: We give out second chances very freely, but....

orconn
08-09-10, 05:15 PM
As a society, we Americans are almost profligate with giving out second chances to those who have erred. But we seem to value only those that win first place, totally forgetting, or even diparaging thoise that come second or third place.

It never fails to amaze me how we are willing to forgive major transgressions of our mores and basic morals, rewarding those who have knowingly thumbed their noses at our values with some of the highest rewards and honors we have to give. Mean while we ignore those that have failed to come in first, by maybe a fraction of a second, and even go so far as to consider these people to be failures for not being the "Winner."

OffThaHorseCEO
08-09-10, 08:50 PM
yes..........

Bro-Ham
08-09-10, 11:19 PM
Orr, WHAT are you talking about?! :) I'll take a stab at this. First place is like first class - what else is there but winning or being on top? There must be a super highest status otherwise there would be no need to strive to achieve it. As much as we would all like to be winners it isn't possible. Self discipline and/or external discipline drives winners to keep trying.

As for second chances, of course. This is America, for heaven's sake! Nobody is perfect. Failure happens, in every imaginable form, and the essence of greatness is overcoming these obstacles, learning from mistakes, and striving to do better again and again until you're where you want to be.

Anything is possible - you just need to focus like a laser and wiggle your tail. If all else fails, there are always cocktails. :)

Lupin
08-10-10, 12:08 AM
What are you on about, friend?

The-Dullahan
08-10-10, 01:22 AM
And today, in 2010, people still drive Foreign cars. even after they've developed tendencies to randomly explode, spin out of control, lose all ability to brake, have their gas pedals stick to the floor, have the seatbelts suddenly disengage in collisions... Kind of makes me miss The Northlands, where Foreign cars didn;t exist, unless they were from the '40's. Kind of didn't know foreign companies were still producing cars, but then again, I didn't know there were people who still listened to hop-hop after the downfall of the 70's. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!