: I just bought my first Cadillac and I have a few questions

Mighk
08-14-10, 05:38 PM
I've been a Cadillac owner for about an hour now, I went to an auction here in Alaska and bought a 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood RWD for $55. It runs and drives the body is in pretty good condition and I'll have to redo the interior because it's been sitting for about 23 years and smells like moss, the paint is peeling and faded.

So I have no idea if a 76 Fleetwood is a sought after car or not or if it's worth repairing (if it's not worth repairing it'd make one hell of a demolition derby car but I don't want to see that).

I don't know what gas mileage it gets or how much it's worth restored, if you can give me any details about this car I'd appreciate it very much. I'm bringing it home later today and I'll have a few pictures of it inside and out.

Lord Cadillac
08-14-10, 06:11 PM
Welcome! Very interesting.. We need pictures... :)

That's a huge car! You can definitely fix that up and sell it here for a huge profit... $55?

YourMainParadox
08-14-10, 06:18 PM
if it was sitting that long it should take some work to get running and driving? I got a 74 that was sitting for like 4 years and it took 2 days to get it running.

Laneseja
08-14-10, 10:51 PM
1976 was the last year of the really large Cadillac Fleetwood Broughams, they were downsized in 1977 so I know a lot of people who would love to have one including me)I would fix it up or sell it to someone who really wants it, please don't trash it.Good luck to you!

csbuckn
08-14-10, 10:58 PM
It wouldnt take nothing but a parts car to get that interior up to being decent. I think you should keep it. Dont worry about gas mileage, you wont get any. You gotta post some pics, I wanna see what 55 bucks get you at an auction

77CDV
08-14-10, 11:09 PM
General information here: www.motorera.com.

What model is your 1976 Fleetwood? Is is a Brougham or Series 75? If the latter, is it the 9-passenger sedan or the formal limousine? A Brougham in top restored condition might get as much as $15,000, especially if it's a d'Elegance or the ultra-rare Talisman package. The Series 75 is much more rare, but is also in much lower demand due to it's size. A fully-restored Series 75 might go for as much as $10,000, but only if you find the right buyer. It's a case of limited supply meets limited demand.

And now, in honor of Stingroo:

We want pics!!!!! :D

Stingroo
08-15-10, 10:07 AM
:postpics:

Angry Matt
08-15-10, 10:15 AM
That motor and trans combo can be very reliable for a very long time if properly treated and maintained.

Mighk
08-15-10, 05:41 PM
Thank you to everyone who has replied, I should be towing it home today after I run a few errands, I'll take some pics and post them ASAP.
I'm not sure what model it is but I'll find out today.
At the very least if I don't tow it today I'll stop by the yard and take a few pics.

Mighk
08-15-10, 05:42 PM
Oh, and as far as it running, it fires up pretty fast.

Caddy75
08-15-10, 05:47 PM
Please don't trash it or let it deteriorate further. Even if you don't sell it it'll be a great show car and once you start driving one its hard to stop. If you do use it as a demolition derby car we may just have to hunt you down and have you tarred and feathered. [chuckles like Dr Hibbert]

Mighk
08-15-10, 08:16 PM
Haha, that's the last thing I want to do with it, I don't want to see it demolished.
It's going to take me another day for pictures I didn't realize today was Sunday and the yards closed on Sundays so I can't get it out of there till tomorrow. If it comes down to it and it costs to much to restore I can just sell the block and trans out of it and make money off of it. I'm just now about to turn 20 I don't have the funds to do this project if it costs to much, if I can't afford it I'll try and find a buyer who can and wants to fix it.

outsider
08-16-10, 09:54 AM
If it's not in too rough shape you could always restore it a little at a time...drive and enjoy it while you work on it.

Mighk
08-17-10, 11:31 PM
Sorry for the delay everyone, my truck ran into some problems yesterday on my way to pick up my car, I just got it back a few hours ago and the yard is closed, I'm heading down to pick it up first thing in the morning. By then I will have some pictures.

Aron9000
08-18-10, 12:15 AM
Sorry for the delay everyone, my truck ran into some problems yesterday on my way to pick up my car, I just got it back a few hours ago and the yard is closed, I'm heading down to pick it up first thing in the morning. By then I will have some pictures.

