: 1,310 reasons not to drag race your M3...

Night Wolf
08-01-10, 12:53 AM
I saw this after I uploaded a video and thought it was put together rather well and got several laughs out of it. I especially like the statement:

I was taking my M3 out of its home turf - the race track.....and lining it up against cars built for a monkey to stomp on the gas and go straight

fSEkUV7torQ&feature=related

Kev
08-01-10, 01:18 AM
Hah! Good video.

Mark0101
08-01-10, 02:36 AM
That was a good watch.

C&C
08-01-10, 05:49 AM
That was pretty good, and he was right; he got away with this relatively cheap.

Stingroo
08-01-10, 08:07 AM
I'm disappointed he's from my state. He looks AND sounds like a douchebag.

Good god, the more I listen the more I just want to punch the guy in the face. Bleh.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-01-10, 08:16 AM
Guess I don't really get the video. I mean if he dumped the clutch at a "real" racetrack :bigroll: , he would have had the same issues.

I hate to say it, because I like BMW's and don't wanna stereotype their owners, but this guy seems like "typical" M3 owner....rich, arrogant, and always happy to put other cars down to make his BMW look good by comparison. Granted, the M3 is one hell of a machine (or is it? He should be able to do a reasonable clutch dump without destroying the axle shaft), but this video had lots of contradictions that I saw.

Stingroo
08-01-10, 08:20 AM
Then maybe he would have got into a "real" accident.

The gene pool would have been pleased.

hueterm
08-01-10, 10:04 AM
What a tool....

Rolex
08-01-10, 10:34 AM
At least there's a Chrysler forum somewhere with a 300 owner bragging about STOMPING an M3 at the track. :histeric: And I'm sure the douchey M3 guy gave everybody at the track a good laugh that night when he broke at the starting line. Not a total loss. :lol:

Kev
08-01-10, 11:37 AM
I give him props for self deprecation on the world wide web.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-01-10, 01:30 PM
More like 1310 reasons not to buy a BMW.

Night Wolf
08-01-10, 01:49 PM
From the video, that axle shaft looks very similar in size to my old 325i, yet the M3 is putting a whole lot more power thru the driveline.

Dumping the clutch from a stop puts alot of strees and sends a shock on the entire drivetrain, it is a sure way to break stuff. Dumping the clutch is not typical of track events.

I'm surprised that the e46 is still using a drum parking brake system tho.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-01-10, 01:53 PM
Wouldn't the rear tires break loose first? Thereby taking all the stress off the other driveline components?

Kev
08-01-10, 01:58 PM
OEM drive train components from any manufacturer are rarely built for or suitable for race applications, especially drag racing. They may last for a run or two, maybe a few but eventually they are gonna give.

Quick change rear ends and axles used by the pros aren't just for changing ratios in a pinch, they don't last long either.

Kev
08-01-10, 02:02 PM
Wouldn't the rear tires break loose first? Thereby taking all the stress off the other driveline components?Whether or not, there is still a tremendous amount of torque stress on the axles. Think about it, how large are they? 1" diameter? 1.5"? Then, how wide and deep are the splines? Not that much material when you add it all up, now how many pounds of torque are applied when you side step the clutch at 3500 rpm?

BAM!!

Lord Cadillac
08-01-10, 02:06 PM
This guy revved too high at launch or something. I see even non-M3 3-Series' doing 11s and 12s at the track over and over and over, month after month without having problems like this...

Stingroo
08-01-10, 02:21 PM
This guy is a toolbox. Sal, you and I should go beat him up. :lol:

CadillacSTS42005
08-01-10, 02:31 PM
Wouldn't the rear tires break loose first? Thereby taking all the stress off the other driveline components?

Wrong, Ive seen stock LSX F bodys with 6 speeds and autos drop whole rear ends and according to him those are cars built for that abuse (not that his word meand jack sh*t to me). The major issue with any LSX car is traction, I can break my SS lose anytime and I still get major wheel hop. Throw some sticky drag tires without upgrading to a Moser 12 and your almost guarenteed to drop the rear in a few launches.

GM really screwed up putting a blazer rear end in them.

orconn
08-01-10, 02:46 PM
Hm! Guess I 'm glad I stayed away from drag strips with my performance machines!

Actually I wonder what else he severely stressed on the strip! quess he or the next owner will find out in the months and years ahead! Quess he'll find out next time at the road track! Hooo- raw ... or whatever the Marines say!

