: Anybody tried connecting an Ipad to the SRX?

TexasStation
08-03-10, 01:29 PM
I got a message on the iPad that said "This device is not supported on the iPad"
It came up as soon as I connected it to the SRX via USB.
I made sure the iPod app on the iPad was running, but still got the message.
Is the SRX connectivity truly not supported, or am I missing something?

stevec5375
08-03-10, 06:15 PM
Why do you think the iPad should be able to be connected to the SRX?

TheCaptain
08-04-10, 10:04 AM
Because, isn't the ipad a bigger glorified itouch/pod?

TexasStation
08-04-10, 12:33 PM
The iPad does have an iPod app, but I'm getting the feeling it won't work with the car.

MacMuse
08-05-10, 12:26 PM
That message usually means that the iPad won't charge properly when connected. Take a look at the upper right corner on the iPad when it's connected to the SRX. Does the battery/power indicator also say 'Not Charging'? The iPad wants more power than previous iPod/iPhone products. On my chargers that report 'not charging' the iPad usually holds its current charge level unless I'm doing heavy usage like large file downloads (app installs, video streaming).

RightTurn
10-25-10, 06:12 PM
OK, has anyone gotten the IPad to connect?

sube5186
10-25-10, 07:14 PM
I'm trying to connect a desktop computer, a 46" HDTV and my Whirlpool washing machine to my SRX and I can't seem to get them to work either. :banghead: Stupid car!

Sube

RippyPartsDept
10-25-10, 07:26 PM
I'm trying to connect a desktop computer, a 46" HDTV and my Whirlpool washing machine to my SRX and I can't seem to get them to work either. :banghead: Stupid car!

hmmm... worked for me just the other day....

RightTurn
10-25-10, 10:36 PM

Sube

What's your point? Don't you realize the IPad has IPod music function? :tard:

RippyPartsDept
10-25-10, 11:25 PM
if they were the same then wouldn't it just work?
apple has to update the ipad to work with the nav system... same thing they had to do with the iphone to get it to work with navs that only worked with ipods

i would suggest checking the apple support forums for threads about what the ipad can and cannot connect with

sube5186
10-25-10, 11:51 PM
What's your point? Don't you realize the IPad has IPod music function? :tard:

Yes, I realize that. The point I was trying to make is that just because the SRX has a USB input doesn't mean that ANYTHING with a USB plug should work. The SRX is only designed to integrate with a limited number of devices. It doesn't even work with all iPods. Why in God's name would you think it should work with an iPad.

Not sure why anyone would want to connect a big, bulky iPad to the USB port when you can achieve the same end result using a simple, small convenient thumbdrive.

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-69/usb-radio-uui-device-compatibility-09-08-44-013a-206006/

Sube

RightTurn
10-26-10, 12:28 PM
Just because YOU "can't imagine why" doesn't mean that others aren't interested. If you have no interest, skip this thread and take your washing machine elsewhere. Why the hell would I want to use a thumb drive when I already have all my music on my IPad? Thanks for your input, but if you can't answer the question then skip it. :bigroll:

Oh, and FYI...I don't invoke God's name in reference to my Ipad.

sube5186
10-26-10, 12:59 PM
Just because YOU "can't imagine why" doesn't mean that others aren't interested. If you have no interest, skip this thread and take your washing machine elsewhere. Why the hell would I want to use a thumb drive when I already have all my music on my IPad? Thanks for your input, but if you can't answer the question then skip it. :bigroll:

Oh, and FYI...I don't invoke God's name in reference to my Ipad.

