: Help!!! My 1968 DeVille Convertible went partially dead.

Dirtywaterdiver
08-14-10, 07:39 PM
Was driving my car the other night.

The dash went black. Heard a ticking noise just like the turn signals are on but they were not. :hmm:

Now the "key in ignition buzzer" and the power windows do not work.

I have not a wiring diagram and since the Chilton's Book I bought is useless for the 68 I am trying to avoid hours of endless wire pulling and testing. :bonkers:

Anyone have this problem before?

Do you have a wire diagram?

Any advice would be appreciated since I got about 5 weeks of good driving weather left. :worship:

Laneseja
08-14-10, 10:44 PM
Just a thought, did you check the fuseable link ( I think there are three of them ) by the starter, and maybe one of the wires broke or burned up( this happened to my 1975 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and the one that burned through was for the tail lights and blower motor, and once I fixed it, everything worked again.

77CDV
08-14-10, 11:13 PM
First, you need a factory service manual. You can find them on ebay all day long for cheap.

You don't say whether the dash lights are working again or not, but I'm assuming not. Have you checked the relevant fuses? Could be that simple.

Garys
08-15-10, 12:06 AM
Since you heard "clicking" it could be a relay burned out too. I would start with the one for the power windows. It is located on the fuse panel. Yeah, it could be a fusible link too, but there is usually a smoke and fire show when those burn out. Even if you couldn’t see it, you probably would have at least smelled it. Craig’s right, you need to get a factory shop manual.

Dirtywaterdiver
08-15-10, 03:37 PM
I did not have a manual yet. Just got the CD one last night in the mail so I will start checking the fuse box.

I do see that the Circuit Breaker for the Windows #11 is listed as only CB. But what type? Size? What is the replacement part number.

Does anyone have a list of what parts this car is compatible with? What model years does the 1968 go up to?

Are other GM brands similar for parts canabilization? I have always owned Fords and the FOMOCO seemed to keep every thing standard for years
so swapping parts was easy.

Sorry about the dumb questions.

77CDV
08-15-10, 04:32 PM
Circuit breakers are typically 30A. Don't know about part numbers, but GM was also fond of sharing parts over a wide range of cars and years, so you should have no problem finding a replacement, if needed. These circuit breakers rarely fail to the point of needing replacement, though. I think you'll find if you remove it from the fuse panel and reinsert it, it will reset and the things it controls will start working again.

Dirtywaterdiver
08-15-10, 06:02 PM
The relay seems fine.

We found an alarm system stuffed up under the dash. Took that out. Now that clicking is gone.

The previous owner also put in a crazy stereo system which is gone but the wires remain so I got to get rid of all that spaghetti just to understand where I stand.

So far seems the bottom 4 fuses on the box are not getting any power.

The temp needle pegs when I turn on the ignition and the twilight sensor to off but when I touch a window switch it goes back down.

When the window fuse is given power they work and the temp needle goes down so there is a short in that power wire to the box someplace.

Looks like I got some wire tracing to do. I looked at the wire diagram and it is as hard for me to understand as Chinese math.

mookdawg312
05-27-11, 01:56 PM
I'm having the same issue which started about 1 month ago. I was able to determine that as i fiddle with ignition start (turning key to start) i see the interior lights and windows, tail lights work but then intermittently the power to "fuse panel" stops and then nothing works. Since it is intermittent, i checked the ignition switch for any corrosion or bad prongs, bad wire contacts but it all seems fine. I'm stumped as to what could be causing for power to stop going to fuse block. BTW, battery, alternator, starter have all been replaced within the last 1 year. The only new part replaced was a bad window motor since then but all was working fine until 1 month ago. Any suggestions are appreciated. I hate to take to a repair shop for them to charge hourly rate of $75 dollars when i already did half the tracing.

cosmo
05-28-11, 10:26 PM
Fusible link, I'd all but guarantee it.
Easy enough to check, as they're marked well enough. You'll need to access the starter wiring, then look for the wires with 'flags' on them. They're the fusible links. Don't go by looks (they will char and curdle when blown), use a test light.
NAPA's got 'em.

Cosmo