: Ipod vs. USB?

jb7952
07-28-10, 08:50 PM
Is there any real advantage to one or the other? I can buy a 32g USB stick for about the same price as a used 30g Ipod. I wouldn't be using either for anything other than storage for music in the Caddy. I can't seem to find any advantage for the Ipod over the USB stick, while the Caddy 'controls' the Ipod, it seems to functionally do the same thing with the USB stick.

Thanks.

sube5186
07-28-10, 09:41 PM
The iPod has a battery that has to be kept charged. The thumbdrive is USB powered.

Sube

jb7952
07-29-10, 12:47 AM
The iPod has a battery that has to be kept charged. The thumbdrive is USB powered.

Sube

The Ipod doesn't charge from the USB port?!? Ponderous man, f'n ponderous.

Thanks for the quick answer, that's a pretty good differentiator. This is my wife's car and it'll pretty much be a permanent addition once it's plugged in.

algiorda
07-29-10, 08:30 AM
Actually, I would stick (pun!) with the USB Thumb Drive. You simply insert the USB Stick into the console, record the contents onto the HDD and wha-la, no need for either an iPod or the Thumb Drive. You have 10 gig of storage space on the Hard disk and you don't have to fiddle-faddle with the iPod wires etc.

jb7952
07-29-10, 08:42 AM
Actually, I would stick (pun!) with the USB Thumb Drive. You simply insert the USB Stick into the console, record the contents onto the HDD and wha-la, no need for either an iPod or the Thumb Drive. You have 10 gig of storage space on the Hard disk and you don't have to fiddle-faddle with the iPod wires etc.

I have LOT more than 10g of music. I think I'll be over 500g by the end of the weekend.

stevec5375
07-29-10, 09:15 AM
Unless you're living out of your car, I don't think that it was intended by the designers that you carry your entire collection with you on the modest hard drive, but only a select few. :D

cz9h3d
07-29-10, 09:49 AM
An iPod will provide you the ability to listen to your music outside your car, as well as watch video. It also enables you to leverage iTunes for subscribing to podcasts. Are you using iTunes for organizing your music? If so, this may be a reason to select an iPod over a USB drive.

You iPod is charged when connected to your SRX's USB port.

Just my two cents (and most of my personal music collection was purchased in the 80's and 90's, so I'm more of an XM guy now), but unless all your music is good, or you make extensive use of playlists, I've found it somewhat unwieldy to search through a large music collection to find what I want to hear at a given moment. Would love to hear others' thoughts on how they're actually doing this in the SRX. Maybe I just have to get all "bad" music out of my collection.

And I do wish the SRX could handle podcasts better - this is what I usually use my memory sticks for - just grabbing the latest few podcasts over the internet before I hop in my car. Trying to find these on my iPod classic is a pain, most notably in the terrible titles that the SRX can't show enough characters of for me to tell which is the newest.

500GB by the weekend?!?!?! I hope the RIAA isn't watching ;)

stevec5375
07-29-10, 10:16 AM
I have a Rhapsody Music membership that I pay $150 a year for. I have access to the music database via the internet, my TiVo, my Android Phone (Samsung Vibrant from T-Mobile) and my Rhapsody Ibiza.

I can create playlists using any of these mediums as well as access Rhapsody Radio which is similar to Pandora. There is lots more like music blogs, video, etc.

I have two options for listening to my Rhapsody Music in the car. I can hook up either my Android phone or my Rhapsody Ibiza through the Aux Input.

The Rhapsody Ibiza (which you can no longer purchase) is sort of like an iPod in that it needs to be recharged occasionally and has an internal mini hard drive that holds 30GB of media. There are other devices that work with Rhapsody since the Ibiza is no longer available. Just check out their web site. I do believe the iPod may be one of them.

There is a free Android and iPhone application for streaming music from Rhapsody which you can install on your phone or iPod Touch.

I tend to be somewhat fickle about my music in that my mood changes often for the type of music I want to hear--sometimes classical, sometimes smooth jazz, or sometimes I whack out and need a Lady Gaga fix. LOL!! Rhapsody lets me listen to almost anything without having to actually purchase it (although purchasing an MP3 download is an option available to you). I'm not stuck with a huge, obsolete CD collection that collects dust and I never listen to anymore. In effect, I'm "renting" the music via their DRM (digital rights management).

http://www.rhapsody.com

iamq
07-29-10, 11:14 AM
I have songs on my USB stick in folders that are sorted by songs I like depending on the mood. I just select a folder and let the random feature take over. Works for me but its like a choice of which woman looks best....

sube5186
07-29-10, 11:23 AM
I think by his original post, jb7952 is looking for a permanent set-up just for music that he can keep in the car. He's not asking about an all around solution to carry music, Podcasts, etc. Both will work. If you're looking at a used 30 GB iPod, that's HDD based right? I'd prefer solid state memory over HDD anytime. It's more reliable, as there are no moving parts. Also, a thumbdrive takes up a lot less space in your center console. Just my $.02.

Sube

stealth97
07-29-10, 05:58 PM
Is it ok to leave the thumb drive connected to the USB slot in the center console? Or do you usually take it out before leaving the car? In addition, is it ok to leave in the car period, or could it get damaged with the heat? Thanks!

sube5186
07-29-10, 08:13 PM
Is it ok to leave the thumb drive connected to the USB slot in the center console? Or do you usually take it out before leaving the car? In addition, is it ok to leave in the car period, or could it get damaged with the heat? Thanks!

Yes, I leave mine connected. It's only powered when the car is on. Be sure to to use the "Eject USB" command in the menu before disconnecting. I use a Sandisk Cruzer. It has a large bright amber light when powered. Every thumbdrive I've ever seen has some kind of indicator light, although some are small and difficult to see. Thumbdrives are very durable. You'd practically need an oven to be too much heat. Besides, the USB port is nicely shielded from direct sunlight.

Sube

jb7952
07-29-10, 09:09 PM
I think by his original post, jb7952 is looking for a permanent set-up just for music that he can keep in the car. He's not asking about an all around solution to carry music, Podcasts, etc. Both will work. If you're looking at a used 30 GB iPod, that's HDD based right? I'd prefer solid state memory over HDD anytime. It's more reliable, as there are no moving parts. Also, a thumbdrive takes up a lot less space in your center console. Just my $.02.

Sube

Yeah, pretty much. This is my wife's car and by her nature, she won't change things often. It'll pretty much be a setup and forget it thing, unless there's some compelling reason to go with one or the other. Currently they're about the same price, so the only reason I'm thinking of getting the Ipod is for video out for the RES. Beyond that, they appear (once plugged in) functionally identical.

Beyond that, I'm planning to get a V-Wagon if they ever become available and I imagine the systems work fairly similar, so I'm doing some research for my own purchases down the line.

Thanks for the help.