: I'm pondering a Porsche Boxster.

Jesda
08-11-10, 02:09 AM
MORE LIKE 'POOR'SCHE

Seriously though, I'm thinking about it. I've looked at all the warnings, all the quirks, all the hazardously expensive repairs. It seems like most of what goes wrong happens during the warranty period, so by now (8-12 years, 60-100k) all of it has been ironed out or corrected.

Should I do it? Its one of the few major brands I haven't yet experienced. Looks like the nicest examples are in the gay-car capital of the universe, the SF Bay area. I'd like to spend under $10k.

The Saab isn't going anywhere. I'm worried what would happen to Ducky in the hands of a typical used car owner.

http://www.cheapsupercars.net/Boxster.jpg
http://www.cheapsupercars.net/Boxster.jpg

ben.gators
08-11-10, 02:20 AM
I personally like Porsche! :D

But with less that 10K$ I am not sure you can find a Porsche in decent condition....

Do you have seen "Two and half men", season 2 episode 22? I suggest you watch it! :D That is fun.. In this episode Alan purchased (was given) a Porsche and the whole episode was about it. It is very funny!

gdwriter
08-11-10, 02:35 AM
I did a couple of buyer's inspections on first-generation Boxsters. They did absolutely nothing for me. But I'm not a Porsche fan, so YMMV.

With the mid-engine, I think maintenance and repairs could get spendy real quick.

Playdrv4me
08-11-10, 04:03 AM
I personally like Porsche! :D

But with less that 10K$ I am not sure you can find a Porsche in decent condition....

You'd be surprised, there is a ton of nice ones out there for 8-10k with reasonable mileage.

ga_etc
08-11-10, 04:55 AM
If it's what you like and can afford, I say go for it. I see more allure in a Miata for my personal taste though.

ben.gators
08-11-10, 05:48 AM
You'd be surprised, there is a ton of nice ones out there for 8-10k with reasonable mileage.

Hum, right now I went and did a fast craigslist search (listed by owner to insure the minimum price) and to be honest all of Porsches in this price range were at least 15 years old, and with at least 100K miles on them. By the way, there were two newer ones with less miles on them, BUT in the body of advertisement I saw sentences like "it just needs a sensor" or "a simple fix, I do not have money to do it"!

At least in our area I could not find a good deal.

Jesda
08-11-10, 05:53 AM
were at least 15 years old

?? The car came out in 1997.

ben.gators
08-11-10, 06:05 AM
?? The car came out in 1997.

I was searching "porsche", so my search included Boxster as well. So my search results stands correct, and it implies that there was no Boxster in our area in this price range!

UPDATE: I searched ebay, I could find this Boxster 97. It has reasonable age and millage:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-PORSCHE-BOXTER-LOADED-JUST-SERVICED-MANUAL-/190428541816?pt=US_Cars_Trucks
It seems to be a nice car if there is no hidden problem!

The other Bosxters were mostly very expensive, or wrecked!

Aron9000
08-11-10, 06:21 AM
If it's what you like and can afford, I say go for it. I see more allure in a Miata for my personal taste though.

You'd get 97% of the shits and giggles with a second gen NB Miata for about 3% of the maintenance/repair cost of a 97-2000ish Boxster.

I can think of ONLY four things the Porsche has going for it over a 2nd gen Miata:

1. More trunk space
2. More horsepower, slightly quicker, unless you buy a factory turbocharged Mazdaspeed Miata, which is significantly quicker 2.5L motored Boxster
3. Better exhaust note
4. Bigger wheels/tires, which equals to more ultimate grip, not something you'd notice unless you're driving both cars past 7/10ths of the limit.

Reasons why I feel that the Miata is a much better car:

1. Better build quality- Miata has a glass rear window, Porsche is plastic. The Miata interior is very well built, and can be very luxurious with the wood wheel/shift knob in some of the top line models. The Porsche just feels unspeakbly cheap with lots of hard plastic.

2. Weight- Porshe 2900lbs, Miata 2350lbs

3. Maintenance costs. Shit doesn't break all that often in a Miata, they're generally considered one of the most reliable sports cars you can buy. When it does, parts are WAY WAY WAY cheaper.

4. Labor costs. Miatas are easy to work on, hell if I had one I would wrench on it myself. Mid-engined+German=$$$$ Even a simple problem like a sensor might require you to drop the motor on a Boxster, since that's the only way you can access the top of the motor.

