: 2000-01 cam problem

mhamilton
07-30-10, 10:27 AM
I've seen the TSB here and there about the cams in 2000 models causing a rough idle, but I was wondering what the actual problem was? Initially I thought GM had another bad batch of non-hardened cams wiping lobes... but these are roller cams, so was it just a bad spec or something?

This was a service bulletin, not a recall, correct? Since my 2000 doesn't have a bad idle, I assume it's okay or it's been done already. Was not on the GM VIS report I got, but I know the cradle was dropped for some reason before 45k miles. Might explain that if some indie shop did the cam change.

AJxtcman
07-30-10, 12:20 PM
Dig around here
I posted the information on them. I can't remeber the reason why.

Submariner409
07-30-10, 12:56 PM
You were talking to a former CF member about PCM work and cam swaps. Last spring, 17 months back.

mham, It's a TSB, not recall and I think it affected some 2000 to mid-2001, and if the change is not in the VIS I'd bet the car never had new cams installed outside GM: that's one hell of an expensive job. Those cams, each one, aren't cheap by a long shot.

ryannel2003
07-30-10, 01:44 PM
My car has always had a rough idle, and I really do think it has to do with the cams. I have all the paperwork for my car dating back to the original owners, and there was never any information about the cams so I can be sure that they were never changed out. I do not think it harms anything, because my motor (besides the idle) runs perfect.

Submariner409
07-30-10, 04:31 PM
The (slight) rough idle thing was never a performance or reliability factor - just owner complaints from the type of people who aren't used to hearing an engine run or a car that rides any way other than a water bed.

mhamilton
07-31-10, 08:59 AM
Ah, okay, as long as it's not wiping lobes or something. I'm having flashbacks to the early '80s GM engines that were loosing lobes as you drove off the dealer's lot...

AJ, I did some searching, but only found the cam specs that you posted. Nothing about what the problem was with the 2000s and the bad idle.

My car doesn't have a rough idle by any measure, I would not even call it a vibration. At cold start idle you can feel a little "hum" in the steering wheel, just enough to know it's actually running. But once hot it's imperceptible. Just seemed to me (maybe my imagination) that it was even smoother 20k miles ago. But I'm sure that could much more easily blamed on aging motor mounts and spark plugs. As long as I don't have to worry about loosing my cam shafts, I'm okay :) Thanks!

Submariner409
07-31-10, 09:55 AM
:sneaky: If you want to drive a very different car, do a thorough wash and wax job, rotate the tires, and fill up with a different 93 octane than your normal brand. Whole new car.