: Texas is awesome.

Jesda
08-13-10, 05:18 AM
Its like there's unlimited space here. Everything is big, cheap, and people are friendly. Its hot but not swampy. Everything feels new, clean, and uncongested. The roads have lots of space, property has lots of land, and there aren't as many annoying mosquitoes here as there are back home in Missouri.

I wish I had an excuse to move here. :cool: The only thing I'd miss is winter. A brief winter allows a population to go into hibernation and contemplate its agenda, clear its mind, and go to 'sleep' so it can 'wake up' refreshed in the spring. I'm convinced that a lack of consistent snow is what makes Florida and California so wacky -- the hallucinations that occur when you stay up too long.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/PIC_0324.jpg

So, Texas joins Montana, Oregon, and Idaho on my list of favorite states.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-13-10, 07:45 AM
Say Jesda, where'd you take that photo? It looks like an elevated point, perhaps a bell tower....? I think you know where I'm getting with this.... ;)

I've always wanted to go to Texas. The state as a whole really seems to line up with my sociopolitical views.

iowasevillests
08-13-10, 09:54 AM
Say Jesda, where'd you take that photo? It looks like an elevated point, perhaps a bell tower....? I think you know where I'm getting with this.... ;)

I've always wanted to go to Texas. The state as a whole really seems to line up with my sociopolitical views.

LOL nice!

I don't mind Texas.....just keep me away from Dallas

EcSTSatic
08-13-10, 10:33 AM
I'm headed back down to San Antonio next month. If you travel north and south, take US281. It's a great way to see the Texas countryside and avoid the traffic.

HAZZARDJOHN
08-13-10, 12:53 PM
My parents spend their winters in the Texas Hill country. One of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Jesda
08-13-10, 12:54 PM
I wish I had taken that photo. It looks like the person who took it was within 5 miles of where I'm sitting. I have a nice view of the same valley.

gdwriter
08-13-10, 01:07 PM
I like Austin and San Antonio, and the Hill Country is very pretty. Too hot and humid for me, though.

Be sure to visit the Alamo and the Riverwalk when you're in San Antonio. The Alamo is very moving, especially when you know the story, and the Riverwalk is usually cooler than street level. Very pretty, too.

Cream_Devil_91
08-13-10, 03:42 PM
Always nice to hear others enjoying the home state!

I was born in Austin and my parents moved out to the country on my grandfathers land because they didn't want to raise me in the city. So here I've been my whole life about 65 miles southeast of Dallas. I'm moving back to Austin at the end of the month to room with some good buddies of mine from high school. What are you doing down here in Texas anyway? Is there some meet I didn't hear about? haha

Here's my yellow 1991 caddy posting on the Dallas craigslist http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1895937234.html

RightTurn
08-13-10, 05:49 PM
:cowboy: Oh hai.

CIWS
08-13-10, 06:11 PM
:cowboy: Oh hai.

:yeah:

thebigjimsho
08-13-10, 07:06 PM
Must be the fact I live in a small state. But I like borders that aren't a day away with nothing but illegals in my way...

thebigjimsho
08-13-10, 07:07 PM
Must be the fact I live in a small state. But I like borders that aren't a day away with nothing but illegals in my way...
Actually, I take that back. I love California. Although, that's without the politics and also that I have roots there...

All Texas has is guns, Maffew and teh Arties. OK, I love Texas, too...

thebigjimsho
08-13-10, 07:09 PM
I just wish my last trip to San Antonio didn't involve a drive from the airport to the Caddy dealer and hightailing it outta town to get home in a day and a half...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-13-10, 08:24 PM
To me, Texas is America at it's best. Everything is big out there, there's immense pride in their state (and the country) and I can't go much farther than that without getting too political.

orconn
08-13-10, 08:39 PM
Gee, Chad, why don't mosey on down to Texas and give it a couple of years try? You might like it, or you might not. But one thing is sure, you won't be in Minne-sota anymore!

gdwriter
08-13-10, 08:46 PM
...there's immense pride in their state (and the country)...What bugs me about Texas is the obnoxiousness of some Texans about how the "Great State of Texas." As if that's the official name. Or at least the brand. And how they look down their noses at "the 49 lesser states." Yes, they actually say that:

http://gdwriter.com/texas_pc002.jpg

I will admit, however, that the postcard is pretty damn funny. I especially like where my older sister lives, North Colder (and it is).

