: 1999 sts

Cadillacman1968
08-07-10, 10:37 AM
Hey I have a bad N* of course, my question is can I swap in a 95 vin y as far as bolting in, I'm changing the cams anyway, just wondering what year engine I can use without all the trouble of trying to move connectors and stuff. Thanks Bruce

Ranger
08-07-10, 12:06 PM
The '95 is a 4.9 and I doubt that will work. Not to mention it is OBDI and your car is OBDII. Check the sticky on Northstar swaps at the top of the forum page.

ejguillot
08-07-10, 12:37 PM
To the OP:

What went wrong with your Northstar? If it's the headgasket issue, the various members of this forum have had a lousy track record with engine replacement as a fix - most have seen another failure within 20,000 miles.

You're better off fixing the one you have.

CadillacSTS42005
08-07-10, 01:18 PM
The '95 is a 4.9 and I doubt that will work. Not to mention it is OBDI and your car is OBDII. Check the sticky on Northstar swaps at the top of the forum page.

???
The 95 SLS has a vin Y LD8 Northstar, he even states he wants to use a Vin Y

to the OP no you cannot use that engine

ponyboyt
08-07-10, 02:08 PM
To the OP:

What went wrong with your Northstar? If it's the headgasket issue, the various members of this forum have had a lousy track record with engine replacement as a fix - most have seen another failure within 20,000 miles.

You're better off fixing the one you have.

Just as a heads up, i had a thread going way back where i did a swap with that exact situation. My 97 had about 300,000 km's on it when the gaskets went, it just rolled 350,000 the other day. The engine came from a 95, but that 95 had had the engine replaced in '02 so the block had provisions for all those years. Oh and... it doesnt burn a drop of coolant. Burns lots of oil though!

Not to say this is the best route, i would much prefer the proper rebuild... but for what i paid i did ok. If its a nice low-k car its worth going the extra for a stud kit / timesert.

Ranger
08-07-10, 11:13 PM
???
The 95 SLS has a vin Y LD8 Northstar, he even states he wants to use a Vin Y

to the OP no you cannot use that engine
Oops! My apologies. I was thinking Deville. Thanks for the correction CadillacSTS42005. It is a Northstar, but the difference between OBDI and OBDII still applies.

CadillacSTS42005
08-08-10, 03:48 PM
Np just making sure we were on the same page haha. In 95 wasnt the N* and option and standard on the concourse then in 96 it became standard on the Deville correct?

Ranger
08-08-10, 06:04 PM
Not sure if it was even available in '95 in a Deville. Standard in the Concourse I think. I believe you are correct in that it became standard in '96.