: Installed front mount heat exchanger today!!

coach123
08-07-10, 02:02 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I had my front mount heat exchanger installed today inline with our stock heat exchanger. The additional heat exchanger increases the supercharger intercooler fluid capacity to over 2.4 quarts (or over 1/2 gallon). The new heat exchanger is made of all aluminum and takes up almost the entire lower grill of the car. It is one of the largest heat exchangers that I could find that would fit nicely in the lower grill area. The whole thing turned out fantastic. I will post pics tomorrow.

If you are interested in getting one of these let me know. The guy that put mine in had to make special mounting brackets for it but with them it is a direct bolt on modification. I believe he put together a how to instruction guide on installing it if anyone if really interested. I think he is going to get the heat exchangers fully bolt on ready for people if they want along with the instruction guide. I think he will sell this cooling mod fully bolt on ready for much cheaper than anything else on the market for our cars.

cad08stsv
08-07-10, 02:50 AM
Nice work Coach,
I like both of your projects (Heat exchanger and CAI) They both are a well thought out mod. If you get a little time could you PM me about the Blower set
up you did?
Thanks very much for all your dictated effort in this project. I am impressed.
Russell

bubba-v
08-07-10, 03:55 AM
Awesome, definitley looking forward to the pics. I went ahead and followed through with the methanol injection myself. What did you end up cranking out on the dyno after your blower was finished?

550HP STSV
08-07-10, 12:12 PM
Price?

PGA2B
08-07-10, 12:32 PM
Get pics up!!

Good Work. I am going to do a Perma-Cool 12318 or 2318 (without fan) to replace the factory and a larger one under the front bumper to increase capacity. I will be over a gallon of coolant when finished.

I have so many projects right now it's crazy. I am also going to be testing the stage one air intake prototype later next week. :thumbsup:

coach123
08-07-10, 01:59 PM
Here are some pics of my new front mounted heat exchanger

I made a mistake in my previous thread about the total fluid capacity of the intercooler fluid now that I have this new heat exchanger installed. The new heat exchanger holds a little over 2 qts in the end tanks adding that to the stock fluid capacity of 2.6 qts will yield right under 5 qts (or close to 1.2 gallons). I think the dimensions of the heat exchanger are 32x10x3 and it comes with 0.75" inlet and outlet. As far as cost I don't know exactly but I figure the guy will sell everything between $300-450 but don't quote me on that. You would have to give him a call.

PGA2B... Good luck with your current projects. I couldn't be happier with my new full CAI and front mount heat exchanger. The only items I have left on my list are headers and possible meth injection kit. I am not in a hurry to get these mods however so it may be a few months before I venture in that direction.

I looked into the heat exchanger you recommended by decided not to go that route due to a few reasons.
1. I didn't know the capacity of the heat exchanger but based on the picture it didn't look like it holds that much. I wanted a heat exchanger that would double as a nice size reservoir as well. No need to spend money twice.
2. I had heard that fans can hinder air flow at higher speeds. I believe wait4me as well as others had tested this out.
3. No one else in the supercharged or turbo world that I have seen or read uses these style heat exchanger. I don't know why everyone tends to use the front mount but I guess I just jumped on the band wagon and trusted that everyone else was doing the right thing.
4. I wanted to retain the stock heat exchanger. (I guess its warranty worries) My dealership was alright with me adding additional cooler but not okay with removing stock one. I'm not sure why but that was their stance, I made sure to ask ahead of time before doing the mod.

I think its great that everyone is doing mods and giving everyone options for additional performance gains at a much lower cost then what is out on the market. Everyone keep up the good work

coach123
08-07-10, 02:18 PM
Awesome, definitley looking forward to the pics. I went ahead and followed through with the methanol injection myself. What did you end up cranking out on the dyno after your blower was finished?

Did you tune for the meth injection (add in more timing)? What were the dyno results? Did you use a 50/50 blend or just use windshield washer fluid? What kit did you end up going with? Lots of questions.

