: Cheaper way to get a new FOB/Key in Canada?

mgt
07-28-10, 04:57 PM
Somewhere along the line the second key was lost for my new 2010 SRX. I went to the GM dealership here in Toronto, Canada to get a new one programmed thinking it would be about $200. It is almost $600. They told me they had to order it from the U.S. (about $500) plus programming time and tax. Is there a cheaper way to get another FOB? After 15 years of dealing with BMW I thought I would be immune to any high prices from GM. Guess not!

sube5186
07-28-10, 05:15 PM
Buy this one and program it yourself. As long as you still have one remote, processing is easy ( page 1-5). See if your dealer can "cut" the removable key inside the remote. If they want a ridiculously high price to do that, no big deal. You don't really need it. Besides, as long as you have the other key, you may be able to get a locksmith to cut it at minimal cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-2009-2010-08-09-00-CADILLAC-SRX-SMART-KEY-REMOTE-/150472275889?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2308d8b7b1

Sube

mgt
07-28-10, 05:26 PM
That is great, Sube. I am going to do that.

sube5186
07-28-10, 06:18 PM
While you're at it, you may want to buy one of these in a "bright" color. Might make your key fob easier to locate.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/196059-silicone-remote-covers.html

Sube

Nichelle
07-29-10, 01:06 AM
That is great, Sube. I am going to do that.

Would you mind reporting back how this worked out for you? My 'back up' fob no longer fits the key very well. I have it in a 'jacket' so it will stay together. But I was thinking about getting another fob. I don't need the key, just the remote. I'd love to know your results.

mgt
07-29-10, 06:26 AM
I am ordering it in the next day or two and will report back on it as soon as it is up and running.

Ponyman
07-29-10, 07:26 AM
Nichelle, take it back and ask for a new one. They shouldn't fall apart this quick. Plus if you can get them to give you a new one, they will have to program it also.

jb7952
07-29-10, 09:00 AM
Is it possible to set the FOBs for different driver presets? My Tahoe had numbered FOBs, the Caddy ones are identical and don't seem to keep settings. I know I'm missing something in the manual as there's no way Caddy skipped this.

sube5186
07-29-10, 12:03 PM
Is it possible to set the FOBs for different driver presets?

Yes, each remote is associated with a custom seat position. However, this is NOT tied to the numbers on the memory seat buttons.

Sube

sube5186
07-29-10, 12:07 PM
Nichelle, take it back and ask for a new one. They shouldn't fall apart this quick. Plus if you can get them to give you a new one, they will have to program it also.

Absolutely! This is part of the vehicle, and therefore covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. The pin in the cigarette lighter plug of my air compressor cord was stuck. They switched it out with another brand new one in another SRX. Before I even left the dealer they'd fixed my original one. All it needed was a spray of lubricant. I still kept the new one. That's no different than your key fob. It's part of the car.

Sube

Nichelle
07-29-10, 08:35 PM
Ponyman and Sube, you have a good point. I hadn't considered that this would be covered. My dealership is absolutely great so I don't anticipate any problems.

jb7952
07-29-10, 09:11 PM
Yes, each remote is associated with a custom seat position. However, this is NOT tied to the numbers on the memory seat buttons.

Sube

Interesting. So there's 4 presets then? (1 for each FOB and 2 for the buttons)

sube5186
07-29-10, 09:28 PM
Interesting. So there's 4 presets then? (1 for each FOB and 2 for the buttons)

Not quite. When you switch remotes, the seat goes back to the memory position set when that remote was last used.

Sube

jb7952
07-29-10, 09:38 PM
Not quite. When you switch remotes, the seat goes back to the memory position set when that remote was last used.

Sube

Good enough. I'll have to check if it does different presets on the radio and mirror positions, etc.. for each remote.

sube5186
07-29-10, 10:00 PM
Good enough. I'll have to check if it does different presets on the radio and mirror positions, etc.. for each remote.

Yes, the mirror positions are tied into the seat positions.

Sube