: How does Onstar explain this?

bobhoff
08-03-10, 09:06 AM
http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/insurance/cadillac-escalade-tops-ranking-for-insurance-theft-losses/19578796/

cbeeches
08-03-10, 09:22 AM
Probably they don't pay for Onstar.

Smokin' SRX
08-03-10, 10:19 AM
Did u see adjacent article re: New Black Boxes?? They will soon know if u were watching video on the front dash! And more.............

You can bet the the Ins Co. are not gonna pay claims to folks who do
this. See the slightly previous "DVD in Motion" thread for those who want/do this. Good discussion.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/11/report-intel-developing-new-automotive-black-box

The Tony Show
08-03-10, 05:48 PM
OnStar can assist the police in finding the vehicle, but they can't prevent it from being stolen. The article mentions nothing about whether the vehicle was recovered or not, only how often they were stolen.

stevec5375
08-03-10, 07:14 PM
Did u see adjacent article re: New Black Boxes?? They will soon know if u were watching video on the front dash! And more.............

You can bet the the Ins Co. are not gonna pay claims to folks who do
this. See the slightly previous "DVD in Motion" thread for those who want/do this. Good discussion.

Bravo! Personal responsibility seems to be out the window these days with a lot of folks. So if big brother needs to keep an eye out to keep my insurance rates down, so be it. I already have a gadget that plugs into my diagnostic port that sends my driving data to my insurance co. It has already resulted in my rate being lowered on my motorcycle even though it doesn't have that gadget. I'll be curious to see what my car rate does next May. Based on the stats I'm seeing, I should get a rate reduction.

The thought of a driver going down the road watching a video on that screen is just mind boggling. Why is it that so many think they are "immune" to distraction when there are ample stats to prove otherwise?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/11/report-intel-developing-new-automotive-black-box[/QUOTE]

sube5186
08-06-10, 11:06 PM
Your SRX already has an EDR (Event Data Recorder). It's mentioned on page 12-18. This info can be subpoenaed by police for criminal prosecution and/or by lawyers in civil suits.

"GM will not access this data or
share it with others except: in response
to an official request of police or
similar government office, or as
required by law."

Sube

PJ1520
08-08-10, 11:00 AM
I wonder how much data and what data is stored, and for how long. EDR is one thing, and I know this info has already been used for a few years in accident reconstruction investigations. I have a disobedient right foot and sure would like to know if this "available info" extends beyond "last" or contains more than just that.

Superjim
08-08-10, 11:37 AM
My understanding of the EDR is that it stores the last 4 seconds of "DATA".. ie... braking, acceleration, etc.

sube5186
08-08-10, 12:48 PM
From the SRX manual:

The EDR is designed to record data
related to vehicle dynamics and
safety systems for a short period of
time, typically 30 seconds or less.
The EDR in this vehicle is designed
to record such data as:

. How various systems in your
vehicle were operating

. Whether or not the driver and