: Technology is amazing... coupled with the SRX

jcarlilesiu
08-13-10, 02:49 PM
So, I have been working on integrating my home media server with the SRX. I didnt like having to shuffle DVDs back and forth to the car, or download music on the HDD while having to make .avi files on a DVD to keep in the car.

So, I started to investigate multiple media servers and the connection of the media server through a mobile device for use in the car. As explained in other forums, many people are streaming Pandora through the Aux input in the car. I believe this takes it a bit further.

Me and my wife have a ton of music and movies on our home PC, which I wanted to utilize in the car easily.

I created a media server on our home PC which has all of the file locations and installed a program called Orb. Orb installs easily with a simple straight forward installation wizard. Orb runs in the background of the computer and is hardly noticeable.

I then visit www.mycast.orb.com on my cell phone, sign in with the user name and password created and I am able to access all media files on my home PC remotely from any computer or mobile device with an internet browser.

Purchasing of an RCA cable for my phone, which has a feature called "video out", I am able to hook my phone up to the RCA inputs in the back seat. This means that I can stream any video file saved on my home PC directly to the car. Additionally, I can view our home webcam on the PC on the monitors in the car, and stream photos and music. Additionally, all of this will work (for audio) through the aux input.

I tested the system out, and the picture quality is decent. It isn't as good from Orb as a DVD. However, I also have the ability to stream news, youtube, or any other web based media to play in the car.

No more DVDs and HDD frustrations.

Just thought I would share incase anybody else is looking for a way to avoid clutter.

TheCaptain
08-13-10, 05:29 PM
Badda bing! Nice find jcarlilesiu!

Ponyman
08-13-10, 07:20 PM
You tech savy people amaze me. I am doing good to use all the whistles and bells in the manual, much less figure something like that out. Old saying is partially correct, you can hardly teach an old dog new tricks.

Smokin' SRX
08-13-10, 11:07 PM
Good report and work. Thx for being honest re: pix quality. Not to sound spoiled ( but I am!) but I hesitated getting Roku, wireless interface, for streaming Netflix to my home TV, because I'm hooked on Blueray HD quality movies. Luckily, it's not to bad and very convenient to be able to grab a flix at a moments notice. You should be able to do that also, by streaming Netflix to your phone! Better have a car charger handy :thumbsup:

So I guess I'm with you.............convenience and versatility can trump optimum tech.

SS

mw1862
08-14-10, 02:17 AM
WOW. Orb is amazing. What a geek fest! Great way to use my media on my cell phone. Thanks... :thumbsup:

stevec5375
08-15-10, 12:24 AM
Is there a way to stream the video to the front monitor for those of us who don't have the rear seat inputs? Isn't Aux In only for audio?

sube5186
08-15-10, 11:24 AM
Is there a way to stream the video to the front monitor for those of us who don't have the rear seat inputs? Isn't Aux In only for audio?

Yes, the AUX input in the center console is only for audio. If you don't have the rear seat entertainment package, there are no other video inputs.

Sube