: Thinking about a new toy!

ben.gators
08-14-10, 07:18 AM
It is awhile that I feel like my life is so boring! I am thinking about a cheap project car to amuse myself. Fortunately I could find a good place to work on my cars (special thanks to Orconn), so I am not afraid of buying a car with some problems.

Recently ga_etc purchased a Camaro and also Destroyer was trying as well (what happened finally?). It stimulated my old feelings toward Camaros and I seriously started to think about buying one.... As an example, I could find this:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/1897361344.html

I believe based on the year and the fact that owner reports the car as V6, it should have a 3.4L V6, yes I know, a weak 160HP engine!

Definitely not a perfect car, but it can be a cheap project car. The problems don't look to be very serious, windshield, radiator, and a leak somewhere in AC. If I myself take care of the problems with some used parts the costs of repair and some basic tuneup should not be more than couple of hundred dollars, even it can be as less as 300-400$, unless the AC leak is from compressor!

I know that one of the main factors is my financial situation. I am a college student with steady flow of paychecks from university (I have full scholarship from university). I am not a rich person at all, but can afford a cheap project car. However saving some money instead of buying a second car can be a good idea as well!

Am I producing some problem for myself instead of amusing myself?

Stingroo
08-14-10, 08:29 AM
Yeah. Wait until after school to start tinkering around with project cars.

orconn
08-14-10, 03:09 PM
It just seems to me that your time could be better spent right now than messing around with an old car. For instance, I know for a fact that ASU is NOT a wasteland of good looking women! Perhaps getting out of the Engineering School and over to the Arts and Science campus more often might fill some of that time!

ga_etc
08-14-10, 05:21 PM
That looks very similar to my car. The 3.4 is a good motor and it's good on gas. That's why I got mine. They're reasonably easy to work on and parts are very reasonable. If it's a solid car it's well worth $900. Mine still needs new plugs and wires, but after I do that I'm going to get a friend to put it on the computer and "tweak" it a little and see if I can't get a little more oomph out of it. :D

ben.gators
08-14-10, 06:30 PM
It just seems to me that your time could be better spent right now than messing around with an old car. For instance, I know for a fact that ASU is NOT a wasteland of good looking women! Perhaps getting out of the Engineering School and over to the Arts and Science campus more often might fill some of that time!

Orconn! You are always couple of steps ahead of others! You never cease to amaze me....
To be honest it is a while that I have had a bit rough personal life.... I broke up with a girl I used to date (she was really crazy, accept my words!). I used to know couple of very great and perfect girls and suddenly they all get married! Indeed I hesitated and it was my fault too! Then two rejection and here I am! Trying to amuse myself by my passion for cars! :D

About ASU and engineering school and art and science campus: Yes, you connections are perfect Sir and they are updating you with correct information! It can be the time for me to head to the art campus! :D

ben.gators
08-14-10, 06:34 PM
Yeah. Wait until after school to start tinkering around with project cars.

Yes, it is a good idea to wait until I graduate.... However college guys need some hobby too! :D

ben.gators
08-14-10, 06:45 PM
That looks very similar to my car. The 3.4 is a good motor and it's good on gas. That's why I got mine. They're reasonably easy to work on and parts are very reasonable. If it's a solid car it's well worth $900. Mine still needs new plugs and wires, but after I do that I'm going to get a friend to put it on the computer and "tweak" it a little and see if I can't get a little more oomph out of it. :D

I have been reading very good reviews about this car. Definitely this is not the fastest Camaro has been manufactured. 160 HP engine can not provide a 3300lbs car with a very amazing acceleration. However it seems that the gears and shifting is designed to somehow compensate this problem. As far as I read during acceleration from a complete stop, the car remains in first gear for a longer time which gives a better acceleration and then it shifts to second gear and again the same scenario.

As you said the gas millage is great too. I am going to move to a new place which is 9 miles far from campus. So I will have a 18 mile trip every day. Having such a car can save me money. I do hate those clown cars that people buy as gas saver! But driving a Camaro which saves you gas too is a perfect idea! :D

ga_etc
08-14-10, 07:02 PM
I have been reading very good reviews about this car. Definitely this is not the fastest Camaro has been manufactured. 160 HP engine can not provide a 3300lbs car with a very amazing acceleration. However it seems that the gears and shifting is designed to somehow compensate this problem. As far as I read during acceleration from a complete stop, the car remains in first gear for a longer time which gives a better acceleration and then it shifts to second gear and again the same scenario.

