: Twin Turbo 3.0 Coming To Cadillac SRX

Lord Cadillac
08-13-10, 01:42 PM
The 3.0 liter twin turbo LF3 engine will be making it into the Cadillac SRX for the 2013 model year - which should also include some interior and exterior upgrades. The 2.8 liter will be dropped and the 3.6 liter base engine (non direct injected) will replace it. The twin turbo engine should produce around 350 horsepower.

There's also a possibility we'll see a two-mode hybrid variant with a plug-in feature (think Saturn Vue) in the not-too-distant future.

dctex99
08-13-10, 02:03 PM
Thank you thankyou thankyou Cadillac...I am so glad I waited; all the recalls,dead batteries in this currant underpowered Mexico product would have shortened my life.......I can wait til 2013 for a good one:yup::yup:

Lord Cadillac
08-13-10, 02:08 PM
If you want more power, there will very likely be tunes available to boost that horsepower up around 400 or so fairly inexpensively...

Ponyman
08-13-10, 02:25 PM
Actually, dc, I consider my 2010 a "good" one. I have had NO problems, except the chrome strip. It has plenty of power for my wife and I and meets all our needs. I am sure that there are things to come for the SRX that I would like, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the very fine automobile that I have. So, I hope you get your GOOD one also, and that you are satisfied with it. I meanwhile will contine to emjoy my present SRX, and based on my vehicle history, will probably be ready to trade by 2013, so I may also enjoy a GOOD one as you put it.

Smokin' SRX
08-13-10, 02:32 PM
Gotta tell ya I love my 3.0 AWD Performance! No problems w/ 1K miles yet, even though I do wish for more power at times. (10% of the time?) I only avoided the current Turbo because of the pronounced "whine" it made even under moderate boost. But chips are avail to boost even this one !

Late 2013 is when my lease runs out............Hmmmm...... Thx for the heads up! But I'm glad I jumped in 2010 :-)

SS

Lord Cadillac
08-13-10, 03:10 PM
Don't take offense to dctex99's "good" remarks. If it makes you feel better, change "good" to "better" - for the new SRX will be better than the current model. There are plenty of people who feel the current SRX is underpowered - just like most Cadillacs have been for the past decade or so...

In 1999 or so when I had my Eldorado Touring Coupe, I thought I had a fast Cadillac - it hit 60 in 6.6 seconds - then I met up with a Toyota Aristo (Lexus GS) that did it in 5.9... Cadillac needs to get on the ball in this area. And quickly...

Ponyman
08-13-10, 04:33 PM
It seems that people always associate more power with the quality of the car. Most automobile reviewers think every vehicle should have 600 hp and go 0-60 in 4 seconds. As long as the owner is satisfied with the power, then that is all that matters. The 3.0 has plenty of power for what we use it for, enjoying trips, and getting from point A to point B. The vehicle wasn't designed as a race car, so why do people think it should be so? If you want more power, then there are a multitude of high horsepower vehicles out there that will serve the purpose. As for the GOOD remark, I think dc said exactly what he meant, and I beg to differ. The amount of power a vehicle has is not a measure of how "GOOD" it is, unless that is ther criteria it was built for.

Lord Cadillac
08-13-10, 05:10 PM
As far as dctex99 is concerned, the "good one" is the one with more power. To each his/her own... Each person has their own definition of 'fast enough'. Some people like to sit up a little higher than the bulk of traffic on the road - but don't want to sacrifice good performance.. And, yes - there are other options out there for people who need a little more power.. Like the BMW X5 or Infiniti FX50. I'm sure GM and Cadillac would rather have something to offer these people rather than have them go elsewhere...

It seems that people always associate more power with the quality of the car. Most automobile reviewers think every vehicle should have 600 hp and go 0-60 in 4 seconds. As long as the owner is satisfied with the power, then that is all that matters. The 3.0 has plenty of power for what we use it for, enjoying trips, and getting from point A to point B. The vehicle wasn't designed as a race car, so why do people think it should be so? If you want more power, then there are a multitude of high horsepower vehicles out there that will serve the purpose. As for the GOOD remark, I think dc said exactly what he meant, and I beg to differ. The amount of power a vehicle has is not a measure of how "GOOD" it is, unless that is ther criteria it was built for.

TheCaptain
08-13-10, 05:32 PM
Boo turbo schmurbo. I want a supercharger! Whined it up! :D

Eh but i guess it takes all kinds. I'm rather quite happy with my 3.0L DI. Much happier if i got another two cylinders and some displacement out of it (V8) though... lol

Lord Cadillac
08-13-10, 06:03 PM
You're not alone. Many people miss the Northstar SRX...

