: Should I replace my AC Compressor?

rnunez76
08-12-10, 12:34 PM
I had the A/C comressor pulley go out on my 94 fleetwood and i replaced it about a month ago but needed a special tool to get the clutch plate back on. finally found the tool at local autoparts store and put the clutch plate on. Now my AC does not blow cold. Also just yesterday i started hearing a grinding noise similar to when the pulley went out the first time. Is it time for me to replace the compressor? How hard of job would it be a for a non-pro.

jayoldschool
08-12-10, 01:34 PM
Depends on how handy you are. The compressor is a little hard to get to on the LT1 cars (under the alternator). If you do the replacement, make sure that you fill the new compressor with the proper amount of oil, replace the o ring seals on the back where the hoses connect, change the orifice tube. Then, get it vacuumed at a shop. You can have them fill, or bring it home and fill it yourself.

rnunez76
08-12-10, 02:33 PM
Are there any tips for removing the compressor? will removing the alternator make the job any easier? i am thinking of doing the work myself this weekend.

jayoldschool
08-12-10, 04:51 PM
You must remove the alternator. To get the compressor out, you do some from the top, and some from the bottom. Make sure you do the other things I said.

rnunez76
08-27-10, 09:13 AM
one more question. how do i manually engage the compressor? i was told i am completely out of freon. i want to fill it up but the AC will not engage.

jayoldschool
08-27-10, 02:14 PM
On the accumulator (big silver can on the passenger side firewall) take off the pressure switch connector. Start the car, and put the AC on MAX. Take a piece of wire, and short across the two contacts on the plug you just took off. The compressor will run. Don't do it for long. If it doesn't run, you have other problems.

The accumulator is the part behind the rad cap and the power steering reservoir.

http://dempseybowling.com/cars/9c1/95_9c1-e.jpg

jayoldschool
08-27-10, 02:14 PM
On the accumulator (big silver can on the passenger side firewall) take off the pressure switch connector. Start the car, and put the AC on MAX. Take a piece of wire, and short across the two contacts on the plug you just took off. The compressor will run. Don't do it for long. If it doesn't run, you have other problems.

The accumulator is the part behind the rad cap and the power steering reservoir.

http://dempseybowling.com/cars/9c1/95_9c1-e.jpg