: White Platinum, Touch-up paint........

Smokin' SRX
08-10-10, 12:05 AM
well it had to happen. Surprisingly, not the large doors I expected to get dinged! (Sportwing.com door moldings due any day now!) but the rear hatch was hit but a metal object from the road! @#^%^$#$%&^ 3 inch scratch, almost down to metal. Damn.

Ordered the touch-up paint from my Dealer, a 2-part kit, for Platinum Ice. ( "base and Top-Coat" , with metal-like substance in it) No matter what I did the last coat (top coat) always came out grayish white UGH! Going to local trustworthy body shop soon, for help. Maybe he can advise?

Save the $27 for the kit! Although it might work somewhat in a small ding (chip) only. I doubt it for this color :confused:

Pls be carefull...........

SS

GMJim
08-10-10, 07:09 AM
I don't understand the gray thing either. It looks like crap. It's better than the white diamond (tan) that the dealership touched up for me.
It would seem that the body shop would know the WD has gold metalflake,
and Platinum Ice has silver metalflake.

leftturn
08-10-10, 11:41 AM
I have the same color and scratched my door several months ago. The body shop quoted me $350 to fix it, so I took matters into my own hands. I can't remember where I read this, but someone else complained about the situation that you had and I read that spraying is the onlly way to go for 2 stage paint, so I got my paint online from http://www.touchuppaintonline.com/ instead. I got the paint and clearcoat for a little over $60 and got some sand paper from Walmart. The result was actually great and you can never tell the scratch was there. It was a good 2-3 hours of work though.

Smokin' SRX
08-10-10, 10:42 PM
Leftturn could you give any more details? How did you spray it? Did you do a whole panel?
THX!

SS

leftturn
08-12-10, 01:32 PM
when you buy it, it comes with 2 different cans of paint. You just spray them onto the car from about 1.5 feet away in really light coats and repeat it until it's good. The basecoat is really easy, for the second coat, you need to do it 3-5 times, or until it matches the pearl effect you have on the rest of the car.

Smokin' SRX
08-12-10, 08:19 PM
that's it? The overspray is not a problem? Did u have to rub it out or something? I'm afraid to try that. Is it still holding up?

Wanna buy some more touch-up? :rolleyes:

SS

PS.........my side moldings are on!! One less worry about paint. See my thread if interested.

leftturn
08-12-10, 09:45 PM
yup, that's it. you do have to tape off the area so the paint doesn't go onto the rest of the car. The basecoat should match easily, for the 2nd coat, just look at it after each coat dries and see if it matches. Once it matches, then you are done and you can move onto clearcoating.

Smokin' SRX
08-12-10, 09:55 PM
Ok Went to site you gave above and bought! I can do this! So first, the base coat, then clear coat is last, after needed amount of base coats to match your car first?

Ready to do it thx to you! Probably save hundreds :yup:

SS

leftturn
08-12-10, 10:13 PM
you might have to email the guy to order tricoat paint, i had to do that. if you need the email, let me know.

you will need 2 different cans of paint and clearcoat for it to work. you might also need some primer and sandpaper, but those are easy to find anywhere.

Smokin' SRX
08-12-10, 10:19 PM
I think Platinum Ice is a 3 part paint also. You may have White Diamond? Anyway I went with the web site and for $50 I'm being "processed" right now. He has my info, so.....

Thx again! Will post results.
SS

leftturn
08-13-10, 12:21 AM
just looked through my email and found their contact info. you can reach them at sales@touchuppaint.org if you need to.

Smokin' SRX
08-13-10, 12:31 PM
just looked through my email and found their contact info. you can reach them at sales@touchuppaint.org if you need to.

They got back to me!! Yes, 3rd can of paint is needed as you said. So I'm up to $78 but can handle several more scratches..................I hope not! :suspense: