: Winter warm ups - Valet?

JackG
08-07-10, 09:19 PM
I was wondering if you have any idea...

In the winter I always warm up my car before drivin.
I have done this for years and with many cars. I feel that
it extends the life of thecar and saves many little mechanical
issues.

So now I got this amazing STS and I own it..no warrantly.
Of course I warm it up in the winter before driving.

But what about when you Valet the car? When you leave the venue,
the valet does not warm up the car. Starts the car cold and goes!

Do you have any advice for me on what you do in this situation?

Thanks!

EChas3
08-07-10, 10:06 PM
Unless it's very cold (sub-zero F) the only benefit to warming up a car is the creature comfort. You should drive off gently, but without any substantial delay. Since the advent of fuel injection & computer control, cars are designed that way and warm-up quicker by driving.

Extensive warm-up's actually used to be bad for the car because the fuel/air ratio was so rich that gas would leak into the oil and contaminate it. Assuming you're using Mobile 1 as recommended, warm up's just waste gas.

Jsid7
08-07-10, 10:25 PM
Start. Let run for about 20-30 seconds. Drive away easy.

dkozloski
08-08-10, 11:00 PM
According to a member of the Northstar design team; the car was designed to be forced to life after being cold soaked at -40F and immediately brought to wide open throttle and it was required to operate smoothly and survive.

Start the car, let it idle for 10-15 seconds, and drive away with moderate acceleration and speed. Prolonged idling prolongs the warm-up and prolongs the wear.

JackG
08-10-10, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Midnight
08-10-10, 04:57 PM
> the car was designed to be forced to life after being cold soaked at -40F and immediately brought to wide open throttle and it was required to operate smoothly and survive

Lol. That's awesome.

turnerbend
08-10-10, 05:45 PM
On the coldest mornings, start the car, fasten the set belt and drive off. Did that for years not problems.

next2pool
08-11-10, 01:12 AM
On the coldest mornings, start the car, fasten the set belt and drive off. Did that for years not problems.

Get in it and go! I wouldn't floor it out of the chute, but other than that you aren't doing it any favors with even letting it run 20 seconds. If you've ever been on an assembly line. these cars are started and floored immediately when they hit the rolls at the end of the line. Years ago these engines used to be hot started in the engine plant, but no more.

MacMuse
08-11-10, 11:27 AM

Good sentiment, but you're in Georgia. brrr. NOT.

just kidding.

Midnight
08-11-10, 11:32 AM
See the thing about that is, it's totally awesome that it can be floored right after a cold start and not blow up. But that doesn't say anything about how it might affect the longevity of the engine, ie, letting it warm up ~20s vs start and go, for a period of years, over an average of many engines.

turnerbend
08-11-10, 12:14 PM
As long as you got lubrication, (oil pressure light off) you will be ok to drive off. I would not floor it on a hot start. When you start the car and fasten you seat belt, the oil pressure light should be off.

jedhead
08-12-10, 06:19 AM
Every time I pull up to the valet, Ferris Bueller's Day Off pops in my head.

Bob

Midnight
08-12-10, 11:36 AM
http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/28/winnipegjoyride.jpg

fps_dean
08-15-10, 12:44 PM
I usually start my car as I am leaving work and let it warm as I walk across the lot. It's only about 30-60 seconds, but it should be more than adequate on most cold days to get the engine warm enough to not damage the engine.

As stated, extensive warm ups are not good -- will just build up excess carbon, but I'm a strong supporter of a short warmup before driving in the winter.