As you said the gas millage is great too. I am going to move to a new place which is 9 miles far from campus. So I will have a 18 mile trip every day. Having such a car can save me money. I do hate those clown cars that people buy as gas saver! But driving a Camaro which saves you gas too is a perfect idea! :D

Yeah, they're really not bad. I will give you more feedback when I get mine all sorted out.

orconn
08-14-10, 08:05 PM
I went to the Univerity of Wisconsin-Madison, truth is for some reason they always put the Engineering School off in a corner away from where the co-eds are to be found. Take it from me, there are plenty of cute co-eds sitting home on the weekends who would really like to go on a date. Just a suggestion, try studying at the library where the liberal arts students study. You are a good looking guy, it shouldn't take you long before they get used to you being around and strike up a converstion during a break! The girls will be thrilled to meet a engineering student (good job prospects). I am glad the engineers at Wisconsin never caught onto the real situation with all the coeds, it would have made competition much more intense. In case you doubt the wisdom of my advice, let me just say that over the years I have found that there have always been plenty of attractive young ladies twiddling there thumbs in the dorms and sororities on the weekend because the guys don't know how to make contact!

iowasevillests
08-14-10, 09:53 PM
Agree with Orconn, get out of the engineering building and do some studying in some other libraries or common places. I graduated from Kansas State in engineering and the saying there(and likely other schools as well) was "to the females in engineering.....the odds are good but the goods are odd!" It was always better scenery studying in our all university library then in the sausage fest that was our engineering library....but then again the all university library didn't have smokin fast computers with dual 22's and free printing.....so each has its use

ben.gators
08-15-10, 04:20 AM
I went to the Univerity of Wisconsin-Madison, truth is for some reason they always put the Engineering School off in a corner away from where the co-eds are to be found. Take it from me, there are plenty of cute co-eds sitting home on the weekends who would really like to go on a date. Just a suggestion, try studying at the library where the liberal arts students study. You are a good looking guy, it shouldn't take you long before they get used to you being around and strike up a converstion during a break! The girls will be thrilled to meet a engineering student (good job prospects). I am glad the engineers at Wisconsin never caught onto the real situation with all the coeds, it would have made competition much more intense. In case you doubt the wisdom of my advice, let me just say that over the years I have found that there have always been plenty of attractive young ladies twiddling there thumbs in the dorms and sororities on the weekend because the guys don't know how to make contact!

I located liberal arts department and the libraries the students (co-eds) go to study! :lildevil: I am going to give it a BIG try! :urb:

:D

ben.gators
08-15-10, 04:45 AM
Agree with Orconn, get out of the engineering building and do some studying in some other libraries or common places. I graduated from Kansas State in engineering and the saying there(and likely other schools as well) was "to the females in engineering.....the odds are good but the goods are odd!" It was always better scenery studying in our all university library then in the sausage fest that was our engineering library....but then again the all university library didn't have smokin fast computers with dual 22's and free printing.....so each has its use

Yes, 100% correct! I never ever have seen a hot girl in an engineering class. Oh wait! I have seen once! It was the first day of DSP class in University of Florida! The class was held in a common building between couple of departments. I went and sat in the class. Suddenly two hot girls came and sat too! All the people in class were gazing at them! The girls realized that some thing is wrong! They asked isn't this psychology class? :D

Aron9000
08-15-10, 05:53 AM
Since I'm not really into girls, I'll leave my commentary out of that conversation:suspect:

As far as the Camaro thing goes, just wait until you can afford a V8 model(just don't buy a carbed or TBI 305 3rd gen, those are slower than a v6 4th gen). I don't care how damn cheap you can score a v6, its just such a step down from the v8 IMO. There are much more comfortable/spacious cars that are just as quick for the same $$$ as a v6 Camaro(3.8 V6 GM sedans come to mind).

