: Fingers crossed everyone....picking up the Brougham after work.

robb257731
08-10-10, 03:44 PM
Okay,
So in follow up to my earlier post about the slugfest that is my Brougham going up a hill....it's at the shop for a full tune up today. The mechanic took it for a drive up and down the escarpment access and said it was misfiring at lock-up, whatever that (lockup) means.
I know I was going to attempt changing the wires/plugs/rotor/etc myself, but who's kidding who here. The price wasn't bad at 425...well, at least compared to what I'd pay at the Cadillac dealer, plus it's been a stinking hot, humid summer so I'm happy to not be under the car in the heat.
Wish me luck...if this doesn't fix the issue, I'm going to rethink whether or not I want to keep the old boat. I love it, but I don't want to keep throwing money at it.

outsider
08-10-10, 03:55 PM
good luck, man. If your mechanic said it was misfiring bad, then a tune-up should fix the misfire...and hopefully that's the problem! If not, just take it in to a mechanic and tell him what the problem is. Tell him you've already had a tune up, and are out of ideas as to what could be causing the problem...go from there.

Before you agree to any major work, post his proposal here and let the real experts tell you if it's true or false :)

YourMainParadox
08-10-10, 05:49 PM
425 for plugs rotor and wires? O.o ee gads. I did that myself for all of 40 or 50 $ took maybe all of half an hour. Worst thing was doing the plug wires one by one as to not mess it up. Unless you have a messed up wire plug or worn out rotor that is not your problem.

robb257731
08-10-10, 06:12 PM
Yeah, well I"m not mechanical, and would probably f*ck it up completely...This was the third shop to suggest a full tune up. The first shop that did all the safety work on it last year (now closed) recommended it, but I decided to wait until spring. The second shop (Cadillac dealer) thought the hesitation could be due to the fuel filter...it was the original...and that didn't fix the issue. They wanted $700 to do the tune up and I thought that was crazy. The owner of this shop has the same car. Anyway, they took it out, said it was misfiring, and also said it looked like it was all original under the hood down to the sparkplugs. They replaced it all, took it for a test drive, and felt it was actually worse than when they started. ARGH. The guy is going over the work again (no charge) to double check it all, and suggested that if that didn't solve anything to try a new ignition coil, as it's also original. He'll just do that for the cost of the part.

I didn't feel they were jerking me around, so whatever. Here's to hoping tomorrow brings better news!

YourMainParadox
08-10-10, 06:38 PM
the fuel filter is only a $5 part as well Yesh. No way I would pay that much for a tune up.... ever

caddeville89
08-10-10, 09:00 PM
$425 for a tune up that did NOT include the ignition coil???? Really???? From what I understand, any problem with plugs/wires/cap/rotor will wreak havoc with the coil.

jayoldschool
08-10-10, 09:33 PM
Rob, post a list of everything replaced.

robb257731
08-10-10, 10:00 PM
I had it all written down at work...this may not be all of it, but off the top of my head...
Fuel filter (last month)
wires
plugs
rotor
distributer
pcv valve
there was something else, but I can't remember what he said...something about plates or something like that
ignition coil will be done tomorrow morning

jayoldschool
08-10-10, 10:24 PM
I'm thinking distributor CAP, not distributor.

Get them to replace the ignition module, as well. Have them set the timing, using the proper procedure. Don't trust them to know it, ask how they do it.

jayoldschool
08-10-10, 10:24 PM
I'm thinking distributor CAP, not distributor.

Get them to replace the ignition module, as well. Have them set the timing, using the proper procedure. Don't trust them to know it, ask how they do it.

robb257731
08-13-10, 09:46 AM
All's well that ends well. Turns out they had a couple of the wires crossed. I thought it ran nice before, but it's so much nicer now. I have to be really, really careful with the speed....I think I'm going 50km/hour on city streets, but when I look down it's 80.

This is what was replaced:

spark plugs
wire set
distributer cap
ignition rotor
pcv valve
cleaned throttle plates and IAC motor (whatever that is)

Oddly enough I'm still thinking of getting rid of it. We shall see.

outsider
08-13-10, 10:33 AM
glad it's going good now...why would you get rid of it now that it's running right? :D

mjs182004
08-13-10, 01:34 PM
Happy to hear that its running good now!

YourMainParadox
08-13-10, 02:27 PM
IAC = Idle air control (it controls your idle)

robb257731
08-13-10, 04:00 PM
glad it's going good now...why would you get rid of it now that it's running right? :D

I dunno...maybe a little tired of it. That being said, I haven't been driving it regularily for more than a month. I'm on holidays next week, and plan on taking it out. I'm sure I'll fall back in love!

Laneseja
08-14-10, 11:10 PM
I sold mine (a 1991 brougham) 12 years ago and regretted it ever since. I sold it to my ex,ex Brother-in Law's Father(he was not an ex ex at the time) but they promised not to drive it in the winter and to sell it back to me when they went to replace it, and I just bought it back in October of 2009 thank goodness and have never been happier. i should have kept it in the first place but at least they took good care of it!

Robin Banx
08-17-10, 12:47 AM
To quote the forum's "Photo Nazi", This thread is useless without pictures. Pix please...........

Cheers.......R.

robb257731
08-19-10, 01:09 PM

robb257731
08-19-10, 01:12 PM
http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/robb257731/1991%20Cadillac%20Brougham%20D%20Elegance/

csbuckn
08-19-10, 01:19 PM
I see why you fought so hard for the car. Love the color. What color is that?

robb257731
08-19-10, 03:49 PM
Thanks CS.

I think per the VIN code it was originally Rosewood Metallic or something like that, but the general consensus on the forum is Maple Red. It was repainted when it was about six months old, as someone keyed the entire car, so it may not be the original colour.

I need to get some whitewalls on it.....I've been having fun driving him again, so I think I'll hang onto him. I saw a phenomenal blue one yesterday. I wanted to catch the guy and see if he'd trade, but he was too far ahead. ;-) I love a navy blue brougham. Looked at a beautiful one in the spring, but it had the astroroof which was louder than bombs....couldn't live with it.