: Now, on the other hand, some of my friends have a GREAT taste in cars.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-09-10, 10:23 PM
My buddy Ryan has a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham that he keeps in very good condition. It's triple black, and it's got a low 97k miles on it. He only drives it once a month or so, and only on weekends, when it's not being driven, it's parked in a storage garage under a cover. He had a '96 Town Car as his daily driver, but he traded it off because it was getting rusty and the clearcoat on his hood and trunk was fading....fast.

So what did he buy to replace it?

A White Diamond 1999 Seville STS. 94k miles for $5500. I haven't seen it yet, but he says it's got all the options, aside from sunroof. I think it's got the neutral leather interior, but I've yet to see any interior pics. So he's got my two favorite modern day Cadillacs....the LT1 FWB and 98-03 STS.

Can't wait to race him in the GS. :cool2:

77CDV
08-09-10, 10:28 PM
Good taste: some have it and some don't. Ryan is obviously among the former. :thumbsup:

gdwriter
08-09-10, 10:44 PM
2 years older, 22,000 more miles and $2,000 less than mine a year and a half later. I'd say he got a good deal if it's as clean as mine was (and is). Hope he enjoys his as much as I enjoy mine.

ga_etc
08-09-10, 11:09 PM
If only it were an '02-'03 with Magnaride...

ryannel2003
08-09-10, 11:24 PM
I'm guessing it's because his name is Ryan... obviously he has great taste. My best friend's name is Ryan and he too has a great taste in cars. As for I... do I really need to state the obvious? Pics are a must!

Destroyer
08-09-10, 11:35 PM
Can't wait to race him in the GS. :cool2:I'd like to hear the results of that!

hueterm
08-09-10, 11:52 PM
You just want to hear his headgaskets singing their siren song......"coolant in D major"...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-10-10, 12:14 AM
He says it's very clean, and he's quite anal about his cars. I hope he checked the coolant out when he looked at it. I wanted to go look at it with him on Saturday, but I was busy with other friends. What's funny is that he kinda bought this on impulse, and he did it really quick. He looked at it on Saturday, and purchased it today.

With the race, I'll get him out of the hole, but I wonder at what speed the 300hp Northstar will pass my 240hp Supercharged 3.8...... I'm thinking around 50 or maybe 60..

ben.gators
08-10-10, 01:14 AM
As a person who has owned the both cars (mine was LS indeed), I would say yours can be at least as fast as him in initial start up and you can have the lead for a while. Do not forget the fact that low end torque in N* L37 is not very brilliant. If it was an SLS, I would say he even could have the lead from the beginning. However the STS shows its real power in high end torque a bit later and will easily leave you behind. And I guess it can happen even at speeds less than 50, but the distance between you will considerably increase as speed goes higher and higher....
Update us about the results, it will be fun! :D

Playdrv4me
08-10-10, 01:23 AM
Somehow I get the feeling the title of this thread was a jab at me. I HAVE NO PROOF BUT I'M KEEPING AN EYE ON YOU MR. RAWSON! :)

Actually I'll admit, as a "car guy", my car choices are pretty crappy.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-10-10, 07:56 AM
No, if you didn't see Ian, last month I made a thread called "Some of my friends have an awful taste in cars", detailing some of my other friends and their obsession with their Ford Focuses and other econoboxes.

ted tcb
08-10-10, 09:18 AM
As an owner of a 2003 white diamond, I am biased towards this colour combo.
Nice car.
Having said that, there's no way I'd gamble on a 99 Northstar, not when 02 and 03's are ridiculously cheap.
Our rough statistical poll showed 1999 cars are at highest risk for headgasket failures.

I hope your pal dodges that bullet.

Playdrv4me
08-10-10, 03:30 PM
No, if you didn't see Ian, last month I made a thread called "Some of my friends have an awful taste in cars", detailing some of my other friends and their obsession with their Ford Focuses and other econoboxes.

LOL. Well that's what I get for my 6 month hiatuses.

