiver from behind the dash (access from underneath), and the standard GM wire harness for your stereo will be plugged into that receiver. I suggest getting a Haynes manual or a Dealer Service manual for detailed instructions. These cars are pretty reliable. Can't think of too many chronic issues right off the bat. The rear bumper rust problem shouldn't apply to you if you are in Georgia. The 700-R4 transmission is a weak link in all the big-body cad's. Baby it along and it will last longer. The windshield wiper system is actually a chronic issue. I have bought new pumps, fit used parts and yadda yadda and I can never get it working right. Bad design. I am actually going to try to retro-fit a newer washer pump system onto the car because the pumps on both my cars are inadequate.

On the brake lights, I'd check the fuses.

All-in-all, welcome to the forum. Lots of good guys here. Hope we can be of further assistance should you need it. check out a Dealer service Manual for your car. I bought one for my '90 on E-bay for $20, and it has saved me hundreds. Good luck, and get us some pics!

csbuckn
08-14-10, 10:52 PM
I had the same issue with my brake lights. My third brake light worked fine along with the running lights, I think the four ways worked too but no left and right brake lights. Turns out it was a burnt wire at a wiring harness bolted to the steering column.