: It's a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast ....

orconn
07-30-10, 01:41 PM
Rick's comment "It's a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow" has alot of merit. I certainly have enjoyed driving some slow, but with stick shift, cars fast. I can't say the same for fast, stick shift cars. My 1983 Scirocco didn't have a very high terminal velocity but with its' five speed and its' peppy 90 hp motor, it never failed to bring a smile to my face when I drove it! I also remember tooloing around town in my relatively big, four speed, Jags ..... nice to be seen in but not alot of fun to drive on slow city streets. For out and out fun ... today's Miata fills the bill as a "fun" slow car! Let's hope Alfa Romeo comes back on the scene with some of their less expensive gems!

gdwriter
07-30-10, 03:03 PM
+1 on the Miata. Which I would only drive with a stick. Stick that up your Jeep's tailpipe, Rick.

Stingroo
07-30-10, 03:15 PM
:histeric:

You two are a trip...

Bro-Ham
07-30-10, 03:25 PM
I loved to drive my RR's briskly, especially when I was running late, which was almost always, or even just put the pedal down for the fun of it. They appear to be sedate sedan chairs but they are still European thoroughbreds under all the pomp and circumstance and will play the hussle game if you're in the mood. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-30-10, 05:32 PM
^ Yup. Same with the S-Class. It was fun to break 100 in that thing because it never seemed like it was going that fast, because it was built like a bank vault. I can only imagine how that big thing looked flying by you at speeds in excess of 100.

orconn
07-30-10, 05:55 PM
^^^ the operative term here is "briskly" not fast, when you really stick it too these cars they once again show their compromises toward straight-line, smooth pavement alacrity ... not to be confused with real speed and agility.

Stingroo
07-30-10, 08:08 PM
I get that sensation in the wagon too, I think it's just all large cars for the most part. 100+ doesn't feel or LOOK like 100+, but people move out of your way like you're going a million miles an hour.

By contrast, our Mazda 929 which I JUST took for a spin, I had it to 120 and it felt like every bit of it and more. It's a strange difference from car to car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-30-10, 09:13 PM
I've never really had a small car that's fun to drive briskly, so I can't comment on how that feels. I suppose I could drive my friend's Focus ZX5 really fast down a windy road and let you know.

Stingroo
07-30-10, 09:17 PM
Well the 929 (to me) is definitely small.

I'm only 5'9, and while I'm a big guy, it's EXTREMELY cramped. No tilt steering (I don't even think it was ever offered) so it's like all up in your nuts, and the car is short. I feel like I have a back ache after getting in and out of it. By contrast, the wagon is gigantic. lol

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-30-10, 09:20 PM
I could get my brother's '96 Nissan Sentra up to 120, but I don't have four hours to spare.

Stingroo
07-30-10, 09:29 PM
lol Yeah. Exactly

The 929 takes a noticeably longer amount of time to get to 100 than the wagon does. Which is very, very strange. At least, it FEELS longer. I should measure it sometime just for the hell of it.

Aron9000
07-30-10, 09:39 PM
I kind of know what you mean. The only place you can really open the Z28 up is on a desereted stretch of road or on the interstate on-ramp. If you get on the loud pedal driving around town, its about two seconds before you have to hit the brakes from rear ending somebody driving the speed limit.

But man it feels glorious when you get the perfect launch, nail that 1-2 upshift and then it gets a little squirrely on you at 40mph, then you execute that perfect 2-3 shift around 80mph, throw it into 4th at 100mph, then hit the brakes and hope a cop didn't see you.

Stingroo
07-30-10, 09:43 PM
I envy you. :(

Only thing is here where I live there are LOTS of stretches of open road just before my house, and it's pretty easy to hit 100+ or so without hitting traffic or ever seeing a cop (I live in a large, but sparsely populated town so cops are few and far between. :thumbsup:)

I actually thought I was a goner today in the Mazda, because I saw lights waaaay behind me and I figured I got spotted making a U-turn but that cop was just running to catch up with a firetruck headed the other direction. Scary as hell. To date I have no tickets :highfive:

Bro-Ham
07-30-10, 11:42 PM
I can't remember ever driving 100 mph. :)

Stingroo
07-30-10, 11:45 PM

It's fun. :shhh:

orconn
07-31-10, 12:23 AM

As i said, "briskly" is not really fast.

Aron9000
07-31-10, 12:53 AM
For my next fun car, I think a Miata is in order. I've never had anything that really handles worth a damn. You can carry a lot of speed through the corners in a 4th gen fbody, but I've never trusted them 100% from a handling perspective. I put Koni's on my old Z28, that made a world of difference in my confidence, eliminated that snap oversteer tendency when you get to the limit. Still, these things are just too damn big and wide, and no steering feel to boot.

Bro-Ham
07-31-10, 01:09 AM
Orr, I thought I was the one that said "briskly." :) I was driving briskly this morning - spotted the state trooper in the median, slowed down, there were cars coming up fast on me, and I was doing upper 70's in a 65 zone, the trooper moved off his perch and found a customer - not me thankfully. I like moderately high speeds that I can get away with since I despise visits with law enforcement officials, especially when they are doing state or municipal revenue enhancement. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-31-10, 07:53 AM
Briskly? You mean like down a curvy, winding road while going over the speed limit in a car that makes you confident of it's abilities and not worrysome?

Bro-Ham
07-31-10, 11:39 AM
Chad, to me briskly is driving intently with no f-ing around.

Bro-Ham
07-31-10, 11:54 AM
Sorry, forgot the :)

Stingroo
07-31-10, 01:09 PM
:lol: Dave you're a trip.

Jesda
07-31-10, 02:40 PM
I get that sensation in the wagon too, I think it's just all large cars for the most part. 100+ doesn't feel or LOOK like 100+, but people move out of your way like you're going a million miles an hour.

By contrast, our Mazda 929 which I JUST took for a spin, I had it to 120 and it felt like every bit of it and more. It's a strange difference from car to car.

What year 929? 92-95 were inexplicably tiny inside. So many compromises to adhere to round 90s styling.

Stingroo
07-31-10, 02:55 PM
Ours is a '93. And yes, it is very tiny inside. In the back seat, if I'm not careful, I will hit my head. And because the steering wheel doesn't tilt, it sits way too far down for my liking, so it's like I'm reaching DOWN to steer.

Not comfortable.

orconn
07-31-10, 03:35 PM
And in the early 1990's a Mazda 929 was not really a small car. In today's cars if they would just get rid of the stupid "coupe" roofline there would be a lot more space in them.

Stingroo
07-31-10, 03:56 PM
Agreed. The "four door coupe" style of car is stupid to me. I don't see why people like them. They're cramped.

Jesda
07-31-10, 04:37 PM
Second gen 929 also has no glove box. So weird.

Where did you put your owners manual?

gdwriter
07-31-10, 04:52 PM
That sounds like a good definition to me.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-31-10, 05:17 PM
I like the 929's, beautiful cars, but they didn't really have any competition. The ES300 was more expensive, the 525i was smaller & sportier, and the Legend was FWD. I guess the closest thing in design would be the J30 Infiniti, but those were more money.

Stingroo
07-31-10, 05:28 PM
Second gen 929 also has no glove box. So weird.

Where did you put your owners manual?

Simple. The center console is large enough to accommodate it.

ga_etc
08-02-10, 02:23 AM
I always found it very entertaining to hustle my 1991 Acura Integra GS 5-speed. At 130 hp it wasn't very fast, but it was quick enough to get out in traffic and have fun rowing the gears in. It's a thousand wonders I never got in any major trouble in that car. 100+ took some time, but once there the car was pretty stable. Nothing like 100+ in the ETC though. It is just as solid at triple digit speeds as it is at 70. The Integra wins in the handling department though, but not by much really.

+1 to Aron's comment on the Miata being on the list for next fun car. I want one in a bad way. They are just fun little cars to drive. I have only driven one that was a '95 or '96. Reasonable power, short throw shifter, and you can drop the top with one hand from the driver's seat. Undo one latch, drop the top over your shoulder, and haul ass! :D