: There are no words for how gorgeous..............

hueterm
08-01-10, 07:21 PM
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1972-Buick-Riviera-266591.xhtml?actionMethod=find%2Fvehicle%2Fvehicle SearchResults.xhtml%3AuShipController.init&conversationId=142125

IF ONLY it had buckets............

orconn
08-01-10, 08:24 PM
Sorry, never could warm up to the "boat tail" Riv's. I went to look at one when they were new and felt the upholstery and fit and finnish were really atrocius .... especially since they weren't particularly cheap. Now the '68 Riviera that is more to my liking!

cooncat
08-01-10, 08:29 PM
I love, love, love that car. I want it.

77CDV
08-01-10, 09:28 PM
It's a stunning car, but not 18K stunning.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-01-10, 10:09 PM
I really liked those 71-72 Rivieras, but then I looked a little more into the 63-65 Rivieras, and the '66-67's......oh the 1966.... :cloud9: :cloud9:

gdwriter
08-01-10, 10:38 PM
Although the original Riviera remains my favorite, the boattail has grown on me, in part for its sheer audacity. The front looks like a hungry shark.

Destroyer
08-02-10, 01:41 AM
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1972-Buick-Riviera-266591.xhtml?actionMethod=find%2Fvehicle%2Fvehicle SearchResults.xhtml%3AuShipController.init&conversationId=142125

IF ONLY it had buckets............Sweeeeeet!!! The boat tail Buicls were second to the last greatest thing Buick ever made (86-87 Grand Nationals). A time that we will probably not see anytime in the near future. Buick's are once again "old people cars".

ga_etc
08-02-10, 02:03 AM
It's a stunning car, but not 18K stunning.

:yeah:

Aron9000
08-02-10, 02:45 AM
I love the boat tail Riv's, but that gray color just isn't cutting it for me. Its a big, outrageous car, it should be painted in a color to match. Personally I think that a pale yellow(like Bro-Ham's Sedan Deville) with a brown velour interior would be so perfect and period correct for that car.

Stingroo
08-02-10, 10:19 AM
No sir. Needs orange with saddle leather.

:drool:

hueterm
08-02-10, 10:39 AM
While not my first color choice (which would be burgundy or black), this grey (battleship) is appropriate, as that's what the car pretty much is. I just haven't seen a stock one look this good in a long time. And 18K isn't that outrageous......

If I didn't need, and hadn't dumped mucho coin into 2 RMWs......that would be VERY tempting....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-02-10, 06:59 PM
The Riviera is one of the few cars that looks great in almost all of it's various generations. Aside from the 1986-93, and 1974-78 years, they're all gorgeous cars that really stand out from both a standpoint of design and performance for their respective eras.

BTW Mike, I saw a really nice black 91-93 Roadmaster Wagon without the wood grain trim and with the wire wheels today. It looked amazing.

Stingroo
08-02-10, 07:06 PM
Mmm... WB4 Roadmasters. :) I likey.

hueterm
08-02-10, 07:41 PM
I actually like the 77-78 Riv for some reason. Not really in context of other, more beautiful Rivs -- but to me, it just looks like it would be a good frequent driver from that era. After they freshened the '88 or '89 w/the duck tail (to channel the '79-85) -- I like those OK.

Get ready to flame me (especially Gary), but while I appreciate the earliest Rivs, I wouldn't say I really start the lusting process until probably the '68 generation. (Not sure when the gen prior to Boattail began.) And I DON'T like the '73, after they watered down the boattail -- all the way or none, for me...

As for WB4 RMWs, I would only want one if it were "GS'ed" out w/the Impala wheels/Buick center caps, tinted windows, maybe lose some of the chrome, etc. If they're stock, I prefer the woodies.

Bro-Ham
08-02-10, 07:53 PM
I agree, I like the 77-78 Riv, especially with a 403 minus the standard sport steering wheel - the optional tilt and telescope wheel had the 74-76 Cad style steering wheel which I LOVE. The 89-93 Riv is fairly pleasing to my eyes and the 79-85 is a classic. I'd even drive a 75-76 but not a 74 with round lights. All the others are not my cup of tea. :)

gdwriter
08-02-10, 08:12 PM
Get ready to flame me (especially Gary), but while I appreciate the earliest Rivs, I wouldn't say I really start the lusting process until probably the '68 generation. (Not sure when the gen prior to Boattail began.) And I DON'T like the '73, after they watered down the boattail -- all the way or none, for me...Nah, I'm out of matches. :rofl:

The second-generation Riviera (1966-70) was also stunning (except for 1970). I especially love the '66:

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/buick/66riv/bilder/2.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-02-10, 08:17 PM
It's mindblowing to think that in 1966, GM released both the Riviera AND Toronado, both of which are extremely desirable today and breathtaking designs.

orconn
08-02-10, 08:18 PM
The Riviera is one of the few cars that looks great in almost all of it's various generations. Aside from the 1986-93, and 1974-78 years, they're all gorgeous cars that really stand out from both a standpoint of design and performance for their respective eras.

