: check this out !!!

Jeremy59
08-04-10, 08:04 PM
so i got my caddy inspected today.. they plugged it in and the VIN number and the computer told the guy my car was a 4.6 v8 and thats not the case i have a v6. I asked him did he have a typo and he said know that the computer on my car told his machine everything when they plugged it up..... I know i drive it like a v8 and try and mod it out like a 8... but is still a 6, 6 plugs lol.... what should i do? either the car reallyt thinks itself is a v8 or somethings wrong.... the only good side to this is if somone hits my car and totals it i will gt more money from insurance hah but i cant see the future... any1 else had this happen :thumbsup:

CadillacSTS42005
08-04-10, 09:20 PM
Inspection machine brings up base information its then the inspectors job to verify the information before sending it to the DMV.
Your inspector is an idiot. period.

Jeremy59
08-04-10, 09:25 PM
lol im guessn the same thing, but he did let me slide with my tint and blacked out tail lights haha

dkozloski
08-04-10, 09:32 PM
The eighth digit of the VIN# indicates the engine type. A "7" indicates a six, an "A" indicates a 4.6L V-8, A "D" indicates a 4.4L V-8. If you have anything other than a "7" as the eighth digit of the VIN# your car is hot and somebody has been over the VIN# with a running iron. If that's the case your local law enforcement knows the location of the hidden VIN numbers stamped on the underbody and they can tell you what the VIN# really is and who really owns your car.

dkozloski
08-05-10, 12:49 PM
The silence is deafening.

kschwed
08-05-10, 02:23 PM
The eighth digit of the VIN# indicates the engine type. A "7" indicates a six, an "A" indicates a 4.6L V-8, A "D" indicates a 4.4L V-8. If you have anything other than a "7" as the eighth digit of the VIN# your car is hot and somebody has been over the VIN# with a running iron. If that's the case your local law enforcement knows the location of the hidden VIN numbers stamped on the underbody and they can tell you what the VIN# really is and who really owns your car.

He's right. Sometimes the windows or door panels will have a VIN on them too. They're strategically placed all over the vehicle. I heard about a range rover with some dozen different VINs on it so they couldnt find out exactly which one it was. Hah.

Although, on second thought, I realized they scan the bar code below the actual vin. This implies that someone didnt change the vin, they changed the metal plate that has the vin and bar code. Your car might be stolen.

dkozloski
08-05-10, 03:14 PM
Federal law requires the VIN to be at least seven different places on the car, some of them hidden and known only to authorized law enforcement. A common dodge by professional thieves is to get clean paperwork from a junkyard car and transfer it to a stolen car along with the most visible VIN plates. Only a close examination of the vehicle in question would out them.

Jeremy59
08-05-10, 03:42 PM
well i bought the car from the cadillac dealership and have the title in hand. Does that mean it could still be stolen? The vin number matches the one on the title. I bought it used and it was a lease car when i bought it. It had about 40,000 miles

dkozloski
08-05-10, 04:24 PM
What's the eighth digit of the VIN# ? That'll tell you what engine the car with that VIN# left the factory with. If it's a 7 the problem is with the inspection station. If it's something else it's time to contact the state troopers.

next2pool
08-05-10, 04:58 PM
Enter your vin at this site and see if it reflects your car:

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=1g6dw677160160762

dkozloski
08-06-10, 06:30 PM
Anybody know how this turned out?

BrandonW
08-07-10, 03:31 AM
Enter your vin at this site and see if it reflects your car:

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=1g6dw677160160762

Is this proper or would there be any differneces with actually getting the caddy inspected?

EChas3
08-07-10, 05:53 PM
If your car turns out to be stolen, the police take the car and you're SOL.

It's like the bank finding counterfeit bills in your deposit. They don't replace them. You lose.

KRSTS
08-07-10, 07:18 PM
You do have recourse. I would get a good lawyer and sue the crap out of the dealer!

dkozloski
08-08-10, 06:55 AM
A head salesman at a local dealer had a little different scam going. He borrowed between a quarter and a half million dollars against titles he got from a local wrecking yard from wrecked cars that didn't exist any more. He got eleven years in the can. Now the finance companies want pictures of cars they loan money on.

kschwed
08-09-10, 02:12 PM
A head salesman at a local dealer had a little different scam going. He borrowed between a quarter and a half million dollars against titles he got from a local wrecking yard from wrecked cars that didn't exist any more. He got eleven years in the can. Now the finance companies want pictures of cars they loan money on.

That wouldnt even work long term. Even if he got away with it, at some point he would be expected to pay the loans back.

dkozloski
08-09-10, 03:53 PM
That wouldnt even work long term. Even if he got away with it, at some point he would be expected to pay the loans back.

He was trying to keep another business going but it all imploded.

next2pool
08-09-10, 03:59 PM
Is this proper or would there be any differneces with actually getting the caddy inspected?

It's a way to run your VIN and see if the description is indeed the car you have based on the colors and options

kschwed
08-09-10, 05:12 PM
He was trying to keep another business going but it all imploded.

Go figure.

next2pool
08-09-10, 07:58 PM

What I would do is run your VIN on that site and see if all of the options and colors match your car. If it does, then everything is probably legit. People already have you assuming you have a stolen car!

EChas3
08-09-10, 10:11 PM
:thumbsup:
What I would do is run your VIN on that site and see if all of the options and colors match your car. If it does, then everything is probably legit.