He's going to love the hell out of that car, I just hope as Ted said, he doesn't get bitten by that year.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-10-10, 06:13 PM
We've got a friend that could do the headgaskets in his garage in a weekend. No I'm not joking or embellishing. Matt is a motor-god. He's the one that made a 575hp LT-1 based 383 for his little brother's '95 Roadmaster. He's also took a 454, bored/stroked it out to 496, and got that to run just shy of 600hp. He then put that into his '95 GMC Suburban K2500. It was a 13 second Suburban!! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1JVfqHUfI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLyP4Y0kqlc

ga_etc
08-10-10, 06:39 PM
Nice car.
Having said that, there's no way I'd gamble on a 99 Northstar, not when 02 and 03's are ridiculously cheap.
Our rough statistical poll showed 1999 cars are at highest risk for headgasket failures.

I've had my '99 ETC for a little over 2 years and 34,000 miles. No unusual problems to this point.

ben.gators
08-10-10, 08:01 PM
Nice car.

I have had my 99 STS for more than one year with a lot of aggressive driving and it has 132K miles on it and powertrain is rock solid!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-10-10, 10:11 PM
The STS is faster, but not by much. Maybe 10 feet by 85 mph...

ben.gators
08-11-10, 12:09 AM
The STS is faster, but not by much. Maybe 10 feet by 85 mph...

I am eager to hear the result of the race. And I will not be very biased toward one of them! The both are in my favorite car list.

Jesda
08-11-10, 01:58 AM
I have a friend who keeps buying Lexuses. They're excellent cars, but I just don't care.

Outside of friends I've met through car forums, no one I otherwise know through other means has anything interesting. I do have one friend with a '93 Wrangler and one with two Mark VIIIs, but that's it.

77CDV
08-11-10, 06:52 PM
People who care about cars will nearly always talk about their cars specifically, as in "I parked my (insert make) under the tree." Most folks will just call their car "car". Sometime, if you ask them what they drive, they'll have to think about it for a moment.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-11-10, 07:11 PM
Definitely.

We raced from 0-80 on a damp road. From the start, we both spun our tires, then he just gradually started pulling on me from there on out. He beat me to sixty, but I was at his back doors. By 80, he was probably 5-10 feet ahead of me.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-11-10, 07:11 PM
Definitely.

We raced from 0-80 on a damp road. From the start, we both spun our tires, then he just gradually started pulling on me from there on out. He beat me to sixty, but not by much....I was at his back doors. By 80, he was probably 5-10 feet ahead of me.

I'm really impressed with that car. That Bose 4.0 system KICKS ASS! So clear, so powerful and that 12" sub really gives it some great bass. The antenna built into the rear window is strong enough to pick up radio stations 65 miles northwest. It's got the wood package, with wood wheel and shifter, 94k miles, and when we were driving it around (hard), the temp gauge never moved past 12 o'clock, so the HG's are OK. I'm surprised with how FIRM those STS's ride, it's not soft like we're used to, and considerably firmer than my GS. It's definitely fast, and that Northstar sounds great. I can really feel the power come on at 3500-4000 RPM under WOT.

Funny thing is he paid like $5500 for it with 94k on it, and I paid $8995 for the GS last July with 59k miles on it. I feel shorted.

ryannel2003
08-11-10, 07:12 PM
People who care about cars will nearly always talk about their cars specifically, as in "I parked my (insert make) under the tree." Most folks will just call their car "car". Sometime, if you ask them what they drive, they'll have to think about it for a moment.

Haha I always say that when I'm talking about my car. I either call it the Cadillac or the Seville. Saying the whole name of the car takes up too much time.

gdwriter
08-11-10, 07:21 PM
I refer to mine as either the Seville or Sabrina. Betty is almost always referred to as Betty, unless it's with somebody I don't really know. In those cases, I call her my '64 or Impala.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-17-10, 08:42 PM
Now it gets even better. My buddy Brandon just bought a very very clean 1986 Town Car Signature Series. 103k miles, beige/beige velour interior, digital dash, coach top, wire wheel covers. Very very nice. The 86-87's are my favorite Town Cars.

hueterm
08-17-10, 08:58 PM
Why more than '88-89?

ga_etc
08-17-10, 09:35 PM
1981 TC Coupe (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare-1981-Lincoln-Town-Car-Coupe-/120609688890?pt=US_Cars_Trucks)?!?!? I didn't know that was even an option. It's cool but I don't think the proportions are right.