Lord Cadillac
08-01-10, 04:33 PM
What bothers you about him? I watched the video and didn't really find anything upsetting to me.. I doubt he's "rich" either.

Stingroo
08-01-10, 04:36 PM
His tone and attitude during the whole video just gives me that "holier than thou" vibe. It was torture sitting through all seven minutes. I was annoyed by minute 3. :lol:

But then again I tend to dislike people in general. :hide:

Kev
08-01-10, 04:37 PM
"Those most like us irritate us the most."

Stingroo
08-01-10, 04:41 PM
Maybe, but not this guy. He's an asshat. :p

orconn
08-01-10, 04:50 PM
I didn't see or hear anything "ass hat" about the guy. Maybe he was out of place at the drag strip in his M3 and perhaps unwise to be there, but at least he saw the error of his decision!

Kev
08-01-10, 05:01 PM
I like the guy.

gary88
08-01-10, 07:37 PM
Yeah, those BMW owners sure are douches :shifty

orconn
08-01-10, 07:41 PM
It's kinda like, "Call me anything you want .... I still got the BMW!!!"

Stingroo
08-01-10, 07:42 PM

Not what I was thinking, but hey:

If the shoe fits....

Night Wolf
08-01-10, 07:43 PM

I didn't hear any tire spin in the video. In fact the car already moved off the line when the axle shaft broke.

If the tire was spinning, then the stress on the drivetrain would be reduced. The amount of force needed to first get the tires to spin is what would cause the damage. It looks like he had some grippy tires on there.

I can't speak for the e46/M3 flavor, but on the e30 forums it's commonly accepted that an old BMW is not made for drag racing and dumping the clutch from a stop is not a smart thing to do. Sorta like it is known in the off-road world to be easy on the throttle when climbing obsticals and not to stay on the throttle if a tire/axle becomes airborn, as the sudden stop from the tire getting traction again will break axles as well. Dosen't mean the vehicle isn't built strong enough, just need to be smart in what you do.

By its nature, IFS is weaker then a solid axle, one of the main reasons why solid axles are prefered in drag racing (rear), as well as off-road (front, along with rear)

Night Wolf
08-01-10, 07:58 PM
In that quick clip of the M3 at the track, it appears to be the same car and helmet in the mirror as in the video of the dragstrip. If he actually races his M3 on a track, then kudos!

I personally thought the video was funny and didn't see anything "douchey" about his tone/attitude

Lord Cadillac
08-01-10, 08:15 PM
I think some of you guys are simply haters of automobiles that people generally consider better than your own - and/or are simply BMW haters. This kind of behavior is exhibited on all automobile forums. I hope you don't criticize those who do the same - because that would be hypocritical.

Personally, the guy seems pretty cool to me. Maybe I'm just too old to think reasonably...

All in good fun... Carry on. :)

Stingroo
08-01-10, 08:19 PM
Nah, I like most vehicles (the interesting ones, of course), and I would loooove an 8 series in my garage someday. :)

ben.gators
08-01-10, 08:25 PM
:histeric::histeric:

Anything more you like to share with us about this incident and BMW dragging Gray?

gary88
08-01-10, 08:26 PM
The E46 M3 definitely can handle launches like that though if need be. Heck, in the SMG cars with launch control it'll sidestep the clutch for you from 3500RPM (1900 for US spec cars). It's not advised to do it very often though as obviously it's hard on the drivetrain.

O2z7bK58xNQ

The new M3 lets you set what RPM you launch at anywhere from about 4000RPM to 6000RPM.

oYiVpS2qlT4

This guy probably just drove it hard a lot beforehand, and this must have been the straw to break the camel's back. Still though, BMWs are much more at home (and more fun to drive) on a road course. I really have no interest in taking mine to a strip.

ben.gators
08-01-10, 08:42 PM
I watched the movie, and to be honest not only I had no negative feeling toward the guy, but also I could find him a cool guy, and even I have a bit empathy for him because of the troubles and the lost he had (although it seems that it was his driving error).

He started by this clear sentence, "I am not a car expert, I am not a mechanic, I am not a professional race car driver...." and he was speaking as a usual BMW driver and his decision not to race with his M3. I guess this is a correct decision for him and most of the people (like me) who do not have basic necessary knowledge about dragging and racing in one side and on the other side their cars are not provided for a racing requirements....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-01-10, 09:06 PM
I guess I was a little harsh. I just thought it was kinda low class that he showed that Corvette that someone lost control of and put into a wall and kinda laughed at them.

