: Anybody heard news about the new PS3 series tires?

RapidRob
07-29-10, 10:44 PM
Last I heard they were supposed to be released sometime last June ... ?

It'd be nice to know if there will be any real improvements over the PS2's, (I'm sure price will NOT be one of the improvements, however ...).

Rob

baabootoo
07-30-10, 12:13 AM
About the ONLY improvement would be to double the tread life! You're right, they probably won't cut the price 60%, so it won't make any difference to me then.

wfo
07-30-10, 03:45 PM
Can't wait to hear a release date if any.

Hopefully they'll have a 295/21/25 rear

lbenoit
07-30-10, 08:47 PM
Michelin annouced the Pilot Sport 3 in February. I cannot display a direct link due to posting restrictions, but if you perform a search for "Michelin Pilot Sport 3 Press Kit", you will see several links to either an HTML or Abobe version of the press kit. Unfortunately, OEM rear tire size for the CTS-V is not among those slated for production before the end of 2010.

The PS3, if you accept Michelin's claims, offers some notable improvements over the PS2, including better wet handling and braking and 10% better fuel economy. Also, the Michelin USA website lists only four sizes for the PS with specs that include a 320 UTQG tread wear rating, compared to just 220 UTQG for the PS2 -- a very significant improvement.

Unfortunately, unless plans change it appears that CTS-V owners will have to wait to at least 2011 for production of the PS3 in our OEM rear tire size. This is very disappointing and raises the question of whether or not Cadillac is even testing the PS3 for certification on the CTS-V during the 2011 model year or will defer to the 2012 model year.

I have sent an e-mail to Michelin USA requesting the latest information on the PS3 for the US replacement market and will post the response here.

RapidRob
07-30-10, 09:57 PM
^^^ Thanks for that info.!

Rob

b4z
07-31-10, 06:42 PM
No way a 320 treadwear tire can hang with a 220 treadwear tire in the dry. Sounds like they may have gone for better wet performance over dry like Bridgestone did with the RE11 vs. the previous gen RE-01.

lbenoit
08-02-10, 12:35 PM
In response to an e-mail to Michelin's customer service regarding PS3 sizes for the CTS-V, I received the following reply:

"Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you. We only show the 255/40ZR19 and the 275/40ZR19 coming in October. Please contact us in December to see what other sizes are coming in 2011."

^^^ Thanks for that info.!

Rob