You are a master of suspense good sir:Poke:

If you think its going to be too much of a project for you, you can always get it running good and flip it. You can turn around and sell this thing for $500-$1000 depending on how rough it is.

water walkin warrior
08-23-10, 12:18 PM
Bu-Bump, Bu-Bump...Still would love to see some pictures.

Mighk
09-09-10, 09:23 PM
I'm sorry it's taken so long for these pictures, I have been swamped with work for the past few weeks but here they are, after such a long wait the 1976 Fleetwood Limo that I have had you all wanting to see.
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq25/mylifeyourlies/cadi06.jpg
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq25/mylifeyourlies/cadi05.jpg
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq25/mylifeyourlies/cadi04.jpg
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq25/mylifeyourlies/cadi03.jpg
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq25/mylifeyourlies/cadi02.jpg
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq25/mylifeyourlies/cadi01.jpg

It's a little rough, but it's a project haha, and as for flipping it Idk if I want to do that until it's finished even if it takes me awhile I have a few friends that are excited to help me when needed. The body and interior need to be fixed up, the front driver side door doesn't open and the transmission is shot. I'm fixing the transmission first then doing the interior and then the outside last probably.

greencadillacmatt
09-09-10, 10:42 PM
Fortunately you can find TH400s everywhere for cheap. Scrape the moss off the car and it doesn't look half bad. I'd drive it!

As far as the door not opening try spraying some lubricant down into the door mechanism to loosen it up. I'd air up the tires and see if she moves off in ANY gear first. Maybe it just needs the vacuum line to the trans or something simple like that. Good luck with it and keep us posted. I'm kinda jealous. :thumbsup:

Mighk
09-09-10, 10:59 PM
Any idea what model/package it is? I'll scrape off the moss tomorrow and post a few pictures of the inside as well as the outside without the moss, and for the transmission it's toast, it won't budge in any direction haha.

All and all, I'd say I made a good deal for $55.

greencadillacmatt
09-09-10, 11:14 PM
I do believe it's a Series 75 Fleetwood Limousine. They were the formal limos that I think Cadillac made in-house. As in, not farmed out to conversion companies. They are VERY nice cars. :D

Mighk
09-09-10, 11:18 PM
Haha, that's good to know :) Look forward to new pictures soon!

Bro-Ham
09-10-10, 12:50 AM
That's definitely a project!

In 1976 there were two models of that car: the Fleetwood Nine Passenger Sedan and the Fleetwood Limousine. The basic difference is the Limousine has a plain bench seat with no armrest in black leather in front and a divider window between the front and rear compartments. The Nine Passenger Sedan has a cloth bench seat in front, with a fold down center armrest, that matches the style and upholstery of the rear seat. All models had two folding jump seats and separate front and rear AC units.

In 1977 and newer, all of the cars like this were called Limousines, and the model with the divider was called the Formal Limousine. In 1977 there was only the front AC/climate control unit but there were override temperature controls for the rear compartment if the front climate control was set to "rear."

greencadillacmatt
09-10-10, 12:55 AM
Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me, Bro-Ham!

And Mighk, when it's done you really should bust a bottle of champagne on the bow-I mean bumper. :)

Bro-Ham
09-10-10, 01:05 AM
Matt, one of my all time favorite cars was my 78 Fleetwood Limousine. It was like a boat, though, my two favorite days with it were the day I got it and the day I sold it. They're fun for the 2 times a year when having a limousine is novel, and they are sit-around space hoggers the rest of the time. If I lived in NY city or Chicago there is no question I'd have a chauffeured 77-79 Fleetwood Formal Limousine to convey me from cocktail lounge to cocktail party every day. :)

greencadillacmatt
09-10-10, 01:33 AM
Mighk, did it come with the passenger-side fender skirt? I still can't believe that it's so clean (under the moss). I think you have a candidate for a great project.

Mighk
09-10-10, 01:49 AM
Matt, if that's the piece I'm missing off the back taillight I have a small part of it but it's broken so I don't have it is there a place I could buy one or snag one off another 76 fleetwood? I can find a few of these cars tore up in junk yards around AK.