5. Catastrophic engine failures- Boxsters are known for it, Miatas are not. New engines are to the tune of $6-10k for the Boxster.
http://www.piperboxster.com/Engines-failure.htm

6. Aftermarket parts- Huge aftermarket for Miatas, parts are reasonable. Turbocharging, premade roll bars/cages, every suspension part you can imagine, big brakes, hell people have even put v8's in them. Boxster aftermarket is considerbly smaller and parts are much more $$$

I really just don't want you to buy a total POS, which is the catergory I lump the 1st gen Boxster in. You can buy a much better built, better engineered, more reliable, cheaper to maintain, newer, lower mileage, better optioned car for the same $$$$ with a Miata.

Playdrv4me
08-11-10, 07:02 AM
I was searching "porsche", so my search included Boxster as well. So my search results stands correct, and it implies that there was no Boxster in our area in this price range!

UPDATE: I searched ebay, I could find this Boxster 97. It has reasonable age and millage:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-PORSCHE-BOXTER-LOADED-JUST-SERVICED-MANUAL-/190428541816?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

We're willing to travel anywhere in the country for the most part Ben. There's several on Auto trader.

Jesda
08-11-10, 07:13 AM

Nah, I've found two dozen nationwide.

Miatas are too common, and me being obsessed with them for 17 years has caused them to become too familiar. Thus, the desirability is lower. The only Miata I want is a BRG or Starlight Mica NA, preferably 1.6L (with the short nose crank problem fixed). Closest alternative to the Boxster is the Honda S2000, but the JDM boy-racer image is unappealing, and the F-series motor borders on being annoying.

Jesda
08-11-10, 07:15 AM
We're willing to travel anywhere

That statement sounds gayer than two dudes in a two-seat convertible.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-11-10, 09:04 AM
Buy one in a masculine color for the love of god. If you're thinking Porsche, how about an older 911 as well?

HAZZARDJOHN
08-11-10, 11:16 AM
Boxter = Girl Porsche

/thread.

Stingroo
08-11-10, 11:18 AM
Boxter = Girl Porsche

/thread.

Indeed.

Submariner409
08-11-10, 11:42 AM
If you can swing it and can find a decent one, you owe it to yourself to experience at least one Porkchop in life. Very much fun cars.......and they can be driven scary fast if the mood strikes.

gary88
08-11-10, 12:19 PM
Early Boxsters are known for rear main seal and intermediate shaft failures, but those problems were somewhat exaggerated by people being able to finally complain about stuff on the internet back when they first came out. Also the plastic shifter linkage on early '98-'00 models is flawed and can leave you without a reverse or 5th gear.

The non-S models are slow, find the best condition Boxster S you can. They're fantastic driver's cars, handle great, and have some balls. Some actually prefer how they drive over the 911 due to the mid-engine layout.

thebigjimsho
08-11-10, 12:55 PM
Early Boxsters are known for rear main seal and intermediate shaft failures, but those problems were somewhat exaggerated by people being able to finally complain about stuff on the internet back when they first came out. Also the plastic shifter linkage on early '98-'00 models is flawed and can leave you without a reverse or 5th gear.

The non-S models are slow, find the best condition Boxster S you can. They're fantastic driver's cars, handle great, and have some balls. Some actually prefer how they drive over the 911 due to the mid-engine layout.
That's going to limit him to a 2000-newer car. And that shall bust the budget.

Florian
08-11-10, 01:07 PM
Boxster = Im flaming or I cant afford a 911

Weak sauce.

F

orconn
08-11-10, 01:49 PM
Somehow, Jesda, I just don't see you enjoying a Boxer for very long. Miata, yes, Porsche no! But if you've got the yen and the bucks .... go for it while you are young and can enjoy all the advantages and can recover from any financial damage.

The only Porsche that ever turn me on is the 928 .... and even then the contemporary competitiion always won! I have known many folks who swear by Porsche ... and few that swear at them, but I was never sure it it was the car or the prestige that the owner perceived that was doing the trick!

hueterm
08-11-10, 02:28 PM
Love the 928.

I actually like the Cayman OK. Not big on the Boxter, but the only convertible I'd ever consider is a M-B SL.