I would expect that from you, RT. You're such a whiner. :crying: I was merely trying to interject some humor to prove a point. But of course, as usual you're so damned sensitive. I'll drop off my washing machine, sewing machine and refrigerator at your house in the morning. Maybe you can hook those up to your car as well. I think you already know what you can do with your iPad. :want:

Go ahead and respond. We both know you ALWAYS have to have the last word. :annoyed:

Sube

RippyPartsDept
10-26-10, 05:41 PM
ok guys.... FIGHT
http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.posterous.com/heathbar/gwR1lzbCUNR8G7tt99XCKKixMwvmmjq3rcbSGSJoG5O0TIA5Sw m86ZahcuAS/sketch-fight.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=1C9REJR1EMRZ83Q7QRG2&Expires=1288128851&Signature=xy2ZZaTaAeoo1DfTOZrOeS7MolE%3D

but seriously...
isn't all your music on your PC (or Mac) too?
and isn't it fairly easy to just copy all you would want over to a usb key or small hard drive?
and wouldn't either one of those digital storage options fit much more nicely inside the compartment than an iPad would?

maybe you'd be happier with something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSnIXfoSU6I
via Sound Man Car Audio (http://www.soundmancaraudio.com/home/category/ipad-build)

sube5186
10-26-10, 05:50 PM
Isn't all your music on your PC (or Mac) too?
and isn't it fairly easy to just copy all you would want over to a usb key or small hard drive?
and wouldn't either one of those digital storage options fit much more nicely inside the compartment than an iPad would?

Exactly! :yup:

Maybe you'd be happier with something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSnIXfoSU6I
via Sound Man Car Audio (http://www.soundmancaraudio.com/home/category/ipad-build)

LMAO!!! :histeric: Now that's funny.

Sube

stevec5375
10-26-10, 06:28 PM
And you think texting while driving is dangerous?

TheCaptain
10-27-10, 12:31 AM
Sube, what are you doing on Cobalt SS.net? That's a forum for us young guns that like to drive around at high speeds and pile our new car, that mom and dad bought, into a tree! lol :rofl:

RightTurn
10-27-10, 01:13 AM
I would expect that from you, RT. You're such a whiner. :crying: I was merely trying to interject some humor to prove a point. But of course, as usual you're so damned sensitive. I'll drop off my washing machine, sewing machine and refrigerator at your house in the morning. Maybe you can hook those up to your car as well. I think you already know what you can do with your iPad. :want:

Go ahead and respond. We both know you ALWAYS have to have the last word. :annoyed:

Sube

"As usual?" I don't know what you're talking about since I hardly post on this board. I wouldn't want to horn in on your little kingdom, oh self-appointed authority on all matters. How mature that you resort to name calling. :thumbsup:

RightTurn
10-27-10, 01:14 AM
And you think texting while driving is dangerous?

So. You have difficulty listening to music while driving? Somehow I'm not surprised.

GMJim
10-27-10, 06:16 AM
Congrats forum. You have converted two nice members Sube & Right Turn, into bickering, hostile, mean, members. You should really work on Captain now. He is waaaaaay too nice. Then see what you can do about ewill3rd. He knows waaaaaay too much, and needs to be knocked down a few notches.

This place sucks.

RippyPartsDept
10-27-10, 09:11 AM
you're welcome... i tried my best... i'll get to work on the others quick-like :sneaky:

but seriously... is the forum really to blame?

poor forum... come over here... i'll comfort you

sube5186
10-27-10, 09:31 AM
Sube, what are you doing on Cobalt SS.net? That's a forum for us young guns that like to drive around at high speeds and pile our new car, that mom and dad bought, into a tree! lol :rofl:

Capt, actually I've never been on that forum before. I have a PDF of that doc, but it's too large to post, so I went looking for the original link. Couldn't find it, but I did find that one. You can relax. I won't be driving my X at high speeds. :banana: ;)

Sube

sube5186
10-27-10, 09:38 AM
Congrats forum. You have converted two nice members Sube & Right Turn, into bickering, hostile, mean, members. You should really work on Captain now. He is waaaaaay too nice. Then see what you can do about ewill3rd. He knows waaaaaay too much, and needs to be knocked down a few notches.

This place sucks.

Nope. The forum hasn't changed me one bit. It's just RT. She and I have been butting heads since the early days. I think she secretly loves me and just doesn't know how to express it. :yup: You know, like you did in grade school.