While the purchase price on a V8 Camaro may be reasonable, insurance is another huge expense. Granted it drops when you turn 21, and SIGNIFICANTLY when you turn 25, but its still expensive. I just paid a six month deductible for full coverage on my 1998 Z28 ragtop, $440. Granted I'm 26, no tickets, no accidents, live in a good part of town, car is registered as pleasure vehicle with less than 10k miles a year, car has 95k miles on it, and is worth $7500 on a good day:bigroll:

I really wouldn't **** around with a project car until you're a little more financially stable. A project type car really requires you to own another, more reliable vehicle. So that way you can make runs to the parts store when your project is on jack stands, you can leave your project on jackstands for a few days while you commute to work/school in your "reliable" car

Stingroo
08-15-10, 08:45 AM
lol @ mentioning $440 for insurance.

I'd KILL for that. Just so you know. lololol My 6 month premium on the wagon was like.. $1200. I don't want to remember the exact number. It's too damn expensive. I have no tickets or anything, but I'm under 25 and have testicles.

It's not my fault. :(

hueterm
08-15-10, 11:18 AM
Wait till you get 'old' and buy a house.....

iowasevillests
08-15-10, 11:49 AM

I'd KILL for that. Just so you know. lololol My 6 month premium on the wagon was like.. $1200. I don't want to remember the exact number. It's too damn expensive. I have no tickets or anything, but I'm under 25 and have testicles.

Agree with Roo! My insurance on my Caddy runs 107 a month, when I was in HS/College and had a 95 Blazer(S Series, not the big beast) when it had full coverage it was 125 a month, when we dropped it to liability only it was still 60 a month. And turning 25 changed my rates on the cadillac all of about 5 bucks....a year!

CadillacSTS42005
08-15-10, 12:24 PM
Once you get the itch it wont leave, Ive had 3 Fbodys and 3 Cadillacs, one of each all the time.

ga_etc
08-15-10, 01:56 PM
Once you get the itch it wont leave, Ive had 3 Fbodys and 3 Cadillacs, one of each all the time.

Exactly. Only my numbers stand at 2 a piece.

orconn
08-15-10, 05:39 PM
Another tip on where to meet girls. This tip is for the more advanced girl seeker. Find out where horseback riding is taught in your area. Go to a local tack store (sells equipment for the rider) buy some magazines that feature the different types of horseback riding (English, Western, Gated, etc.) and figure out which appeals to you, if any. If you are in the store on the weekend you will probably notice there are quite a few women there. Ask around and get suggestions as to the more popular palces to ride and take lessons. Go to the place that sounds the best and observe the lessons and wander back into the stables and talk to the folks grooming and taking care of the horses as well as riding them. Do this a few times and you will be welcomed back. Take some lessons (you don't need to continue if you don't like actually riding a horse) and soon you will know where the attractive, economically advantaged girls hang out. If you are not a complete ass you will soon have attractive (don't be put off by the lack of makeup or otherwise work cloths appearance; these women usually clean up really well!) making conversation and otherwise flirting with you. They will usually be hungry after riding ... so take the hint!

From over ten years, first hand experience, in the horse world I can tell you a stables or other semi public horse facility is the number one best kept secret when looking to meet attractive women. Most are intelligent with careers, or training for professional careers, and are looking for male companionship, or know someone who is!

Hint number#2 do not waste your time hanging around yacht clubs. My lifetime experience in that activity tells me that attractive, single woman are not to be found around yacht clubs. So for guys this is a loosing proposition. For young ladies this activity is as big a bonanza as horseriding facilities are for men!

P.S. If you are a guy on campus looking for single woman on campus, find out where you college or university's inter-collegiate riding team rides and practices. You can just show an interest (you don't have to ride) and you will be a welcome addition to the scene. After my son went away to college on the East Coast, I was still in California, so I volunteered to be an announcer at inter-collegiate competitions around Southern California. Talk about a giant honey pot of attractive young college woman and no male competition! I wish I had known about this situation when I was in my dating years!