Then there are the ones who keep calling it "God's Country." Obviously, they're never been to Odessa. Or Lubbock. Or Archer City, where The Last Picture Show was filmed:

http://www.durangotexas.com/eyesontexas/textour/archercity/archerfiles/7.jpg

My response is always "God has much better taste."

I know not all Texans are like this, but the xenophobic ones are really, really loud, so they're hard to ignore. I should know; I'm related to one (my little sister).

Jesda
08-13-10, 11:07 PM
LOL, New York seems to be the same way.

77CDV
08-14-10, 01:11 AM
What bugs me about Texas is the obnoxiousness of some Texans about how the "Great State of Texas." As if that's the official name. Or at least the brand. And how they look down their noses at "the 49 lesser states." Yes, they actually say that:

http://gdwriter.com/texas_pc002.jpg

I will admit, however, that the postcard is pretty damn funny. I especially like where my older sister lives, North Colder (and it is).

Then there are the ones who keep calling it "God's Country." Obviously, they're never been to Odessa. Or Lubbock. Or Archer City, where The Last Picture Show was filmed:

I know not all Texans are like this, but the xenophobic ones are really, really loud, so they're hard to ignore. I should know; I'm related to one (my little sister).

I think it stems from having been an independent country for ten years. Texas isn't bad, and I wouldn't mind living there. Except, there are tornados inland and occasional hurricanes along the coast. Ginormous bugs, too. Hmmm. Back to AZ. :)

Aron9000
08-14-10, 02:08 AM
Except, there are tornados inland and occasional hurricanes along the coast. :)

Hey, the tornados and storms really put things into perspective and make you grateful to be alive. I've lived through one.

gdwriter
08-14-10, 02:12 AM
I was quite amused on my Christmas vacation when visiting the Iolani Palace in Honolulu. Texas may have been it's own country, but Hawaii was it's own kingdom.

I do not miss tornado season. Those things scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-14-10, 02:20 AM
I love twister season! So much excitement!

gdwriter
08-14-10, 02:28 AM
I love twister season! So much excitement!Not so exciting when you're holding a mattress over your head in the hallway while sirens are going off and the wind sounds like a freight train. More like terrifying.

RightTurn
08-14-10, 03:06 AM
Actually, I take that back. I love California. Although, that's without the politics and also that I have roots there...

All Texas has is guns, Maffew and teh Arties. OK, I love Texas, too...

:RightTurn:

dkozloski
08-14-10, 03:13 AM
The best thing about Texas is that it's a place for all Texans to go home to.

RightTurn
08-14-10, 03:20 AM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw. :gungrin:

CIWS
08-14-10, 08:28 AM
The best thing about Texas is that it's a place for all Texans to go home to.

:rofl:

hueterm
08-14-10, 11:41 AM
What bugs me about Texas is the obnoxiousness of some Texans about how the "Great State of Texas." As if that's the official name. Or at least the brand. And how they look down their noses at "the 49 lesser states." Yes, they actually say that:

G -- considering your political leanings, it's probably good that you landed in Oregon... I'm pretty sure that somewhere like Midland/Odessa/Lubbock, etc. -- you'd be the odd man out. (I'm sure Koz will have some comment now...)

Now Austin, from what I've heard, is much more centrist (well....liberal) ;-)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-14-10, 12:00 PM
Yeah, because I've always been pretty right wing conservative, I'd be at home in Texas (aside from Austin, lol), that's why I feel so comfortable in the quiet, conservative midwest. Going to a very liberal part of the country would be hell for me.

hueterm
08-14-10, 12:20 PM
I'd move to Dallas in a MINUTE! (Job, not withstanding, that is...)

Jesda
08-14-10, 02:04 PM
I could live anywhere with lots of decent and down to earth people, which excludes NYC (sorry Steve!) and Seattle.