If I had a BMW, I'd take it to the strip, just to see what it'd run. Why not ya know? Just be careful with the launch and you'll be OK. But yes, they're not just meant to do drag racing, they're beautiful track cars, and much more predictable than a Porsche. I like BMW's, maybe not as much as I like Mercedes, and certainly not as much as I like Cadillac, but I'd really want to own one at some point, preferably an E46 330, E38 740iL or E39 540i. They're gorgeous cars, beautifully proportioned and very tastefully designed in and out. They've set a landmark in the automotive field that nobody can quite touch, and other companies have been chasing in their footsteps for years.

hueterm
08-01-10, 09:30 PM
I would love a decked E38 2000/2001 740i w/the sport package, to this day.

Basically, this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-BMW-7-Series-M-Sport-Low-Mileage-/140427144011?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20b21c2b4b

The LWB are nice too, but the SWB sport really looks sharp. If it wasn't a sport package, then LWB all the way.

I like that generation 540i as well, it's just a little too cramped for me.

orconn
08-01-10, 11:07 PM
Of the various BMW "7" series I like the looks of that 2001 SWB the best. But having driven "7" series over the years I have to say they are not my cup of tea, I like "3" series the best, I could do with a "5" series, but would prefer something equivalent from Alfa Rmeo if they were available in the U.S. For something inthe luuxry sedan as opposed to sport sedan I'd really rather have a last generation Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas, or even a Cadillac.

But I also believe if a car turns you on and you can afford it ...... by all means!

ga_etc
08-02-10, 02:09 AM
The guy in the video was looking down on domestics a little, but to each their own. I'm not a big BMW fan but there are a few I wouldn't mind having. I got to drive a really nice '99 or 2000 3 series in Chattanooga one day. Don't remember exactly what model 3 series it was, but it was a 5 speed and drove really nicely, though it could have benefited from a little extra oomph.

The Tony Show
08-02-10, 02:37 PM
A very vocal portion of the BMW owning community has given them all a bad name. They look down their nose at anything without a roundel on the hood, even when it trounces their car in every measurable category (like all the raging on bimmerforums after Motor Trend said the CTS-V "spanks" the M5).

As a result, people love to laugh at the misfortune of snotty BMW owners. This guy is particularly easy to laugh at because of how well he fits the mold- talking down about the Chrysler, big douchey sunglasses, trendy shirt, 5' o-clock shadow.....all he needed was a popped collar polo shirt to be sprung right from the asshat import driver mold.

orconn
08-02-10, 03:12 PM
Well, we all suffer from the stereo-types that are attached to the brands we enjoy. Cadillac: blue haired ladies who church, old fart guys who always ride in the middle lane at 50mph.

Apple computer owners are brand worshipping, affluent geeks who would, or do, drive BMWs after spending a fortune on their Apple techno gadgets.

New Mercedes "S" class drivers ... Asian woman wearing haute designer clothing trying to make left hand turns from the right lane while on their way from Montebello to Rodeo Drive.

Rolex watch wearers .... can't afford a new Porsche but want attention when they test drive them!

Ferrari drivers seem to be techno geeks that made a killing on their company's IPO .... but really need to join weight watchers and get advice from their friendly "personnal shopper" at Nordstrom.

Confirmed new Toyota owner .... a sheeple who can luck out if he hurries down to his Toyota dealer and leases one of Toyota's "last resort" specials.

Porsche drivers, folks who always ask, "Are you sure that's enough!" after being raped at the Porsche dealer for a $500.00 oil change ... and enjoying every minute of it!

Volvo S60 drivers: the newly arrived oriental men or women who would really would like that Mercedes "S" class but can only manage the left hand turn from the right lane on their way to the local Nordstrom's.

I am sure folks here can ad man, many more stereo types to the list ... because everyone seems to have stereo types of the people who....

the recluse
08-02-10, 06:59 PM
I'm disappointed he's from my state. He looks AND sounds like a douchebag.

Good god, the more I listen the more I just want to punch the guy in the face. Bleh.

He's from Palm Beach, 85% of the guys down there are douchebags.

And as far as the aforementioned stereotypes, you can find them all in PB

Stingroo
08-02-10, 07:07 PM
True that.

Except Sal. ;) We like Sal.

the recluse
08-02-10, 07:21 PM
Note, that's why I said 85%. I lived down there for 10+ years and know a few guys that aren't total douchebags.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-02-10, 07:27 PM
Is it like Jersey Shore #2?

orconn
08-02-10, 07:50 PM
I thought the guys at the Jersey shore were "Guidos" a breed of douche bags unto themselves!

