: Transmission Help Please

sts_meyers
08-02-10, 10:36 PM
Hello, I'm new to posting here, but have been reading for a while now. Several months ago I purchased a 2005 STS and LOVE this ride! Up til this last weekendit ran great with a little "chuggle" from the transmission around 30-40 MPH. I figured it was the TC locking in the "overdrive". This last weekend I went on a 5 hour one way road trip with no problems until I got back home. About the time I pulled into the subdivision after stopping at a stop sign, I tried to take off and only heard the engine rev up. No forward movement to speak of. It was a very hot day. 100+ outside. Any ideas would be appreciated.

David

CadillacSTS42005
08-02-10, 11:06 PM
Sounded at 1st like the common torque converter problem, but now it sounds like you dropped the tranny...
Does it move now?

sts_meyers
08-02-10, 11:28 PM
Thank you for the reply. If I crank it from cold, then it seems to start off just fine. But after about 2 to 3 miles, it won't hardly start from a stop sign. I though it might just be low on fluid so I thought I woud check that. I had a hell of a time loosening the plug from the side of the tranny to check the fluid level. I never pulled the plug out. As I started removing it with the vehicle level and running, I was starting to get fluid coming out around the oring so I just screwed it back in.

sts_meyers
08-02-10, 11:37 PM
I have been able to lemp it back to the house so far after it screws up. I just pulse the gas pedal until I get a little speed up. Seems like once I get it moving a certain speed, it maintains with little effort. Just though I should add that.

SlickCityStan
08-03-10, 12:10 PM
you need to have your car towed to a transmission shop or the dealer. Every time you drive you are only doing more damage to the trans and/or the torque converter. there is no easy DIY fix for this trans. Do you have any kind of warranty? P.S. PLEASE DON'T climb under your car while its running: that is a recipe for disaster!!!

CadillacSTS42005
08-03-10, 12:31 PM
Sounds like the tranny ate it, an SRX owner had something very similar happen...
Id call your dealer.
Did the fulid look brown or smell burnt?

KJONES-06STS
08-03-10, 06:49 PM
I have been able to lemp it back to the house so far after it screws up. I just pulse the gas pedal until I get a little speed up. Seems like once I get it moving a certain speed, it maintains with little effort. Just though I should add that.

Well David, this is what happened to me, my 06 sts has had the open recall for rear diff leak repaired. I had the same exact chuggle and the torque converter was replaced at 52000 mi, then at 64000 mi the car would not go into rev, took it to dealer jul5. They 1st said $99 for diagnostics, the called back an hour later and said they would have to charge $595 to pull tranny just to tell me what the problem was. Few days later called and said that rev flywheel, piston damaged and that repair would be $5000 (not under warranty) I made some calls to tranny shop and they said that they could do the repair for $2400, I then called back to dealer and told the that I didnt want them to repair it and I was sending a tow to take it elsewhere, they iformed me that they had ordered a remanufactured tranny and I would have to pay $835 restocking fee. Well I told them that I had not authorized them to order the tranny so they could talk to my attorney. Next day, service dept call me and said the tranny had come in and that they started repairs. needless to say I expressed my displeasure with some unprintables. as it stands now bill came to $4056. I am getting my car tomorrow and then checking to see what kind of recourse I have. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I wish u luck sounds like u might be in the same boat I just sank in

KRSTS
08-03-10, 07:52 PM
This is exactly why you do not want to own one these without a warranty:tisk:

M.A.C
08-03-10, 09:26 PM
Well David, this is what happened to me, my 06 sts has had the open recall for rear diff leak repaired. I had the same exact chuggle and the torque converter was replaced at 52000 mi, then at 64000 mi the car would not go into rev, took it to dealer jul5. They 1st said $99 for diagnostics, the called back an hour later and said they would have to charge $595 to pull tranny just to tell me what the problem was. Few days later called and said that rev flywheel, piston damaged and that repair would be $5000 (not under warranty) I made some calls to tranny shop and they said that they could do the repair for $2400, I then called back to dealer and told the that I didnt want them to repair it and I was sending a tow to take it elsewhere, they iformed me that they had ordered a remanufactured tranny and I would have to pay $835 restocking fee. Well I told them that I had not authorized them to order the tranny so they could talk to my attorney. Next day, service dept call me and said the tranny had come in and that they started repairs. needless to say I expressed my displeasure with some unprintables. as it stands now bill came to $4056. I am getting my car tomorrow and then checking to see what kind of recourse I have. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I wish u luck sounds like u might be in the same boat I just sank in