BTW Mike, I saw a really nice black 91-93 Roadmaster Wagon without the wood grain trim and with the wire wheels today. It looked amazing.

It's funny that you should mention those two series of Riv's. After reading your statement I had to go and Google those tow models. Yup, I had completely forgaotten about them ... when I think of Buick Rivieras the '74-'78 and the '86-'93 are completely off my radar. My mind has to be jogged for mind to picture a '77-'78 also IMO a forgetable design. GM got back on the beam with the '80 Eldorado, Toronado and Riviera.

orconn
08-02-10, 08:36 PM
It's mindblowing to think that in 1966, GM released both the Riviera AND Toronado, both of which are extremely desirable today and breathtaking designs.

And with the introduction of the '67 Eldorado, GM had come up with a trio of the finest American "Gran Turismo" automobiles ever produced. Chrysler made a great stab at it with the '50's 300 series, but GM got the job done with these three.

I believe the 1960's were, for me the "Golden Era" of automobiles; i.e. beautiful designs both in the States and Europe, particularly Italy, and great performance that we are just in the last five years beginning to equal.

77CDV
08-03-10, 02:36 AM
I have an unaccountable fondness for the 74-76 Rivs. I think it's the dual high-mounted stop light (cribbed from the earlier Toros).

ga_etc
08-03-10, 10:21 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-Buick-Riviera-Convertible-SuperCharged-Very-Rare-/270615294684?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f01edb2dc Just for something a little different, just a last Generation Riv.

orconn
08-03-10, 12:27 PM
Actually I think that Riv looks better as a convertible. If his reserve isn't rediculous might be a good candidate for some TLC!

AMGoff
08-04-10, 01:23 PM
I've gotta admit... Those boat-tail Rivies never did all that much for me. It's not exactly like I have some sort of irrational aversion to them akin to most of the Asian manufacturers. I just think they're ugly. For me it'll always be the original, followed by the '66-'69, and then the '95+.

hueterm
08-04-10, 03:42 PM
I think that part of the reason why I don't like the 1st gen as much is just the fact of the time period. Pre-smog late '60s/early '70s for me is my favorite period in general. Size, power, interiors, etc. There are some exceptions, of course, but I'm generalizing.

And the boattail was definitely a polarizing design. Not much in the middle....

orconn
08-04-10, 04:18 PM
The "boat tail" Riv is definately polarizing. I'd put it in the same category as the 1959 Cadillac, there's them what love and them's what hate (me included) and there's no point in disgussing it further.

For some reason the the thing I remember most about the "boat tails" and there successor mid '70s Riv was the cheapness of their interiors. As I have said before, I went to the Buick showroom with an eye to buy, but was completely trun off by the quality and colors of the materials. Did Buick offer real leather in these Riv's? All I remember were some cheesey vinyl in an orangey red color and poorly assembled to boot! They must not have come up to the standard of their corporate little brothers the Monte Carlo and Grand Prix, or even Chrysler's Cordoba (I ended up buying a Cordiba in 1975).

Ranger
08-04-10, 04:39 PM
My buddy has a '72 Riv that he bought about a year ago with about the same mileage. I think he gave around 10K for it.

I always like the sleeker looking '66-'69's (I had a '69). They lost me when they went to the boat tail.

hueterm
08-04-10, 05:08 PM
The '69 style w/the retractable headlamps is growing on me. My next fave after the boattail. Don't like the '70, though.

drewsdeville
08-04-10, 06:00 PM
Funny how the FWD subframe Toro and Eldorado were praised when they were debuted in the 1960's. GM released those cars and FWD and subframe characteristics were recognized and appreciated. However, in todays personal luxury market, fwd and, the subframe to some extent, are looked down upon by many.

