: driver mirror

parrot418
08-09-10, 10:24 AM
does anyone else think there is something really goofy about the driver's side mirror? something about that line that goes around about 1/4 inch from the edge. i just cant seem to figure out its purpose besides irritating me!

sube5186
08-09-10, 10:37 AM
It's designed like that because it's an auto dimming mirror. The center portion of the mirror dims from the headlights of oncoming vehicles. There is no setting to turn this feature on or off. It comes on automatically when it detects headlights.

Sube

jcarlilesiu
08-09-10, 01:07 PM
Why not have the whole mirror dim?

I don't understand the line around it either. Its like somebody got the measurement wrong.

It never fails that when I am on the highway and somebody behind me has their high beams on, the glare lines up perfectly with the area around the outside of the mirror that doesn't dim.

Why would they leave that area not dimming?

TheCaptain
08-09-10, 03:32 PM
Isn't that the light detective piece? Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that piece needs to read light being spread across a certain percentage of it before it dims the mirror?

sube5186
08-09-10, 07:55 PM
Isn't that the light detective piece? Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that piece needs to read light being spread across a certain percentage of it before it dims the mirror?

Sounds logical to me.

Sube

leftturn
08-10-10, 10:40 AM

i am pretty sure that's it.

jcarlilesiu
08-10-10, 12:28 PM
Sorry guys, but I dont think you are right. The detector for the self dimming mirrors is located on the rear view mirror. See that oval at the top with an opaque infill. That is the sensor.

For proof, try this. At night, get in your car and turn the overhead lights on. The light will shine in that sensor, and your mirrors will dim. Both the rearview AND the driver mirror. Turn the overhead cabin light off, and the mirrors will stop dimming.

This works with no light behind you like in your driveway.

The mirrors don't dim independantly.

The area around the perimeter of the mirror should dim in my opinion.