Boo turbo schmurbo. I want a supercharger! Whined it up! :D

Eh but i guess it takes all kinds. I'm rather quite happy with my 3.0L DI. Much happier if i got another two cylinders and some displacement out of it (V8) though... lol

Smokin' SRX
08-13-10, 11:21 PM
Guilty! My '04 SRX AWD V-8 surprised many a Mustang GT. It weighed 4500Lbs (sound familiar?) and had a 5 speed autom. w/ 320HP/315Ft lbs. on reg gas! I became the Smokin' SRX!

Gotta admit though, I like my MPG better now...........

SS

TheCaptain
08-14-10, 01:38 PM
You're not alone. Many people miss the Northstar SRX...

Hehe, i was thinking more along the lines of the upcoming 5.5L DI V8... :burn:

Lord Cadillac
08-14-10, 02:08 PM
Guilty! My '04 SRX AWD V-8 surprised many a Mustang GT. It weighed 4500Lbs (sound familiar?) and had a 5 speed autom. w/ 320HP/315Ft lbs. on reg gas!

How did you do against those GTs? That must have been fun.. I love sleepers...

Hehe, i was thinking more along the lines of the upcoming 5.5L DI V8... :burn:

That would be pretty cool.. Our X5M competitor? :p

qball
08-14-10, 04:55 PM
Our 2.8 turbo has no whine as you describe but it does have tons of torque. God...a twin turbo...we couldn't afford all the speeding tickets. Can't wait to test drive one!

Smokin' SRX
08-16-10, 01:14 PM
How did you do against those GTs? That must have been fun.. I love sleepers...

That would be pretty cool.. Our X5M competitor? :p

From a roll of 15-25MPH I was able to keep up with the GT's and sometimes beat them to the speed limit. One guy stopped me at the light and asked...."what do have in there?" LOL

Never tried an X-5 but bet I would cream the six cyl and match the 4.4L V-8, that some had. Think it made 345 HP? The turbo and M series made more. Weighed about 200lbs more too.

I saw an add for the G-Force chip. $69 with a no hassle return privilege. Probably just gives a few more ponies ( I think they said 50!) but at big MPG expense, I'm sure. I read that it enriches the fuel mix /advances the timing (like a cold motor needs) and thus more HP derived all the time. An interesting idea..............but I don't need any less MPG......or warranty issues.......

SS

Smokin' SRX
08-16-10, 01:22 PM
Huh? the only turbo I test drove "whined" (actually whistled) so bad my first reaction was to turn off the radio, as it sounded like alternator whine of old! The salesman asked why I did that and I asked if this whine was normal. He said ...."yeah, it's a turbo!" If it was half-way quiet, I woulda seriously considered............

I've had supercharged sleds before, (like 1998 factory SC Pontiac Grand Prix GTP) and it was way less noticeable. Anyone else notice?

Glad you like yours! Bet it's fun!

SS

smiley47
08-16-10, 01:36 PM
Huh? the only turbo I test drove "whined" (actually whistled) so bad my first reaction was to turn off the radio, as it sounded like alternator whine of old! The salesman asked why I did that and I asked if this whine was normal. He said ...."yeah, it's a turbo!" If it was half-way quiet, I woulda seriously considered............

I've had supercharged sleds before, (like 1998 factory SC Pontiac Grand Prix GTP) and it was way less noticeable. Anyone else notice?

Glad you like yours! Bet it's fun!

SS

You must have test driven a "bad" turbo. Mine is almost indiscernible even at w.o.t. This is a pretty small turbo. I've had bigger twin turbos that did whine but I've never noticed it on the SRX.

KevinOpp
08-16-10, 04:44 PM
i have not heard ANY sound at all coming from my turbo, and i'm the kind of guy where "whines" and extra noise would drive me nuts. i agree, there must have been something faulty with the one that you test drove.

and, below is a repost from something that i had contributed to another thread recently:

"seriously, the turbo acceleration when at speed already is so fast it's frightening. i realized the other day that except for the times when i've pulled out onto a freeway or something, i've never been able to fully engage the turbo for more than 2-3 seconds. you just can't. you're going so damn fast already that you have no choice but to start hitting the brake, and it's just barely begun to kick in for real. doesn't matter if it's a 45 MPH zone, you'll be going 75+, or if you're doing 70 MPH, you're past 95. i've heard it's s small turbo and all, but holy lord.........if i can only use it for 3 seconds at a time, it's fast enough for me!!!!"

