Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Transmission Help Please

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Pjazz 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new to posting here, but have been reading for a while now. Several months ago I purchased a 2005 STS and LOVE this ride! Up til this last weekendit ran great with a little "chuggle" from the transmission around 30-40 MPH. I figured it was the TC locking in the "overdrive". This last weekend I went on a 5 hour one way road trip with no problems until I got back home. About the time I pulled into the subdivision after stopping at a stop sign, I tried to take off and only heard the engine rev up. No forward movement to speak of. It was a very hot day. 100+ outside. Any ideas would be appreciated.

David

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply. If I crank it from cold, then it seems to start off just fine. But after about 2 to 3 miles, it won't hardly start from a stop sign. I though it might just be low on fluid so I thought I woud check that. I had a hell of a time loosening the plug from the side of the tranny to check the fluid level. I never pulled the plug out. As I started removing it with the vehicle level and running, I was starting to get fluid coming out around the oring so I just screwed it back in.

#7 ·
Well David, this is what happened to me, my 06 sts has had the open recall for rear diff leak repaired. I had the same exact chuggle and the torque converter was replaced at 52000 mi, then at 64000 mi the car would not go into rev, took it to dealer jul5. They 1st said $99 for diagnostics, the called back an hour later and said they would have to charge $595 to pull tranny just to tell me what the problem was. Few days later called and said that rev flywheel, piston damaged and that repair would be $5000 (not under warranty) I made some calls to tranny shop and they said that they could do the repair for $2400, I then called back to dealer and told the that I didnt want them to repair it and I was sending a tow to take it elsewhere, they iformed me that they had ordered a remanufactured tranny and I would have to pay $835 restocking fee. Well I told them that I had not authorized them to order the tranny so they could talk to my attorney. Next day, service dept call me and said the tranny had come in and that they started repairs. needless to say I expressed my displeasure with some unprintables. as it stands now bill came to $4056. I am getting my car tomorrow and then checking to see what kind of recourse I have. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I wish u luck sounds like u might be in the same boat I just sank in

#5 ·
you need to have your car towed to a transmission shop or the dealer. Every time you drive you are only doing more damage to the trans and/or the torque converter. there is no easy DIY fix for this trans. Do you have any kind of warranty? P.S. PLEASE DON'T climb under your car while its running: that is a recipe for disaster!!!

#10 ·
Thanks to all on the advice. I drained the fluid and dropped the pan from the transmission. I removed the valve body and tried to find somebody in the DFW area to test just the valve body for me like you can have done to most other popular transmissions, but I struck out. I took a leap of faith and purchased a remanufactured valve body that had to be shipped across country, but it looks like it paid off. I installed the reman. valve body with new filter & fluid......It took more time to get the fluid back in than anything else....but it runs and shifts better than ever before. Glory to God!!!

#12 ·
I wouldn't say that a warranty is needed. I would say you should have maintenace done on this car regularly, and make sure the person you bought it from did the same. You also want to have a good mechanic other than a dealer to maintain your car to keep the cost down. If you bought a car with over 100k miles be warned drive train parts are expensive on this car, Just as any luxury car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.