: Fleet maneuvers

hueterm
07-28-10, 11:24 PM
Had a little extra time this afternoon when I went to get the ETC, and since I now have a halfway decent camera in my phone, I thought I'd take a few pics of part of the fleet:

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/manoeuvre1.jpg

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/manoeuvre2.jpg

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/manoeuvre3.jpg

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/manoeuvre5.jpg

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/manoeuvre6.jpg

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/manoeuvre7.jpg

And while not with the rest of them, here is the white RMW at an I-44 rest area after walking Beretta. Am totally loving the tinted windows on the RMWs...

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/2010-07-25114908.jpg

Sorry, but nothing today for the EXT lover...

hueterm
07-28-10, 11:27 PM
Crap...I hate typos in thread titles...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ga_etc
07-28-10, 11:36 PM
I am jealous of your fleet. That ETC looks a little familiar... :D

93DevilleUSMC
07-28-10, 11:37 PM
You have some beautiful machinery, man, although I half expected to see some Navy ships :-(.

77CDV
07-28-10, 11:40 PM
Lovely grouping. Is that a '70 GP I see lurking in the background? Love those!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-28-10, 11:46 PM
I hope to someday have a collection like that. :)

ben.gators
07-28-10, 11:46 PM
I do love that Eldo!

BTW, what kind of parking is here? A shared parking for a complex or one of those rental parkings? Whatever it is my STS needs one of them! It sits under a shelter, no garage! :nono:

77CDV
07-28-10, 11:50 PM
I hope to someday have a collection like that. :)

It can be yours for mere money. :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-28-10, 11:51 PM
I see a serious lack of Toyota Corollas. :p

77CDV
07-28-10, 11:51 PM
That's because he has taste! :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-28-10, 11:52 PM
Oh that's right! We have TASTE....and civility, and class! :) :)

hueterm
07-28-10, 11:54 PM
Thanks all --

Yes, 77 -- it's a '70 -- good eye! Ben, driving the RMWs as much as I do now makes me appreciate the ETC even more. I'd originally considered selling the ETC and Concours and replacing them w/a 2003 STS, but I don't think I'm going to do that now -- especially considering how much coin I've dumped into them that I'd just lose.

There is a storage facility a mile or two from my house. Until I can get my driveway widened, I have four 10x30 double door bays. However, one of which has sat empty since at least one, if not both wagons have been in for some kind of work or another since I bought them.

When I get my driveway widened, I'm going to keep the white wagon at home, and covered when it looks like bad weather.

hueterm
07-28-10, 11:56 PM

Where is Drew when you need him? OOPS :bouncy:

Maybe he'll see this when he gets back, and he can count up to 40 -- the number of cylinders in these pics :highfive:

hueterm
07-28-10, 11:58 PM
Me thinks Chadly fixed my title...!

hueterm
07-29-10, 12:00 AM
Lovely grouping. Is that a '70 GP I see lurking in the background? Love those!

BTW, that was my car in high school....it needs a ton of work.... :crying:

ga_etc
07-29-10, 12:04 AM
Just for the record, my ETC has moar chromz than your ETC. :P

hueterm
07-29-10, 12:08 AM
In the pics where the ETC, Concours and RMW are in a row, I was going to line them up where the RMW was farthest away, then the Concours, and then the ETC -- so that you could see how much longer one was than the other when the picture was taken from the side.

However, there isn't as much difference in length between the wagon and the Deville as I'd thought, so it was kind of pointless....

hueterm
07-29-10, 12:09 AM
Just for the record, my ETC has moar chromz than your ETC. :P

How are they different?

ga_etc
07-29-10, 12:24 AM
How are they different?

