: How low to let OIL LIFE MONITOR go?

kschwed
08-09-10, 04:14 PM
2006 STS 1SC

Mine is at 19%. The local caddy dealer is having a special. For approx. $75 I can get a Mobil 1 oil change, new rain-x wipers, a wash, and a 27 point inspection. I figure the extras are probably worth the $20 or so I have left in my oil life.

What do you all think?

caddyfat2
08-09-10, 05:01 PM
I have only got 2 oil changes in the 2 plus years that I have owned my STS. When the OLM goes to zero I change my oil and not until but for the mere 19% that you will lose and the wiper blades an other goodies that you'll receive is worth it. Enjoy your Caddy and have a ball.

next2pool
08-09-10, 06:54 PM
2006 STS 1SC

Mine is at 19%. The local caddy dealer is having a special. For approx. $75 I can get a Mobil 1 oil change, new rain-x wipers, a wash, and a 27 point inspection. I figure the extras are probably worth the $20 or so I have left in my oil life.

What do you all think?

Well, it may be worth it to give up the 20% of usable oil life, but beware of the scare tactics they may throw at you with that 27 point inspection!

EChas3
08-09-10, 09:27 PM
Make sure they really use Mobile 1. Some dealers will short you given an opportunity.

dkozloski
08-10-10, 03:25 AM
The factory service manual says to let the OLM go to zero and then you have two gas tank fillups to get the oil changed.

C&C
08-10-10, 05:53 AM
The manual says you can go to zero (or one year, whichever comes first); at 19%, and all the extra goodies, I'd go for the deal.

kschwed
08-10-10, 02:39 PM
The manual says you can go to zero (or one year, whichever comes first); at 19%, and all the extra goodies, I'd go for the deal.

Thats what I figure.

JackG
08-10-10, 03:28 PM
20% is a lot of life.... just for some wiper blades and the rip off free inspection which they will wind up claiming something else needs to be done.

EChas3
08-10-10, 09:06 PM
At their prices, you're tossing about $15 of oil. Wipers installed easily covers that.

Are you gonna let them change your air or cabin filter?

fps_dean
08-10-10, 11:48 PM
2006 STS 1SC

What do you all think?

My dealer recommends scheduling service when it hits 10-15% or so just to be sure to get it in on time, so 15, 19%, close enough.

kschwed
08-11-10, 12:13 PM
At their prices, you're tossing about $15 of oil. Wipers installed easily covers that.

Are you gonna let them change your air or cabin filter?

I just replaced my cabin air filter with an activated charcoal one. I dont notice any difference really. In fact, there is even a smell that smells something like urine that I can sometimes smell when the car has been sitting in the heat all day then I turn the AC on. That was there prior to the new cabin filter.

As far as the air filter, I havent replaced that since I got the car last november. I dont know how long it has been in there. I suppose I should check it to confirm whether it's good or bad before I bring it in.

caddyfat2
08-12-10, 10:53 AM
My dealer recommends scheduling service when it hits 10-15% or so just to be sure to get it in on time, so 15, 19%, close enough.

Naturally the dealer would tell you that seeing if everyone would change their oil at 10-15% they would stand to make thousands of dollars more in profits when it's not required.

kadiLacDaddy
08-12-10, 07:39 PM
Theres no way i would only get 2 oil changes a year!!! sure the oil might be ok but you have to realize that the filter is only paper and will get dirty.. i dont see it lasting that many KM. i recomend doing oilchanges every 3500km

caddyfat2
08-12-10, 09:39 PM
The manual says you can go to zero (or one year, whichever comes first).

I think it is a matter of personal preference as to when one wants to change their oil but I will simply go by the book.

Force-1
08-13-10, 07:33 PM
I change my oil once a year since I get nowhere near the 0% in that time. Car is 3 1/2 years old and has 23K on the clock.

I'm taking my C6 Corvette in next week for LOF. The DIC says 82%, but it has been a year since last LOF.

JGarten
08-13-10, 10:34 PM
I just replaced my cabin air filter with an activated charcoal one. I dont notice any difference really. In fact, there is even a smell that smells something like urine that I can sometimes smell when the car has been sitting in the heat all day then I turn the AC on. That was there prior to the new cabin filter.

As far as the air filter, I havent replaced that since I got the car last november. I dont know how long it has been in there. I suppose I should check it to confirm whether it's good or bad before I bring it in.

I just replaced both the cabin and engine air filters for $42.77 shipped less $7 in rebates = $35.77 (RockAuto.com rocks!). I got the FRAM ExtraGuard engine air filter ($2 rebate) and it fit perfectly (and the paper element looked identical to the ACDelco filter it replaced). I also got the ATP carbon cabin filter ($5 rebate) and the wife and I both commented how, in heavy city traffic, neither of us smelled the typical exhaust fumes - especially diesel. Changing filters is a little more painful than it should be because they over-engineered the air boxes, but it simple enough to do yourself.

ATP GA11 Cabin Air Filter $23.79 (18.79 final)
FRAM CA9953 Air Filter $11.41 (9.41 final)
Shipping Ground $ 7.57
Order Total $42.77

turnerbend
08-13-10, 11:28 PM
I change my 05 STS once a year whether it need it or not. Have change oil 4 or 5 times and most of the time it will be around 60 or 70%. Have about 14000 miles on vehicle.

EChas3
08-14-10, 12:16 AM
Theres no way i would only get 2 oil changes a year!!! sure the oil might be ok but you have to realize that the filter is only paper and will get dirty.. i dont see it lasting that many KM. i recomend doing oilchanges every 3500km

IMHO that's a big waste. 8,000 km on Mobile1 is still ridiculously conservative. If the Oil Life Monitor is good enough to win SAE awards, I'll trust it.

fps_dean
08-14-10, 05:53 PM
Naturally the dealer would tell you that seeing if everyone would change their oil at 10-15% they would stand to make thousands of dollars more in profits when it's not required.

The point was so you don't hit 0%. And when I'm scheduling service for a saturday in the next couple weeks, that's not too bad!

KRSTS
08-14-10, 06:37 PM
I change my 05 STS once a year whether it need it or not. Have change oil 4 or 5 times and most of the time it will be around 60 or 70%. Have about 14000 miles on vehicle.

My owners manual REQUIRES that my oil be changed at least once a year to maintain the warranty!