Just like the Eldo/Toro, many fwd designs perform very well. In the higher end segments, a fwd variant can usually perform just about equally with a comparable rwd for all practical purposes, yet many "just won't have that.":confused:

hueterm
08-04-10, 06:19 PM
To me, FWD isn't that big of a deal. I don't have a RWD w/traction and/or stability control, but I would think that a FWD w/both would perform better under bad road conditions. W/O stability control, a FWD in my experience tends to hydroplane less than RWD. Yeah, the ETC has a little bit of torque steer, but I really don't care....it handles curves faster than I'm willing to drive.

gdwriter
08-04-10, 06:56 PM
At the risk of starting another flame war with somebody, I don't have a big problem with FWD either. I'd prefer it if my Seville were RWD, but I like the last generation Seville better inside and out compared to the RWD 05+ STS. I think GM pretty much fixed the torque steer with the 98+ Seville, and I've never had a problem with it.

When accelerating out of a tight turn, I generally do it later in Sabrina than I do in Betty because of the better balance of RWD. Accelerating too soon in a tight turn with FWD just causes understeer. Unless you're really pushing it, the Seville is pretty neutral. It's fun maintaining a smooth arc at a higher than typical speed on freeway cloverleafs.

Aron9000
08-04-10, 07:40 PM
FWD works great for lower output 4 cylinders and v6's. I really don't like high horsepower FWD cars like the N*, SRT Neons, Cobalt SS, etc because its really hard to lay all that power down. Way too easy to smoke the tires, especially coming out of a tight corner.

Plus I hate working on big DOCH v6/v8 motors in FWD. Just no space under the hood.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-04-10, 08:06 PM
I like FWD as a daily driver. It's great for me to use in the snow & slush in the winter and give me the confidence needed to feel safe, especially when accelerating from a stop. Many people prefer RWD in snow, but I've had it both ways and I still like FWD overall, even though it's nice with RWD to be able to use the throttle to steer, provided you can use it correctly and not kill yourself that way. FWD for me is just great for daily driving. I mean if I had a sports car or a proper luxury sedan, I'd want RWD. But for a good-middle-of-the-road car, FWD does it for me up here in the snowbelt.

But...if I was living in a warmer climate, then I could totally go for RWD as a daily driver. A big Fleetwood Brougham TYVM. :)

Stingroo
08-04-10, 10:03 PM
^ My next car. :D

(Seriously... that's what I'm after as soon as school finishes. Mmm....)

77CDV
08-04-10, 10:11 PM
But the Roowagon is so awesome! :(

Stingroo
08-04-10, 10:30 PM
Oh, I'll never get rid of the Roo wagon. lol I think it'll eventually become the car that my future wife despises because it's kept around as a project/is too loud/is too big/eats too much gas.

And I'm okay with that. Heck, I'm halfway there, my current girlfriend thinks I'm crazy for owning it. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-04-10, 11:07 PM
I couldn't date a woman who didn't like the kinda cars I do.

Stingroo
08-04-10, 11:15 PM
Well, she's not really into cars at all, but I'm slowly changing that. :)

gdwriter
08-04-10, 11:26 PM
One of the few nice things I could say about my ex-wife is she had an appreciation for cars and liked Betty. My last girlfriend really liked her, too.

Jesda
08-04-10, 11:29 PM
One day, we wont even have wheels. We'll just hover like Marty McFly. Just remember that you can't hover over water.

orconn
08-05-10, 12:42 AM
I've been lucky that my wife has always been tolerant of my love of cars. She also likes cars, but not as much as houses, jewelry and cloths! So we have always indulged each others passions. I will admit I sold my Lamborghini 350 GT to pay for a new kitchen for the house, and other up grades. But it wasn't getting any use at the time so it was better it found a new home!

Several years later, for my forty-fifth birthday my wife gave me my 1964 Jaguar XKE coupe, so the dor swings both ways! While the Lambo turned out to be a decent investment, the house performed far better over the 25 five years we owned it. She picked out the house in Great Falls, VA and I didn't even bother to look at it before we entered a contract. So what goes around comes around, as they say!

gdwriter
08-05-10, 01:01 AM
That's pretty cool, Orconn. That BMW Z3 that I enjoyed for a weekend while detailing it was a 50th birthday present a friend of mine gave her husband.

sikohsix
08-05-10, 03:36 AM
Funkiest Buick to ever see road. My godfather had this same year and model. It was "booga'" green w/ the black vinyl top. He was a Baptist minister. He also had Cadillacs of this vintage and a Buick "DueceandaQuarter". He's gone now, but the man is responsible for my Cadillac fetish. Ride my pimp.:cool2: