: Oil pump issues?

09V
07-27-10, 06:51 PM
Has anyone here had any issues with their oil pump ie(low oil pressure, stop engine)? I think I lost the oil pump in my hoopty at 15,000 miles. Luckily it decided to act up in the garage when I was about to take off. Hopefully I don't have catastrophic damage.

Jayrcr3
07-27-10, 06:54 PM
I would call the dealership and have them tow it in to take a look. Its probably the sending unit, but I wouldn't want to chance it. There were problems with the sending unit on the earlier V's also.

09V
07-27-10, 06:57 PM
Trying to diagnose it now. The mechanical guage read "0", but unknown whether it is the pump itself, or maybe the pickup??? I will post when I know more info.

Caddyscat
08-30-10, 02:05 AM
Mine just did the same thing this evening. O psi. Stuck in a parking lot with my wife. Had it towed to dealership. Hopefully nothings damaged (scored cylinder walls) but the engine didn't sound too good, it sounded like dice rattling around the crank.

wait4me
08-30-10, 09:17 AM
Intersting.. This was on a few cars in Dubai / abu dahbi also.... It was a pump failure, then it took out the mains.

Gary Wells
08-30-10, 10:11 AM
Mine just did the same thing this evening. O psi. Stuck in a parking lot with my wife. Had it towed to dealership. Hopefully nothings damaged (scored cylinder walls) but the engine didn't sound too good, it sounded like dice rattling around the crank.
How many miles on yours when the oil pressure went to 0 PSI.

RogersV
08-30-10, 05:46 PM
Trying to diagnose it now. The mechanical guage read "0", but unknown whether it is the pump itself, or maybe the pickup??? I will post when I know more info.

09V: It's been over a month, has this case been diagnosed yet??

Caddyscat
08-30-10, 08:17 PM
21075 miles. Cadillac ownership has it's benefits my ass, I got a shitty cobalt as a loaner.

Gary Wells
08-30-10, 09:33 PM
Sorry to hear, Caddyscat, hope that all goes well with the repair.

Caddyscat
09-01-10, 12:59 AM
Dealer made good, called me today and traded the cobalt for a CTS. Still no update on the V though.

Caddyscat
09-03-10, 08:12 PM
Well, if anybody cares, the issue:

"Found service PI stating oil pressure relief valve may stick causing no oil pressure. Recommend to replace oil pump and recheck as per PIP4158C. Remove oil pump and tear down found relief valve stuck, replace oil pump and all related gaskets, top off oil and coolant flush oil cooler road test ok at time"

Got car back today. Happy again. This is the first time a GM car has left me stranded. after driving a base CTS for 3 days, the V feels like a mean sonofabitch.

backup
09-03-10, 09:01 PM
This kinda s**t is the biggest reason I won't do a tune or otherwise break the factory warranty. My dealer is cool with CAI and exhaust, and that is as far as I have gone for fear of a $15k engine replacement not under warranty. I want to be able to wind the thing out at will and without worry. Anybody else in my camp on this?

Gary Wells
09-03-10, 11:38 PM
This kinda s**t is the biggest reason I won't do a tune or otherwise break the factory warranty. My dealer is cool with CAI and exhaust, and that is as far as I have gone for fear of a $15k engine replacement not under warranty. I want to be able to wind the thing out at will and without worry. Anybody else in my camp on this?
I am sort of still in your camp on that. I would be the last person in the world to try and convince somebody else either way. Very subjective issue. However, in the above instance, it sounds like the oil pump was replaced without any major motor damage. Still, that would have been a major bill, I'll bet.

Gary Wells
09-03-10, 11:40 PM
Well, if anybody cares, the issue:

"Found service PI stating oil pressure relief valve may stick causing no oil pressure. Recommend to replace oil pump and recheck as per PIP4158C. Remove oil pump and tear down found relief valve stuck, replace oil pump and all related gaskets, top off oil and coolant flush oil cooler road test ok at time"

Got car back today. Happy again. This is the first time a GM car has left me stranded. after driving a base CTS for 3 days, the V feels like a mean sonofabitch.

Caddy: I''m happy for you that you got that fixed and back in your hands. At peace with the world again, huh?

Caddyscat
09-04-10, 02:30 AM
Thanks Gary, yes, it was quite the week. A lot on my palette besides the car. I can't imagine the cost of repairs if I had voided the warranty.

I look at it this way, I had a 2002 WS-6 for 7 years and it was a fun car, rated around 325 hp which was plenty. Then I got the V. WAY plenty power, tempted to do the W4M Transmission tune but just decided if the time comes and something goes kaput, I might regret it. This forum has it's advantages and disadvantages. An advantage might be getting down to the wheel clicking issue some might encounter, a disadvantage would be the horror stories some tell of getting their car back from service only to find out something else has been damaged.

Anyways, I am thankful for the Caddy owners community and the supportive members. See y'all in another topic.

Ed

cdog533
09-04-10, 03:52 AM

It would be pretty hard for them to blame aftermarket parts like pulleys, etc. when the fault can be traced DIRECTLY back to a faulty oil pump.

lavaman
09-04-10, 08:51 AM
Agreed. Over boosted or not, the oil pump relief valve is unaffected. If this engine were modified a good case could be made for warranty coverage.

09V
09-04-10, 02:07 PM
Well, I had the oil pump replaced. It had destroyed itself and sent metal through the motor. Not an easy thing to deal with. I have to say that the best thing to do is keep it stock until it dies or mod the crap out of it from the get go and cross your fingers. When she fails just grin and bear it, then put in a nasty motor. Crappy deal either way because one you are scared your car might crap the bed and on the other hand you just have to expect it if something bites the dust. Good luck to all.

I am presently pursuing alternatives-- hope I can make something stronger and do it smart from the beginning. I have already contacted wait4me and others to see what kind of damage I have to look forward to($$$). Hope nobody else has this type of crap to deal with.

shade
09-04-10, 04:27 PM
Is this issue isolated to 09's?