: Long XM antenna

drjdan
08-07-10, 10:13 PM
Why does the SRX have the long XM antenna with the wire wraped around it vs. the small stubby ones like the other Cadillacs?

algiorda
08-07-10, 11:47 PM
I think that is the Cell Phone antennae and not XM radio.

sube5186
08-08-10, 11:51 AM
It's a Multi-Band antenna.....AM, FM, XM, OnStar and GPS (page 6-18). There is no cell phone antenna. When your cell phone connects to your SRX via Bluetooth, it uses its own antenna.

Sube

bobhoff
08-08-10, 12:39 PM
It's a Multi-Band antenna.....AM, FM, XM, OnStar and GPS (page 6-18). There is no cell phone antenna. When your cell phone connects to your SRX via Bluetooth, it uses its own antenna.

Sube
When you make a call with Onstar or talk to Onstar isn't that a cell phone call?

sube5186
08-08-10, 01:45 PM
When you make a call with Onstar or talk to Onstar isn't that a cell phone call?

Nope. It uses "satellites", not cell phone towers. That's why theoretically it's more reliable. You could be out in the middle of the desert (where there are no cell phone towers) and still make an OnStar call.

Sube

TheCaptain
08-08-10, 04:14 PM
The XM antenna is encased in the body coloured section that is flat.

drjdan
08-08-10, 06:47 PM
The question still remains as to why the SRX uses this style antenna vs. the short one used by CTS? Doesn't the CTS have all the same communication and entertainment features that the SRX has?

algiorda
08-08-10, 08:13 PM
Nope. It uses "satellites", not cell phone towers. That's why theoretically it's more reliable. You could be out in the middle of the desert (where there are no cell phone towers) and still make an OnStar call.

Sube

Are you sure about the Satellite Phone? I'm pretty sure uses regular cell towers. My previous SRX allowed me to link my phone to my Verizon account. I didn't think Verizon used Satellite phone.

sube5186
08-08-10, 08:16 PM
The question still remains as to why the SRX uses this style antenna vs. the short one used by CTS? Doesn't the CTS have all the same communication and entertainment features that the SRX has?

Might have something to do with a combination of practicability and aesthetics. A flexible rubber antennas would be less susceptible to breakage from obstacles. There's a greater risk of this on a taller vehicle. I don't think the longer rubber antennas are necessary nor would they look right on a luxury "sedan". They look fine on a crossover or SUV.

Sube

sube5186
08-08-10, 08:23 PM
Are you sure about the Satellite Phone? I'm pretty sure uses regular cell towers. My previous SRX allowed me to link my phone to my Verizon account. I didn't think Verizon used Satellite phone.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure. The manual is pretty specific on the antenna uses, and they don't mention cell phones. Maybe Verizon was using OnStar as sort of a proxy server. That is, they could have been paying OnStar for their satellite use and passing the cost on to the customer.

Sube

bobhoff
08-09-10, 01:51 AM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure. The manual is pretty specific on the antenna uses, and they don't mention cell phones. Maybe Verizon was using OnStar as sort of a proxy server. That is, they could have been paying OnStar for their satellite use and passing the cost on to the customer.

Sube

Page 4-46 SRX Owner Manual:
OnStar service cannot work unless
the vehicle is in a place where
OnStar has an agreement with a
wireless service provider for service
in that area. OnStar service also
cannot work unless the vehicle is in
a place where the wireless service
provider OnStar has hired for that
area has coverage, network
capacity and reception when the
service is needed, and technology
that is compatible with the OnStar
service. Not all services are
available everywhere, particularly in
remote or enclosed areas, or at all
times.

ewill3rd
08-09-10, 08:21 AM
OnStar uses satellites to triangulate the vehicle's position for GPS tracking to locate the vehicle.
For phone calls it uses regular cellular towers. The main benefit is that the transceiver is 20 times more powerful on the OnStar system than a handset phone so you get better coverage.