Aron9000
08-17-10, 10:19 PM
Post up some pics of your friend's new Town Car. Does it have the fuel injected 5.0 V8??? Not sure what year they started with that, I think you could get a carbed 351 Cleveland in them in the early 80's as well.

1981 TC Coupe (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare-1981-Lincoln-Town-Car-Coupe-/120609688890?pt=US_Cars_Trucks)?!?!? I didn't know that was even an option. It's cool but I don't think the proportions are right.

I need some of that guy's drugs. $12,500 for that rusty POS????? I don't care if it is rare, its still a stinkin Lincoln.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-18-10, 12:46 AM
Post up some pics of your friend's new Town Car. Does it have the fuel injected 5.0 V8??? Not sure what year they started with that, I think you could get a carbed 351 Cleveland in them in the early 80's as well.

After 1981 or 1982, all the V8's used in the Lincolns were fuel injected. Initially, it was only throttle body injection, but in 1986, they went to mult port fuel injection, and it made a HUGE difference. It wasn't a huge paper difference (130 hp to 150), but my friends have owned both systems and they say it makes a heck of a difference, and they claim that the TBI 302 (85 LTD Country Squire) was the slowest vehicle they've ever owned, slower than a 307 Brougham.

I rode along on the test drive today, and my buddy went WOT on an onramp from about 45, and while it certainly wasn't burning any barns, it wasn't as bad as I'd expect from an '86 Lincoln. It was a lot quicker and more responsive than his '85 Caprice, miles better than a 307 Brougham, and probably not too terribly far behind his '91 Brougham D'Elegance 5.7L.

You could get the variable venturi 302 and 351 in the '80 Lincolns. After 1980, it was only 302.

But yeah, what a nice car. Amazingly soft, deep & comfortable seats. The front seats are so soft and deep that they literally cradle you into them and keep you snug & warm all the time. The car is very quiet and smooth, much more so than his '91 Brougham D'Elegance with the 5.7.

Mike, I prefer the 1986 & 87 because of the cross-hatch grille, and I like the early style tail lamps as well with the centrally mounted reverse light, and the 86-87's have much better looking analog gauges, they look expensive and elegant, like an expensive Rolex, and the newer ones look like something out of an F-150.

Aron9000
08-18-10, 01:02 AM
After 1981 or 1982, all the V8's used in the Lincolns were fuel injected. Initially, it was only throttle body injection, but in 1986, they went to mult port fuel injection, and it made a HUGE difference. It wasn't a huge paper difference (130 hp to 150), but my friends have owned both systems and they say it makes a heck of a difference, and they claim that the TBI 302 (85 LTD Country Squire) was the slowest vehicle they've ever owned, slower than a 307 Brougham.

I rode along on the test drive today, and my buddy went WOT on an onramp from about 45, and while it certainly wasn't burning any barns, it wasn't as bad as I'd expect from an '86 Lincoln. It was a lot quicker and more responsive than his '85 Caprice, miles better than a 307 Brougham, and probably not too terribly far behind his '91 Brougham D'Elegance 5.7L.

You could get the variable venturi 302 and 351 in the '80 Lincolns. After 1980, it was only 302.

But yeah, what a nice car. Amazingly soft, deep & comfortable seats. The front seats are so soft and deep that they literally cradle you into them and keep you snug & warm all the time. The car is very quiet and smooth, much more so than his '91 Brougham D'Elegance with the 5.7.

Mike, I prefer the 1986 & 87 because of the cross-hatch grille, and I like the early style tail lamps as well with the centrally mounted reverse light, and the 86-87's have much better looking analog gauges, they look expensive and elegant, like an expensive Rolex, and the newer ones look like something out of an F-150.

I like those 80's Town Cars, but they all seem to have those goofy half vinyl roofs. Either go full vinyl top or metal roof IMO. What sort of roof did this one have on it?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-18-10, 01:13 AM
This one has the half vinyl "coach roof" that came standard on Signature & Cartier series Town Cars. They never offered a full metal roof on Town Cars. The base Town Cars had a full vinyl roof that looks great, but didn't have the limousine style rear window, and they also offered a full cloth top (carriage top) that looks really tacky and aftermarket. IMO, the half vinyl "coach roof" looks best on these. If you order that awful Carriage Roof, you lose that opera window in the c-pillar, as the cloth top covers it completely up and makes the roofline look really fat by comparison.

ga_etc
08-18-10, 01:17 AM
There's one on eBay that is triple black with the cloth top that really doesn't look bad.

hueterm
08-18-10, 08:15 AM
I just can't get over the lack of any kind of on center feel to the steering. I could even live w/the bog slow motor.....but the steering on those is something else.......

drewsdeville
08-18-10, 09:53 AM
I just can't get over the lack of any kind of on center feel to the steering. I could even live w/the bog slow motor.....but the steering on those is something else.......

:yup:

Hell yes on the steering. That probably came from the fact that the front end wasn't redesign until 2003. Up until then, it was 1979 engineering. Throw in Fords poor quality front end components (especially pitman arms and ball joints on Ford full sized cars and trucks. If I had a nickel for every...nevermind.) that are probably a little sloppy on any used vehicle and you get no feel behind the wheel and highway wandering.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-18-10, 11:15 AM
The motor isn't as bad as the 307, now that's a turd, but I agree with the zero on-center feel of '80s era Fords, and it wasn't just the Panther Platforms, but a lot of their other models. I remember the F-150s being the same way as well. But for those who want the ultimate in isolation, the Fords are the way to go.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-19-10, 12:04 AM
OK, so I drove it tonight, here's what I think:

The steering isn't as bad as I remembered from driving his previous '88 Town Car. While it's steering feel is typical of a car of it's class and age, it's nothing abnormal nor anything that makes me feel uncomfortable with a lack of feel. The steering feel is able to provide me with a reasonable feel of the road, but remember, in a car like this, isolation is a main priority so it's not gonna ever feel like most modern day cars, but it's not like you're wondering where the front end is going when you're going through a turn. The key word here is SMOOOOTH, isolated and quiet. Everything about this car is smooth, from the way it takes corners, to the way it rides, to the way it accelerates. It's actually kinda fun in a very calm, quiet way to take this thing through turns at a fairly high rate of speed, just to feel the car push back from the curve of the road and feel it heel over, it's all fun as long as you're not going fast enough to hear the tires squeal..

The 302 isn't terribly slow either, certainly not on par with any V-8s today, but it's reasonably quick when you're coming out of the hole with your foot heavy on the gas. If I had to guesstimate, I'd say it's a bit slower than a TBI 350 powered Caprice/Brougham/Roadmaster, so 0-60 in the mid-high 9 second range, so it's not gonna win any races, but it's a lot better than the 307/HT4100 Broughams. The one weird thing that I didn't like about it was how hard overdrive engages at 40-45 mph...I mean it clunks into place, and I remember his '88 Town Car being the same way, but otherwise it shifts smoothly and quietly. It's quite responsive too, it accelerates well from mid range speeds when you're just toeing into the throttle. These were the MPFI setup, so a lot more advanced than the TBI setup GM debuted with in 1987, and that'll reflect well in the fuel economy numbers and overall throttle feel. The Signature Series seats are AMAZING! So deep, plush and comfortable. I got back into my Regal after riding around in this all night and it was like sitting on a park bench, and the seats in the Regals are pretty soft by today's standards, but damn, those were some soft seats! I like how much like an old couch or recliner, you just kinda sink into them and they wrap themselves around you. Probably not the most supportive, but they're SOOOO nice to sit in. The T/C has those auto dimming headlights, so they usually sit on high beams, but when they detect high ambient light, they dim back down to low beams...very cool! How often do you see that nowadays? Does anyone offer those anymore?

I went over to my friends place tonight as well to help him work on his '91 Brougham, and I gotta say that the Broughams look better inside & out, but the Town Cars have a more comfortable interior, and drive nicer overall. They're not as clumsy as the Broughams and they ride smoother and are quieter, plus that digital dash is freaking cool!

Jesda
08-19-10, 12:12 AM
Chad, I cant see the pics. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-19-10, 12:30 AM
Downloaded Photobucket to the Droid. Couldn't figure out an easier way to get pics from phone to computer...