Sube

OffThaHorseCEO
10-27-10, 10:31 AM
see the thing about an ipad is the show-off factor.

just about everyone who bought an ipad bought it to flash it so people could say "oh wow you have an ipad can i touch it blah blah blah."

everyone has an ipod, everyone and their grandma has a usb stick. not everyone has an ipad connected to their SRX. so, its not about the music or where the music is stored, its about saying "hey look how cool i am because i have an ipad, and its connected to my srx"

heres the part where everyone who is trying to do this accuses me of not being able to afford apple products and defends their product with statements such as "it just work" "its just more convenient" "its user friendly" etc etc. i may as well have offended their mother

RippyPartsDept
10-27-10, 11:18 AM
no, when you strike that nerve it's worse than offending their mother

PJ1520
10-27-10, 12:06 PM
As if the automotive industry hasn't installed enough on board gadgetry in vehicles to further distract drivers, we need to add more?

I don't have a problem with people who choose to or need to enhance the functionality and the pleasure they can derive from their vehicle, as long as they do it safely. I do have a real problem when the line has been crossed and the increased driver distraction factor comes into play. That line has already been crossed long ago and the trend continues in the wrong, lethal direction......when someone's personal choices supercede (in their own mind) my safety, that of my family, and that of those whom I care about.

RT.........you very well may cue up before your vehicle leaves the curb and then turn your full attention to driving while the car is in motion, pulling over when the need arises to make some changes. That probably puts you in the minority. Or you may very well be the opposite, the mainstrean who figure multitasking while driving is a harmless distraction, or no distraction at all. That probably puts you in the majority, sadly.

I currently drive about 18,000 miles a year and am totally fed up with distracted drivers. Am I supposed to be responsible not only for my own driving habits but also for the rising tide of callous drivers who choose to be doing everything in their vehicle OTHER THAN safely pilot their vehicles? Vehicles.....nope. 4,300 pound weapons is a more precise description.

If any of the posters in this forum take the position that this thread's discourse has an element of taking the sublime to the ridiculous, I have to agree. If any posters suggest the distraction factor, like adding yet another piece of unnecessary hardware to a vehicle, I have to agree. But to suggest these posters should take their comments elsewhere is an insult to me. This is a public forum, and my voice is no more or less important than anyone elses'.

Maybe when some of the posters have a wife, children, and grandchildren on board whom they love but find themselves and their family popped by a distracted driver who can't simply hold a lane, their speed, or see a slowing vehicle right under their freakin' nose (happened to me 2 years ago), the light bulb will go off.

Maybe when their vehicle gets crunched in a parking lot by a distracted driver driving 2 mph but who feels compelled to monkey with the gadgets rather than safely pilot their vehicle, the light bulb will go off (happened to me twice in the past 5 months with the SRX).

Or maybe when they lose a close friend (as I have in 2009....wife, mother, and grandmother) who gets run over while standing by the side of the road by a 30-something, distracted driver who couldn't safely negotiate a straight, 75 yard, 25mph stretch 4 of lane road in broad daylight while screwing with technology which was more important to him than the safety of others, the light bulb will go off. A manslaughter/vehicular homicide charge is all the latter got, but it won't bring my friend back and has terribly altered for the worse many lives, mine included.

Yup, too many amongst us keep on believing we can handle the multitasking distractions better than the next person. Statistics and controlled studies continue to prove us wrong, dead wrong in too many instances. But we ignore them. It won't happen to us.

So for me this simple thread of adding an Ipad to the SRX takes on a lot more than a discussion of compatibility, fun, functionality, and entertainment. Post what you will, but don't presume to tell me to take my opinions elsewhere if I don't like where the thread is going.

PJ

TheCaptain
10-27-10, 12:40 PM
Beside's you guys... ipad is a thing of the past anyway. Blackberry Playbook is where its at! Coming soon! Hello Ipad killer! :D

Blackberry Playbook! (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/playbook-tablet/?CPID=KNC-kw286651_p7&HBX_PK=rim|63482d28-681c-3148-1a32-00005ce96864)

It has dual HD vid cams for HD Vid conferencing, provided you have internet connection. You guys got to get on the bus!

Get one of these RT! ;) I sure am, even though i said i hate blackberry's. (Unless Motorola can get a Droid like tablet out soon too!)

