: I need a place to work on my car!!! Suggestions??

ben.gators
08-10-10, 05:53 PM
I live in an apartment, far from my family and family house. I do LOVE to spent some quality time with my car and have some small projects and repairs. But the main problem is I don't have a place! Indeed this is a common problem in large cities as far as I know.

Street is not a good option at all, it is not safe to go under the car, and I guess there might be some law against this (?).

In the complex I live there is no regulation prohibiting working on the cars. But I believe no one in the history of this complex has worked on his car even doing an small job like changing a bulb, and it is something totally strange! To clarify, I live in a complex near campus which is full of Chinese graduate students. Whenever I want to do a very simple trivial job on my car, e.g. a simple waterless fast detail, the people give me strange look and it really pisses me off!

Is there special places that I can drive and do my work with peace of mind? I don't need any lift or specific mechanic shop facilities, just a plain space free of any interruption!

Last week I spent 250$ for a simple rear brake job (rotor and pads)! I can do all of these works myself, but the problem is I have no space to do it!
It really sucks....

OffThaHorseCEO
08-10-10, 06:07 PM
i see opportunity

Submariner409
08-10-10, 06:30 PM
Find a local car club or attend a cruisers charity drive-in and ask questions.

Playdrv4me
08-10-10, 07:06 PM
i see opportunity

Someone in the U.K. did as well! They have actual garages you can drive into there, pay a small hourly or daily rate, and drive your car right into your own bay complete with a FULL lift and ALL of the tools a man could ever imagine needing.

I have no idea why no one has done this here. I'm sure there's some ridiculous law against it, or fear of our litigious society.

Kick94sts
08-10-10, 07:10 PM
Maybe a storage unit?

orconn
08-10-10, 07:11 PM
There are places that rent space by the hour. Check the Yellow Pages.

Why worry about what Chinese graduate students think? Last I heard they weren't setting any style standards. Tell them that in America it is considered a mark of prestige to work on your own car. Tell the there favorite label designers are crazy about auto maintenance! Hell they may even pay you to teach them how to do it themselves.

ben.gators
08-10-10, 07:45 PM
Why worry about what Chinese graduate students think? Last I heard they weren't setting any style standards. Tell them that in America it is considered a mark of prestige to work on your own car. Tell the there favorite label designers are crazy about auto maintenance! Hell they may even pay you to teach them how to do it themselves.

Indeed I was expecting something like this and even wanted to answer it in the first post! To be honest, I act based on my own sense of morality, not based on what the others think or look... However at some point it annoys me when I see people looking at me all the time from their windows while I am working on my car and it ruins my moment to enjoy the work I am doing...

Also some sort of repairs and maintenances may not fit well to a public lot that other people are using too. As an example oil change, or coolant service that may result in some overflow or leak...

About the possibility that chinese students may pay me to teach them how to take care of their cars, Hell No! By observing me working on my car, they might ask me to do some repair on their car for free, but there is no possibility that I can charge them for teaching... :D

ben.gators
08-10-10, 07:51 PM
I have been searching craigslist to find a garage or storage for short term rent, but no good deal so far!

hueterm
08-10-10, 08:00 PM
I say F the Chinese busybodies....

Maybe a parking lot in a park? They might think you were a vagrant living in his Cadillac, though....

I'd say storage facility. Mine has outdoor RV parking, I'd go for one of those.... You might even find one that had power....

ben.gators
08-10-10, 08:11 PM
I say F the Chinese busybodies....

Maybe a parking lot in a park? They might think you were a vagrant living in his Cadillac, though....

I'd say storage facility. Mine has outdoor RV parking, I'd go for one of those.... You might even find one that had power....

Does the management of such facilities allow repairs inside the storage? Indeed this question has left in my mind when I saw your cars in the storage facility! :D
I called one in my area, the guy said just general cleaning of boat/ RV/ Car is allowed, nothing more!

Stingroo
08-10-10, 08:35 PM
Storage units work. A guy I know down south has two that he works on cars from. He installs lift kits for a living from the storage unit.

hueterm
08-10-10, 08:54 PM
I'm sure it depends on the place. I'd look at outdoor parking spaces, instead of the inside bays -- it might make them less worried about you catching the place on fire...

orconn
08-10-10, 09:21 PM
Ok, Ben, I think we have a solution for close by.

U Fix-it Automotive
2141 E. Bell Rpad
Poenix, AR
(602) 482-4500

www.ufixitautomotive.com/

Check these guys out, they say they charge $20/hr but that includes some tools, lifts and AIRCONDITIONING!!!