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/cf2d9cc4.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/3fe77b67.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/73e22440.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/b5207c86.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/f5fcb45b.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/824cf9d1.jpg
I love that hood view!
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/627c46d9.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/ec4347c5.jpg
AJ's 91 Brougham 5.0 and the Town Car. I'm lucky to have friends with such great cars.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/3d9f96ab.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/febe776d.jpg

Here's my car with the STS the thread was originally written about.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/6ebdf21f.jpg

Between the '99 STS and '86 Town Car......I'd actually take the Town Car. I like the STS for what it is, but I really like the big, soft, numb full size RWD body on frame luxury cars. Now only if the Town Car could go like the STS could...

77CDV
08-19-10, 02:22 AM
There's always an engine swap....

Stingroo
08-19-10, 08:00 AM
And there's also more 302 performance parts than you could shake a stick at.

hueterm
08-19-10, 09:24 AM
It looks like there is more rear seat legroom in that than in a current TC...

Do those have ABS?

Chad, one of those would pair very nicely w/the GS.........

Stingroo
08-19-10, 10:31 AM
The Brougham looks better from literally every angle, though.

hueterm
08-19-10, 01:50 PM
See Chad, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elHqKb_kJ38

Playdrv4me
08-19-10, 03:48 PM

Absolutely no question.

Playdrv4me
08-19-10, 03:51 PM
See Chad, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elHqKb_kJ38

Christ, that 1988-'94 Continental has to be one of the worst shitboxes ever put out by Ford. Seriously who buys those things? The Deville Touring Sedan is a far better car, even for that smaller body style.

The 1995 redesign of the Connie has to qualify as one of the biggest about-faces ever for any model in the auto industry. I loved my '96.

Stingroo
08-19-10, 03:52 PM
I think I would take the ride of the Brougham only to get away from the look of the Town Car. I figure the wagon is pretty similar to what a 90-92 Brougham would be (just much much louder... :D)

77CDV
08-19-10, 03:55 PM
No way, Sting. The wagon has a much firmer ride than the FWB.

Stingroo
08-19-10, 03:58 PM
Well then I'd be a-okay with one then. :) Everyone says the 90-92 is "truck like", and that's kind of how I would describe the wagon.

So maybe I should add a boxy Brougham to my wish list. :thumbsup:

ga_etc
08-19-10, 04:40 PM
I still see a modded '80-'89 Brougham in my future. That's a project I will see done.

hueterm
08-19-10, 04:54 PM
I don't think I could handle that meager horsepower..........

Stingroo
08-19-10, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I'd need a 90-92 with the 350 as a bare minimum.

hueterm
08-19-10, 05:24 PM
I was talking about the TC, but it works for the Brougham too...

Stingroo
08-19-10, 06:21 PM
Oh, well like I said above, there's plenty of performance 302 parts. :devil:

gdwriter
08-19-10, 08:06 PM
Seats in the Town Car look very cushy. Probably more so than the Brougham unless it's a d'Elegance. I remember the driver's seat in JD's Brougham being nice, but not something you'd sink deep into. The back seat was cushier simply for lack of use. But I think my fat ass would sink quite comfortably into the ones in that TC.

Beyond that, an 80s Town Car (or any TC for that matter) is not anything that really gets my wheels spinning, but if Brandon likes it, that's all that matters.

ga_etc
08-19-10, 08:08 PM
And noticed I said MODDED. The 307 inhabiting the engine bay would not stay long after purchase.

The 302 in the TC would get built too, if it were me.

Jesda
08-19-10, 08:20 PM
That late 80s Continental really was a pleasant car to drive and be in, but they ate head gaskets, transmissions, and suspension parts. They also had horrible electrical issues. Too much high tech too soon.

hueterm
08-19-10, 08:36 PM
Seats in the Town Car look very cushy. Probably more so than the Brougham unless it's a d'Elegance. I remember the driver's seat in JD's Brougham being nice, but not something you'd sink deep into. The back seat was cushier simply for lack of use. But I think my fat ass would sink quite comfortably into the ones in that TC.

Beyond that, an 80s Town Car (or any TC for that matter) is not anything that really gets my wheels spinning, but if Brandon likes it, that's all that matters.

I thought the same thing -- if you eBay them and look at Signature or Cartier leather seats, they have some pretty aggressive looking wide ass (for wide asses) bolsters that I'm sure are still soft as butter. The headrest looks very comfortable as well.

And I'm sure they were really quiet, even though they are basically bricks w/wheels.

I still think I'd be happier w/an '01 or '02 TC Touring Sedan (make mine red/black please...).

gdwriter
08-19-10, 11:03 PM
Give me a '77-79 DeVille or Fleetwood with a 425 any day.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-20-10, 12:34 AM
It looks like there is more rear seat legroom in that than in a current TC...

Do those have ABS?

Chad, one of those would pair very nicely w/the GS.........

No ABS, and I really like these, and you could get them for very cheap.

From the exterior, yes. I don't like how the post '84 Town Cars don't have a completely flat rear trunklid/bumper. The almost vertical rear end on the Brougham really makes it look imposing. And the Brougham is much better proportioned, and the lines make it appear longer and lower, whereas the Town Car looks taller and boxier by comparison. I do however, love the view from the driver's seat, with the raised front fenders and big raised center section of the hood that looks a lot longer than the Brougham's hood, even though it's probably just as long as the hood on the Cadillac.

Christ, that 1988-'94 Continental has to be one of the worst shitboxes ever put out by Ford. Seriously who buys those things? The Deville Touring Sedan is a far better car, even for that smaller body style.

The 1995 redesign of the Connie has to qualify as one of the biggest about-faces ever for any model in the auto industry. I loved my '96.

Brian (90Brougham350) had a '94 Continental Signature Series for a while last year. It sucked in almost every way imaginable. The 3.8 V6 was gutless, the seats weren't that great, the interior was boring to look at and it wasn't built very well, it didn't get much better mileage than the '97 Town Car he's now got, and it didn't ride well, etc etc. The only reason I can understand that he bought it is because his dad had a few of those when he was a kid, and he wanted a trip down memory lane.

I was talking about the TC, but it works for the Brougham too...

It's not THAT slow! It seems pretty comparable to what I remember an early 3800 Park Avenue feeling like, as far as power delivery and acceleration go.

The Brougham pictured is a Non D'Elegance with the leather interior, much like JD's. After going from the Town Car to the Brougham, the Town Car's seats are miles better, way more plush, deep and velvety soft. It's hard to explain, but in the center part of the bottom and seatback, the velour is not as dense as it is in the surrounding parts of the seats, so you really sink in deep there, and the outer parts support you more. Think of it like an old worn-in recliner, it's like that sort of comfortable, and they almost bolster you in with their deepness and plushness. The Brougham's seats on the other hand, are fairly deep as well, but they're much flatter and not nearly as complex as the Town Car's seats.

Now, Brandon's Brougham D'Elegance on the other hand still isn't as plush or as comfy as the Town Car. Those D'Elegance seats, as he told you, look awesome, but aren't all that comfortable. The button-top tufting doesn't cover the entire seat, so with us, it stops right below our shoulders, and we always feel a noticeable difference in padding all the time when we're in that car. Plus, with it being leather, it's not gonna be as quiet as soft and plush as the velvety velour.

I'm still not really a HUGE Town Car fan (notice the pun), but I really like the 86-89's. I like the '80s style because they combined the general imposing look and over the top feel of the '70s models, but on a much more reasonable size, and they drive much tighter and I actually find these to be very enjoyable to drive, whereas I found that '77 Town Car to be too wallowy, clumsy, numb and isolated. The '90s Town Cars look OK, but they don't ride quite like the '80s models, and they don't have that vintage late '70s/ early '80s era look that I like so much. They did however carry over those awesome Signature Series seats over through 1994.

Bro-Ham
08-20-10, 02:22 AM
Well then I'd be a-okay with one then. :) Everyone says the 90-92 is "truck like", and that's kind of how I would describe the wagon.

