: USB to Charge Cell Phone Interrupts Radio

Cad96k
08-04-10, 12:35 PM
I recently used the USB port to charge my cell phone (Sony W600i). However, every 2 or 3 minutes the XM radio is interrupted and I get a message that says something like, "safe to disconnect hardware, DONE". A few seconds later the message goes away and it returns to XM.

All I want is for the cell phone to be on and charging without the sound system thinking there is an AUX device to be removed.

I don't have a proper car charger for this phone so I want to be able to use the USB port, and it would also be handy to charge other devices.

Can anyone suggest a fix, or is this just the way it is?

coachk
08-04-10, 02:33 PM
I charge my smartphone (Droid Incredible) through the USB port on my 2010 SRX with no problems at all. BUT ...the phone asks me if I want to "only charge" or "use as a USB drive". I think the USB port is looking to "play" something, but my specific phone settings tell it not to do so.

My guess is that there is not a fix with that phone

Cad96k
08-05-10, 12:34 PM
Thanks coachk, you've answered my question; it must be a phone-specific issue. Are you able to "only charge" AND have the cellphone active to make and receive calls through the bluetooth?

jcarlilesiu
08-05-10, 04:58 PM
I have the HTC droid incredible as well.

When I have it plugged into the USB, I select "Charge Only", then I hook it up to the aux input so that I can listen to Pandora Internet Radio. When the phone rings, the phone stops the music, and then sends the call through bluetooth. When the call completes, pandora starts back up.

I could just let it charge and listen to the radio if I want to.

MReiland
08-10-10, 06:39 AM
Perhaps something like this too if you can't get it figured out, however the cost of a 12v charger may be similar

http://www.amazon.com/CABLES-UNLIMITED-ZIP-PWR-DCM-Ziplinq-Adapter/dp/B003G5DA1W

sube5186
08-10-10, 10:20 AM
Cad96k,

MReiland is correct. That will fool any cell phone into thinking it's connected via a regular 12V outlet. Also, it frees up the USB port for a thumbdrive, adding an additional 32Gb of music storage. Here's an even cheaper one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USB-Car-Charger-Adapter-Mp3-Cellphpne-Ipod-Nano-/110542514365?pt=Car_Audio_Video

Sube