RippyPartsDept
10-27-10, 12:42 PM
^^ :histeric:

seriously though, there's android tablets at best buy nowadays, fyi

and for those who like cheap trendy electronics there will be a $99 android tablet at a wallgreens (http://www.slipperybrick.com/2010/10/walgreens-sells-android-tablet-for-99/) near you this holiday season
http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/maylong-m150.jpg

Born Loser
01-05-11, 04:40 PM
I connect my Ipad via the bluetooth. Works just like the Itouch.

OffThaHorseCEO
05-31-11, 07:07 PM
Beside's you guys... ipad is a thing of the past anyway. Blackberry Playbook is where its at! Coming soon! Hello Ipad killer! :D

Blackberry Playbook! (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/playbook-tablet/?CPID=KNC-kw286651_p7&HBX_PK=rim|63482d28-681c-3148-1a32-00005ce96864)

It has dual HD vid cams for HD Vid conferencing, provided you have internet connection. You guys got to get on the bus!

Get one of these RT! ;) I sure am, even though i said i hate blackberry's. (Unless Motorola can get a Droid like tablet out soon too!)

hey sweet i didnt even see this post. did you get one? i did im gonna mount it in my allante!

algiorda
06-01-11, 07:17 AM
Geez, I'm afraid to even ask if you can plug an external hard disk with my music collection into the SRX USB drive. I might bring down the wrath of the whole forum on me.

Seriously, what is the difference between a thumb drive, hard disk, and an iPad? They are all storage units and should work equally. If the iPad is not recognized as a storage unit, then there must be something in the iPad blocking the connection and it's usually the power charging system. I've seen this with the iPad and other mp3 players. Even though they have USB jacks, they will not charge because they are expecting more milliamperes through the USB.

TheCaptain
06-01-11, 01:13 PM
hey sweet i didnt even see this post. did you get one? i did im gonna mount it in my allante!

I haven't yet. I have a few other larger purchases that are taking up a bit more resources right now. I hope to have one by the end of the year though!

Smokin' SRX
06-01-11, 10:55 PM
Welcome BL, to our Forum. we have very nice and extremely helpful members here, but sometimes the pot boils over a little. But make no mistake, any one of us would jump into the fire to help another member, if it came down to it. So stay tuned......

TexasStation and rest, as for the Ipad or any computer on the dash, I also think that most folks lack the disciplin to drive safely with it onboard. I am firmly against such distractions up front and hope more laws are passed to stop them from working, while in motion. Sure some will invest in the tech to bypass such restrictions, but the less-wise, younger, naive drivers life (or mine!) may be spared. And don't ever get in an serious accident while using one. The CIVIL liability will backrupt you.

I am a recovering techno junkie and use it in my work every day, but gotta let yas know, I'm worried more than ever when I get on the road these days. PJ1520's story is so sad. Sorry pal, for your loss. Technology always will be a 2 edged sword. I value you all.

Peace. Thx for listening.

SS

AVBobby
08-06-11, 02:36 PM
I have used the iPad app to start the car; it's a 2011 SRX. What I would like to know is, does anyone know how to reset the measurement values from metric to Imperial. FYI, the app is terrific, but GM needs to open it for cars built before 2011. Thanks, all.

RippyPartsDept
08-06-11, 03:04 PM
i think gm officially supports 2010 models and has said they will get it working for 2009 as well (and maybe 2008, i can't remember)...
but that's probably as far back as they will go
the onstar hardware changed around then and i don't think it's either technically possible and/or financially prudent for them to do more than that

mm9351
08-07-11, 10:03 AM
I have used the iPad app to start the car; it's a 2011 SRX. What I would like to know is, does anyone know how to reset the measurement values from metric to Imperial. FYI, the app is terrific, but GM needs to open it for cars built before 2011. Thanks, all.

If you set the instrument cluster to US units, the ipad app should follow on the next sync. The app has been recently updated to RemoteLink version 1.2(349); it was fomerly called MyLink. Try upgrading if you haven't already done this. There is no setting within RemoteLink to change units. Hope this helps!