Ahwang826
01-12-12, 01:32 AM
was going to wait for labor day to try to get a deal on the '12 but maybe I should wait for the '13. Does anyone know if prices go down a lot when newer models come out or do they remain the same?

oops. totally necroed this post. my bad

TheCaptain
01-12-12, 07:16 AM
Hey, necroing isn't bad. At least you didn't post a well talked about topic without searching! :thumbsup:

The answer to your question is: yes the '12's will get cheaper the closer it gets into the '13 MY, and the farther it goes into the '13 MY if some are still on lots.

inspectorudy
01-12-12, 04:12 PM
I think Porsche does it the right way. They offer a six cylinder base model that can be upgraded to any level of comfort items that you want to a twin turbo eight on their Cayennes. Of course the price goes up with every improvement you make to your purchase. With the CTS-V line showing that Cadillac has the ability to offer a great powerful car as well as a family powered car, it would seem that they would have the technology to offer a more powerful car than just a turbo upgrade. With the popularity of the SRX growing I am guessing that they see this short coming and will address it soon ie a twin turbo. I am happy with my six in the '11 but on occasion I would like to have a little more low speed acceleration. Here in Atlanta it is prudent to get out in front of the heard before they can use your car as a pylon in there racer's quest for speed.

Razorecko
01-16-12, 09:41 AM
The reason you heard the turbo whistle is because the coupling was loose from the turbo and you heard the air sucking in. There was a tsb for this. The 2.8t pulls incredibly hard on the freeway - the 2.8t has a very terrific power band range. The only problem is that GM pulled back alot of tq at lower speed so from a stop it seems like a much slower vehicle than it really should be. How it drives on the freeway is how it would ride from 0mph if GM didnt take so much power out with tuning

KevinOpp
01-16-12, 11:27 PM
[/COLOR]
The reason you heard the turbo whistle is because the coupling was loose from the turbo and you heard the air sucking in. There was a tsb for this. The 2.8t pulls incredibly hard on the freeway - the 2.8t has a very terrific power band range. The only problem is that GM pulled back alot of tq at lower speed so from a stop it seems like a much slower vehicle than it really should be. How it drives on the freeway is how it would ride from 0mph if GM didnt take so much power out with tuning

any of those useless chips override this, btw?

----------

cool! that's what i had put in my post way up above. seems like i might even know what i'm talking about!:rollseyes:

"seriously, the turbo acceleration when at speed already is so fast it's frightening. i realized the other day that except for the times when i've pulled out onto a freeway or something, i've never been able to fully engage the turbo for more than 2-3 seconds. you just can't. you're going so damn fast already that you have no choice but to start hitting the brake, and it's just barely begun to kick in for real. doesn't matter if it's a 45 MPH zone, you'll be going 75+, or if you're doing 70 MPH, you're past 95. i've heard it's s small turbo and all, but holy lord.........if i can only use it for 3 seconds at a time, it's fast enough for me!!!!"

zinner
01-16-12, 11:29 PM
No one has cracked the ECU on the 2.8T SRX.

dctex99
01-17-12, 02:29 AM
Yup, as usual, there is an app for that....I mean TSB in the case of Cadillac...lololololololol:rolleyes:

Razorecko
01-18-12, 09:46 AM
any good gm vehicle tuner should be able to tune the srx. Prob it they would have to tune it on the street unless they had an awd dyno. I think the 2.8t is underrated in power and actually makes more than stated by gm but is waaaayy controlled at lower speeds. The life of the 2.8t was so short that the aftermarket just never appeared. Such a shame as a good intake and some downpipes w/ a tune the car could easily gain 50-60hp/tq

b4z
01-18-12, 09:54 AM
There are only a couple of tuners that have been able to do anything with HFE family of engines.

RippyPartsDept
01-18-12, 12:36 PM
that same 2.8T had been in Saabs for many years before it went into the SRX

Lord Cadillac
01-18-12, 02:33 PM
Why was the 2.8T so detuned? To save gas? If so, they should sell two versions - one to people who are more concerned about gas mileage - and another two those who are more concerned about performance. Or better yet, just allow two modes where the driver can switch between gas saving mode and high performance mode. Would that not make everybody happy?

RippyPartsDept
01-18-12, 04:45 PM
how are we certain that it was detuned? just because it flys when at speed doesn't mean the from zero pickup should be the same

Razorecko
01-19-12, 02:36 PM
how are we certain that it was detuned? just because it flys when at speed doesn't mean the from zero pickup should be the same

lol, i'm certain because 2011 2.8t owners got a TSB to re-tune torque management for better acceleration and less bogging...

I of course along with others have a 2010 2.8t which has the same issue except gm feels that for some reason it wasn't a problem the first year just the second.

RippyPartsDept
01-19-12, 03:00 PM
i thought that was a transmission TSB ... do you have the number?