: Ontario Guys. Car Show Next Week

Jon
07-28-10, 05:34 PM
Just a quick reminder that the GM Powertrain Show & Shine is next Friday, August 6th, 2010! This event has been posted in our “Events” section for quite some time, so I just wanted to remind everyone that it is coming up. For those that have never gone before, this fun filled day is hosted by General Motors at their St. Catharines assembly plant. All GM powered vehicles are welcome; this means us!

There will be a BBQ on site, dyno (those that want to find out how much power their car makes are welcome to try this), trophies for different types of cars, plant tours, and some of GM’s newest vehicles.

PLEASE understand you need to register for this event. More information on this event and instructions on how to register are here: http://www.ontariocts.com/?p=234

This is a free event, so I hope to get a good showing of CTS/CTS-Vs there. I am planning to do a cruise where we can all meet up and drive there together. We have done this in the past and it is an amazing sight to see so many of us going down the highway.

If you are attending, PLEASE let me know, along with what city you live in, so I can organize a meeting point. jon@ontariocts.com

sybersport
07-28-10, 05:50 PM
Very cool - thanks for the info :)

Hopefully you won't mind having a Nissan Xterra as part of your convoy... my 2011 V Sedan won't be delivered until mid August

garfin
07-28-10, 06:25 PM
Been to this event a number of times and it is well worth setting the day aside to attend! Plant tour is great - especially watching the engine dyno.
Remember - no open-toed shoes or sandals in the plant.
...and you never know who just might show up there!;)

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2049/441/5120220082_large.jpg

Best regards,

Elie

mugatu22
07-28-10, 06:40 PM
Damn, I was hoping this was in Ontario, California outside of LA. Oh well!

Jon
07-28-10, 06:55 PM
Been to this event a number of times and it is well worth setting the day aside to attend! Plant tour is great - especially watching the engine dyno.
Remember - no open-toed shoes or sandals in the plant.
...and you never know who just might show up there!;)

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2049/441/5120220082_large.jpg

Best regards,

Elie

Will you be joining us? :)

garfin
07-28-10, 08:32 PM
Will you be joining us? :)

Lord willin' and the creek don't rise!
I'm sort of on a day-to-day basis at the moment having been pretty well relegated to being flat on my back for the last 10 days. (sciatic nerve went berserk and my calf, hamstring and glute muscles on my left leg all seized).
I had to miss a Camaro event in Pittsburgh this past weekend 'cuz I can't sit for more than 5-10 min. at a stretch (if you'll pardon the pun!)
I've turned the corner, thanks to my athletic therapist who is a miracle worker, but recovery is looking slow. If I think I can drive the car from the cottage (on Lake Simcoe) to St. Kitts without being in agony, I'll definitely be there! Wouldn't miss it. Good thing is that this is not causing me a problem driving a manual!
A good friend of mine, who up until this year has worked at the Glendale Ave. plant (he's now retired) has always been in charge of organizing this event and in the past, I've helped him with registrations - I'm sure the transition this year will be seamless with new organizers!

Best regards,

Elie

newcadman
07-28-10, 08:33 PM
So which one of the two guys in the Garfin posted photo is Garfin and whose Camaro is it?

Will we be seeing the Garfin V being dynoed on Aug 6 at this site?

Jon
07-28-10, 08:37 PM
Lord willin' and the creek don't rise!
I'm sort of on a day-to-day basis at the moment having been pretty well relegated to being flat on my back for the last 10 days. (sciatic nerve went berserk and my calf, hamstring and glute muscles on my left leg all seized).
I had to miss a Camaro event in Pittsburgh this past weekend 'cuz I can't sit for more than 5-10 min. at a stretch (if you'll pardon the pun!)
I've turned the corner, thanks to my athletic therapist who is a miracle worker, but recovery is looking slow. If I think I can drive the car from the cottage (on Lake Simcoe) to St. Kitts without being in agony, I'll definitely be there! Wouldn't miss it. Good thing is that this is not causing me a problem driving a manual!
A good friend of mine, who up until this year has worked at the Glendale Ave. plant (he's now retired) has always been in charge of organizing this event and in the past, I've helped him with registrations - I'm sure the transition this year will be seamless with new organizers!