I have the chrome trim, where yours is painted.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/0907091507.jpg

hueterm
07-29-10, 12:27 AM
I like that -- was it a factory option, or was it aftermarket? I actually would have preferred that the ETC have a chrome grille (not grey like the ESC) instead of the monochrome.

orconn
07-29-10, 01:02 AM
That white Buick Roadmaster wagon really brings memories. A very good friend of mine had one of those just like yours that he used as his DD and also used to trailer his SCCA B sports racing car to all the races he used to compete in on the California circuit. I am sure it made several trips back to Road Atlanta until Frank finally retired from racing in his late sixties. I met Frank Monise back in the late 1960's when I had my Lamborghini and we came to have a long and enjoyable friendship which lasted until Frank passed away in his early eighties. He won numerous western regional championships and competed annually at the big national events. Frank was especially well known for driving for driving for Pete Brock's team that won the national championships for Datsun back in the late 1960's and early '70's. It was with Frank that I had dinner with the likes of Dan Gurney, Phil Hill, Tony September and several other of the old timers in auto racing. I used to hang out and sometimes help out at Frank's shop in Pasadena and in this way got to drive a lot of sixties and seventies, and earlier, Aston Martins, Ferraris, Mercedes 300SLs and tons of Jaguars and other British and Italian cars. The Buick was Frank's last tow car before he gave up driving in races.

77CDV
07-29-10, 01:37 AM
BTW, that was my car in high school....it needs a ton of work.... :crying:

I feel your pain.

ben.gators
07-29-10, 01:58 AM
Ben, driving the RMWs as much as I do now makes me appreciate the ETC even more. I'd originally considered selling the ETC and Concours and replacing them w/a 2003 STS, but I don't think I'm going to do that now -- especially considering how much coin I've dumped into them that I'd just lose.

I totally understand what are you speaking about! Same goes for me too. If I want to sell my STS the money they will offer would be less than the amount of money I have spent just about one year! And much more important there is no balance between the level of car and the amount of money I will get for it. I will consider it as an insult if I want to sell my STS for 3K$ and I know, no one will pay more than this for it. So I am just going to keep mine until a very STRONG reason enforces me to sell it, e.g. it falls apart or my wife in future asks me to sell it! :p

And I hope every thing in widening your driveway goes fast and easy for you.

ben.gators
07-29-10, 02:01 AM
I have the chrome trim, where yours is painted.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/0907091507.jpg

That is a very nice looking ETC. BTW, everything is shiny, but tires. Try one of those tire dressing products. It will make a big difference.

ga_etc
07-29-10, 03:42 AM
I like that -- was it a factory option, or was it aftermarket? I actually would have preferred that the ETC have a chrome grille (not grey like the ESC) instead of the monochrome.

The chrome trim is factory. They started painting it in 2000. I think the extra splash of chrome really helps to set the car off. I prefer the color-keyed grille though. It makes the nose on the car look smaller on the darker colors. One thing I would like to do though is get the aftermarket billet grille. It really looks good on our Crimson Pearl cars.

ga_etc
07-29-10, 10:56 AM
That is a very nice looking ETC. BTW, everything is shiny, but tires. Try one of those tire dressing products. It will make a big difference.

Thanks. I use Black Magic's Tire Shine, but that picture was taken on the way home from the car wash so I wasn't able to use it yet.

hueterm
07-29-10, 06:01 PM
I totally understand what are you speaking about! Same goes for me too. If I want to sell my STS the money they will offer would be less than the amount of money I have spent just about one year! And much more important there is no balance between the level of car and the amount of money I will get for it. I will consider it as an insult if I want to sell my STS for 3K$ and I know, no one will pay more than this for it. So I am just going to keep mine until a very STRONG reason enforces me to sell it, e.g. it falls apart or my wife in future asks me to sell it! :p

And I hope every thing in widening your driveway goes fast and easy for you.

Hopefully it will. It's just a normal concrete driveway that I want an angled extension poured enough to park a Roadmaster wagon on. I've gotten a $1200 quote and a $1500 quote. I'm waiting on a couple of other places to call me back.

Having a wagon at home is very handy so I can take the dog places while crated, on the spur of the moment (hiking trails, dog park, petco, etc.). I'm afraid his crate will eventually mess up the back seats of either the EXT or the Concours -- but the back cargo area of a wagon is pretty impervious.

But I can't say that I necessarily enjoy driving a RMW around town w/o a particular need to do so...