I don't know what state you live in, but it is a violation of the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act for a mechanic to perform any work on an automobile without the owner's written approval. You should not sign anything given to you. Be aware that if you do, you may unwittingly agree to the repairs. If they try to compel you to sign anything make sure you write on the document that you did NOT authorize the repairs. Make sure that you have a carbon copy of what you wrote along side your signature. In other words, take steps to counter any attempt by the dealership to claim that you authorized the repairs by writing directly on any bill, etc. that you did NOT authorize the repairs. Don’t let them sucker you into signing a document that states that you authorized the repairs. If this dealership and/or its service department is unscrupulous—as it would appear they are—they will most likely try to sucker you into signing a repair authorization so if you intend to dispute the repairs they will produce the document with your signature. Instead you should make it clear in writing that you did not authorize any repairs and that the repairs done were totally against your direct instruction to not perform any work. In fact, you should write a letter before you pick up the car stating your position that you did not authorize repairs with names of who you communicated this to with any other pertinent details. When you pick up the car give them the letter and ask them to sign it to acknowledge receipt. At any rate, if they refuse to sign the letter leave it with them anyway as a hand delivered letter.

Make sure that you protest clearly when you go to pick the car up as though you are going to have to testify in court. I would also send the letter to them by certified mail, return receipt requested. Again, stating your position and making sure that you advise them that you did not authorize any repairs.

Also, tell them that you do not want to pay for the work because you explicitly stated that you did not want any repair done. Bring a tape recorder with you and record the conversation, if at all possible. It is not illegal to record a normal conversation that is not a telephone conversation. Even if it were a telephone conversation, it still may be legal in your state to surreptitiously record without the other parties' consent if your state has a one-party consent law. In New Jersey, the law is one-party consent. Also, make sure you speak with the person in charge. The key here is to make sure you make it clear that you did not authorize the repairs and state your case when you go and pick up the car as though you are preparing to testify in court.

Also, if you can pay by credit card, once you have possession of the car, immediately call your credit card issuer to stop payment and enter a complaint and protest the charge. If the dealership should dare try to repossess your car by stealing it out of your driveway, then you will have clear grounds for a lawsuit, including possible punitive damages. I would also report the car stolen immediately.

Also, if you don’t have OnStar, you should subscribe as soon as possible because should your car be stolen, OnStar can track it down for you. If you should protest the bill and stop payment on a check or credit card and if the dealership takes the car, OnStar should be able to help you locate the car. Once you do, contact the police and make sure you press charges.

sts_meyers
08-24-10, 08:59 PM
Thanks to all on the advice. I drained the fluid and dropped the pan from the transmission. I removed the valve body and tried to find somebody in the DFW area to test just the valve body for me like you can have done to most other popular transmissions, but I struck out. I took a leap of faith and purchased a remanufactured valve body that had to be shipped across country, but it looks like it paid off. I installed the reman. valve body with new filter & fluid......It took more time to get the fluid back in than anything else....but it runs and shifts better than ever before. Glory to God!!!

turnne
08-24-10, 10:00 PM
This is exactly why you do not want to own one these without a warranty:tisk:

The car is 5 years old...and unless someone wants a perennial car payment always having something under warranty is not an option

Or are you saying the car is not worth owning out of warranty because it breaks down so frequently?

Warren

Pjazz
08-24-10, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't say that a warranty is needed. I would say you should have maintenace done on this car regularly, and make sure the person you bought it from did the same. You also want to have a good mechanic other than a dealer to maintain your car to keep the cost down. If you bought a car with over 100k miles be warned drive train parts are expensive on this car, Just as any luxury car.