Never been a 911 fan of any kind. I like Panamera and Cayenne OK, but other options are so much more my thing...

drewsdeville
08-11-10, 03:03 PM
You'd get 97% of the shits and giggles with a second gen NB Miata for about 3% of the maintenance/repair cost of a 97-2000ish Boxster.

I can think of ONLY four things the Porsche has going for it over a 2nd gen Miata:

1. More trunk space
2. More horsepower, slightly quicker, unless you buy a factory turbocharged Mazdaspeed Miata, which is significantly quicker 2.5L motored Boxster
3. Better exhaust note
4. Bigger wheels/tires, which equals to more ultimate grip, not something you'd notice unless you're driving both cars past 7/10ths of the limit.

Reasons why I feel that the Miata is a much better car:

1. Better build quality- Miata has a glass rear window, Porsche is plastic. The Miata interior is very well built, and can be very luxurious with the wood wheel/shift knob in some of the top line models. The Porsche just feels unspeakbly cheap with lots of hard plastic.

2. Weight- Porshe 2900lbs, Miata 2350lbs

3. Maintenance costs. Shit doesn't break all that often in a Miata, they're generally considered one of the most reliable sports cars you can buy. When it does, parts are WAY WAY WAY cheaper.

4. Labor costs. Miatas are easy to work on, hell if I had one I would wrench on it myself. Mid-engined+German=$$$$ Even a simple problem like a sensor might require you to drop the motor on a Boxster, since that's the only way you can access the top of the motor.

5. Catastrophic engine failures- Boxsters are known for it, Miatas are not. New engines are to the tune of $6-10k for the Boxster.
http://www.piperboxster.com/Engines-failure.htm

6. Aftermarket parts- Huge aftermarket for Miatas, parts are reasonable. Turbocharging, premade roll bars/cages, every suspension part you can imagine, big brakes, hell people have even put v8's in them. Boxster aftermarket is considerbly smaller and parts are much more $$$

I really just don't want you to buy a total POS, which is the catergory I lump the 1st gen Boxster in. You can buy a much better built, better engineered, more reliable, cheaper to maintain, newer, lower mileage, better optioned car for the same $$$$ with a Miata.

Weren't the Miata's known for thrust bearing failure (and eventual self destruction of the engine)?

I haven't driven/maintained either so I can't comment on a lot of what was talked about here. But one opinion is easy...appearance. Against a Boxter, Miata's are hopelessly ugly, IMO. The side profile isn't too bad but the front and rear never agreed with me across all gens. However, the Boxter is a pretty sweet looking car, especially in the right color combinations.

Jesda
08-11-10, 04:21 PM
Buy one in a masculine color for the love of god. If you're thinking Porsche, how about an older 911 as well?

I'm thinking "roadster" rather than a traditional 4-seat 911. The closest alternative would be the Honda S2000.

The Miata really is the best overall choice -- efficient, cheap to own, cheap to maintain, just a fantastic car all around, but its not edgy, and there's a bajillion of them out there. I think if it was going to be my primary car and I didn't already own the Saab, I'd be after a Miata. In this case, I'm looking for a unique, impractical, childish toy with sharp handling and an excellent sound system (from the motor and exhaust).

I've never been a 911 guy and probably never will be. In that league, I'd prefer the C6 Corvette, even though I'm not a Corvette guy either. I think Car and Driver preferred the C6 to the 911 as well.

A Boxster would probably be easy to resell for at least what I paid if I got tired of it.

Jesda
08-11-10, 04:25 PM
Weren't the Miata's known for thrust bearing failure (and eventual self destruction of the engine)?

The short nose crank issue affected a few cars from 90-91. Coil pack issues affected '99. Otherwise, they're incredibly dependable. The NA was cheerful and the NB has a few Jaguar-like curves, but the NC is just weird to me. I feel like with the 2006 redesign they dialed out the upbeat cuteness and damaged the car's soul. The Miata is a serious track car, but it should always look like its having an unusually good time. A serious face doesn't belong on that car.

If we were talking new, like 2006 and later, the Solstice and Sky are more appealing, if less practical and not quite as well made.

orconn
08-11-10, 04:39 PM
Ah, just get yourself another BMW 3 series convertible and be done with it. I think you will be much happier.

ga_etc
08-11-10, 04:55 PM
If we were talking new, like 2006 and later, the Solstice and Sky are more appealing, if less practical and not quite as well made.

