: Whats the best Battery for the STS-V

Ra Chago
07-31-10, 11:46 AM
Ive noticed that my STS-V 2008 has a large appetite for volts. The dealer has replaced the original AC Delco battery at 42k miles so its fresh. In the future I want to navigate away from OEM batteries and get a high capacity one. I dont drive it every day. Its a weekend car. Any suggestions?

Cheatin' Chad
07-31-10, 03:00 PM
First be sure you have no electrical problems that are affecting the battery.

If you're concerned with reserve capacity and starting ability an Optima yellow top(deep discharge) battery would work well.This is an absorbed glass mat battery that is far more resistant to vibration than a standard lead acid battery. They are in the $170 range.

bubba-v
07-31-10, 10:42 PM
Like Chad said check elsewhere first. If your battery is losing that much charge in that amount of time its because its disharging somewhere else, and the same thing will happen to the next battery you put in there. Next time your done driving pull off the battery connections. Before you connect it back up for your next weekend ride hook up a DC voltmeter and see if your still losing that much charge. The whole vibration thing is marketing nonsense I guess becuase they claim a connection with avionics but battery electrolyte and the conduction of current and voltage is not inhibited by vibration, if your battery is cracking from the way you are driving than thats a different story and Im envious of your skills! If you just want to buy a non oem battery thats ok also.

Cheatin' Chad
07-31-10, 11:39 PM
Vibration damage is real and has caused many battery failures believe it or not. Excessive vibration from a batter not being properly installed in a vehicle can cause cracked plates and damaged internal connections.

Vibration is an issue with most racing cars and a good deal of off-roaders:) I sincerely doubt most Cadillac drivers will have a problem with vibrations affecting their batteries unless they weren't properly installed of course.

Read this for more information: http://www.varleyredtop.com/pdf/battery_care.pdf

BMBSALES
08-01-10, 06:14 PM
my red top optima has been flawless in this car. don't have enough add-ons for yellow-top in my case

bmb

Ra Chago
08-05-10, 05:10 AM
Thanks. The original battery that was replaced had cracked plates. It wasn't able to charge completly because of this. I also found out the hard way of the accessory button and its limitations. I think I will go with a red top or yellow Optima.

CIWS
08-05-10, 07:26 AM
The OEM AC Delco batteries are crap. I swapped mine out with a Redtop about a year and half ago.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/157174-replacing-car-battery-other-than-oem.html

bubba-v
08-05-10, 09:43 AM
There is nothing wrong with the OEM battery. The Optima red-tops have a higher cranking amperage, they are good. Really though its better for your electrical system to be functioning properly than to compensate for the issue by using a stronger battery.

CIWS
08-05-10, 11:37 AM
There is nothing wrong with the OEM battery.

This forum is full of posts about the OEM batteries dying in 2-3 years of use. Several don't even make it to 2 years before having problems. Perhaps you haven't seen this trend here since you've only been a member since June.

bubba-v
08-05-10, 12:17 PM
If you made changes to the car and are having battery while it sits in the garage than you could do like you said and upgrade your battery or you could pull out a meter and make sure that there isnt another problem. Length of time on a forum is irrelevant to electrical troubleshooting. The idea that your logic convinces you to compare the two tells me how sharp you are and I wont waste any more time with you!

CIWS
08-05-10, 05:05 PM
If you made changes to the car and are having battery while it sits in the garage than you could do like you said and upgrade your battery or you could pull out a meter and make sure that there isnt another problem. Length of time on a forum is irrelevant to electrical troubleshooting. The idea that your logic convinces you to compare the two tells me how sharp you are and I wont waste any more time with you!

I've seen you mention this twice now, changes to the car, and yet the OPs post(s) have never said anything about him making any changes to his car. That is other than having his OEM battery replaced at 42K miles due to some cracked plates in the battery. So you can pull out your multimeter and do all the electrical troubleshooting you wish, but we were taught if it isn't broke don't fix it. :noidea:

Ra Chago
08-06-10, 04:52 PM
Yeah, Im new. Thanks.
Like I said, its a weekend pimp ride for me and my family so I'll let you guys know how long the new battery lasts before I switch it up to the red top optima.

Ra Chago
08-06-10, 05:10 PM
Which red top battery group fit in your V?(25,34,34/78, and so on) The website only has info for the XLR.

CIWS
08-06-10, 06:12 PM
The Type 78, there's a link to it in the thread I linked to.

http://bigtimebattery.com/store/sc78s.html

Ra Chago
08-09-10, 06:59 PM
Thank you

PNBLWZD
08-12-10, 12:30 AM
Costco has great prices on regular car batteries, which I've used in many cars, and they also carry Optima batteries.

fast impala
08-12-10, 04:33 PM
Just a heads-up, the 08 and 09 STS-V's require a battery with top posts.