Destroyer
08-15-10, 10:37 PM
Recently ga_etc purchased a Camaro and also Destroyer was trying as well (what happened finally?). It stimulated my old feelings toward Camaros and I seriously started to think about buying one.... As an example, I could find this:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/1897361344.html

The inbreeders that owned my Z28 sold it AS I was going to look at it. Pissed me off but I'm over it. I would not even have thought about buying that car, it was purely sentimental. Believe me when I tell you that you are better off spending 4x more money and buy one in excellent condition needing nothing. Lots of headaches and expenses saved. Just think what a paint job would cost, how much a motor rebuild would cost, clearly not worth it unless it's a classic that has good monetary value. Also, it would have to be a Z28. :thumbsup:

ben.gators
08-16-10, 12:10 AM
Since I'm not really into girls, I'll leave my commentary out of that conversation:suspect:

As far as the Camaro thing goes, just wait until you can afford a V8 model(just don't buy a carbed or TBI 305 3rd gen, those are slower than a v6 4th gen). I don't care how damn cheap you can score a v6, its just such a step down from the v8 IMO. There are much more comfortable/spacious cars that are just as quick for the same $$$ as a v6 Camaro(3.8 V6 GM sedans come to mind).

While the purchase price on a V8 Camaro may be reasonable, insurance is another huge expense. Granted it drops when you turn 21, and SIGNIFICANTLY when you turn 25, but its still expensive. I just paid a six month deductible for full coverage on my 1998 Z28 ragtop, $440. Granted I'm 26, no tickets, no accidents, live in a good part of town, car is registered as pleasure vehicle with less than 10k miles a year, car has 95k miles on it, and is worth $7500 on a good day:bigroll:

I really wouldn't **** around with a project car until you're a little more financially stable. A project type car really requires you to own another, more reliable vehicle. So that way you can make runs to the parts store when your project is on jack stands, you can leave your project on jackstands for a few days while you commute to work/school in your "reliable" car

Hum, was my post so ambiguous?
anyway, I own a Cadillac STS, that is my main car and it never disappoints me! This Camaro was supposed to be my fun/ project car to amuse me, not a daily drive computer car that I totally rely on him.

I am not looking for a V8 or ultra fast car. At some point I may like, but not now! I already own a V8 car with 4.6L engine, I do not need another V8 anymore! Something more economical would be nice.

I got couple of quotes, and it seems that my STS is more expensive to insure than any 90ish Camaro, either V6 or V8! I am 28, no accident, no claim, no ticket and my insurance premium is really cheap! I could add a V8 1999 Camaro to my policy just for 90$ as my secondary car, or just for 75$ if I add the V8 Camaro as primary car and put my STS as secondary car (Since Camaro is cheaper to insure than STS). I do not carry compressive insurance right now, but my liability is way higher than state minimum requirement, plus I have Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury coverage to keep my own ass safe!

ben.gators
08-16-10, 04:28 AM

oh boy, 1200$ for six months! That is insane! I would seriously consider cutting away those "problem makers" if I my premium rate was 1200$ !

ben.gators
08-16-10, 04:31 AM

oh, yeah, no way to get rid of such itches! No cure and no way to escape....
I know I would buy a Camaro or Trnas AM soon or late!

ben.gators
08-16-10, 04:32 AM
Another tip on where to meet girls. This tip is for the more advanced girl seeker. Find out where horseback riding is taught in your area. Go to a local tack store (sells equipment for the rider) buy some magazines that feature the different types of horseback riding (English, Western, Gated, etc.) and figure out which appeals to you, if any. If you are in the store on the weekend you will probably notice there are quite a few women there. Ask around and get suggestions as to the more popular palces to ride and take lessons. Go to the place that sounds the best and observe the lessons and wander back into the stables and talk to the folks grooming and taking care of the horses as well as riding them. Do this a few times and you will be welcomed back. Take some lessons (you don't need to continue if you don't like actually riding a horse) and soon you will know where the attractive, economically advantaged girls hang out. If you are not a complete ass you will soon have attractive (don't be put off by the lack of makeup or otherwise work cloths appearance; these women usually clean up really well!) making conversation and otherwise flirting with you. They will usually be hungry after riding ... so take the hint!

From over ten years, first hand experience, in the horse world I can tell you a stables or other semi public horse facility is the number one best kept secret when looking to meet attractive women. Most are intelligent with careers, or training for professional careers, and are looking for male companionship, or know someone who is!