The Sky=:drool: They win hands down in the styling department over the Solstice. The Solstice looks dopey-happy while the Sky looks aggressive-happy. Like it would take your leg off if you got too close to it and is extremely content to do it.

Ditch the frog lookin Boxster and get a Sky Red Line.

Stingroo
08-11-10, 05:08 PM
Sky Redline... mmmm... :drool:

I'd enjoy one of those very much.

Aron9000
08-11-10, 05:35 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned this one yet:

http://www.bmw-club.cz/graphics/gallery/full/201_z3_8.jpg

Personally I think it looks 1000x more aggressive than a Boxster or Miata. It also has that right sort of "fit" about the driving position like a Miata or s2000 that I love, somehow I could never get as comfortable in a Boxster.

The Z3 also has that awesome BMW I-6.

ga_etc
08-11-10, 05:53 PM
Meh, maintenance costs on a Bimmer. I would rather have a Z3 than a Boxster though. I would rather have a C5 before both.

orconn
08-11-10, 06:05 PM
No wonder the Bimmer Z3 looks more agressive ... it looks like someone just punched it in the nose. Around Richmond I only see females driving Z3s. Notice I didn't say "girls>" I would say the mahjority of the z3 drivers are over forty.

Jesda
08-11-10, 07:52 PM
Sky Redline and even the standard Sky are way more than I want to spend on a toy car. They came out quite recently -- 2007.

Z3 is a contender, and its quite dependable, but it doesnt have the raw sizzle of a Boxster or S2000 unless you get a Z3-M, and those arent cheap. An E46 as orconn suggested is too similar to the Saab.

The other problem is that used car prices currently favor sellers. Prices might settle down a bit when it gets cold out... I hope. Since a toy car isnt a "need" I can be patient, unless of course emotions take over. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-11-10, 08:07 PM
None of these are really my sort of car, I'd much rather drive an SL500 if I was going into a two seater convertible. Jesda, thinking about Cadillac, have you given thought to an Allante or are they too big? I hear good things about the S2000, and they're a little more aggressive than a Miata, but I don't like how you have to rev them to the moon to get any power out of them. The Miata seems like it'd be a better daily driver.

Speaking of ownership costs, wouldn't the Porsche be more than the BMW? As it's mid engine and boxer? I thought Porsche as a whole had very high upkeep costs...

Jesda
08-11-10, 09:08 PM
No doubt, the Boxster's maintenance would be quite pricey, as well as insurance. Important things to consider.

The Allante isn't in the same league in terms of performance. Its an attractive cruiser, but arguably less fun to drive than my 900 Turbo. And for this purchase, I require a manual transmission.

I have a strong dislike for Daimler AG as a corporation, which tarnishes the brand for me a bit. Despite that, I'm looking for more sport than luxury, something that takes the classic roadster experience where you see, hear, and feel everything, and pushes it further. Basically, a Miata that's amped up. I'd argue that the Miata offers more of that experience than the Z3.

ga_etc
08-11-10, 09:37 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SLK-230-6-Speed-Manual-Supercharged-/270618030357?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Just in case you miss the Crossfire...

ga_etc
08-11-10, 09:42 PM
Seriously though, you like things that are a little quirky. How about THIS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Audi-TT-2DR-ROADSTER-POWER-CONVERTIBLE-TURBO-66K-/190423795108?pt=US_Cars_Trucks)? I really think it may be right up your alley at the price, mileage, and condition.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-11-10, 09:47 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about those too. Those are probably gonna be a bit cheaper to own than a Porsche, as many of it's parts are shared with VW. But....they do have that "alternative lifestyle" vibe, but that's never stopped you before Jesda! :cool2:

But, on the other hand, they're only FWD, and nothing from VW/Audi is exactly setting standards in longevity and reliability. PASS!

I'd definitely go for the Miata in this range or the S2000. The Miata is arguably the best in the segment, and it took the best of what made driving those old rickety british roadsters fun and mended it with cold Japanese reliability and ease of service.

Jesda
08-11-10, 09:51 PM
How the heck did I forget the TT! Nice miles/price/condition on that one too.

