: Side view mirror vibration - 2005 STS

CTS11723
07-31-10, 06:53 PM
My car was recently side swiped and my driver's side view mirror was ripped off. I picked a nice one up at salvage yard over the internet and it works fine, but the glass is vibrating as I drive. I took the door back off and made sure the bolts were tight. Is there something else that might need adjustment?

caddyfat2
08-01-10, 03:44 PM
From my experience it sounds like you got an aftermarket mirror in which there is not too much you can do but replace it with an OEM one.

caddyfat2
08-04-10, 08:51 AM
From my experience it sounds like you got an aftermarket mirror in which there is not too much you can do but replace it with an OEM one.

I forgot to tell you that you can turn your bass down and that will solve the problem !!!!! LOL

next2pool
08-04-10, 06:05 PM
My car was recently side swiped and my driver's side view mirror was ripped off. I picked a nice one up at salvage yard over the internet and it works fine, but the glass is vibrating as I drive. I took the door back off and made sure the bolts were tight. Is there something else that might need adjustment?

GM mirrors have done that on and off, but it hasn't been a big problem on the STS. I have fixed some of those in a very inconspicuous manner by looking at the clearance between the glass and the housing. I then took a very small strip of double sticky back 3M foam tape and stuck it to the inside of the outer housing surface so that it lightly touched the movable glass part. Leave the protective tape on the side touching the glass. All it needs is a very small amount of damping or friction to the glass and it will stop vibrating, but still freely adjust. It may take a couple of tries to get it just right but it works and you won't see it unless you look very hard.