: Manual Guys--Need help

ajjones44
07-28-10, 11:01 AM
Has anyone here experienced difficulty shifting into 1st. I know about the 1st or 2nd shift to 4th. However, the programing may be locking me out of 1st at a dead stop. I sometimes experience the issue when starting the car also. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

JFJr
07-28-10, 12:02 PM
I experienced that problem occasionally with the V1, but not the V2; different Tremec transmissions in each car. I haven't heard of anyone else having that problem with the V2, so you probably need a dealer visit.

Jud

Razorecko
07-28-10, 01:10 PM
importantly did you get your car new or used ?

cdog533
07-28-10, 01:15 PM
Locking you out of 1st at a stop? Like it won't go in, but easily slides into 2nd? That may be a shift linkage issue. If it's not adjusted right, that could happen. I don't think the CAGS system can lock you out of 1st.

You go left, then up. Can you go left, but then not up? Or not left at all (eliminating 2nd as well).

4DOORZR1
07-28-10, 02:28 PM
Absolutely no problems with my '09 with 1st gear, or any gear for that matter.

ajjones44
07-28-10, 03:58 PM
I bought the car new, a 2010 model. I couldn't get the car into any gear, for a few minutes, this morning. Then it went right into gear. It doesnt slip, no grinding, it just goes wont go into first sometimes.

cdog533
07-28-10, 04:32 PM
Is the clutch fully disengaged? I'm assuming you are pushing the pedal ALL the way down, the mat is not behind it, etc.

If the motor is running, and it won't go into gear, but you can turn it OFF and it goes right in, then the clutch is not fully disengaging. Perhaps it has air bubbles and is fine once you pump it or something. Maybe one of the hyd. cylinders is leaking when cold, but then heats up and is OK.

At any rate, if the clutch isn't fully disengaged, it won't go into first. Or any gear.

I thought it would grind though, but it's been a while since I've driven a car with a broken clutch cable (Porsche 914. Shut it off at lights, slide into 1st, fire it back up when light is green lol)

Here's a test. When it WON'T go into gear, turn it off, and try to stick it in gear, see if it goes in. Goes in gear then = that's bad.

If it does go in gear, then fire it back up, with your foot on the clutch, put it in 1st and see if it creeps forward. If it rolls = that's bad.

Also, then shift it to neutral and then try to get it BACK in 1st. If it won't go = that's bad.

We'll know for sure then.

RapidRob
07-28-10, 07:38 PM
No troubles getting my 09 into any gear, especially into 1st while stopped.

Rob

cts-v ls6
07-28-10, 11:20 PM
I'd be surprised if this is the problem since your car is new, but check your hydraulic clutch fluid reservoir level under the hood. If the reservoir is low on fluid, that will make the car hard to go into gear,

Jack

CopperSunburstCTS
07-29-10, 01:55 PM
On a similar note to you manual guys, i was at the dealership and they had a late model V sedan and the clutch pedal would make a slight clicking noise and feel at about 2 inches away from full depressed travel . VERY annoying. And I felt/heard this on a used on I test drove about a year ago. Does anyone else feel or hear this, even slightly?

ruben
07-29-10, 02:19 PM
Noise is normal on any car is the switch to be able to start the car not to launch forward

ajjones44
07-29-10, 03:42 PM
I put the car in the shop this morning. Hopefully they can figure out the issue before I ship the car to Germany.

Cub Cadet
07-29-10, 03:52 PM
Mine has never locked me out of any gear... and I do lots of city and highway driving. 6 months and 11,000 miles. I did not know this car had that feature??

CopperSunburstCTS
07-30-10, 12:28 AM
Noise is normal on any car is the switch to be able to start the car not to launch forward

I had a manual with my 2003 cts, NO clicking heard or felt what so ever. Other manuals i have driven same thing, nothing. They can make switches that the clicking sound is not heard or felt.

BeagleBrains
07-30-10, 04:12 PM
I bought the car new, a 2010 model. I couldn't get the car into any gear, for a few minutes, this morning. Then it went right into gear. It doesnt slip, no grinding, it just goes wont go into first sometimes.
Have you tried "double clutching"? From a neutral position between gear selects, release the clutch and immediately depress. This usually enables a baulky shift positioning. Really old-school stuff.

BeagleBrains
07-30-10, 04:20 PM
Is there a relay override/bypass plug for the 2nd-to-4th Manual Shift lock-out?
I haven't kept up with this; my '04 V and my Corvette have received the override modification.

ajjones44
07-30-10, 04:27 PM
Well, I picked the car up yesterday from the shop. The tech told me something is jamming up the shifter and they are ordering a new shift assembly. Bad news is that they are not in stock and have to be made at the factory. Does anyone know of a company who makes a short throw shifter that will replace the entire assembly? I knew there is a company that makes one for the 2010 Camaro but unsure for the Caddy. Thanks.