SLK is also a nice car. I like soft tops more than hard tops, but the folding roof is neat. SLK230s are really cheap now, like $4-6k. Its basically throwaway money at that price.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-11-10, 09:54 PM
Oh yeah, the SLK too. Kompressor power FTW.

Still though, buy the Miata/S2000. If you're worried about the JDM image with the Honda, then you surely don't want the "middle aged hairdresser" image of the SLK.

ga_etc
08-11-10, 10:11 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-Jaguar-XJS-6-speed-/130419075516?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

That could work. Jaguar style with LT1 reliability... best of both worlds?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-11-10, 10:47 PM
Oh yeah, that's got "Jesda Gulati" written all over it. He was just saying a week ago how much he's always wanted a Jaguar, aside from the nightmare of owning one...

ga_etc
08-11-10, 10:55 PM
Then that settles it. Jesda, you're buying the Jag! :D

hueterm
08-12-10, 12:02 AM
That thing is NICE!

orconn
08-12-10, 12:16 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SLK-230-6-Speed-Manual-Supercharged-/270618030357?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Just in case you miss the Crossfire...

Yeah, I bet that one would be easy on the pocketbook. Mercedes prices for mediocre performance and all the "cache" of " Gidget Does the Sunset Strip."

orconn
08-12-10, 12:21 AM
How the heck did I forget the TT! Nice miles/price/condition on that one too.

SLK is also a nice car. I like soft tops more than hard tops, but the folding roof is neat. SLK230s are really cheap now, like $4-6k. Its basically throwaway money at that price.

Yeah, it would be easy to throw away $5000. on your first round of repairs.

As for the TT, you can depend on them charging Porsche prices for parts for your Audi/VW!

orconn
08-12-10, 12:27 AM
Don't waste your time on an XJS. They will give you all the problems of a Jag, with none of the benefits. Save your schekels and buy a XK8, not only will you find dieting easier as you conserve money to come up with maintenance and repair money, but you will be running several miles a day just to get way from all the girls chasing you!

Night Wolf
08-12-10, 12:30 AM
No doubt, the Boxster's maintenance would be quite pricey, as well as insurance. Important things to consider.

The Allante isn't in the same league in terms of performance. Its an attractive cruiser, but arguably less fun to drive than my 900 Turbo. And for this purchase, I require a manual transmission.

I have a strong dislike for Daimler AG as a corporation, which tarnishes the brand for me a bit. Despite that, I'm looking for more sport than luxury, something that takes the classic roadster experience where you see, hear, and feel everything, and pushes it further. Basically, a Miata that's amped up. I'd argue that the Miata offers more of that experience than the Z3.

e30 convertible :cool:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-12-10, 12:41 AM
Oh yeah, forgot about those.....

The XK8 convertible I mean. ***** magnet. All the reason in the world to buy one.

gdwriter
08-12-10, 02:11 AM
I loved the Z3 that I detailed for my friends and took out all over my favorite roads for a weekend.

Jesda
08-12-10, 12:39 PM
I just visited some friends in OKC and sat in his E36 M3 coupe. I really miss the BMW smell and seats, but the Porsche smell is also distinct. BMW's switchgear, gauges, and even the radio

But maybe its a matter of perspective -- anything is better than the ****ing Corolla I've been stuck in for the last 900 miles.

drewsdeville
08-12-10, 02:37 PM
But maybe its a matter of perspective -- anything is better than the ****ing Corolla I've been stuck in for the last 900 miles.

Aw, poor baby. Tell you what then: I feel like doing a good deed for someone in need. Come over here and I'll sell you one of my 200k mile Cadillacs for no more than $10k so you don't have to suffer in that ****ing Corolla anymore. If you drive one of my Caddy's away, I'll even dispose of that Crapolla for you so you never have to deal with it again!

I agree, nothing's better than that Corolla. That's why I'll I'll be waiting, title in hand. Hell, I just KNOW you'll love a Caddy way more than that ****ing Corolla :devil:

Come on over (with cash) and let 'ol Drew ease your pain in your desperate time of need.

:cool:

hueterm
08-12-10, 02:51 PM
Oh, sweet mother Mary.....here we go again w/that f'ing Colon'olla......

drewsdeville
08-12-10, 03:01 PM
Oh, sweet mother Mary.....here we go again w/that f'ing Colon'olla......

No, it had nothing to do with the Corolla. It's jsut that it sounded like he was feeling sorry for himself just because of what he was driving. But there's always a worse scenario. Just sounds silly to me that he so much despises a car, Corolla or not, that's been doing it's job without trouble for 900 miles.

Anyway, Jesda, it looks like you are a similar age as me. I don't know what you are looking for in your future, but I've been slowly shopping for a replacement to my Caddy's when I graduate. I've really been considering what will be most practical when purchasing a home and getting a family started. For this reason, my girlfriend is happy with the '09 Malibu that we picked out last year and I'll be looking for something in a similar class. So far, I've been looking at the diesel Jetta's. Is it a sacrifice from what I truly want to have fun with? Definitely, but something like the Jetta is far more useful and practical at my age and that practicality is definitely important at this point. Something fun will come down the road later.

Not that you have to sink to a "lowly" Malibu or Jetta, but maybe it'd be more wise to look into something more like a larger 5 series instead of the little 3 series for now, depending on how you see things in the near future.

gdwriter
08-12-10, 03:13 PM
So why are you in a ****ing Corolla to begin with?

gdwriter
08-12-10, 03:17 PM
No, it had nothing to do with the Corolla. It's jsut that it sounded like he was feeling sorry for himself just because of what he was driving. But there's always a worse scenario. Just sounds silly to me that he so much despises a car, Corolla or not, that's been doing it's job without trouble for 900 miles.There are simply times when you're stuck with a car you don't like on a road trip. Maybe this is a rental and the other choices were even worse. If the seats are uncomfortable (likely, they were on the '06 Corolla I had as a rental once) or it's noisy on the highway or passing power is weak, I'd hate it, too. Corolla or otherwise.

BTW, good choice on the Malibu. I had one as a rental in Honolulu and it was quite comfortable, drove well and is probably the best-looking car in its class.

hueterm
08-12-10, 03:21 PM
So why are you in a ****ing Corolla to begin with?

That was my question....you need to stay off of Priceline.....or take Amtrak...

drewsdeville
08-12-10, 03:26 PM
BTW, good choice on the Malibu. I had one as a rental in Honolulu and it was quite comfortable, drove well and is probably the best-looking car in its class.

Yeah, it's a sharp car. Got her's in dark blue with a leather charcoal interior Excellent feeling chassis in my opinion. From behind the wheel, it feels like it's a more expensive car than it really is.

The only thing I have a hard time getting over is the horrible blind spot created by the A-pillar, something you may or may not remember.

gdwriter
08-12-10, 03:53 PM
The only thing I have a hard time getting over is the horrible blind spot created by the A-pillar, something you may or may not remember.That's been a common trait of recent GM cars. It's that way in the Seville, so I'm used to it.

Jesda
08-12-10, 04:00 PM
Ian is driving my cousin's Corolla to go see his mother. Trying to relax in it was impossible due to the seating position -- every hour I'd wake up aching. In the Seville I could easily doze off for hours.
I'm tagging along to visit friends in OKC.

What's with the douchiness? Was your last ban too brief?

hueterm
08-12-10, 04:07 PM
:kick:

drewsdeville
08-12-10, 04:07 PM
I assume that's directed towards me? Yeesh, sorry dude. Didn't expect you to take a little sarcasm so personally.

My bad.

Jesda
08-12-10, 04:12 PM
Its hard to tell when you're just joking around or trying to be a pest, especially on the internet. That's what happens when you establish yourself early on as a troll.

Anyway, bygones.

V-Eight
08-12-10, 04:24 PM
The only thing I have a hard time getting over is the horrible blind spot created by the A-pillar, something you may or may not remember.

I find a lot of newer cars have this problem. I was driving a Prius work, and it was awful. But I guess that's what happens when the cars are made in a country where the general population is 5'5"

drewsdeville
08-12-10, 04:24 PM
Its hard to tell when you're just joking around or trying to be a pest, especially on the internet..

I apologize for being a twat. I will stop being a moron on the internet.

gary88
08-12-10, 05:16 PM
replacement to my Caddy's when I graduate.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/621/01/

ga_etc
08-12-10, 05:57 PM
LOL Gary.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-12-10, 08:34 PM
My dad's really enjoying his Malibu, aside from the lack of power compared to his V6 Camry.

Jesda, have you driven a Boxster or any of it's competitors yet?