Hint number#2 do not waste your time hanging around yacht clubs. My lifetime experience in that activity tells me that attractive, single woman are not to be found around yacht clubs. So for guys this is a loosing proposition. For young ladies this activity is as big a bonanza as horseriding facilities are for men!

P.S. If you are a guy on campus looking for single woman on campus, find out where you college or university's inter-collegiate riding team rides and practices. You can just show an interest (you don't have to ride) and you will be a welcome addition to the scene. After my son went away to college on the East Coast, I was still in California, so I volunteered to be an announcer at inter-collegiate competitions around Southern California. Talk about a giant honey pot of attractive young college woman and no male competition! I wish I had known about this situation when I was in my dating years!

It is getting too professional! :D thanks Orconn, I appreciate this!

ben.gators
08-16-10, 04:41 AM
The inbreeders that owned my Z28 sold it AS I was going to look at it. Pissed me off but I'm over it. I would not even have thought about buying that car, it was purely sentimental. Believe me when I tell you that you are better off spending 4x more money and buy one in excellent condition needing nothing. Lots of headaches and expenses saved. Just think what a paint job would cost, how much a motor rebuild would cost, clearly not worth it unless it's a classic that has good monetary value. Also, it would have to be a Z28. :thumbsup:

Oh, sorry to hear what happened, however happy to see you are OK after all!

I fully understand your point in paying 4 times more and buying a perfect one. Purchasing a cheap car is nothing more than purchasing a collection of problems....
This fact holds true for daily drive cars or a pleasure car that you like to drive and enjoy the ride.

But here my first aim was to find a toy to amuse myself. Those imperfections in a DD car are a headache, but in a project car they are sources of joy and hobby! It involves locating the problems, searching for solution, and applying the solution and at the end it leaves a BIG smile on your face when you turn on the car and you see the problem is gone! That is what I was looking for.

Jesda
08-16-10, 04:46 AM
A fact of life with any FWD Northstar Cadillac: Have a few grand tucked away for a rainy day, then tuck away some more. Its good peace of mind.

Destroyer
08-16-10, 07:22 AM
But here my first aim was to find a toy to amuse myself. Those imperfections in a DD car are a headache, but in a project car they are sources of joy and hobby! It involves locating the problems, searching for solution, and applying the solution and at the end it leaves a BIG smile on your face when you turn on the car and you see the problem is gone! That is what I was looking for.
If you enjoy that then you are right. I don't have time (wish I did) to mess around the hood of a car right now. I would like to get my '67 Cutlass done one of these years. I already have a disc brake conversion for it and a new suspension. Just waiting for the weather to cool down and to find some time..........

Stingroo
08-16-10, 10:13 AM
If the weather cools down, I'd be SO happy....

ben.gators
08-17-10, 02:28 AM
If the weather cools down, I'd be SO happy....

is it so hot in florida?

Aron9000
08-17-10, 06:44 AM
is it so hot in florida?

In Nashville TN, we haven't had a high below 90 degrees since about June 3rd. Its been a really hot ass summer.

Stingroo
08-17-10, 07:27 AM
Not only is it hot, Ben, but it's also ghastly humid. It's been 90+ for the last month, with no break, and I'm pretty sure the humidity hasn't dipped below 80% either. And the heat index has creeped up past 100 several times.

ga_etc
08-17-10, 12:04 PM
With the heat index, we've been pushing 110* around here a few times.

iowasevillests
08-17-10, 01:18 PM
With the heat index, we've been pushing 110* around here a few times.

More often then not here in SW Iowa the heat index has been 110 to 120 at least 3 days of the week for about the last 3 weeks. Temps in the mid 90's and humidity around that 85% mark and no breeze makes for some miserable days. Finally cooling down and dropping humidity to more reasonable levels

Destroyer
08-18-10, 07:13 AM
is it so hot in florida?When humidity and 90++ degree temperatures are factored in: IT IS HOT AS ALL HELL! Sticky and generally nasty all around. I haven't even considered the beach or top down motoring in the last two months. At least no hurricanes................................:canttal k::thumbsup: