: Mileage too LOW ??

GailyBedight
08-11-10, 11:31 PM
Looking at 1998 Deville with only 20,000 miles! Any ideas as to what to look for? Looks like tires have been replaced, but no other work is obvious. 12 year old car, 20,000 miles = 140 miles/month, if it didn't sit for 11 years.

Let me know what you think.

Ranger
08-11-10, 11:44 PM
Anything is possible. It's pretty hard to clock the odometers on these cars now a days. You may have found a diamond in the ruff.

orconn
08-11-10, 11:53 PM
If memory serves, one of our members bought a beautiful 1998 or '99 Seville with only 28,000. miles on it, just a few months ago. Haven't heard any compalints from him.

Two years ago I bought a 2002 Seville SLS with 23,000 miles. The car was pristine and looked showroom, we now have 48,000 miles on it and have only done regualr service, a wheel bearing and new tires. The car has been great!

Jesda
08-12-10, 11:34 AM
With some low mileage cars, a lot of the factory defects havent been ironed out. And since the warranty is over, you will pay out of pocket for them. But if it was started and driven around the block every couple weeks and none of the hoses and seals are rotted, then you're good to go.

Its a tough call.

Rolex
08-12-10, 06:56 PM
Who the hell buys a cadillac and only drives it 140 miles/month?!? :thepan:

I'm picturing the typical blue-haired little old lady that barely sees over the steering wheel, and drives the shiny Cadillac once a week to church and once a month to get her hair did.

ben.gators
08-12-10, 07:04 PM
I'm picturing the typical blue-haired little old lady that barely sees over the steering wheel, and drives the shiny Cadillac once a week to church and once a month to get her hair did.

Never underestimate blue haired old ladies that are on their way to hair saloon!
72-Year-Old lady Blames 102 MPH in a 45 mph zone On 'Hair Appt.' :D
(http://www.wyff4.com/news/23606142/detail.html)

Rolex
08-12-10, 07:25 PM
Holy crap!! Did you see how many more cop cars showed up after he had her stopped? I'm betting he was counting on her running from him by the way she was moving.

I'll have to try that excuse in the future though....."officer I have a urinary tract infection which is known to make me drive a little crazy." :pwn:

hueterm
08-12-10, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't say that was too low unless it had sat for like 10 years. Of course, you're dealing w/a '90s Deville....so who knows.....

Playdrv4me
08-12-10, 11:11 PM
The "too low" mileage question really varies from car to car. A 1998 Deville is definitely a car that I would NOT take with mileage that low UNLESS it had a meticulous history of maintenance driving, coolant changes being done on time, and general proper care for a "garage queen". If it just sat around for 12 years with minimal driving I'd run.

Same goes for things like Boxsters... Lots of catastrophic early issues that are likely long since addressed at 80, 90, 100k etc.

Bro-Ham
08-13-10, 12:49 AM
It's 20,000 miles, not 2,000 miles or 200 miles. It's hopefully pretty much a time capsule, if the car is not super pristine then be suspicious. If a 1998 deVille is a car you really want then why not get the lowest mileage and cleanest example available? I would do it. :)

GailyBedight
08-13-10, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the input. Been looking at cost, (used car dealer), Edmunds, Kelley, and NADA. Range is 5250 - 8650. Is there any magic formula these dealers use for pricing a car? I've got a feeling that they are going to want a lot more than book value for the car.

orconn
08-13-10, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the input. Been looking at cost, (used car dealer), Edmunds, Kelley, and NADA. Range is 5250 - 8650. Is there any magic formula these dealers use for pricing a car? I've got a feeling that they are going to want a lot more than book value for the car.

Anyway you slice it a '98 is twelve years old, so despite its' low mileage it is only worth what someone (and I'd say very few) would be willing to pay the higher end of the range you mentioned. Remember that the allowance in the blue book for low mileage is a pitance compared to the cars overall depreciation. So if you want the car make the guy an offer based on an excellent condition example of a 1998 Deville in your area.

Playdrv4me
08-13-10, 07:35 PM
Is there any magic formula these dealers use for pricing a car?

Yes, whatever they can get someone to pay.

ben.gators
08-13-10, 08:40 PM
Yes, whatever they can get someone to pay.
:yeah:

And it is a function of market condition as well,e.g. during tax return periods the prices go high.

Used car market is very tricky! The price of a new car is almost knows (MSRP minus some factory and dealer discounts). The price range of used cars with less than 7-8 years age is still some how known. But the price of older cars totally depends on the overall condition of the car and how much a potential costumer wants to pay! These old cars are usually trade in cars that dealers pay no more than 2500$ (in the best case!) for them. So dealers (or second hand dealers) leave these cars in a corner of their lot until an interested costumer comes and then dealers try to charge him as far as they can! This is the formula....

Ranger
08-13-10, 10:32 PM
Decide what you are willing to pay BEFORE you walk in and talk. Also check cars.com and autotrader to see what comparable cars are actually selling for in this area. Bring your check book and let the salesman see it. He'll start to salivate. Make your offer and stick with it (be reasonable). If you made a reasonable offer he won't let you out the door.

EChas3
08-14-10, 06:43 PM
Just for grins, I've been watching the price of a 2008 Black Cherry STS at a local dealer. He's had it for about 6 months and reduced the price twice. He started at $34,999 (no harm in asking!)

I think it's still over-priced at $29,954, but it's gotta be eating at his floor-plan loan. IMHO, it will for a while longer.

Ranger
08-14-10, 10:38 PM
If he's had it for 6 months, don't wait. He'll be happy to see you. Make him an offer. If he turns it down....... walk. He may call you back in a couple of weeks.

hueterm
08-15-10, 12:15 AM
N* or V6? Based on your current assortment, I'm assuming N*.....

JayP71
08-15-10, 02:08 PM
This car has done a lot of sitting at that mileage. Average for the age would be around 125,000 or so. Not always a big deal. Have a mechanic check it out for rotted/leaking seals...and expect a few of them to let go once it is being driven regularly. Have the transmission serviced immediately after purchase. The tires were likely replaced due to dry rot, it certainly wasn't for the mileage.

My first Cadillac had sat for 12 years when I bought it (a '72 in '95) I had to deal with most of these problems. And fix the reason it was pushed behind the barn in the first place...

hueterm
08-15-10, 02:32 PM
Just don't FLUSH the trans.........