Playdrv4me
08-13-10, 12:03 AM
Jesda, have you driven a Boxster or any of it's competitors yet?

That's what I'm saying... About damn time to just test drive one and see if it's REALLY good enough to outdo the SLK's value and the Z3's "BMW-ness".

There is no doubt that Corolla is a piece of shit from a "not a car I'd want" standpoint, but the only part of it that bothered me was the lack of cruise control. Otherwise, I respect the ability of a beat up old 150k car that isn't in the condition of the cars I usually buy, to eat up 900 miles without a hitch. Curiously, that transmission is oddly responsive to throttle mashing for such an economy oriented car.

V-Eight
08-13-10, 12:08 AM
My dad's really enjoying his Malibu, aside from the lack of power compared to his V6 Camry.

?

I assume he got the 4 cyl?

orconn
08-13-10, 12:31 AM
I keep seeing Malibus when I am out in traffic, and invariably mistake them for something else! Glad your Dad is enjoying his new Malibu, I hope it gives him long, reliable service.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-13-10, 12:38 AM
Curiously, that transmission is oddly responsive to throttle mashing for such an economy oriented car.

The four speed automatic in my brother's '96 Sentra is the same way. It downshifts fast because it has to, that motor has NO torque!

I assume he got the 4 cyl?

Yep. He got the base LS Malibu...four cylinder, four speed automatic...

Night Wolf
08-13-10, 01:19 AM
What about a Toyota MR2?

http://www.carforums.net/reviews/makes/pictures/toyota10.jpg

Aron9000
08-13-10, 01:23 AM
That's weird enough to have Jesda written all over it. Kind of ugly, but then again so is Ducky, but both are really neat/cool cars.

Jesda
08-13-10, 01:29 AM
MR2s are really nice cars, but they're not quite ugly enough to be interesting or attractive enough to be appealing. I guess that could describe a lot of Toyotas. The 1.8 is a well-regarded engine.

ga_etc
08-13-10, 01:31 AM
I think the MR2 gets ruled out on lack of power. But then again the base Boxster isn't blinding quick either. I would rather have the old MR2 than the new one.

Destroyer
08-13-10, 01:33 AM
Then that settles it. Jesda, you're buying the Jag! :DIf it is under $10k..............it's mine!:lildevil:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-13-10, 01:37 AM
Good suggestion Rick, can't believe we've forgot about that.

ga_etc
08-13-10, 01:39 AM
If it is under $10k..............it's mine!:lildevil:

Someone on here should buy it. That car is the shit.

Stingroo
08-13-10, 09:56 AM
Destroyer, DO IT! Then tell me when it arrives!

Dibs on first passenger seat ride. :lol: That thing is awesome.

gdwriter
08-13-10, 04:17 PM
What about a Toyota MR2?

Fiero!

http://www.calgaryfieros.com/memberscars/88ryan1.jpg

Fits your quirky tastes. With a V6 and the improved suspension, an 88 GT would be the way to go.

ga_etc
08-13-10, 05:51 PM
Fiero!

Fits your quirky tastes. With a V6 and the improved suspension, an 88 GT would be the way to go.

I like those too. A popular swap is to replace the 2.8L V6 with a N*. I can only imagine how much fun that would be to drive.

drewsdeville
08-13-10, 09:52 PM
I like those too. A popular swap is to replace the 2.8L V6 with a N*. I can only imagine how much fun that would be to drive.

Also, the easiest and most efficient swaps (as far as performance/dollar) are the 4.9L and the various flavors of 3800's. They are so popular now, you can actually purchase all of the parts that would normally need to be fabricated.

Stingroo
08-13-10, 10:04 PM
I've seen LS1's in Fiero's before. That's like, the ultimate GM engine swap vehicle. lol

drewsdeville
08-13-10, 10:13 PM
Along those lines, one of the fastest growing swaps right now is the LS4. It's already made for FWD being compact with a FWD bellhousing, lightweight being aluminum block with LS6 heads. A few really sharp guys have been able to do complete swaps that include the active fuel management. The guys who have completed it claim mileage around 30MPG with dyno'd power at 315hp or so (with the heads cleaned up).

Definitely something I could enjoy

Stingroo
08-13-10, 10:36 PM
LS4 is what... the Impala/Monte Carlo SS motor?

Intriguing....

