: Body side moldings...

Smokin' SRX
07-31-10, 11:09 AM
Anybody do this yet?? I know the first door "ding" is coming anyday now. :crybaby:

I am in process of deciding what body side molding to get. These big doors are so vulnerable. I have had excell results w/ SPORTWING, oem-match painted moldings in past but hate where theirs is suggested (designed) to be mounted, at the mid-door location. I realize this probably is best location for damage prevention, but the upward "swoop" line on this sled's doors really visually conflicts w/ it, IMHO anyway. Sportwing has agreed to send me a painted set to TRY! (not actually stick-on!) Of course I will pay up front, but they will not charge me a re-stock fee if I ship back soon. Great guys!

My other idea is to put a chrome strip down low, on the existing, factory, body door line, little above the lower black trim. But at that level, it will have to be 1/2" deep to catch most other cars doors. The ones being sold for this location on EBAY and elsewhere are about a scant 1/4" deep at most. I tried w/ 2 other cars and with a 1/4" placebo, it doesn't protect the SRX door. Too shallow. I discussed w/ Sportwing and they do not offer any 1/2".

Still looking/researching..........all suggestions appreciated!

SS

KevinOpp
07-31-10, 10:28 PM
i don't have any suggestions, unfortunately, but am also interested in considering some moldings to help agains dings. i would greatly appreciate it if you would post the results of your trial, and what it is that you wind up doing.

thanks!

Smokin' SRX
08-01-10, 02:50 PM
Will do!

SS

Cad96k
08-06-10, 12:56 PM
I was concerned about door dings too. It is only a matter of time. Maybe this is what we need...

Smokin' SRX
08-10-10, 11:14 PM
well the Sportwing moldings came today. Color match is superb. Just like on their site pix, if mounted as they suggest @ mid-door, they work! But I am not happy with the looks at this location due to the profile "swoop" line on the SRX. Putting it lower there's not enough depth to protect....

I will figure something out eventually. Moldings are going back to Sportwing. I was really hoping I could find a way with the Sportwings.

Will post developments.

SS

KevinOpp
08-11-10, 10:19 AM
that's too bad, just what i was afraid of. i completely agree that unless laid on the swoop, it wouldn't look right. i don't think it's going to be really possible AND pretty with the current design....

Smokin' SRX
08-12-10, 08:40 AM
News! I installed the Sportwing.com painted moldings! Perfect match! But I installed them low on the cars factory crease line. Perfect fit. No new body lines to "busy up" the gorgeous profile view. But I estimate at this mounting height, only 35% of any dings will be prevented. (Sportwing reccos putting mid-door) I await a thin chrome molding to place on top of the Sportwing molding. I think it will look good if I get the right type. Still looking...... See my album for current situation:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/members/smokin-srx-albums-2010-platinum-ice.html

Also posted some pix of wood trim and a new Cargo mat, by Husky, from Streetside.com, our sponsor, at only $77 w/free shipping! (plus: enter Save10 for another 10% off!)

Wish me luck. These big doors gotta get protected before a shopping cart zeros in on them.

SS

rshovel
08-12-10, 11:44 AM
where did you get the wood trim? Are you happy with the match?

KevinOpp
08-12-10, 12:27 PM
wow--those look absolutely OEM----nice job!!!! just adhesive and press on?

i think they look great, i really do, but i'm worried that even your 35% estimate may be too generous.....the mid-door molding on my 4Runner has saved it innumerable times; it's amazing how much they help whether someone opens their door on me, or i open my door on them!! how did you arrive at your figure?

KevinOpp
08-12-10, 12:33 PM
i was poking around sportwings web site. can you post the link to the moldings that you wound up with? there's so many....

KevinOpp
08-12-10, 12:42 PM
ok, i think i found it, but what's the difference between the "chromeline" and the other moldings? they seem identical, both painted, same positioning, different price? and i also see the lower chrome trim.

http://www.sportwing.com/cadillacsrx10cfmld.aspx
http://www.sportwing.com/cadillac-srx10-painted-body-side-molding.aspx

Smokin' SRX
08-12-10, 03:59 PM
ok, i think i found it, but what's the difference between the "chromeline" and the other moldings? they seem identical, both painted, same positioning, different price? and i also see the lower chrome trim.

http://www.sportwing.com/cadillacsrx10cfmld.aspx
http://www.sportwing.com/cadillac-srx10-painted-body-side-molding.aspx

Mission accomplished! Chrome moldings arrived (from Auto Barn store or Cowlesproducts.com) They are 3/8 inch wide, self adhesive, very workable!

OK....The Sportwings are a class product and do look OEM with just a tiny effort. Their chrome-line has a recessed chrome strip (no depth advantage as I was seeking). I went with matched Painted moldings. The aftermarket wheel well, chrome molding was $15 and yes, 3M adhesive already on it:bouncy: The lower stainless steel strip by Sportwing, was more cosmetic than protective. I spoke to Dennis over there and he had no other solutions. Plus stainless steel dents! So I combined the two rubber-type moldings (had seen this on another car once, so I get no credit) for a 1/2" depth protection. The 35% protection ratio I mention, for just the Sportwing painted moldings alone, at the lower mounting height I desired, is my guesstimate after trying my 2 other vehicles doors. Wasn't acceptable to me either.

The wood trim matches almost perfect ( very good actually!) and looks great. CARiD.com had best price. Was about $135 and had alot of stuff I didn't even use. see their site for good pix.

Take a look at my pix and hope it helps those of you as worried as I was about our doors!

SS

Smokin' SRX
08-12-10, 04:20 PM
Ok..some emailed & wanted more pix......so here. Glad u liked!

SS

KevinOpp
08-12-10, 04:43 PM
wow! you wild and crazy guy!! :cool:

Smokin' SRX
08-12-10, 07:10 PM
LOL......thx. But you have the turbo I wanted :cool:

KevinOpp
08-12-10, 09:42 PM
ahhhhhhh, the turbo-----perhaps if i'm in a parking spot and i see a door swinging open at me, i can ZOOOOOOOM forward 6" in a huge burst of speed, stop, and just avoid it..............

seriously, the turbo acceleration when at speed already is so fast it's frightening. i realized the other day that except for the times when i've pulled out onto a freeway or something, i've never been able to fully engage the turbo for more than 2-3 seconds. you just can't. you're going so damn fast already that you have no choice but to start hitting the brake, and it's just barely begun to kick in for real. doesn't matter if it's a 45 MPH zone, you'll be going 75+, or if you're doing 70 MPH, you're past 95. i've heard it's s small turbo and all, but holy lord.........if i can only use it for 3 seconds at a time, it's fast enough for me!!!!

TheCaptain
08-13-10, 11:45 AM
Hey i was going to compliment you on that operation SS, that looks super awesome and factory like! *thumbs up*

Smokin' SRX
08-13-10, 01:38 PM
Thx. Necessity is the Mother of invention...........

Looks great and I sleep better :yawn:

KevinOpp
08-16-10, 04:05 PM
Hey SS, check this out---

was browsing around and i found this--it looks to be a ready-made bumper that's identical to what you constructed! would you care to check it out and comment? i'm curious about the price compared to what it would up costing you, and any other thoughts you might have. thanks!

http://www.carid.com/2010-cadillac-srx-spoiler/body-side-molding-83384.html

Smokin' SRX
08-17-10, 10:45 AM
Hi. CariD is good co. I bought my extra wood dash add-ons there. This product seems to be only 1/4" deep, with the chrome detail recessed into the molding. If it was added on top of the painted molding it would be PERFECT! It will work, as is, if you wanted to place at the mid-door height as they picture. I wanted to avoid creating a new line on the body profile. (I didn't like the looks). I placed a call to them as they helped me order the correct wood kit very nicely. If they reply that I'm wrong, and it is 1/2" depth I will post immediately. Wish it were so............