Kev
08-02-10, 09:44 PM
Ay, Goombatz! Easy with the throwin around the 'Guido' tag there!

Lord Cadillac
08-02-10, 09:49 PM
Us guys are interesting beings.. We all hate the cars that most people like. We all hate the guys that most women like.. Humans. :p

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-02-10, 10:32 PM
Us guys are interesting beings.. We all hate the cars that most people like. We all hate the guys that most women like.. Humans. :p

I've often noticed that. Especially how women like the sort of guys that aren't at all like us, in general.

Night Wolf
08-02-10, 11:59 PM
A very vocal portion of the BMW owning community has given them all a bad name. They look down their nose at anything without a roundel on the hood, even when it trounces their car in every measurable category (like all the raging on bimmerforums after Motor Trend said the CTS-V "spanks" the M5).

As a result, people love to laugh at the misfortune of snotty BMW owners. This guy is particularly easy to laugh at because of how well he fits the mold- talking down about the Chrysler, big douchey sunglasses, trendy shirt, 5' o-clock shadow.....all he needed was a popped collar polo shirt to be sprung right from the asshat import driver mold.

I stay away from bimmerforums, much of what you described, is there.

The e30, now old and boxy enough to not be "trendy" or flashy has really grabbed a gearhead community. Most e30 owners that actually know what their car is tinker on it to some degree As a result, the two main e30-specific owners forums - e30tech and r3vlimited are full of DIY folks that don't really fit the stereotypical "BMW owner" attitude. Same can be said for M42club, a hybrid e30/e36 forum.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-03-10, 12:33 AM
That's the way it goes with any car forums in general. There's a lot of difference between the people driving '10 CTS-V's and 1991 Broughams on here, or the 2011 Camaro and '87 Silverado on a Chevy site, etc etc...

Koooop
08-03-10, 02:32 PM
At the end when he pulls away, it looks as if he dropped his bag of blow on the road.

MauiV
08-05-10, 10:47 PM
Douche Canoe. All he is missing is an Ed Hardy or Tapout T-shirt.

Stingroo
08-05-10, 10:57 PM
Douche Canoe. All he is missing is an Ed Hardy or Tapout T-shirt.

He strikes me as the Tapout douche, not an Ed Hardy douche. :lol:

Bro-Ham
08-05-10, 11:22 PM
Oh you guys. :) I've always found it funny how fairly often on the RWD Cad forum that so many people are intent on fabricating some kind of custom RWD Cadillac hulk into a low profile space shuttle that can blast off faster than a BMW M, thinking these strange fast Cadillacs will somehow shame the BMW drivers into detaching their penises and offering them to you in some grand public admission of inadequacy.

I say who cares about BMW's and their owners. Everyone has their lives to live. If you don't like these guys and their cars then why dignify them with any type of acknowledgment or attention if you don't care for them or their cars?! :)

All I could think about when I watched this video, by the way, was how before the recent Florida meet when Matt and Sting were trying to convince me that racing my very pedestrian country club-ish yellow 1979 Cadillac down a drag strip they were hoping to visit would be a good idea so I could see how fast my old heap would go, which I told them I could care less about because I could only imagine the 10,000 million pieces that would fall off as I attempted to get to the finish line. :)

Happy motoring in whatever form and manner that may be for each of us! Share the road, even with the Beemers and their owners. :)

Night Wolf
08-06-10, 03:04 PM
Here in the South vehicles seem to revolve around pickup trucks and V8's. My Jeep somewhat "fits in". Not that I want to, but the native community seems to "respect" it.

When driving the BMW tho, it seems like every Bubba in a pickup with loud exhaust feels the need to let it be known that he can accelerate faster then grandma from a light, or speed by on a multi-lane road... it's not impressive.

For someone that drives a BMW because of what it offers, not for image... and the same goes to nearly any "sports" (not "muscle") car, the whole racing the engine, racing at stop lights, seeing who is faster etc... does nothing to "prove" anything, much like the above post, I don't care what passes me up at the light or the road, chances are the vehicle (and engine) instigating is much better suited for stright line acceleration from a dig. My old BMW accelerates plenty fast enough for me... but has nothing to prove 0-60 or 1/4mi.

Which is why such behavior dosen't phase those sort of people, and they just smile to themselves. My friend who has a modified Miata is the same way.

