: Newbie here...I have a few questions

t600
08-07-10, 03:29 PM
New member here so hello to everyone, I'm researching a 06-07 STS and have a few questions. First off I'm coming from an Infiniti G35 and having had nothing but sports cars in the past I am really getting tired of the constant jittery ride. My question here is does the V8 model and V6 model ride about the same? It's my understanding that the adjustable shocks are only available on the V8 model....do they give a better ride than the base shocks or are they tuned more toward better handling? I'm buying preowned so I'd like to know what to look for before I get to the dealership since ride is one of the most important aspects I'm looking for. Also the CPO warranty is really one of the biggest reasons I'm considering the car. From reading Cadillac's website it seems like its not far from being a bumper to bumper warranty for 100k miles. Of course things like wear items aren't covered but does Cadillac have restrictions on bringing the car in for maintenance to keep the warranty valid? Also from reading the car traders around my area it looks like the Cadillac CPO warranty is even able to be transferred to a new owner if I were to sell the car before the warranty expires. Is the warranty as good as it sounds? I have searched the internet on these things but it seems like everywhere I look people are saying different things. Thanks everyone for your help in advance!

EChas3
08-07-10, 03:58 PM
The FE3 Magnetic Ride Control shocks do provide a more sport-oriented feel & ride; AWD models even more so. My wife's 2007 STS is a Hertz fleet model and offers a dramatic contrast to my loaded 2006 AWD with FE3. The data sheet on her car contains several suspension RPO codes (deletes?). Take the time to test drive differently equipped cars. The differences will surprise you.

The CPO isn't quite as good as it was before the terms were adjusted in early 2009, but I think there is concensus among forum members that it's the best choice of extended warranties (when offered). These cars can be expensive to fix, especially when fully equipped.

SlickCityStan
08-07-10, 09:08 PM
If your looking for a non-sportscar type ride(firm) don't get a STS! If you want a car that rides like a "Cadillac" look at the DTS or CTS.

TulsaVic
08-07-10, 09:52 PM
Or get a DTS Performance (comes with the magnetic ride control) . Smoother than the STS but less mushy than the typical DTS ride....

t600
08-08-10, 01:09 AM
Wow guys this is not the response I was hoping to get. I'm having a hard time just finding a premium car that rides good but isn't a yacht. A DTS would be totally out of the question, I just turned 30 and honestly that car would never work :-). I also read elsewhere that a CTS rides firmer than a STS so is that true or not? I'm not looking for a soft floaty ride like a Lexus LS460 or anything like that just something smooth that doesn't transmit everything from the road. I just got back from a vacation in my G35 and I was wore out from the constant jittering and bobbing going down the road not so much the impacts from potholes and such, but the constant movement in the car. Ride can be subjective so I think it would be in my best interest to just go and drive one and see for myself. With that said and to save me from driving all over Charlotte, the best riding STS should be a V6 with rear wheel drive only correct? If that's the case I will try and locate one and then I will know if I can't handle the ride then it's back to trying to find another car that will ride decent. When I read that you could set the firmness in the DIC on the STS I was all excited hearing about the "touring" mode which I thought would be pretty soft. I fell in love with the ride of a Mercedes E500 I test drove a couple weeks ago but I am terrified of the bills on it if something was to break, I figured the STS with the magnetic shocks would ride similar to the airmatic shocks in the Mercedes. Anyways, thanks to those who chimed in to help.

CadillacSTS42005
08-08-10, 08:29 AM
As long as you get an STS without MRC you should be happy. All V6s didnt have it and on V8s the 1SE didnt and there was deletes for it on the 1SF I think as a member has a Hertz 1SF with it speced out.

Personally I dont get all the bitching, I have a 05 1SG AWD with MRC and love it. I can throw it into a bend under performance mode and know it wont dip down or wash out. On the highway I can set it in touring and it rides just fine. I think too many come from the older Seville/Deville/Eldo (which i have i owned a 03 STS with MRC and a 97 STS with CVRSS) and while tighter then them is is not as some have said like driving a cart on wood wheels, for anyone that has that ideology I invited them to go for a ride in my lowered 98 SS which has performance shocks.