Just my blower work yielded 420rwhp and 450rwtq on a dynojet (stock numbers where around 368rwhp and 375rwtq on same dyno). I had a few items holding my power gains back though that I have fixed now but I have not re-dynoed it yet. Here is a list of the issues:
1. restricted exhaust - muffler shop necked down my exhaust inlet to muffler to 2" instead of keeping 2.5" all the way back - fixed now (all mandrel bends 2.5")
2. used stock CAI - fixed now (full CAI all mandrel bends)
3. used stock cooling system - fixed now (upgraded front mount heat exchanger w/ over gallon fluid)
4. used very conservative timing of 14 or 15 degrees can't remember - still the same (needs to be increased with new cooling system but will wait until meth kit)
5. it was around 100F went dynoed, done in middle of summer day with over 70% humidty

I think I will see much better gains now especially if I re-tune it so it is not so conservative. I will probably re-tune and re-dyno again once I add a meth injection kit in a few months.

PGA2B
08-07-10, 05:15 PM
Coach,

I agree with your thoughts on added power. I bet you can add some timing and really wake her up!! I noticed a difference in just changing the exhaust. I am very excited about the Intake and once the stage 2 is ready it will be even better! I am still on the fence about the cooler with fans. I am waiting to talk to a few people about it. I may just get the core witout the fans. It is MUCH larger than the stock and my dealer is ok with me changing anything as long as I don't go internal to the engine (Cams, Heads, etc...).

Psycho-albanian
08-07-10, 08:49 PM
What kind of intercooler is this,i'm very interested.

bubba-v
08-08-10, 08:56 AM
Did you tune for the meth injection (add in more timing)? What were the dyno results? Did you use a 50/50 blend or just use windshield washer fluid? What kit did you end up going with? Lots of questions.

I havent really played around with it much yet I actually just got back in from road testing when I replied to your post. I definitley have more umph and in a shorter amount of time, but I did some polishing on the supercharger at the same time i put in the kit after you guys sparked my interest in the throttle body. Right now I am using a mix of windshield washer fluid spiked with heet, which is right around 50/50. I ended up going with the Snow Performance-gm maf setup and have it injecting in at the air intake T before the throttlebody with a solenoid. I have a wait4me tune on their now but do not have it tuned for the meth and will probably run it mostly for the cooling until Im done doing a little more to the car. In the end it was basically a toss up; I ended up picking snow over labonte as snow has updated their pumps and both systems are identical. The features i liked on the labonte were their touch screens S4 . If your going to mount the controller in the cabin Labonte's controller is neat. I also felt snow had better support and pricing If you get into something and have a question you can post it right on their forum and they will walk you through everything which is cool and you can buy snow parts from ebay or amazon or just about anywhere.
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/bubba-v/injectionpoint.jpg A helicoil is installed so you can just thread in a plug if you decide to remove the system. A solenoid should be installed as close to the nozzle as you can. its definitley worth the 400$ for the increased cooling and HP!

fast_lane10
08-08-10, 10:06 PM
Coach -

I think I saw a CAI thread from you but for some reason don't see it anymore. Did you take it down or it another of those threads which Mods didn't like.

Lavi

bubba-v
08-09-10, 03:39 AM
:bsflag: WTF.....that was one of the few useful threads on this forum.

PGA2B
08-09-10, 09:24 AM
I bet it was pulled because he mentioned a vendor that is not a sponsor of this forum.

cad08stsv
08-09-10, 11:51 AM
Good Morning,
I fail to understand what has happened to Coach 123. Why is he banned????????
He has provided information on products that are of value to all of us who have STSV. The only way to get the information out there is to memtion the
company who is making the part. Otherwise we are stuck with one provider and that creates a monopoly. If memory serve me right that is a voilation of
The Sherman Antitrust Act (Sherman Act,[1] July 2, 1890, ch. 647, 26 Stat. 209, 15 U.S.C. 1–7) requires the United States Federal government to investigate and pursue trusts, companies and organizations suspected of violating the Act. It was the first Federal statute to limit cartels and monopolies, and today still forms the basis for most antitrust litigation by the United States federal government. Further if such a ban, on free information given, is to encourage the protection of paid vendors on a public forum, can and should be considered a blatant act of anti-trust. I see no harm to either this forum or its vendors as a threat to the forums commerce. The afore mentioned member has a First Amenment right, to free speech. Please rescind this ban as it is unjust to the members of this forum, and to the member in question forthwith. Thank you for you immediate attention to this very important matter.
Respectfully.
Russell Youngblood