So maybe I should add a boxy Brougham to my wish list. :thumbsup:

The 90-92 with the trailer tow package is the combo that has the trucky ride and drive. Without the towing I have heard only good things about the cushiness. The 90 with tow package I had years back was so over the top firm riding that I could hardly stand it and it killed my enthusiasm for the 90-92, which I never really cared all that much for anyway. Put a non-tow Bro-Ham on your list and you'll be happy. :)

gdwriter
08-20-10, 03:52 PM
I'm not a big fan of float. I like a smooth ride, but I also like some control. I know when friends have driven Betty they're surprised because they're thinking a big early 60s car is going to waft down the road but lose all its composure in anything other than a steady cruise. There are plenty of 60s, 70s and 80s cars that do have that pillow-soft ride (along with the float and wallow), but early 60s Impalas are surprisingly roadworthy. I was actually disappointed when one of the back roads I like to take was repaved because it flattened out a couple of whoop-de-doo dips that were so fun to feel Betty take on.

I was surprised by how buttoned-down JD's Brougham was (I assume it has the trailer package because there's a big fat rear stabilizer bar you can see when driving behind it). It didn't feel harsh at all to me, and I thought the ride was very smooth. But even he said a friend's '85 Fleetwood, which didn't have the trailer package) was far cushier than his car.

hueterm
08-20-10, 04:30 PM
"We all float..." "Pennywise"

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-20-10, 06:20 PM
To a purist, a 5.7L 90-92 Brougham doesn't float well enough, it's too firm and unforgiving. Brandon's '91 D'Elegance does not have the trailer tow package, but it's got a stabilizer bar (but then again, so does AJ's 5.0L '91 Brougham) but AJ's 5.0 rides a lot softer than Brandon's 5.7L. Hmm.... This could get confusing.

I like how these float and feel (relatively) isolated. It's nice to slide into one of these after a long day at work and just feel your stresses and tensions slide away under your car, it's like crawling into bed and driving home. Soft, warm, big, cushy, inviting...and smooth. A big reason of why I like his '86 so much is because you literally cannot buy a car like that nowadays, and that's why it feels so much more "special" to me than Ryan's STS does. See, the STS, as nice as it is and for as beautiful as it is, is not really unlike any other luxury saloon on the market today, it's got a lot of luxury features, but it's rough riding and isn't super cushy and soft like the FWB's and TC's were.

gdwriter
08-20-10, 07:03 PM
A big reason of why I like his '86 so much is because you literally cannot buy a car like that nowadays, and that's why it feels so much more "special" to me than Ryan's STS does. See, the STS, as nice as it is and for as beautiful as it is, is not really unlike any other luxury saloon on the market today, it's got a lot of luxury features, but it's rough riding and isn't super cushy and soft like the FWB's and TC's were.That makes sense to me. With Town Car production ending, there really is no big body-on-frame luxury sedan in the old-school American luxury car tradition. Lexus still has that isolation-chamber style of luxury, but even if Lexi are not driver's cars, they're more connected to the road than an old-school Lincoln or Cadillac. And they certainly don't have the chrome and flash of the Detroit dreadnaughts.

It's funny to see an STS described as "rough-riding." Coming out of a TC, I imagine it is.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-20-10, 07:26 PM
I think when they went to the air-sprung rear suspensions in '90, the Town Cars actually became MORE disconnected and isolated. I seem to remember those being a lot more floaty than the '80s models, so much so that my friend Kevin actually got seasick when we test drove a '94 Executive Series a few years back.

77CDV
08-21-10, 01:15 AM
I like how these float and feel (relatively) isolated. It's nice to slide into one of these after a long day at work and just feel your stresses and tensions slide away under your car, it's like crawling into bed and driving home. Soft, warm, big, cushy, inviting...and smooth.

Well there she sits buddy just a-gleaming in the sun
There to greet a working man when his day is done
I'm gonna pack my pa and I'm gonna pack my aunt
I'm gonna take them down to the Cadillac Ranch
Eldorado fins, whitewalls and skirts
Rides just like a little bit of heaven here on earth
Well buddy when I die throw my body in the back
And drive me to the junkyard in my Cadillac

GizmoQ
09-08-10, 05:20 AM
Hopefully, with the addition of Firefox to my stable, I finally qualify.