Best regards,

Elie

Yeah, I heard Tom is not doing it this year. He was great the past 3 years I've gone.

Hope to see you there... Or I could always drive it there for ya ;) j/k

So which one of the two guys in the Garfin posted photo is Garfin and whose Camaro is it?

The guy in the blue shirt is Ron Fellows.

I'll have my car on the dyno again if the weather co-operates. You can see a video of mine from last year at the link above. :)

garfin
07-28-10, 09:01 PM

Well... Jon's already explained who the guy with the hair is... ;)

...and to answer your other questions... the Camaro is mine and I'm not sure about throwing the V on the dyno. I've had experiences with a dyno that haven't been fun.

It sounds like you may be planning to participate in this event... if so, I am looking forward to meeting you in person.

Best regards,

Elie

newcadman
07-28-10, 11:06 PM
And here I thought we would see the garfin (MANUAL if memory serves?) V lay down some big numbers on the dyno! Disappointing.
However,you make mention of the fact that you've had experiences with a dyno that haven't been fun!
Care to share your dyno experience(s), so those individuals who have never dynoed can be educated?

garfin
07-29-10, 10:32 AM
And here I thought we would see the garfin (MANUAL if memory serves?) V lay down some big numbers on the dyno! Disappointing.
However,you make mention of the fact that you've had experiences with a dyno that haven't been fun!
Care to share your dyno experience(s), so those individuals who have never dynoed can be educated?

Sure. You can check out the BS I went through with a supposedly well-known tuner who was "working" on my Camaro here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/512022/10

To me, the number a dyno spits out is just a number and that's that. If the dyno says 370 or 395 RWHP, the car still runs the same, either way. After the incident with this "tuner", a number of people said how sorry they were that I had been duped by this guy and that the car wasn't as powerful as the "tuner" had made it out to be. My feeling was that I was very happy regardless, with the power level of the car and the way it drove - and the number on the dyno sheet didn't change that one iota, nor did it change my level of enjoyment that I got from the car (and still do).
I can certainly see the benefits of a dyno if you are modding the car and looking to maximize and fine tune power, A/F ratio etc. for the strip, track or for bragging rights.
I have no inclination to modify the V at the moment. I've been down that slippery slope with the Camaro, and one of the reasons I got the V was to have that high level of power, without modding and still having the car backed by a factory warranty. However, should I change my mind one day, I'd certainly opt to dyno the car before mods to get a baseline number.

I also witnessed another car (modified SVT Cobra) being dyno'ed recently (on a portable Mustang dyno, I believe) and it almost turned into a disaster as the car actually started skidding its rear wheels on the rollers and the process had to be shut down. Not exactly sure what happened, but it looked like the dyno couldn't handle the car's power. There sure was a lot of smelly smoke!

I hope that answers your question.

Best regards,

Elie

newcadman
07-29-10, 01:38 PM
Well Garfin, that certainly proved to be another interesting story. You really are quite the raconteur, that's for sure!
However, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that this negative dyno experience of yours obviously occurred long before your V acquisition.
With this being the case, I fail to understand why there are reports of your willingness and even eagerness to see what your manual (stock, as in no mods) V would do on the dyno and now this apparent total reluctance. Hard to figure.
Maybe it was just wishful thinking all along? N'est-ce pas?
On another note, be sure to keep everyone updated on your progress with your sciatic nerve issue. I understand it can be quite debilitating!

Jon
08-04-10, 11:21 PM
Here are the details for our cruise to the GM car show in St Catharines.

Since we are all in the GTA, we can meet at Square One (right off the 403 at Hwy 10/Hurontario) between 7:30am-8:00am Friday morning. It is a big parking lot so let’s meet in the Empire Theatres parking lot on the upper level.

The show starts at 9:00 so we will depart from here at 8:00am.

PM me for my cell phone # so you can call if you get lost or run late.

garfin
08-05-10, 10:46 AM
Here are the details for our cruise to the GM car show in St Catharines.

