: Bring back the Fins .. and maybe some Dagmars too!

orconn
08-05-10, 05:48 PM
I don't think "Art and Technology" is really cutting it ... all in all too agricultural in shape for a luxury brand. What Cadillac needs is some distinctively beautiful cars in the next few years. Break out of the pack ... but in a more beautiful way. Modernize the '57 Cadillac's look, and bring back the Coupe de Ville. A new Eldorado would be nice along the lines of 1967. What ever they do get rid of the "Cow Catcher" grill. And warm up the interiors. It can all be done within the parameters of modern design necessities.

Let's face it there wouldn't be much competition from Europe ot the Far East right now. So give tose who can afford it, what they really want a beautiful, high quality car with decent performance.

ga_etc
08-05-10, 06:03 PM
At least with the A&S theme they give heritage a nod with the light bars, styling, and such with the new cars tail/brake lights. I fear the days of large over the top opulent Cadillacs are gone. It would be interesting to see them do a low volume "test run" production car, that is retro themed. It would be a good way to gauge public interest in modern large luxury car. A little Art & Science and little of the ostentation from the late '50s could go a long way.

Bro-Ham
08-05-10, 07:01 PM
If you feared making cars the old fashioned way was kaput then how did the Camaro happen? The Mustang? Challenger? Rolls-Royce Phantom? With Cadillac under the control of government motors I hope something can happen for classic, unabashed, over the top, and all-American cars to be made again, once the regime is ousted. The current model line is not my cup of tea and I don't think there are many devotees to the brand, with the exception of the few and the proud in the V camp. The rebirth of great Cadillacs can and should happen. The sooner the better. :)

77CDV
08-05-10, 07:05 PM
Fins and Dagmars are relics of another design era. Heck, they were unfashionable 50 years ago. They look great on cars of the era, but would look cartoonish on a modern car. But I agree that if Cadillac could find a way to update the styling of the mid to late 1960s without it being a blatant copy, a very nice large cruiser would be possible. A choice of more than black, grey, or tan for the interior would also be nice. Cloth choices in addition to leather would be even better.

Bro-Ham
08-05-10, 09:00 PM
There is so much to say on this topic...all of us could dream up some fabulously magnificent Cadillacs. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-05-10, 09:38 PM
While not a big fan of the early A&S designs, I found them to be too sharp and "rude", the second generation A&S design school looks much better. The 08 CTS spearheaded this movement, but the new SRX, Escalade follow the trend. It's not as sharp as the first generations, but it looks much more elegant and rich. I have an idea they'll look better (less dated) in 20 years than the first of the A&S cars.

Between the A&S Cadillacs and '90s Cadilacs, I myself prefer the '90s style Cadillacs, with soft, compound angles and large flat planes, but the A&S designs really brought the brand onto the import buyers radar and shot sales through the roof.

If you tried to bring back the '50s fins and dagmars, it'd look really out of place today. Would it work? Maybe, who knows. The Challenger is a great throwback design, but it's original design is from an era when the designs weren't as outlandish as they were in the '50s. Anyways, what I'm trying to get it as that I don't think it'd work well in modern times.

But....if you took something a little less dated, but still beautiful, maybe like a '67 Eldorado as a starting point and modernized that a bit....then I think it'd sell real well.

Bro-Ham
08-05-10, 10:41 PM
Chad, I agree, the 67 Eldo has sex appeal and is a modern classic. As I like to fantasize about a real Cadillac: long, low, and lovely. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-05-10, 10:44 PM
In a perfect world, we'd see a return and modernization of the trifecta:
1966 Riviera
1966 Toronado
1967 Eldorado

Bro-Ham
08-05-10, 11:40 PM
The 63 Riv is classier than a 66, the 66 Toro wouldn't fly, and the 67 Eldo would be a hit like the Camaro.

ga_etc
08-06-10, 06:43 AM
If you feared making cars the old fashioned way was kaput then how did the Camaro happen? The Mustang? Challenger? Rolls-Royce Phantom? With Cadillac under the control of government motors I hope something can happen for classic, unabashed, over the top, and all-American cars to be made again, once the regime is ousted. The current model line is not my cup of tea and I don't think there are many devotees to the brand, with the exception of the few and the proud in the V camp. The rebirth of great Cadillacs can and should happen. The sooner the better. :)

I wasn't just talking about a retro themed Cadillac. I was talking about the days when a Deville or Fleetwood weighed nearly 6,000 pounds and had enough chrome on them to weigh down a battleship. Cadillac certainly has enough design heritage to draw from to come up with a truly spectacular retro car. However, the days of cars dripping with fresh glittering chrome and mile-high fins are gone. CAFE standards and the green movement have made sure of that.

mhamilton
08-06-10, 11:04 AM
Ooh, a Coupe deVille, that would be nice. I would settle for a 2 door STS, even. I was at Hendrick Auto Mall (formerly Chevrolet) in Durham the other day, they had a CTS coupe in the showroom. I had it in my mind that those were going to be something like a replacement for the Eldorado. Far from that, with their rear end treatment. Reminds me of the Crossfire and those other recent cars. I don't quite get that high rear-end styling, not my cup of tea.

GM definitely needs to do something about the new interiors. I was looking at a late model STS, because I do like the new features the cars have (heated steering, adaptive cruise, etc), the exteriors are pretty good. But those darn cheap looking interiors. I don't know how they got so bad since the '03 generation. The dash itself looks like something out of a Malibu, just looks wrong in a Cadillac.

Bro-Ham
08-06-10, 12:04 PM
I wasn't just talking about a retro themed Cadillac. I was talking about the days when a Deville or Fleetwood weighed nearly 6,000 pounds and had enough chrome on them to weigh down a battleship. Cadillac certainly has enough design heritage to draw from to come up with a truly spectacular retro car. However, the days of cars dripping with fresh glittering chrome and mile-high fins are gone. CAFE standards and the green movement have made sure of that.

Just as the green movement and cafe standards happened they can also unhappen, with the strong will of the people who I think are thirsting for some symbols of American greatness again. A Cadillac with traditioinal Cadillac-ness can only lead the way for this renaissance. :)

ga_etc
08-06-10, 12:26 PM
I would be among the ones who would love to see a new wave of great American iron. Especially with a Wreath and Crest affixed to it. The sad part is that with the state of the world right now (fuel costs, low wages, high unemployment...) people are much more likely to just make due with their boring little Kia and it's 30mpg city than pop for a new Cadillac that gets 20mpg city.

orconn
08-06-10, 01:36 PM
The state of the world right now? There are still more than enough folks in the world who can afford an attractive luxury car that supplies great styling, high quality and good performance. Cadillac has the opportunity to once again show the world just such a car. With all the gadgets and other crampola coming out of Europe and the Far East, Cadillac could design and build a luxury sedan or coupe that would be far more attractive than
what is currently being offered. And with all the design advantages and experience available to Detroit they should still be able to do this at a reasonable (for a luxury car today) cost. When considering the Far East market (China is the fastest growing car market in the world) ultimate high speed (like Autobahn velocities) is not such a big selling point, because the roads and traffic cannot begin to handle high speed traffic. Luxury appointments, style and crash survivability are much bigger issues in selling in these markets. Cadillac and Buick already hold some prestige in these markets so they should try to build something for the upper end .... and then sell it in the U.S. market. The extended wheel base and more luxurious SLS was on the right track, but needs better styling.

Buick should be the one to take care of the traditional senior citizen luxury new car market in the U.S.. Cadillac should concentrate on the true luxury narket, which let's face it, with their shrunken asset portfolios and the low capital yields that most seniors have experienced, can no longer afford.