: WIFI on the CTS/CTS-V in the 2010 Dealer brochure?

Howsitgoing
07-27-10, 02:46 PM
Saw in the 2010 CTS Dealer brochure the WIFI was available? First I had heard of this unless I am just oblivious as I was to the no-lift shift.

baabootoo
07-27-10, 03:14 PM
I looked at the one with the maroon CTS and black CTS-V, and didn't see WiFi anywhere. What section was the word WiFi under? WiFi is usually a transmitter signal for computers to pickup.

JimmyH
07-27-10, 04:24 PM
That would be interesting. The only use I could see for that is if your car has a 3G connection built in. Or a way to hook up OBD?

Zexnos
07-27-10, 05:18 PM
a quick google search shows a bunch of news from last year about Caddy offering wifi on the CTS, but I cannot find anything more current...

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10199833-48.html

JimmyH
07-27-10, 07:29 PM
I am not sure I see the point. We are nearing the point where almost all cell phones have internet on them. Though at $29 (if that is what it ends up being) per month, it's half the price that the major wireless companies are charging for a 3G dongle. But then you can use those anywhere. I assume this will be something the size of a small router (judging by the pictures) and use 12V external power. That precludes you from carrying it around with you.

CIWS
07-28-10, 09:27 AM
I'm betting Cadillac decided this wasn't worth the effort and cost to permanently add as an option.

Droid X phone can become a hotspot and allow others to connect through it via WiFi. So there's now a hotspot one can carry around in their pocket.

mik2718
07-28-10, 09:41 AM
When I bought my V in Jun 09, my dealer offered me wi-fi as a dealer-installed option and provided a postcard-sized (very slick) ad from Cadillac for the service. Here's a description of the router:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30998458/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

commander112
07-28-10, 10:15 AM
mik2718 is right on. The WIFI is available through the parts counter. As said above, more and more cel phones have WIFI built into them. I am a Droidx user and just the other day fired up the WIFI. It is very nice to have a hotspot everywhere I am.

JimmyH
07-28-10, 01:51 PM
I'm betting Cadillac decided this wasn't worth the effort and cost to permanently add as an option.

Droid X phone can become a hotspot and allow others to connect through it via WiFi. So there's now a hotspot one can carry around in their pocket.

I am sure verizon is artificially limiting the speed through it though. Sprint has their mifi, and I think ATT will be offering something similar. Of course most of these devices you get have a "governer" put on them.

My ATT usb dongle only gives about half the speed (on average) compared to the internal WWAN card in my laptop. They probably would not be too happy if they knew I was doing that :D

CIWS
07-28-10, 02:41 PM
I am sure verizon is artificially limiting the speed through it though. Sprint has their mifi, and I think ATT will be offering something similar. Of course most of these devices you get have a "governer" put on them.

They won't limit it beyond it's current 3G rate.

JimmyH
07-28-10, 04:06 PM
Maybe they won't. But I get 1-1.5 down on my ATT usb dongle. When I transfer the sim card to my internal WWAN card, I get 2.0-2.5 down.

digital1021
07-28-10, 04:38 PM
Maybe they won't. But I get 1-1.5 down on my ATT usb dongle. When I transfer the sim card to my internal WWAN card, I get 2.0-2.5 down.

The laptop WWAN most likely has a better antena than the USB WWAN... I can pull about 2.6Mbps on my ATT USB and about 2.4Mbps on my iPhone 4 in Austin, also get about 1.8Mbps uploads.

~ Matt

JimmyH
07-28-10, 04:46 PM
yeah there is a much larger antenna. It wraps around the lcd bezel. As opposed to the tiny one in the dongle. There is actually a port on it for an external antenna. Fortunately, I don't need the dongle. I love having built in 3G.