For what it's worth, I raced my '79 Sedan DeVille d'Elegance at the track and it ran a 17.4@79mph.... all 3 runs as the night went on. Talk about a car for bracket racing :)

Destroyer
08-06-10, 10:21 PM
Douche Canoe. All he is missing is an Ed Hardy or Tapout T-shirt.Why? This guy is pretty cool, I don't get all the "douche" comments. He kinda reminds me of John Stewart.

Night Wolf
08-06-10, 10:36 PM
I wonder if it was a Mustang Cobra, instead of an M3 that broke the IRS axleshaft at a dragstrip - all other things being equal, if all the "douche" comments would follow along...

Stingroo
08-06-10, 10:44 PM
Absolutely. At least from me. I don't care that the car has a roundel on the hood rather than a snake in the grille. He just strikes me as an asshat.

Destroyer
08-06-10, 10:46 PM
I wonder if it was a Mustang Cobra, instead of an M3 that broke the IRS axleshaft at a dragstrip - all other things being equal, if all the "douche" comments would follow along...They probably would. Generally speaking, this isn't a Mustang or Cobra crowd. Now, I wonder if the "douche" comments would have translated to this particular guy if he was driving an STS V or a CTS -V (seen plenty CTS-V's do the exact same thing that the M3 did at the track). Hmmm. I mean he called his own car a "piece of monkey shit" when it broke, lol. Why is it every one thinks he is on a high horse?

Bro-Ham
08-06-10, 11:21 PM
They probably would. Generally speaking, this isn't a Mustang or Cobra crowd. Now, I wonder if the "douche" comments would have translated to this particular guy if he was driving an STS V or a CTS -V (seen plenty CTS-V's do the exact same thing that the M3 did at the track). Hmmm. I mean he called his own car a "piece of monkey shit" when it broke, lol. Why is it every one thinks he is on a high horse?

This is peculiar...do the name callers probably wish they were in a position to be sitting in their own M3's telling the same story being the center of attention on this popular youtube video and having the likely harem of lovelies when they get home from the track to giggle and tell this funny story of their wild life living adventures over cocktails and sexual relations in their bachelors den? :)

orconn
08-06-10, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I kind of thought the demographic for a CTS-V was the same as for a BMW M car. You could of fooled me!

MauiV
08-07-10, 12:10 AM
I could have just as easily been in a M3 or RS4 as the V. I don't necessarily dislike the cars but I do prefer the LSx which is fairly easy to mod on the cheap and has numerous options for people that can turn a wrench on it without the premium price for the honor of working on the ultimate driving machine. I don't drive a M or RS for the same reason I don't drive a Fbody or a Mustang. I don't lile the image those vehicles send first and foremost. I like a more subtle violence. That if you don't know what it is, you have no idea of what its capable of. As Jeremy Clarkson said, the RS has surpassed the M for supercock status mobile. Also I hate the Tyler Durden wannabe glasses, the Affliction shirt and to much product in the hair. Nice spray tan too Oompaloompa

orconn
08-07-10, 10:25 AM
^^^ Now girls let's not get too catty!

Albertan
08-08-10, 02:28 PM
I'm surprised that in 5 pages of posting nobody mentioned that the original poster wasn't running a full 1/4 mile. No wonder he got a 13.4. Should have been 1320. Or am I the only one old enough to remember the feet distance.
Also, since I have a 2006 CTSV, I have read about this exact situation too many times to count. I can't imagine drag racing my V but road racing it is a lot of fun. I belong to my local BMW club and they are a bunch of the nicest guys around. (Unlike my local Corvette club, the president of which didn't know what a CTSV was!)

gary88
08-08-10, 04:04 PM
1,310 reasons= $1,310 in repairs, not feet.

Destroyer
08-08-10, 09:52 PM
Also I hate the Tyler Durden wannabe glasses, the Affliction shirt and to much product in the hair. Nice spray tan too Oompaloompa
I didn't notice any of that but I also wasn't looking him up and down. I don't know what Tyler Durden glasses are and have no idea what an affliction shirt is. The fact you did may raise a few eyebrows. I only heard what he said and found nothing wrong with it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-08-10, 10:17 PM
Tyler Durden is a major pick up artist, so anyone who'd want to follow in his footsteps would rightfully follow his style.

Destroyer
08-08-10, 11:09 PM
Tyler Durden is a major pick up artist, so anyone who'd want to follow in his footsteps would rightfully follow his style.I suppose. I still don't know who he is, may google him and get an idea but probably won't. Sounds like the kind of guy many would want "to follow in his footsteps" so I still can't see why anyone would call him a douche for it. What do I know?????????????