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad271/GizmoQ/European%20Vacation/FireFox/allblackgraphictopic.gif

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-08-10, 07:06 AM
Yeah I suppose I can let you in. :p :cool2:

gdwriter
09-08-10, 02:43 PM
I like how these float and feel (relatively) isolated. It's nice to slide into one of these after a long day at work and just feel your stresses and tensions slide away under your car, it's like crawling into bed and driving home. Soft, warm, big, cushy, inviting...and smooth.You're in luck, Chad. Cadillac built a car just for you:

http://www.gdwriter.com/3083245806_23e778303e_o.jpg

http://www.gdwriter.com/3082435476_18320922c6_o.jpg

hueterm
09-08-10, 07:39 PM
Very sweet....

gdwriter
09-08-10, 07:45 PM
Very sweet....It's as if the copy was written to Chad's specifications.

hueterm
09-08-10, 07:53 PM
I tell you, listening to Bro-Ham really makes the idea of turning one of those into a DD a very tempting idea... LOW miles and excellent condition you're only looking at $12K.... That's like a Corolla that was ridden hard and put away wet.

Plus, I don't drive that much in town.....

However....I think they're too long for my garage....

ga_etc
09-08-10, 09:44 PM
Hey Mike!...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-Cadillac-Coupe-Deville-/200516012023?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eafaf87f7

hueterm
09-08-10, 09:50 PM
Hush!

ga_etc
09-08-10, 09:53 PM
Not gonna do it.

77CDV
09-08-10, 09:59 PM
For 2500, you can do better.

Jesda
09-08-10, 10:10 PM
Hopefully, with the addition of Firefox to my stable, I finally qualify.

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad271/GizmoQ/European%20Vacation/FireFox/allblackgraphictopic.gif

I hate you. :D

/jealous

hueterm
09-08-10, 10:39 PM
Not gonna do it.

LOL -- I get myself in enough trouble looking for cars...

ga_etc
09-08-10, 10:49 PM
Me too, hence the Buick in the driveway. Luckily that one didn't come out of my pocket, but I still get to play lol.

gdwriter
09-08-10, 10:53 PM
Hey Mike!...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-Cadillac-Coupe-Deville-/200516012023?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eafaf87f7

Hush!Oooooo...Astroroof and Whorehouse Red interior. Me likey.

Jesda
09-08-10, 10:59 PM
That car is obscene, in an awesome way. DO IT MIKE!

ga_etc
Not bad for the money either.

hueterm
For the mileage and the sunroof, it looks good for $2500 if there isn't any rust.

I wonder if the roof leaks.....?

I actually like those hubcaps...

hueterm
09-08-10, 11:01 PM
That car is obscene, in an awesome way. DO IT MIKE!

Hush! I'm in St. Louis....I'll stalk all of the Chesterfield apt. complexes and find you...Ducky can't be that hard to find ;-)

hueterm
09-08-10, 11:03 PM
All the way up in NY -- it would take 2 days to drive back....

ga_etc
09-08-10, 11:04 PM
Hush! I'm in St. Louis....I'll stalk all of the Chesterfield apt. complexes and find you...Ducky can't be that hard to find ;-)

I don't think you would have to stalk long. A brown man riding around in an old Saab convertible with a constant stream of Abba coming from it? I think the neighbors would lead you to him. LOL

Jesda
09-08-10, 11:24 PM
LOL, the cops too. I pass them every night at 2-3am on the parkway. I'm usually the only person on the road.

ga_etc
09-08-10, 11:33 PM
Start stealing Ian's LS. At 3am it instantly takes you from being a shifty crack head looking for a fix, to a gas station owner on his way home.

orconn
09-08-10, 11:36 PM
^^^ Yeah, and the beagle would be a dead give away!

Personally, I like the red leather with metallic grey exterior, sure as hell beats a grey or black interior on that car. I particularly liked the dark red (cordovan color?) color leather interiors Cadillac used to offer. Back when Detroit was getting their interior design cues from cast off Turkish Bordello decorators (you know the puffy tufted velour or velvet pillow cushions, that some here are so enamored of) all the colors were a bit much. But today's grey, black and neutral really are making for a dull driving environment ..... particuarly "shades of grey!"