Tornado season rocks.

gdwriter
08-14-10, 03:28 PM
Well, growing up in Abilene, you were either Baptist or Church of Christ, loved the Dallas Cowboys and were a Republican. Or you were going straight to hell.

I've always been a non-conformist, so I started rooting for the New England Patriots — still do 35 years later, and I still loath the Cowboys. After years of going to the non-denominational Chapel on base, my family joined a Baptist church in 1976, but now my sisters and I are all Lutherans. And while I was initially Republican, I've been a registered independent for 18 years and now lean slightly left since there's really no slight right anymore. During the 2008 election, I saw some survey that named Abilene the #2 Red city in America (http://m.reporternews.com/news/2008/oct/29/abilene-listed-among-nations-most-right-leaning-ci/), and it didn't surprise me a bit. I didn't fit in then, and I sure as hell wouldn't fit in now.

Not all of Oregon is liberal; it's mostly focused in Portland and Eugene. I don't know Eugene that well, and since it's the home of arch-rival UO, I'm biased against it. But Portland is a lovely city. Plus, I live in a swing district, and east of the Cascades, it's much more conservative.

But frankly, I've found — much to Koz's surprise — that there are plenty of decent and down-to-earth people of all political persuasions. Unless they're politicians, I don't really base my opinion of someone on their politics; in fact, I rarely care. One of my best friends voted for Alan Keyes in 2008 for crying out loud. My Mom, bless her heart, thinks Sarah Palin is swell. My Dad can't stand her and was not happy about buying Going Rouge for my mother when she put it on her Christmas list.

hueterm
08-14-10, 04:31 PM
ROFL at your dad having to buy that, probably grumbling all the while...

gdwriter
08-14-10, 04:41 PM
ROFL at your dad having to buy that, probably grumbling all the while...Oh he was. Has it been me, I would have simply refused on principle. I wouldn't want that harpie grifter to make a dime off me.

Were I feeling especially tacky, I would have instead bought one of Obama's books or Hillary Clinton's. :lildevil:

orconn
08-14-10, 04:45 PM
I won't presume to pass judgement on Texas; I have only spent brief visits in Amarillo and Houston. Neither of those two cities seem like voluntary choices of places to live. My real impressions of Texas have been formed by the Texans I have met who were living "abroad" from their beloved home state. By and large they seem like nice people, but boringly biggoted and closed minded to learning about the good points of places they encounter. Texans definitely have an image as ignorant rednecks, who when they can afford it, drink too much and try to impose their views on everyone around them. I know that this stereotype may not be fair to all the people of Texas, but I have run into enough ex-pat Texans to know that it does fit a good number. So I am afraid Texas does not attract me as a place to live, despite its' probable good points!

gdwriter
08-14-10, 07:57 PM
My real impressions of Texas have been formed by the Texans I have met who were living "abroad" from their beloved home state. By and large they seem like nice people, but boringly biggoted and closed minded to learning about the good points of places they encounter.That's been my experience as well, not just when encountering ex-pats but when I've been back in the "Great State." Pride in your home is fine; hell, I'm proud to be an Oregonian and have a Heart in Oregon sticker on both cars:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs269.snc1/9622_128330128093_776743093_2309825_2262676_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs165.snc1/6170_98579068093_776743093_1895322_7068402_n.jpg

I've just found Texas pride to be over-the-top. My sister, to her credit, has been all over the country and will return to Texas for good in a few years by choice. But so many people I grew up with really haven't been around much and stay in Texas because that's all they know. Less than 10 people at both of my high school reunions, at which there were probably 60-70 total came from out of state. More than half had never left Abilene.

gdwriter
08-14-10, 08:02 PM
But lest I sound like a complete Texas basher, there are plenty of fine Texans, famous and otherwise. Three of my favorite writers — Larry McMurtry, Linda Ellerbee and the late, great Molly Ivins — are all proud to be from Texas. And I have nothing but admiration for Lady Bird Johnson, Ann Richards and Barbara Jordan, all sadly gone.

Playdrv4me
08-14-10, 08:05 PM
Among the best places I've ever had the good fortune of living, and I don't really fit the Texas stereotype at all except for being slightly conservative. I don't even have the twang and I lived in TX from about 3 or 4 years old until I was 18.

Curiously, Austin TX is among the most liberal enclaves in the entire South.

If I had to choose a place to roost with a house, the Texas Hill Country is definitely on the short list (along with Arizona, Kansas and maybe California).

Jesda
08-14-10, 11:30 PM
Western Oregonians are liberal, but its tempered by a Ron Paul libertarian streak. Same for Texans, the people who actually put Ron Paul in office. They're conservative, but in a "get the government off my land" kind of way.

Its probably no surprise that two of my favorite states are big supporters of my favorite congressman.

77CDV
08-14-10, 11:57 PM
Love the Arizona Impalas sticker, Gary! :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
08-15-10, 12:12 AM
Yeah, because I've always been pretty right wing conservative, I'd be at home in Texas (aside from Austin, lol), that's why I feel so comfortable in the quiet, conservative midwest. Going to a very liberal part of the country would be hell for me.
Eh, you learn to put up with the douchebags if you love the place you live in...

77CDV
08-15-10, 12:50 AM

Funny, I always had you pegged as more libertarian than conservative. I guess it was the Ayn Rand that threw me off.

ga_etc
08-15-10, 01:57 AM
I'm almost afraid to ask what you guy's first thoughts are when you think of Georgia, after all the thoughts I've read on here about Texas. I'd like to think that the few of us Georgians who are on here regularly (Josiah, Rick, and myself) have provided a more positive view, though I'm not so sure Rick and his Jeep are the best examples. :hide: Just kidding Rick.

I can't add much to the conversation about Texas, other than I hear it's nice and I would love to visit. I hope to have the opportunities one day to be able to travel the country and explore the options that are available.

Jesda
08-15-10, 02:20 AM
I cant think of anything bad to say about Georgia. Its pretty and the people seem friendly. Atlanta is a happening place.

dkozloski
08-15-10, 02:27 AM
Texans are lots of fun to needle. They bristle up at almost any remark. It's very, very difficult for them to laugh at themselves.

thebigjimsho
08-15-10, 02:27 AM
Georgia has some of the nicest people on the planet. Texas no doubt changes from spot to spot. But after a great week in Atlanta back in '99, I was ready for the hospitality of Dallas in November for the Cowboys Thanksgiving Day game. The people I met in Dallas were cold and distant. As a whole...

Everybody in the Atlanta area were very friendly and personable. My brother and I were saying "y'all" for weeks...

gdwriter
08-15-10, 02:45 AM
Love the Arizona Impalas sticker, Gary! :thumbsup:Thanks! I was a founding member of this local chapter of the National Impala Association, and I actually designed that logo (although I had a friend who can draw do the artwork). I've loved flags since I was a kid, and Arizona has the most beautiful flag of all the states, with Alaska, New Mexico and Texas also standouts. The only thing that saves the Oregon flag is it has two sides with a beaver on the back.

gdwriter
08-15-10, 03:05 AM
I don't even have the twang and I lived in TX from about 3 or 4 years old until I was 18.Yeah, I don't have a twang either, which surprises people when they find out I'm from Texas (even though I left 22 years ago). I just tell them my parents were damn Yankees, and the two accents canceled each other out.

However, my college speech teacher, who became a mentor and a dear friend, has an accent so thick you could cut it with a meat cleaver. Whenever I see her, I just naturally fall into a thick accent. My standard greeting whenever I'd see her was "Well, hello Ann honey, how the hell are you?" Emphasis on "honey" and "hell."

OSU is playing TCU at Jerry Jones' billion-dollar pleasure palace at the first part of September, and a couple of people from my department are going to the game. I tried to worm my way into a trip by explaining I could translate Texan for them, but my boss is from Atlanta, and Southern is not that different, so she's fluent. Rats.

ga_etc
08-15-10, 03:18 AM
I'm happy to hear that Georgia has made a couple of positive impressions. There really are some beautiful areas around here. Especially here in the extreme northern part where the mountains are.

slk230mb
08-15-10, 01:29 PM
I could live anywhere with lots of decent and down to earth people, which excludes NYC (sorry Steve!) and Seattle.

Tornado season rocks.

haha :)

It's true. We have a couple of guys at work from the midwest / south and they just don't get us. They think we're nuts :cookoo:

Florian
08-15-10, 01:48 PM
I luvs me some Austin and the Hill Country.....so nice down there.

F

77CDV
08-15-10, 03:16 PM
I'm happy to hear that Georgia has made a couple of positive impressions. There really are some beautiful areas around here. Especially here in the extreme northern part where the mountains are.

When I think of GA, I think of generally polite, hospitable people who insist that you're looking far too thin for your own good and further insist that everything (and I mean everything) goes better with waffles and ought to be deep-fried. And you know all y'all had best save room for dessert! :D

93DevilleUSMC
08-15-10, 04:06 PM
When I think of GA, I think of generally polite, hospitable people who insist that you're looking far too thin for your own good and further insist that everything (and I mean everything) goes better with waffles and ought to be deep-fried. And you know all y'all had best save room for dessert! :D

I do believe you are forgetting your sweet tea, sir!

ga_etc
08-15-10, 04:40 PM

Sounds like you have been watching Paula Dean. :D I think she's our unofficial Ambassador to the rest of the country. And Josiah is right, you can't forget your iced sweet tea.

77CDV
08-15-10, 04:41 PM
Mmmm....sweet tea. :drool:

This is why I can't move down south. I'd soon be roughly the size of my car! :lol:

ga_etc
08-15-10, 04:46 PM
Which one? :D

orconn
08-15-10, 05:29 PM
Ah, yes, "sweet tea" the table wine of the South!

My son taught me that in Virginia you know you are actually in the "real" Virginia (as opposed to the despicable "Yankee" Northern Virginia) when you order iced tea and get "sweet tea."

hueterm
08-15-10, 05:32 PM
They have sweet tea here, as well. Unsweet is just fine w/me -- that's why they make Splenda...

93DevilleUSMC
08-15-10, 07:47 PM
Unsweet don't count, man. For it to be true Georgia tea it needs MOAR SUGARZ!

Stingroo
08-15-10, 08:06 PM
If the tea is unsweet, it's just blasphemous. Sweet tea or gtfo.

93DevilleUSMC
08-15-10, 08:08 PM
If the tea is unsweet, it's just blasphemous. Sweet tea or gtfo.

Agreed! MOAR SUGARZ!

orconn
08-15-10, 08:28 PM
"Tornado season rocks!" Obviously you guys have only been nearby bystanders at most. If you had born the full brunt of a tornado you wouldn't be so cavalier in your attitude toward this very real threat to life, limb and property.

hueterm
08-15-10, 11:37 PM
+1!!!!

Jesda
08-16-10, 12:06 AM
"Tornado season rocks!" Obviously you guys have only been nearby bystanders at most. If you had born the full brunt of a tornado you wouldn't be so cavalier in your attitude toward this very real threat to life, limb and property.

Nah. I've done the green skies, sirens, huddled by the wall, scared shitless, Wizard of Oz thing. After living in Washington for eight years, I missed having real storms.
Glad to have them back.

dkozloski
08-16-10, 02:25 PM
Texas has a far to high population density and way too many people. The damn things are everywhere, like locusts.

Jesda
08-16-10, 06:43 PM
texas has a far to high population density and way too many people. The damn things are everywhere, like locusts.

lol!

Playdrv4me
08-17-10, 01:15 AM
I spent a good 5 years in the middle of Tornado Alley (Wichita), another 5 in Florida and I still love thunderstorms, hurricanes and tornadoes. Few things on this planet immediately remind you of how insignificant you really are.

Jesda
08-17-10, 09:46 AM
I neglected to bring a proper camera. You'll settle for blurry images.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00227-20100811-1615.jpg
On highway 100 in Missouri, the sign reads "Auto / Meat sales"

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00228-20100811-1728.jpg
Absolutely no fun to take a road trip in, but I wasn't paying for gas. Trying to fall asleep in it is worse than waterboarding. You cant put your arms anywhere and the seats are -just- uncomfortable enough to prevent you from dozing off. The whole time you're rubbing shoulders.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00229-20100811-1729.jpg
Gross. He insisted.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00231-20100811-2040.jpg
Scion TC. The plastic trim right above the license plate fell off and was dangling by a wire.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00233-20100812-0238.jpg
Stopped in OKC to see Terry and Jessica and check out his M3. I havent seen them in four years. Last time I saw them they were engaged, now they've been married for a few years and are having a daughter in just over two months.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00234-20100812-0238.jpg

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00238-20100812-0243.jpg

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00240-20100812-1155.jpg
Go to San Antonio. I was introduced to the migas plate at Jim's Restaurant.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00241-20100812-1323.jpg
Gobs of open space.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00242-20100812-1331.jpg
The purpose of the trip was for Ian to register his Ram with TX plates, which his mother is driving.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00243-20100812-1333.jpg
I got bored and wandered over...

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00244-20100812-1333.jpg
100F outside.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00245-20100812-1436.jpg
At the DMV I took a nap. A Dodge Ram is as good as a king size mattress after you've been trapped in a Geo Prizm for 900 miles.
Note the nice pants.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00247-20100812-2249.jpg
Tried Whataburger.

Jesda
08-17-10, 09:47 AM
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00248-20100812-2317.jpg
Its food.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00253-20100813-1420.jpg
This meatball sub from Zito's was pleasing. Like all good sandwiches, the magic was in the bread.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00254-20100813-1433.jpg
Standard on every table in TX, apparently. Ketchup often had to be requested.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00259-20100813-1531.jpg
The Alamo. Short version: TX and MX fought over some land. After 10 years of being its own nation, TX was annexed to the US.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00270-20100813-1604.jpg
The Riverwalk. It snakes through the city and sucks in tourists like a Hoover.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00271-20100813-1810.jpg
I couldn't figure out why the hell Travelocity thought I was in Norway. I later realized it was because I had Opera Turbo enabled, which routes all data through their servers in Norway and compresses images.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00274-20100813-2047.jpg
Gas station food. En route to Corpus Christi.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00277-20100813-2213.jpg
Surprisingly, Travelocity's "Secret Hotels" got me a room for less than I was trying to bid for on Priceline. Shatner is losing his edge.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00280-20100813-2227.jpg
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00283-20100813-2233.jpg
Not bad for $73 on a weekend in a tourist town.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00282-20100813-2230.jpg
They ran out of doubles and I had no intention of sharing a bed.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00284-20100813-2327.jpg
Went to Cheddar's where margaritas were only $3.50 (and surprisingly not terribly diluted)

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00285-20100813-2347.jpg
Scarfed down a plate of fried shrimp.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00286-20100814-1223.jpg
Crossing the bridge to Padre Island

Jesda
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00288-20100814-1225.jpg

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00290-20100814-1228.jpg

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00291-20100814-1241.jpg
The road to the national park coastline didn't look promising. It was barren and quite long.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00292-20100814-1256.jpg
Then out of nowhere, BAM! Gorgeous coastline with 60 miles of drivable beach. Non-4WD vehicles are restricted to 5 miles.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00293-20100814-1258.jpg
Immersed my feet

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00294-20100814-1259.jpg
Entry was free for the weekend, probably to attract visitors due to oil concerns (there was no contamination)

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00295-20100814-1259.jpg
TONS of people.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00296-20100814-1313.jpg
I ventured out into the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00297-20100814-1314.jpg
brb, going to Cuba

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00298-20100814-1326.jpg
PRO-TIP: SALT WATER IS SALTY

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00299-20100814-1340.jpg

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00301-20100814-1417.jpg

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00303-20100814-1442.jpg
Went to Padre Island Burger Company for what was supposedly the best burger in Corpus Christi -- it was pretty spectacular.
I ordered "The Mexican" for $11. Generously seasoned with a little kick of pepper, avocados, jack cheese.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00307-20100814-1541.jpg
USS Lexington

Jesda
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00312-20100814-1548.jpg
Almost the entire ship was open for exploration, but most of it was insanely hot.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00317-20100814-1552.jpg
AWESOME. Never stood on an aircraft carrier before.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00321-20100814-1554.jpg
"Jet intake"

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00322-20100814-1555.jpg
Awesome

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00324-20100814-1558.jpg
Standing here was like being in a wind tunnel. The air was powerful and constant, enough that I had to hold my phone with two hands while taking pictures.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00329-20100814-1608.jpg
Made my way to the bridge.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00332-20100814-1609.jpg

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00334-20100814-1609.jpg
Amazing view

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00337-20100814-1611.jpg
Main quarters

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00338-20100814-1611.jpg
Chart house.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00339-20100814-1611.jpg

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00336-20100814-1610.jpg
Stuff that does stuff.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00343-20100814-1622.jpg
LOL, only in Texas would it say "You are welcome to play on the gun." A jerkwad state might replace the actual gun with a foam-based representation.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00345-20100814-1626.jpg
Barber shop on board

Jesda
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00350-20100814-1630.jpg
Tight sleeping quarters

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00352-20100814-1632.jpg
Engine room

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00353-20100814-1632.jpg
Cafeteria, generously sized with a separate butcher shop and prep room.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00354-20100814-1632.jpg

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00355-20100814-1633.jpg
Dentist office on board.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00356-20100814-1633.jpg
That monitor says "Zenith Data Systems", a brand I havent seen on computers since I was a kid.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00359-20100814-1643.jpg
Operating room

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00360-20100814-1647.jpg
Back on the main level. Here's a Jeep.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00362-20100814-1701.jpg
Heading back to San Antonio. Looks like the causeways in Tampa

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00366-20100814-1853.jpg
The Geo Prizm's factory radio sounded like garbage. I propped my Kindle up on the dash and listened to music on that instead, since it has two speakers.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00373-20100815-0314.jpg
The impressive 5-stack Dallas interchange! The tallest ramp starts at the ground level and climbs all the way up.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00374-20100815-0424.jpg
More gas station food.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00375-20100815-1550.jpg
At the Days Inn, "Made of virgin material". Tissues that actually brag about not being recycled.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00378-20100815-1939.jpg
LOL, this guy ended his life on the windshield of a Geo.

Jesda
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG00379-20100816-0322.jpg
As soon as I got home I grabbed the dog and went for a drive to undo the misery of that ****ing Corolla/Prizm.

Overall, despite the uncomfortable but dependable car, it was a nice trip to the gulf.

hueterm
08-17-10, 10:20 AM
You are mad, if you went to S. Padre Island and back in a Geo Prism......

Cool pics though, and cool dog.

gdwriter
08-17-10, 12:58 PM
"Sucks in tourists like a Hoover." :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: And pretty accurate, too.

Love the picture of the shop vac in the jet intake. The Navy is using those now instead of afterburners for extra thrust.

gary88
08-17-10, 01:30 PM
Neat pics! Texas looks nice. I'll likely end up going to Austin in 2012 when F1 returns to the US.

orconn
08-17-10, 02:49 PM
A tail gater beach, monotonous flat landscape, long drives to nowhere and two smelly industries oil and gas and cattle, and a bunch of rednecks claiming its' "God's Country!" Somehow this doesn't interest me as a place to live. But then that's why God created Texans!

Jesda
08-17-10, 07:07 PM
A tail gater beach, monotonous flat landscape, long drives to nowhere and two smelly industries oil and gas and cattle, and a bunch of rednecks claiming its' "God's Country!" Somehow this doesn't interest me as a place to live. But then that's why God created Texans!

Well, the pacific coast method is to get their Priuses stuck in the sand, then call a truck to come rescue them from the tide. I wish there were more driving beaches. There's one in Washington I intend to visit, and its car-friendly.

orconn
08-17-10, 08:07 PM
Can't think of any California beaches where the public can drive a 4x4 much less a Prius. If you want to dive on sand there is always areas of the desert set aside for off-roading.

But then I quess driving your car to the tidal zone, setting up a chair and doing a little surf fishing is Texas version of Minnesota's ice fishing. To each his own, I am sure they won't miss my presence at either activity!

77CDV
08-18-10, 02:53 AM
You deserve a Purple Heart for enduring that road trip in a Prizm, Jesda. I cannot imagine a worse fate in the corporeal world.

Playdrv4me
08-18-10, 03:26 AM
You deserve a Purple Heart for enduring that road trip in a Prizm, Jesda. I cannot imagine a worse fate in the corporeal world.

Oh f*** Jesda. I had to drive the damn thing all the way there and back while he sat on his ass! (Actually save for the lack of Cruise it wasn't that bad... but then I've owned 5 Lexuses so I may have some Toyota poison flowing in my veins).

ga_etc
08-18-10, 03:49 AM
Oh f*** Jesda. I had to drive the damn thing all the way there and back while he sat on his ass! (Actually save for the lack of Cruise it wasn't that bad... but then I've owned 5 Lexuses so I may have some Toyota poison flowing in my veins).

If you talk that way about someone you like, I'd hate to see how you feel about someone you don't. :hide: lol

Playdrv4me
08-18-10, 03:53 AM
If you talk that way about someone you like, I'd hate to see how you feel about someone you don't. :hide: lol

Trust me, it's mutual :)

ga_etc
08-18-10, 03:54 AM
I kinda figured as much.

Jesda
08-18-10, 05:26 AM
I've owned 5 Lexuses so I may have some Toyota poison flowing in my veins).

Its called AIDS.

Playdrv4me
08-18-10, 05:49 AM
Its called AIDS.

Shhh... Shh shh.

77CDV
08-18-10, 04:00 PM
"It wasn't that bad." Now that's a ringing endorsement for any car! Almost as good as "I didn't mind it too much." :lol:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-18-10, 06:13 PM
Looks like a great trip Jesda, even if the means of transportation left much to be desired.

RightTurn
08-19-10, 12:11 AM
MIGAS!! :drool: Breakfast of champions! Hope you had plenty of jalapenos. Nom.

gdwriter
08-19-10, 02:10 AM
"It wasn't that bad." Now that's a ringing endorsement for any car! Almost as good as "I didn't mind it too much." :lol:Or "she's got a good personality." :histeric:

Playdrv4me
08-19-10, 02:48 AM
Or "she's got a good personality." :histeric:

Lol!!! That's *exactly* what it is.

77CDV
08-19-10, 03:09 AM
Toyo products have personality? Now that's news!

Playdrv4me
08-19-10, 03:59 AM
Toyo products have personality? Now that's news!

Well played!

CadillacCastle
08-28-10, 04:01 AM
And how they look down their noses at "the 49 lesser states." Yes, they actually say that:
What bugs me about Texas is the obnoxiousness of some Texans about how the "Great State of Texas." As if that's the official name. Or at least the brand. And how they look down their noses at "the 49 lesser states." Yes, they actually say that:http://gdwriter.com/texas_pc002.jpg I've lived in Texas 52 years and have never heard that. Texas is a mix of all types of people and most are friendly. I live in a small town of 1000 people and only one red light, I really appreciate the small city after coming back from big cities with traffic jams. All of Texas and Texans are not the same. I would not judge California by thinking everyone was like Charles Manson. All states have their good and bad points. Enjoy the good and avoid the bad wherever you are. Be happy wherever you are. I like Texas gun laws like the castle gun law being able to carry a gun in my car without a permit. CadillacCastle

The-Dullahan
08-31-10, 04:08 AM
I don't know, I have always referred to Florida as Swamp Land. Interestingly, the swamp is probably the best thing about the entire state.

Texans need to learn, the only TRULY Great States are quite obviously Pennsylvania, for the high concentration of Hearse Owners and Celtic immigrants and Alaska, because it is so gigantic that it can only truly be described as Great. I have heard it told that you can "see Russia" from there, but I don't feel like believing that, because that would also mean Dinosaurs never existed and that soccer moms (Or maybe Hockey/Curling?) would make good presidents.

The-Dullahan
08-31-10, 04:09 AM
Well, the pacific coast method is to get their Priuses stuck in the sand, then call a truck to come rescue them from the tide. I wish there were more driving beaches. There's one in Washington I intend to visit, and its car-friendly.

Get a Handicapped plate and visit FL, the Beach is then yours. That's what I did.