You might Google "do it youself auto repair fo Tempe and see if there is anything closer. The above say there are mechanics on site to help should you need it.

Ranger
08-10-10, 10:48 PM
I have been out of the city (Chicago) now for decades, but I recall (and have used) a place that was a garage at one time. I think they charged $5 (I told you it was a loooong time ago). It had lifts AND the old parts counter was a tool counter (free). They gave you a big ring with something like the old motel room number tags on it and every time you needed a tool, you just gave them a tag. If the tools did not equal the tags when you turned them in, you bought the tool. It was a GREAT concept, but as with all good ideas, my guess is that the lawyers ruined it. Liability insurance would be outrageous I imagine. Now as I said, I have not been back there in decades so I don't know if any still exist (that one closed long ago), but from Orconns post the idea lives on.

ben.gators
08-10-10, 11:10 PM
Ok, Ben, I think we have a solution for close by.

U Fix-it Automotive
2141 E. Bell Rpad
Poenix, AR
(602) 482-4500

www.ufixitautomotive.com/

Check these guys out, they say they charge $20/hr but that includes some tools, lifts and AIRCONDITIONING!!!

You might Google "do it youself auto repair fo Tempe and see if there is anything closer. The above say there are mechanics on site to help should you need it.

WOW, that sounds great! Thanks a loooootttttt...........:worship::worship::worship:

OK guys, I found a place to spend my holidays and weekends after this.... :D

ben.gators
08-10-10, 11:15 PM
I have been out of the city (Chicago) now for decades, but I recall (and have used) a place that was a garage at one time. I think they charged $5 (I told you it was a loooong time ago). It had lifts AND the old parts counter was a tool counter (free). They gave you a big ring with something like the old motel room number tags on it and every time you needed a tool, you just gave them a tag. If the tools did not equal the tags when you turned them in, you bought the tool. It was a GREAT concept, but as with all good ideas, my guess is that the lawyers ruined it. Liability insurance would be outrageous I imagine. Now as I said, I have not been back there in decades so I don't know if any still exist (that one closed long ago), but from Orconns post the idea lives on.

Yeah, I can feel the severity of liability insurance and obligations related to it when I go to a mechanic shop! They never ever let customer gets near to the repair area when mechanics are working....
Anyway, I am happy that I could (Indeed Orconns could! :p) find such a place. I guess a part of this 20$ each hour is going for insurance.

ben.gators
08-10-10, 11:36 PM
I did a simple math and it seems that during 14 month ownership of STS I have spent 3000$ for my car (Excluding premium gasoline I have used)!!! I have had no big repairs like HG or OEM struts so far and this 3000$ is for small repairs and problems. Indeed I used to go extra miles in maintenance of the car. If I knew this facility 14 months ago I could do all of these small repairs by less than half! However it is never too late to mend.... after this I will do my repairs here and this is the list of the works I have planned to do:

1- Change coolant
2- Front struts
3- Shaft Axle driver side
4- Installing (or short circuiting) brake pad wear sensors

Aron9000
08-10-10, 11:37 PM
Just rent a duplex next time you move. Some have a garage or carport, almost all of them have their own private driveway with no parking lot. Lots of room to work on the car.

Stingroo
08-11-10, 12:14 AM
We live in a duplex, and that's how I do it! lol It's got a circle driveway, where we park, and two regular driveways off of the circles, where ramps are and such. :)

dkozloski
08-11-10, 02:14 AM
Who needs ramps? Put two wheels on the sidewalk and crawl up the gutter.

Jesda
08-11-10, 02:33 AM
The warehouse I lease storage and forklift services from also has some cars in there. There's a Volvo 9xx in there undergoing engine replacement. Its not that secure, but there's plenty of space and I suspect its dirt cheap. People generally leave each others things alone.

MacMuse
08-11-10, 12:16 PM
I bet 50%+ of the fee goes to insurance. Still, very cool.

Maryland version - http://selfserviceautorepair.com/
Europe chain - http://www.pitstartgarage.com/

Stingroo
08-11-10, 03:35 PM
Who needs ramps? Put two wheels on the sidewalk and crawl up the gutter.

There aren't any gutters near the houses here. Just little concrete runners for the water that empty them into a canal somewhere or something, I suspect.

Submariner409
08-11-10, 03:53 PM
dkoz, Sidewalk-gutter. Hah !!! Those were the 60's when you drained the oil into the storm sewer...............and rolled the filter in after the oil.