bubba-v
08-09-10, 12:46 PM
Well I guess for right now this forum is only for the products that D3 has for sale, which I guess is ok for D3 but not necessarily for the enthusiast coming together as a community trying to push the limits with our V's. I made a mistake in assuming that it was an STS-V discussion board and we could come together here to discuss our projects and share ideas. I like what D3 does so my recommendation to D3 is to start their own forum on their website, Like I said before its the main reason I bought snow performances products. Unfortunatley for this forum, Coach was the only one really independantley pushing through and showing step by step what he could get out of the motor and sharing the results. It's a mistake to block that kind of information from the community!

550HP STSV
08-09-10, 03:22 PM
As stated before: the mods have no recource should they ban someone. There is no one to complain to, no one checking their actions. They ban as they see fit. And once you're banned, thats it. No one will investigate why you were banned, no one will give a reason, and you're never coming back unless you make a new name. I have a few friends that contributed great information on the STS base model thread that were banned for no reason, and they decided to never come back. Its a shame, as they provided a ton of helpful information relating to this small production car.

550HP STSV
08-09-10, 03:23 PM
also DOES ANYONE HAVE COACH'S EMAIL? I'd like to contact him relating to some of the projects he did on here. Please make it available.

Florian
08-09-10, 03:57 PM
Coach got a 2 week ban for violating the TOS.....plain and simple. He was first warned, he then violated it again, and for that, was banned. It's very simple. Follow the forum rules that you all agreed to, or get some time on the sideline. Coach will be back...

F

cadillac94pimpin
08-09-10, 04:59 PM
Hey about that snow performance meth injection. I saw that one ebay for fairly cheap. Has anyone seen it?
It comes up when you search for sts-v under the parts section.

Take a look at the IMPALASSFORUM.COM they host group buys in the parts for sale/wanted section why cant we do that.

Florian
08-09-10, 07:25 PM
see Forum Vendors for GBs.

F

PGA2B
08-10-10, 09:23 AM
What about parts that no forum vendor makes?

cadillac94pimpin
08-10-10, 12:44 PM
Any other forums I have been on allow GB from anyone even a member.

It seems in order to sell things or organize a GB we will need to do it strctly by email or maybe in special code that only GB people know about ahahaha. Sounds retarted doesent it?

or maybe another forum.

This forum just wants a piece of the pie. If you got a STS-V and you want theese parts at a reduced cost you are getting a piece.

Florian
08-10-10, 03:53 PM
What about parts that no forum vendor makes?

whatever company that makes them or whichever forum member distributes them needs to become a vendor.

F

Florian
08-10-10, 03:56 PM
Any other forums I have been on allow GB from anyone even a member.

It seems in order to sell things or organize a GB we will need to do it strctly by email or maybe in special code that only GB people know about ahahaha. Sounds retarted doesent it?

or maybe another forum.

This forum just wants a piece of the pie. If you got a STS-V and you want theese parts at a reduced cost you are getting a piece.

we dont want a piece of any pie. Its simple, we offer a highly respected and visited venue and those that want to do business must pay the venue owner (us), no different than any other well respected venue. What dont you understand?

F

bubba-v
08-11-10, 12:47 AM
:wtf: Moderators :hijacked:, maybe you guys should have started a new thread a year down the road someone is going to be wondering about heat exchangers or cooling issues do a search on the forum and have to read through 2 pages of garbage.
:yup::leaving:

Florian
08-11-10, 01:03 PM
blame the whiners, not the guy that has to clean up the mess.

F

Florian
08-11-10, 01:03 PM
blame the whiners, not the guy that has to clean up the mess.

F