: What did you do to your V2 today?

Prof
07-30-10, 11:49 PM
Thread started in hopes that we can keep tabs and gather a little data at the same time. Part numbers and costs would be helpful as you do your mods/repairs.

Replaced the Purge solenoid...(the code that was thrown was P0442). Ordered part number 12639188. Cost: $22.24. Literally a two minute job to change the solenoid.

Replaced the plastic rub rails under the front fascia. Part number 25882978.
Cost: $115.00 (set of all three rails plus mounting hardware). 20 minute job...hey, I'm old as dirt...15 minutes to do the work, 5 minutes to get off the floor of the garage. Promised my self if I can keep from bending these for six months, I will get the carbon fiber...

mugatu22
07-31-10, 12:30 AM
20 minute job...hey, I'm old as dirt...15 minutes to do the work, 5 minutes to get off the floor of the garage.

This made me laugh :highfive:

Do you do your own oil changes as well?

Prof
07-31-10, 09:07 AM
This made me laugh :highfive:

Do you do your own oil changes as well?

I do, and that isn't pretty either!

shade
07-31-10, 01:07 PM
Whats a purge solenoid?

lavaman
07-31-10, 02:49 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong... but I think it's part of the gasoline vapor recovery system. I think it's used to help maintain the same pressure inside/outside of the furl tank????

Prof
07-31-10, 04:21 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong... but I think it's part of the gasoline vapor recovery system. I think it's used to help maintain the same pressure inside/outside of the furl tank????

Precisely! Thanks for translating my shorthand.

It is the black plastic piece with the blue electrical connector on the top in the middle of the picture.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/rfouts/CTS%20V/photo.jpg

One small long bolt holds it in place, and the white plastic is a release clip that allows you to unconnect and reconnect the purge tube.

TMC CL65
07-31-10, 05:10 PM
Today I finally hit the wheels with some TurtleWax wheel cleaner. Hosed them down and wiped the residual gunk with some shop towels. I checked the oil (no need to fill). Then topped off the coolant with a 50/50 mix of Dex-Cool/water. I also took the lid of my KPE CAI "box".

Tom

RapidRob
07-31-10, 07:48 PM
I also took the lid of my KPE CAI "box".

Tom

Why - may I ask? Doesn't that defeat the, "Cold", part of, "Cold Air Intake", (CAI)?

Rob

TMC CL65
08-01-10, 01:38 AM
Rob:

It was an idea being thrown around in the other KPE CAI thread. I guess what I am thinking is that by sealing the top of the box it may not be allowing a maximum flow of air. Possibly creating a pressurized system which could starve the engine a bit. I don't think that there is any concern of bringing hot engine air when the car is moving. The air from below should be rushing up through the fender to the filter...and out to the top of the box into the rest of the engine bay. Even when the car is stopped the hot air should rise...hopefully away from the front fenderwell where the air filter sits. It would probably be optimal to have some sort of hood vent. to help release some of the under hood heat build up.

Tom

backup
08-01-10, 04:23 PM
Thread started in hopes that we can keep tabs and gather a little data at the same time. Part numbers and costs would be helpful as you do your mods/repairs.

Replaced the Purge solenoid...(the code that was thrown was P0442). Ordered part number 12639188. Cost: $22.24. Literally a two minute job to change the solenoid.

Replaced the plastic rub rails under the front fascia. Part number 25882978.
Cost: $115.00 (set of all three rails plus mounting hardware). 20 minute job...hey, I'm old as dirt...15 minutes to do the work, 5 minutes to get off the floor of the garage. Promised my self if I can keep from bending these for six months, I will get the carbon fiber...

Thanks for posting the part numbers. I scraped my fascia cover / lip pretty good today - time to order a replacement! I am ordering part 25882978 fron gmpartsdirect.com.

GMX322V S/C
08-01-10, 05:49 PM
Thanks for posting the part numbers. I scraped my fascia cover / lip pretty good today - time to order a replacement! I am ordering part 25882978 fron gmpartsdirect.com.Ack! You can do much better on shipping/total cost from others--such as Luke at Lindsay Cadillac...

RapidRob
08-01-10, 08:02 PM
Rob:

It was an idea being thrown around in the other KPE CAI thread. I guess what I am thinking is that by sealing the top of the box it may not be allowing a maximum flow of air. Possibly creating a pressurized system which could starve the engine a bit. I don't think that there is any concern of bringing hot engine air when the car is moving. The air from below should be rushing up through the fender to the filter...and out to the top of the box into the rest of the engine bay. Even when the car is stopped the hot air should rise...hopefully away from the front fenderwell where the air filter sits. It would probably be optimal to have some sort of hood vent. to help release some of the under hood heat build up.

Tom

Yes I saw the other post/discussion after the fact, Tom. I get your reasoning now, albeit, I still think that letting hot air into the intake is best avoided if possible. I haven't gotten around to installing my KPE intake yet, and now, I'm wondering if it may not be the best available solution. Especially after finding out that the fellow who just achieved 10.5 sec. 1/4 @ 130 mph, (approx.), has a New ERA CAI installed, which uses a metallic tube, etc. Anyway, still open-minded about the subject ...

Rob

TrevorD
08-02-10, 12:32 AM
Today, I cussed my V2 and put it back in the garage. I lost the passenger-side a/c, and they driver-side a/c tries to blow cold but not like it should. I guess I'll be making a short drive to my friendly dealer. :( I can't blame it for breaking, though. It DOES have 4,500 miles on it.

Okay, I'm done bitching now. :)

Gary Wells
08-02-10, 08:39 AM
Yes I saw the other post/discussion after the fact, Tom. I get your reasoning now, albeit, I still think that letting hot air into the intake is best avoided if possible. I haven't gotten around to installing my KPE intake yet, and now, I'm wondering if it may not be the best available solution. Especially after finding out that the fellow who just achieved 10.5 sec. 1/4 @ 130 mph, (approx.), has a New ERA CAI installed, which uses a metallic tube, etc. Anyway, still open-minded about the subject ...

Rob

I'm with you on that, Rob. I haven't even opened up the box yet, still sitting in my garage unopened. I think that we will see enough information posted shortly to make a good decision regarding CAI's & which are the better ones to consider. '

[]

BeagleBrains
08-02-10, 11:56 AM
Today, I cussed my V2 and put it back in the garage. I lost the passenger-side a/c, and they driver-side a/c tries to blow cold but not like it should. I guess I'll be making a short drive to my friendly dealer. :( I can't blame it for breaking, though. It DOES have 4,500 miles on it.

My Air was not so very cold. Replaced the passenger air filter. Miracle!. Air Conditioning blowing cold, very effective on initial startup in hot weather

Prof
08-04-10, 04:33 AM

What was the resolution? Can you share what the problem was and what was done by the dealer to resolve the issue?

Communicated from a fishing lodge on the 60th parallel...fishing is incredible, web access is a bit shakey!

IBNR
08-04-10, 10:55 PM
60th Parallel North, I assume? Alaska?

Prof
08-04-10, 11:06 PM
1050 km north of Saskatoon, SK

Scott Lake Lodge

snzuloz
08-04-10, 11:09 PM
So that would be Northwest Territories (Canada Eh!) Great fishing!

IBNR
08-04-10, 11:17 PM
Awesome...very jealous...now back to whatever it is people did with their V today. BTW, I watched mine sit in my garage as I shuffled the rest of our cars back and forth to various repair shops. :(

Prof
08-05-10, 03:34 AM
Awesome...very jealous...now back to whatever it is people did with their V today. BTW, I watched mine sit in my garage as I shuffled the rest of our cars back and forth to various repair shops. :(

That's not all bad! I have hopes that the V2 will be one of the most reliable of my vehicles...put nearly 20k on it in a year and am still in awe of its quality.

Prof
08-16-10, 10:39 PM
Took measurements of engine covers to get a bid on full carbon fiber covers...hope I can afford it...