Since we are all in the GTA, we can meet at Square One (right off the 403 at Hwy 10/Hurontario) between 7:30am-8:00am Friday morning. It is a big parking lot so let’s meet in the Empire Theatres parking lot on the upper level.

The show starts at 9:00 so we will depart from here at 8:00am.

PM me for my cell phone # so you can call if you get lost or run late.

I'll see you at the show a bit later in the morning. My back has been making slow progress and I've talked a buddy of mine into comin' with, in case I need a break from the driver's seat.
We'll be coming down from the cottage on Lake Simcoe and taking the 407 right to the end in Burlington. I want to make the trip as short as possible by avoiding stops and rush hour traffic into the city.
If you're using a GPS, the address is 570 Glendale Ave., St. Catharines, ON
Who else is coming? Anybody from the Buffalo/upstate N.Y. area?

Best regards,

Elie

Jon
08-05-10, 01:08 PM
I'll see you at the show a bit later in the morning. My back has been making slow progress and I've talked a buddy of mine into comin' with, in case I need a break from the driver's seat.
We'll be coming down from the cottage on Lake Simcoe and taking the 407 right to the end in Burlington. I want to make the trip as short as possible by avoiding stops and rush hour traffic into the city.
If you're using a GPS, the address is 570 Glendale Ave., St. Catharines, ON
Who else is coming? Anybody from the Buffalo/upstate N.Y. area?

Best regards,

Elie

We are supposed to have roughly 5 cars joining the cruise. My good buddy Chip will be coming from Buffalo.

sybersport
08-05-10, 04:14 PM
I may be able to join you - depends on work schedule that I will be getting this evening...

I don't have my 2011 V-Sedan yet (supposed to arrive in 2 weeks!) - so I'll be in my Nissan Xterra... hope that's okay!

garfin
08-05-10, 04:53 PM
I may be able to join you - depends on work schedule that I will be getting this evening...

I don't have my 2011 V-Sedan yet (supposed to arrive in 2 weeks!) - so I'll be in my Nissan Xterra... hope that's okay!

You must be busting to get your mitts on the car already! Congrats!
I suspect you'll need to park the Xterra in the adjacent lot, as it's a show for GM powered vehicles... or maybe just tell 'em you stuffed a 327 under the hood!:thumbsup:

Best regards,

Elie

sybersport
08-05-10, 05:37 PM
You must be busting to get your mitts on the car already! Congrats!
I suspect you'll need to park the Xterra in the adjacent lot, as it's a show for GM powered vehicles... or maybe just tell 'em you stuffed a 327 under the hood!:thumbsup:

Best regards,

Elie

I'm itching to call my salesperson to get an update on the status of my V... but I've already called quite a few times in the last 2 weeks, so I'm doing my best to be patient!

Jon
08-05-10, 11:22 PM

Yep you're welcome to cruise in with us.

sybersport
08-06-10, 02:16 AM
Just got back to Toronto... will have to meet you guys at the show later in the morning - I need some sleep!

garfin
08-06-10, 07:21 PM
Just got back to Toronto... will have to meet you guys at the show later in the morning - I need some sleep!

It was a pleasure meeting you and spending some time talking to you today Darren (and with some of the other "V guys" as well!)
Jon, your car was sounding amazing - I don't think I had a chance to hear it at Mosport!
Lex - congrats - you left too early! if you read this, you won the award for "Favorite CTS". Speak to Tom - he may be able to retrieve your prize for you!
Great day, great people and great cars! Hope everyone is home safely!

Best regards,

Elie

newcadman
08-07-10, 06:33 PM
GARFIN, how unfortunate and disappointing that our paths didn't cross at the show.
Oh well, the main thing is you get to use the forum again to bring everyone up to speed on the status of your back problem.
When you get right down to it, much more important than anything else really.

Jon
08-17-10, 07:24 PM
http://www.ontariocts.com/?p=314

Pictures and video

garfin
08-18-10, 10:50 AM
http://www.ontariocts.com/?p=314

Pictures and video

Great shots and memories of a great day! Thanks for posting up and sharing! That's a heckuva camera - I can even make out the signature on the underside of my hood!

Best regards,

Elie