: Polished Rims - help

lexpar
08-02-10, 09:58 AM
Just purchased a 2010 demo. Dealer damaged the rim on a curb and was to replace or repair it which they claimed was done. However, I suspect it was a used rim. The original 3 have polished backs on the splines but this one has a rough cast feel to it. Can anyone confirm whether this rim might be from a different year because of this condition. I also noted that the clear coating has peeled off in areas. My intent is to go back to dispute this.

baabootoo
08-02-10, 04:39 PM
I had a similar situation! They have part numbers which you can read from the outside. Both of mine had the same number, which meant a polished wheel, but for some reason had a dull clear coat around just the outer edge which I could remove with paint remover. I'm still waiting for an answer from the dealer. 9597859 is for the rear wheel.

mpouls1
08-02-10, 09:11 PM
I have a 3/09 build. Dealer damaged my left rear rim a month or so ago and replaced with a brand new rim (I saw paperwork ordered direct). Forgive me but if I knew specifically what the rear of a spline is perhaps I could confirm or help in any way.

baabootoo
08-03-10, 12:35 AM
I think he must mean the spokes.

lexpar
08-03-10, 06:56 AM
The back side of each spline on the original three rims is polished smooth. The back side of the rim that I suspect is a used rim is rough making me believe it is a different year or older rim. Not sure if that helps you. I am anticipating problems with this dealer not wanting to replace the rim with new.

baabootoo
08-04-10, 01:44 PM
All the rims were the same for these, and the same part number. They've only been around for two years, so check the number and let us know.

mpouls1
08-04-10, 05:46 PM
The spokes on my new replaced rim are completely polished all around the front continuing around to the back.

cbloveday
08-04-10, 06:16 PM
You may have gotten a replica perhaps?

Mine are all smooth, even the 4 that I ordered for my winter tires.

lexpar
08-04-10, 09:38 PM
... you mean there are replicas, please confirm if thats possible, I'll go after them for it.

Damagoh
08-04-10, 10:15 PM
The 4 that your ordered, did you order them from the dealer or another vendor? I was considering ordering an extra set for the winter as well. BTW, what was the cost?

lexpar
08-06-10, 11:33 PM
Looking further at the rim, there is no doubt it has a lot of miles on it, dealer ( Leggat in Burlington) insists it is the original and denies a change. I'm getting scammed and will be considering litigation. Never will deal at that dealership again.

lexpar
08-19-10, 11:21 AM
Finally, after further investigation and demonstration, dealer has admitted to the rim not being original and is replacing it with a new factory rim, let's hope it is factory new.

Gary Wells
08-19-10, 11:56 AM
Congratulations, it's good to see that your time and effort paid off.

cbloveday
08-19-10, 12:28 PM
Point for the forum!

baabootoo
08-19-10, 11:26 PM
So what was the number on it then? Congrats on the wheel.