The mast with the wire molded into it is the cellular antenna, no telling why they do it one way on certain models and another way on others.
The AM/FM antennas are usually grids on the window glass these days.

The roof mounted antennas do have multiple purposes, they have OnStar functions including GPS and cellular antennas and integrate the XM radio antenna.

When you use bluetooth with the vehicle systems, you are using your cellular phone to connect to the cell network and the vehicle just becomes basically a wireless headset.

Hope this clears up a lot of confusion.

sube5186
08-09-10, 10:55 AM
OK, I think I get it now. So if you make a regular cell phone call, you're using your cell phone's antenna. If you make an OnStar phone call by pressing the "phone" button on your rearview mirror, you're using the car's transceiver to connect to a cell phone tower. If you press the blue "OnStar" button, you're connecting to an OnStar operator via the car transceiver's connection to a cell phone tower. Is this correct?

Thanks ewill3rd for clearing that up for us.

Sube

jcarlilesiu
08-09-10, 01:05 PM
Ok, so is there a way to allow your cell phone to use the built in antenna? Somebody mentioned that on their previous SRX, they were able to use the car as the cell phone, with verizon I believe, rather than use their cell phone.

Just curious.

stevec5375
08-09-10, 02:18 PM
Ok, so is there a way to allow your cell phone to use the built in antenna? Somebody mentioned that on their previous SRX, they were able to use the car as the cell phone, with verizon I believe, rather than use their cell phone.

Just curious.

If you push the Phone button on the mirror, that uses the car's antenna. But, you would have to have purchased some minutes via OnStar to use that method. I think the carrier that is used by OnStar is Verizon.

algiorda
08-09-10, 08:34 PM
Has anyone driven their car through a car wash? Was the room Antennae damaged in any way???

Smokin' SRX
08-18-10, 11:08 PM
Excell explanation EWILL3rd. I bet the tallish antenna on the X has to do with body planes of the vehicle and wave lengths used for FM/AM/XM/Cell. It's a very tech science.

Re: using Verizon as your with your SRX, I used to do that before switching to the incompatible AT&T service. You had to put the cars built-in phone number as a Family and Friends 2nd phone @ $9.95 a month, and have it share in your cells phones minute plan. Was cheaper than buying the Onstar minutes.

So then if you pushed the phone button ,on the car, you were using that phone, that phone number, and it's car-top antenna, on a Verizon plan. But your little cell phone still used it's own antenna/battery and just trans the signal to the Bluetooth car radio.

I used to Forward my little cell phone to the cars phone number, for long trips, to get the better signal/speaker clarity of the built in system. Never on short hauls as I had to remember to undo it when I got out, or miss calls to an empty car.

Anyway, you had to have Verizon as a carrier. Period. But this was 2 years ago...

SS

ewill3rd
08-19-10, 08:21 AM
All Cellular communication of any kind with OnStar is done through the cellular antenna.

Bluetooth calling (on equipped vehicles) uses your handset for the connection. The car is just a hands free device and no other circuits on the car are used.

You used to be able to do the Verizon thing just described above but I believe they stopped that in 2009, unless you already had it, you can't get it.
For personal calling now you have to buy minutes through OnStar and they are sold at a pretty premium price.
Personally I'd use BT and do calling with my handset. It is nice to use the more powerful OnStar transceiver, but as stated... the only way to do that is with OnStar minutes these days.

Smokin' SRX
08-19-10, 12:56 PM

Just curious.

Good question. But no, you cannot connect in any way, your personal cell phone to the built in roof antenna on the X.

However...................if you have Verizon as your carrier, they did have (think they still do) a Friends & Family plan, whereby you add the X's built-in phone onto your regular cell package for $9.95 more a month and then both the X and your personal cellphone share the minutes available. Much cheaper than buying Onstar phone minutes so you won't hesitate to call with the X's built-in phone, utilizing it's superior power and sound. But your cell is still using it's own wimpy antenna to catch signal and just relaying it to the X's Bluetooth radio for talking.