My set up cost $130 (Sportwing.com) painted molding, and $17 universal, 1/4" chrome molding.

SS

KevinOpp
08-17-10, 02:33 PM
thanks!! it's really great having you be the guinea pig so that my car winds up looking perfect!! :cool:

seriously, thank you for your posts---i'm sure you're helping a lot of other folks out there, and ones in the future that will venture upon these posts.

Smokin' SRX
08-18-10, 12:42 AM
Thx. Hope it helps at least one member avoid an ugly ding/dent. I see so many new autos, both domestic and imported, with big doors and NO protection! What are these manufacturers thinking??

But honestly, concerning my post, with the great members on this forum, I've gotten far more than I've given.

SS

Razorecko
08-18-10, 09:25 AM
ahhhhhhh, the turbo-----perhaps if i'm in a parking spot and i see a door swinging open at me, i can ZOOOOOOOM forward 6" in a huge burst of speed, stop, and just avoid it..............

seriously, the turbo acceleration when at speed already is so fast it's frightening. i realized the other day that except for the times when i've pulled out onto a freeway or something, i've never been able to fully engage the turbo for more than 2-3 seconds. you just can't. you're going so damn fast already that you have no choice but to start hitting the brake, and it's just barely begun to kick in for real. doesn't matter if it's a 45 MPH zone, you'll be going 75+, or if you're doing 70 MPH, you're past 95. i've heard it's s small turbo and all, but holy lord.........if i can only use it for 3 seconds at a time, it's fast enough for me!!!!

Having an 09 cts-v and a srx turbo in the family I can guarantee that the turbo is putting out more power than the advertised 300hp/tq. If you were to put it on a dyno and run it my guesstimate is somewhere between 320hp/tq - 340hp/tq after figuring drivetrain loss. That is definitly evident by what the above poster said, on the highway when you're rolling and hit full throttle the thing really moves for its size.

Smokin' SRX
08-18-10, 11:12 AM
Razorecko I suspect you're right from what I felt on the test drives I took. And the Aisin tranny shifts better than the GM model we others have in Non-turbo sleds. I gotta ask....do you hear Turbo-whine (whistle) loud enough to interfere/annoy with the radio playing at low volume (like a talk show?)
Just curious if I was tricked into not buying a Turbo by a "bad" unit.
Thx
SS

Razorecko
08-20-10, 06:53 PM
^ nope you don't hear the whine on this thing, it just kicks in and pulls.

Smokin' SRX
08-21-10, 10:22 AM
^ nope you don't hear the whine on this thing, it just kicks in and pulls.

Damn. the one sled I drove w/ a turbo (twice!) whistled like a sailor at a Victoria Secret fashion show! Musta had a bad gasket or something. Alas, I coulda had a turbo :-(

Fate had other plans.......I gotta accept.

SS

Razorecko
08-21-10, 12:15 PM
Damn. the one sled I drove w/ a turbo (twice!) whistled like a sailor at a Victoria Secret fashion show! Musta had a bad gasket or something. Alas, I coulda had a turbo :-(

Fate had other plans.......I gotta accept.

SS

Sounds to me like it was the current issue with the turbo hosing being loose. If it was slightly loose it would create a hole and during acceleration would create a whistle

Smokin' SRX
08-22-10, 12:23 PM
I think you nailed it! Now that I think of it, that's exactly what it sounded like. Damn! I woulda bought the turbo! But honestly, the 3.0 is a perfectly adequate engine and as it seems to break in, I can get it to fly if I lean into it. It's just at the passing speeds (30-50mph) that she'll take off only if you hit the 5,000 plus RPM's range and I hate the racket any engine makes at those RPM's.

But I'll suffer with it :thumbsup:

TheCaptain
08-22-10, 11:44 PM
Racket? From a DI engine? naw... that's gas only being pumped in at a mere 1750 psi... that's pretty quiet if you ask me...
:D