CadillacSTS42005
08-08-10, 08:33 AM
Oh and CPO follows the car, as long as its CPOed it doesnt matter who the owner is, and as long as you keep receipts showing you have done the maintence yourself the dealer wont give you any trouble. Mine has never asked for them but when I asked them about it, they said keep them just incase and that would be fine as proof.

caddyfat2
08-08-10, 08:40 AM
I love my 05 STS4 ,1SG with ACC and HUD. It doesn't ride like the traditional Cadillac but man it's a beast and if you like performance you'll like the STS with the above mentioned trim.

turnne
08-10-10, 07:06 AM
The Magnetic Ride control car will come closest to the Mercedes E that you test drove...however this car is no Benz...so while Cadillac took away the body roll and floatiness there can be some harshness on a lot of uneven road
I have owned a few Benz and BMW products overs the years...the newer STS comes closest to those...at least in its V8 AWD version anyway. The steering and the brakes are light years ahead of anything that GM has has in the past. The car actually has a pretty good turning radius and will stop pretty quickly and the brakes don't seem to fade after repeated aggressive use like the older body style did

Warren

kschwed
08-11-10, 01:36 PM
I have a 2006 STS v6 1sc (Fully loaded without magnetic ride as it doesnt come on the v6). The ride is smooth as long as you dont put huge rims on. I have the stock 17" rims and new yokohama tires. It's not as smooth as a DTS or a LS470, but it is still comfortable.

Honestly, it is all preference. You can get a thousand opinions, but you're the one buying the car, so only yours counts. Test drive one.

KRSTS
08-11-10, 05:39 PM
I have a 2006 STS v6 1sc (Fully loaded without magnetic ride as it doesnt come on the v6). The ride is smooth as long as you dont put huge rims on. I have the stock 17" rims and new yokohama tires. It's not as smooth as a DTS or a LS470, but it is still comfortable.

Honestly, it is all preference. You can get a thousand opinions, but you're the one buying the car, so only yours counts. Test drive one.

What yokohamas did you put on? I just ordered a set of the new AVID ENVigors from tire rack. Can't wait to see how they perform? Got to better than the OEM Michelins ya think? :bouncy:

southcocoabeach
08-11-10, 07:31 PM
Try to find an 07 v8 as it will have the new 6 speed auto and unless you live in snow area stick with rwd.good luck.

EChas3
08-11-10, 08:04 PM
While the 6-speed will get better mileage, my 2006 AWD N* has the 5-speed and 3:23 gear. I really enjoy how nicely it handles a wide range of driving. Fast, moderate or slow; downhill, flat or uphill; the transmission does an outstanding job of keeping the RPM's where I like them; ready to go!

My wife's 2007 RWD N* has the 6-speed and higher gear. It tends to find the higher gear in a lot of situations. The downshifts are quick & smooth, just required more frequently than I prefer. I think there is a performance penalty for better mileage.

Make sure you like the setup of the car before you buy. Take the time to be sure. You'll be glad you did.

kschwed
08-11-10, 09:30 PM
What yokohamas did you put on? I just ordered a set of the new AVID ENVigors from tire rack. Can't wait to see how they perform? Got to better than the OEM Michelins ya think? :bouncy:

advans.4.

i like them a lot. Amazing traction, and pretty smooth and quiet.

t600
09-30-10, 09:35 PM
Ok guys, I hate to bring back to life an old thread but something came up and I'm just now getting back into looking for a new ride. I'm hopefully going to be able to break away over the weekend to look at some STS's and a few different other cars. While just searching for STS's I found one at the local Ford dealership. It looks to be a good deal although I was really wanting a CPO car so I can rest easy about potential repair bills. The car is a 2006 RWD v8 car with 40k miles that looks to be loaded up and while looking at the carfax I saw that when it was sold to owner 3(last owner) it was sold as a Certified Pre-Owned Cadillac from a Cadillac dealer on 9-11-09. As I was told above the warranty goes with the car so i'm assuming that this car WOULD in fact still have the CPO warranty even though its being sold through a Ford dealership? Is that a correct assumption? The car had 34k miles when it was sold as a CPO to owner 3. If this car is still a CPO then it would be tons more appealing to me since the same car sold at a Cadillac dealership as a CPO would be $2,000 higher at least. I was wanting a 2007 v8 since it would include the 6 speed auto but im betting the gas mileage difference is not huge, I don't have a heavy foot. Thanks for the help guys!!

jedhead
09-30-10, 10:18 PM
If I were you , I would check with National Car Rental or Hertz and see if they have a STS you can rent. I actually never considered a STS until I had one for a week as a rental. I had one pretty loaded V6 with the 6 speed auto. With the 300hp direct injected V6 I didn't think the car was loosing much to the V8 and the gas milage was pretty good for a large car 27hwy and 21 around town. I did buy a STS-V a year later.

Bob

RippyPartsDept
09-30-10, 10:29 PM
yes the CPO transfers with the sale, just like the factory warranty

and the V8 really does make the car special... and I think many if not most V8s were fully optioned up