: Not very happy right now

VXGurl
07-31-10, 06:28 PM
As I was walking out to my SRX yesterday, I noticed something hanging from the closed passenger door. It looked to me like some kind of fraying fabric. At close inspection, I found that the plastic moulding at the bottom of the door had scraped off (obviously from a high curb), and was hanging in (hard to describe) threads and pieces. Not just black pieces but laced with white. I remembered that days before we had opened the door to a curb, certainly not violently nor forced, and that scrape had caused this damage.

I carefully pulled the loose bits off, stood back, and could see a whiteish line going across the affected area. Damn, I can understand scrapes happening, but was it cecessary to use a plastic that can so easily peel off and discolor?

So of course, all I see when i approach the car is that flaw. I know, it could be much worse. :banghead:

stevec5375
07-31-10, 06:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Blemishes like that drive me nuts too. I feel your pain.

algiorda
08-01-10, 12:19 AM
Have you checked out the cheap plastic "air dam" under the front bumper??? Every time I wash my SRX, this thing bends and flexes and seems very flimsy. There are other things on this car that seem cheap and plastic y like the rear stop light housing / spoiler on the rear deck. I'm afraid to put any time of pressure on this thing.

Very sorry for your accident; Kind of diminishes that new car feel quickly, doesn't it.

VXGurl
08-01-10, 12:41 AM
Please dont misunderstand my post. I love my SRX and I dont want this to turn into a car bashing thread. I would like to find something to "paint" the miniscule flaw. It is a tiny thing. Compared to the joy of owning it, driving it and being driven in it, it matters very little.

We went for a drive tonight, xm playing, moonroof open, smooth as glass.... okay, Im over this.

Ponyman
08-01-10, 11:30 AM
The air dam is supposed to be flexible. How would you like it if it were rigid and every time you ran the front end of the car up over a curb, or side walk, it tried to tear the front bumper off?

algiorda
08-01-10, 01:16 PM
I've never had an air dam this flexible, wouldn't it flex under high speeds?

I'm not bashing the SRX....I love it. Just expected a little higher quality when paying premium pricing.

As always, I guess I'm wrong.

Smokin' SRX
08-01-10, 01:49 PM
Pulled up to a store front and didn't realize how high curb was. Heaerd nothing but was horrified to turn and see mal-formed lower air dam, pressed against curb! Thought I ruined it. Backed up a bit and it just returned to position w/o blemish! :thumbsup:

Somebody in Design deserves a raise!

Sorry to hear about the other posters door. Thx for the warning...........

SS

Ponyman
08-01-10, 02:08 PM
I did the same thing yesterday. I was more worried about the pole in front of me, and the front parking sensors were raising hell. When I got out, I looked and I was still about a foot fron the pole, but the air dam was bent back by the parking barrier. Washed the car this morning, and the air dam looked perfect. I am glad it is flexible. If you will look closely, the botton two inches or so is really flexible, and it is attached to a piece that while flexible, it isn't so much as the lower piece.

VXGurl
08-01-10, 02:31 PM
Algiorda,

About the bashing comment, you and I were talking about the same subject-plastic. No problem with that. I appreciate the comments. I just didnt want to open up a forum for others who love to whine.

A neighbor of mine after seeing me buy a new car, had to buy a new car for himself. He bought a car that had a spoiler/air dam that was fixed and painted the same color of the car. Within a month, he had hit the spoiler several times and it looks like junk now. In light of that, I would take a black, unpainted, flexible strip over what he has anyday.

Ponyman
08-01-10, 04:27 PM
Algiorda, I certainly wasn't trying to bash you, or say you were wrong. Just telling why it is a good thing that the air dam is flexible. I have a ching soiler on my 72 Mach 1 and it is rigid, and I have to be very very careful not to ram it into the curb.