: Radio Time shifting?

jb7952
07-28-10, 08:02 PM
The manual shows instructions on time shifting radio (think tivo) with 'MEM'? I have the NAV/HDD, etc.. and I can't seem to match the instructions with the screens. Can someone please explain if this works and if so, how to do it?

Thanks

sube5186
07-28-10, 08:36 PM
Just press the "pause" button. Music from the radio is fed to a buffer. You can pause live music for up to 20 minutes. Even if you turn the car off it continues to feed into the buffer. While listening to music that's been paused, you can even fast forward too.

Sube

jb7952
07-29-10, 07:56 AM
Thx, that worked. Doesn't work exactly how I'd hoped, but since I wasn't expecting anything it's still a bonus!

sube5186
07-29-10, 11:10 AM
Thx, that worked. Doesn't work exactly how I'd hoped, but since I wasn't expecting anything it's still a bonus!

Just curious, how were you hoping it would work?

Sube

jb7952
07-29-10, 08:14 PM
Just curious, how were you hoping it would work?

Sube

Like a Tivo. Once you put it on the station, it starts buffering immediately. The Caddy you have to tell it to start buffering which is a bit annoying. I listen to and alternate between talk stations often. I don't want to have to remember to hit the buffer key every time I change stations, it should just do it automatically. Still it's better than nothing.

-j

sube5186
07-29-10, 08:26 PM
Like a Tivo. Once you put it on the station, it starts buffering immediately. The Caddy you have to tell it to start buffering which is a bit annoying. I listen to and alternate between talk stations often. I don't want to have to remember to hit the buffer key every time I change stations, it should just do it automatically. Still it's better than nothing.

-j

It does that. As long as you keep it on one station, it's buffering that music. That's why you can always rewind. However, once you change the station it clears the buffer. A TiVo or other DVR can record on one channel while watching another because it has "two" separate tuners.

Sube

jb7952
07-29-10, 08:36 PM
It does that. As long as you keep it on one station, it's buffering that music. That's why you can always rewind. However, once you change the station it clears the buffer. A TiVo or other DVR can record on one channel while watching another because it has "two" separate tuners.

Sube

Hmmm..

I'm not trying to record one channel while listening to another or anything like that.. just the channel I'm on.

I must be doing something wrong then. I only seem to be able to rewind to the point at which I hit the "play/pause" button. Only then do I get the progress bar and the ability to rewind/FF. If I try to rewind before hitting Play/pause, it just changes stations.

TheCaptain
07-30-10, 11:24 AM
Hmmm..

I'm not trying to record one channel while listening to another or anything like that.. just the channel I'm on.

I must be doing something wrong then. I only seem to be able to rewind to the point at which I hit the "play/pause" button. Only then do I get the progress bar and the ability to rewind/FF. If I try to rewind before hitting Play/pause, it just changes stations.

That is how it works. The Play/Pause is just the indicator for when to get ready to rewind, and using the seek/scan buttons. Otherwise you're going to end up having another ten buttons hanging around with only one use. Not very practical.

jb7952
09-17-10, 09:45 PM
That is how it works. The Play/Pause is just the indicator for when to get ready to rewind, and using the seek/scan buttons. Otherwise you're going to end up having another ten buttons hanging around with only one use. Not very practical.

It doesn't work that way unless you're listening to XM. Analog stations you have to start recording manually.

TheCaptain
09-18-10, 07:31 AM
Ah, i stand corrected.
I've never listened to terrestrial radio since i've gotten XM. :D