Only catch was that you had to get a new phone # for the X. (big deal) Couldn't use what was in there. At least that was the requirement 1 1/2 years ago.

Whether you go this route or not, you can always FORWARD your personal cell calls to your Built-in phone number and THEN ipso-facto, you are using the built-in antenna and powerful receiver of the X to make/take your personal cell's calls! Just don't forget to "Un-forward" your cell when exiting the X or you won't get calls on your personal cell. They'll keep getting forwarded to voicemail. And unless you do get the 2nd Verizon #, those forwarded calls eat up expensive minutes of the Onstar phone! Beware....

SS

bobarry
08-19-10, 08:37 PM
Has anyone driven their car through a car wash? Was the room Antennae damaged in any way???

It looks like it will unscrew and can be removed.

Another car washing question. I'm confused about what I read about the 'automatic sensing' wipers. I'm gonna make sure the AutoBell guys shut the engine off or whatever to disable them. :)

Haven't washed mine yet.
1000 miles and loving it.

Bo

ewill3rd
08-20-10, 08:38 AM
I believe as of June or July of 2009 you can no longer add your vehicle to your Verizon plan.

Important Notice: OnStar and Verizon Wireless have discontinued the shared minute program for new enrollments. Learn more about what this decision means for you.

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/handsfreecalling#popup2

Some of the masts can easily be removed to run the car through a wash.

Make sure the stalk or wiper switch is in the full off position before putting it in a wash.
Once water hits the glass if it is in standby mode they will come on.

Smokin' SRX
08-20-10, 09:30 AM
Thx ewill3rd for update on Verizon plan. Too bad they stopped taking it. So either we pay for expensive Onstar minutes to forward our cell calls to the car, or just use the Bluetooth w/ our cells wimpy antenna.

By the way, if you weren't offered, when I first pressed the Blue OS button, day 1, the first welcoming OS agent offered me 900 minutes of OS phone minutes for $13.95 !! that's way cheaper than any cell plan. ASK for it if you didn't get offered!!

Smokin' SRX
08-20-10, 09:36 AM
I woulda NOT taken the Auto Sense if optioned, because my friends wife bent the $%^#@ out of both wiper arms in a car-wash! Expensive wash..........

Make sure the middle DIC (center of speedometer ) says "Auto Sense OFF" by moving the wiper arm control switch to confirm, right before you enter the car wash.

SS

sube5186
08-20-10, 09:40 AM
While you're at it, make sure you fold your exterior rear view mirrors as well.

Sube

Smokin' SRX
08-20-10, 11:04 AM
Sube, I do power fold 'em, then get ready to quickly UN-fold cause the guys drying the X PULL them back out for me otherwise! That can't be good for the motors/clutches in there.

I mostly stay in the X now, thru the wash, to easily control this. Too difficult to run over, get in, and unfold as they begin drying/wiping. If I go to a wash that will NOT let me stay in the X, I do NOT fold 'em anymore, for above reasons. Hasn't caused any problem but does seem rough on the paint? Then again, doing 65MPH in the rain is rough on them too.................

SS

stevec5375
08-20-10, 11:20 AM
You people that use automated car washes are brave indeed with your brand new car. As pointed out, car wash employees "manually" fold the power mirrors. They use power washers to literally blast away bird droppings or similar spots. They might as well have sand-blasted your clear coat. Some have had their chrome rims ruined by the tracks in the tunnel. They will wipe down your car's interior/exterior with grit encrusted rags and leave scratches in the clear coat, light lens, chrome, etc. and the interior wood trim.

No thanks! I'll endure the inconvenience of my weekly do-it-yourself job.

sube5186
08-20-10, 01:46 PM
No thanks! I'll endure the inconvenience of my weekly do-it-yourself job.

:thumbsup:

Likewise.

Sube