The-Dullahan
07-29-10, 06:18 PM

Hey, don't mess with those Toyota Corollas, apparently they still run after 14 years without changing any of the fluids but the gasoline and oil, the brake pads last about 4,000 miles, because you ride with your foot on the brake pedal and only cost $40 when you bring them to a shop, because you were too stupid to replace a fuse on your own.

hueterm
07-29-10, 06:44 PM
That white Buick Roadmaster wagon really brings memories. A very good friend of mine had one of those just like yours that he used as his DD and also used to trailer his SCCA B sports racing car to all the races he used to compete in on the California circuit. I am sure it made several trips back to Road Atlanta until Frank finally retired from racing in his late sixties. I met Frank Monise back in the late 1960's when I had my Lamborghini and we came to have a long and enjoyable friendship which lasted until Frank passed away in his early eighties. He won numerous western regional championships and competed annually at the big national events. Frank was especially well known for driving for driving for Pete Brock's team that won the national championships for Datsun back in the late 1960's and early '70's. It was with Frank that I had dinner with the likes of Dan Gurney, Phil Hill, Tony September and several other of the old timers in auto racing. I used to hang out and sometimes help out at Frank's shop in Pasadena and in this way got to drive a lot of sixties and seventies, and earlier, Aston Martins, Ferraris, Mercedes 300SLs and tons of Jaguars and other British and Italian cars. The Buick was Frank's last tow car before he gave up driving in races.

The RMWs really are such functional vehicles. I need to run the RPO decoder again to see if they have the tow package -- I don't think they do, but I wouldn't use it anyway. They work SO well traveling w/the dog. While his crate can just barely tip over if there's nothing else in the cargo area, I always have other stuff piled in around it, so there's nowhere for it to go. It's low enough to where he easily learned how to jump up into it (I still have to help him into the back door of the EXT). And if I were to ever get another dog (possibly Beretta Jr.) -- then two crates could fit in the back.

With a TON of stuff in the back, the middle seats are still usable (if so low as to be a whiplash danger, and terrible legroom) -- or I can pile even more stuff into the middle seats.

The front seats themselves are my favorites so far in vehicles I've owned, in terms of seat comfort (although heated would have been nice) and there's plenty of LT-1 power for passing on the interstate. Spirited back road driving, is of course, a joke -- but that's not what I do with it.

It needs rear A/C vents BAD -- however the tinted windows do help. Putting little kids in the rear facing seats, as hot as it gets, could now probably be considered neglect...

I've got a few things left to do: another window regulator on one, mufflers on another, XM radio on both, but they're coming along!

Stingroo
07-29-10, 07:07 PM
Yeah my sister bitches about being in the back seat of my Caprice all the time. I told her that the reason there's no back AC vents in the wagon is because it was built back when rear passengers were supposed to be children, so she is supposed to be seen and not heard.

Dad found it hilarious, she didn't. :lol:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-29-10, 09:08 PM
Mike, what do you do for a living? I don't think you've ever told us.

hueterm
07-30-10, 12:08 AM
Mike, what do you do for a living? I don't think you've ever told us.

Sales, marketing and product development for a consumer products company.

gdwriter
07-30-10, 02:27 AM
Sales, marketing and product development for a consumer products company.Considering where you live, is this consumer products company a major vendor for Wal-Mart?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-30-10, 08:39 AM
....Or Walmart it's self?

hueterm
07-30-10, 09:27 AM
Considering where you live, is this consumer products company a major vendor for Wal-Mart?

Why yes, as a matter of fact! :thumbsup:

77CDV
07-31-10, 01:04 AM
Hey, don't mess with those Toyota Corollas, apparently they still run after 14 years without changing any of the fluids but the gasoline and oil, the brake pads last about 4,000 miles, because you ride with your foot on the brake pedal and only cost $40 when you bring them to a shop, because you were too stupid to replace a fuse on your own.

:lol: I totally forgot about that "all original" Corolla!

Stingroo
07-31-10, 05:55 PM
That poor, poor car....

77CDV
08-01-10, 04:13 AM
Hey, it was only a Corolla. Not like anyone will miss it or anything.

Jesda
08-01-10, 02:37 PM
What does storage cost you

hueterm
08-01-10, 02:46 PM
Between $275-300/mo for four 12x30 double door mobile home height bays. Since I have very little storage space at my house, in the 10' appx. behind each car, I can store the random junk that would normally take up my garage or basement.

As soon as I can get the driveway widened, it will go down to about $210/mo. for three.