V-Eight
08-13-10, 11:16 PM
Yep.

This engine is adapted for transverse front-wheel drive applications. According to GM, "The crankshaft is shortened 13 mm – 3 mm at the flywheel end and 10 mm at the accessory drive end – to reduce the length of the engine compared to the 6.0L. All accessories are driven by a single serpentine belt to save space. The water pump is mounted remotely with an elongated pump manifold that connects it to the coolant passages. Revised oil pan baffles, or windage trays, are incorporated into the LS4 to ensure that the oil sump stays loaded during high-g cornering."

Night Wolf
08-14-10, 12:44 AM
Fiero!

Not a convertible.

I grew up with a Fiero. My father bought an '88 Formula in 1990/1991. The Formula is a GT with the body of the SE, his is a 2.8 V6/3spd auto (ehhhh....) With the exception of the winter and other utility needs, when he drove the Bronco, he drove the Fiero. It was his daily driver until 2001 when his '99 Grand Prix GTP replaced it. The Fiero now has about 160k miles on it and has been stored away for the most part, he dosen't plan on selling it.

He really liked that car, he liked that it was a car two people throw an overnight bag in and just go somewhere, so he used to take me on weekend trips like that to Lake George.

Ironically, much of the same "romantic" appeal that I have to my BMW, that is just hop in and go etc... comes from the way my father was with his Fiero. I remember thinking to myself "I want a car I can do this in"

There is a base model Fiero for sale in the dumpier part of town, and it's been parked in the smae spot since I moved here 3.5yr ago. Cracked windsheild and fading paint... I should inquire about it, it would be a very interesting GM-project car... I've wanted to stick a Caddy 4.9 in one...

ga_etc
08-14-10, 03:52 AM
For me, I don't see going through the time to put a 4.9 in one. As good of an engine as it is, I don't see the allure for that application. It's not a quick revving motor and has no top end. With all of the low end torque the 4.9 has I would imagine you would go through tires like crazy. It's easy enough to turns the tires over in a 3600lb Deville. Imagine how easy it would be in something weighing 1000lbs less. I have nothing against a 4.9 at all, but in an application like that a N* just makes more sense. I was just horsing around with the Eldorado on the way home since it was decent enough to turn the air off and put the windows down. The N* just sings such a glorious song and pulls with so much authority. And that's in something tipping the scales at 3900lbs. I can only imagine how much of a ballistic missile it would turn a Fiero into. Give me a Fiero fitted with a Vin 9 N* and a 5-6 speed straight shift and it would take me days to get the grin off my face.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-14-10, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I agree. The Northstar would be a much better engine for a sports car such as a Fiero.

drewsdeville
08-14-10, 10:32 AM
Yeah, for sure. The N* Fiero's perform really well. The 4.9 and 3800 are popular mainly because they drop in with little modification... they even bolt up to and cooperate with the stock manual trans. In comparison, the N* is a big hairy animal to wedge in a Fiero engine bay.

Stingroo
08-14-10, 10:41 AM
This is worse:

http://home.xnet.com/~paulv/LS1D.jpg

But so much more awesome.

Aron9000
08-15-10, 03:02 AM
This is worse:

http://home.xnet.com/~paulv/LS1D.jpg

But so much more awesome.

That's pretty badass!!!! Hell it might fit a little better than a N* because the cylinder heads are smaller.

Has anybody crammed a Cobalt SS motor into a Fiero yet? They came with manual trannies, tranversely mounted, so it should be pretty easy to swap in. They came in two flavors, a 205hp supercharged version, and later a 260 turbocharged and intercooled 260hp version. Both have tremendous potential, as with all forced induction engines. The 260hp turbo version in the Cobalt SS would crack a 13 second et while frying the front tires off, so I'm sure it would be even faster in the lighter Fiero with much better traction.

Stingroo
08-15-10, 09:51 AM
Hmm.... that's an interesting concept there. I've seen those Cobalts make stupid power. A guy who was with us at the Florida meet (Brizzal) his friend with a Cobalt was at the big car show we went to and his makes like 450hp to the wheels.

In a Fiero? Oh holy Jesus, epic.

Jesda
08-15-10, 11:03 PM
Interesting fact: The Velmut plant in Finland that builds Boxsters also built my Saab 900 convertible. That's a good sign -- my old Saab is as sturdy as a brick.