Thank you everyone, I'll do my best to this car but do keep in mind I want to do it all myself (and a few friends) and it's my first restoration so it'll take some time. I'm going to have to go at is as money comes to me so I can start flipping the cars I have sitting around for the funds but cars don't sell in a day XD

greencadillacmatt
09-10-10, 02:10 AM
I think what you are talking about is the bumper filler. They are a common item on these cars. It's a rubbery plastic piece that goes in between the fender and the taillight. What I was talking about is the metal cover with the chrome edge that goes over the passenger side rear wheelwell. You'll notice that the driver's side wheel is covered up more than the passenger side is. That cover is called a fender skirt. They are detachable, and sometimes people take them off and put them in the trunk. At this point in the car's life it's kind of lucky to even have one of them (like you do) let alone both of them. Keep us posted, as I want to see what a $55 Caddy can do!

And don't worry about how fast or slow your restoration is. We all have budgets and time constraints. I've been working on my car all summer!

77CDV
09-10-10, 02:49 AM
Until I came to this Forum, I never knew moss could grow on a car. Now I've seen several with that. Most odd.

Best of luck with your restoration. Can't wait to see how the inside looks.

albymangled
09-10-10, 03:03 AM
Looks like a great way to spend $55!

I really like the big Caddies...style plus.

Mighk
09-10-10, 04:39 AM
Hmm, it might be in the trunk I haven't checked in there yet. I'll check while I scrape the moss off.

outsider
09-10-10, 08:36 AM
I'm so jealous. I wish I could get a car like that for $55. I paid $1400 for my 69 and felt I overpaid, although everyone else around here couldn't believe what a deal i got. hehe

robb257731
09-10-10, 10:15 AM
I would be afraid to open that trunk.....

lesinfamous
09-10-10, 02:28 PM
Congrats, the 1974-1976 fleetwood series 75 is my favorite model! (1975 being my personal favorite among the 3 years) I am trying to figure out the subtle differences between the 1975 and 1976 fleetwood limos besides the grille, and side lamp trim. Does anyone know if the intake resonator was standard on the 1976 model? I don't recall seeing a 1976 fleetwood with it. However, I always see the 1975 models with it. $55 sounds like a crazy deal! Is yours the limo or the 9 passenger sedan? Any interior pics?

Stingroo
09-10-10, 02:48 PM
That's cool as hell, honestly. :)

Mighk
09-10-10, 06:12 PM
It's the 9 passenger sedan, cloth bench seat no window between driver and passenger. The trunk doesn't frighten me, all it has in it is the spare tire and the separate AC unit attached to the back of the seat.

I'll have interior pics up within 2 hours it's got allot of spider webs.

Warren_R
09-11-10, 07:39 AM
I can't wait to see photos of the little guy, sounds like you got quite a bargain :)

lesinfamous
09-13-10, 12:36 AM
Mighk, what color is the interior?

greencadillacmatt
09-13-10, 11:52 PM
I'd just like to see the inside of a Series 75 in general. They seem very opulent.

Warren_R
09-14-10, 06:29 AM
Opulent for sure, they were the last word in plush driving :worship: And likely still are, electronics & flatscreens be d__d.

YourMainParadox
09-14-10, 08:49 PM
has it been two hours yet? :P

albymangled
09-15-10, 04:07 AM
are we there yet?

Bro-Ham
09-15-10, 12:47 PM
here are some links to the inside, private world of a 75 and 76 Fleetwood Limousine:

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/cadillac/75ca9.html
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/cadillac/75ca10.html

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/cadillac/76c_18.html
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/cadillac/76c_19.html

As you can see, the interior seat styling is identical to the Fleetwood Brougham of the era. The extra length and rear seat luxuries set the larger cars apart.

I hope life can be breathed back into this $55 car since they are quite neat cars. :)

77-79 Cadillac
09-15-10, 01:20 PM
I don't know if this will help, it might be worth a shot---http://jalopnik.com/5633859/worlds-largest-cadillac-ranch-s Hemmings Motor News list a lot of places to get Cadillac parts.