: CTS-V "ride" (firm/soft) comparison?

Lord Cadillac
07-26-10, 08:39 PM
I'm searching but can't find anything.. Is there a discussion already being had about how the CTS-V rides compared to other vehicles? I've never driven in a CTS-V but I'm planning on getting one (or an ATS-V) as my next vehicle. I'd just like to get an idea what it rides like beforehand... I'm guessing it's fairly firm but with the magnetic suspension (another thing I've never driven), I really don't know...

Thanks in advance...

cbloveday
07-26-10, 08:54 PM
My lord, you really need to test drive one. She is a pretty tight ride, although a tad overweight. The suspension does a pretty good job of masking the heavyness of the car. My M6 felt like a go kart compared to the V. Then again, it is a 4door. I have yet to have the pleasure of driving a V coupe. Trouble is, until it is mine, I am reluctant to push it on a test drive.

JFJr
07-26-10, 08:59 PM
Interesting combination of firmness and compliance. You feel the road very well, but are not punished. However, if you're accustomed to land yacht smoothness and lack of feel, you will be disappointed. I was suspicious of the magnetically-controlled shocks and avoided them while driving Z51 Corvettes in the early development of this new suspension, but technology never stands still and the "V's" suspension is one of its strong points. I'm a fan now and will never look back. What is your tolerance for road feel and control vs. cruising comfort? The "V" seems to give us a great compromise.

Jud

Lord Cadillac
07-26-10, 09:02 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll get a ride in one soon.. I'd LIKE the firmness to be less than that of a BMW 335i sedan with the sport suspension - but I have a feeling that's wishful thinking.. Though I figured with the magnetic suspension, maybe it wouldn't be too far off.. Is there an adjustable option to allow for a softer ride at times? The firm ride certainly isn't a deal breaker. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm getting into so that I'm not surprised...

DrPick
07-26-10, 09:28 PM
The ride is perfect. Like others have said, it is not punishing, but is very firm. No mush and absolutely zero body roll. There are 2 modes, "sport" and "tour", although by my buttometer I have a real hard time telling the two apart. "tour" seems a touch softer, but this may be a placebo effect.

cbloveday
07-26-10, 10:01 PM
The ride is perfect. Like others have said, it is not punishing, but is very firm. No mush and absolutely zero body roll. There are 2 modes, "sport" and "tour", although by my buttometer I have a real hard time telling the two apart. "tour" seems a touch softer, but this may be a placebo effect.

No the sport is definately firmer. Drive down the highway with your neck relaxed and hit the sport mode on the suspension and your head will start to bobble.

shchow
07-26-10, 11:21 PM
The suspension in the CTS-V is quite remarkable.
As already mentioned, it gives a great combination of a compliant ride, but is also quite sporty.
If you are already familiar with the BMW, the M's come in 3 suspension settings...comfort, normal, sport. On regular suburban/urban roads, the "sport" mode is too stiff and punishing, IMHO. I've always kept it in "comfort" mode.
The magnetic suspension in the Caddy is actually more compliant than the "comfort" mode in BMW, but is as stiff as the "sport" mode, if you can believe that.
The w212 E63 gives a ride that is comparable to the CTS-V, with the fixed coils up front and the air suspension in the rear.
But the Caddy's suspension is more sophisticated...

baabootoo
07-26-10, 11:36 PM
I think it is "tighter" than my 550i, and more comfy than a Pontiac G8 GT. I'm amazed at how smooth the road cracks are; considering the huge low-profile tires! You won't be disappointed.

garfin
07-27-10, 08:53 AM
...from C&D's comparo between the V, XFR and E63
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q4/2009_cadillac_cts-v_vs._2010_jaguar_xfr_2010_mercedes-benz_e63_amg_-comparison_tests/2009_cadillac_cts-v_page_3

"And speaking of comfort, the Cadillac has the best ride of the group. Much credit goes to the Delphi-supplied magnetorheological shock absorbers, which we seem to love in every car they turn up in. In the CTS-V, it translates to that perfect balance between ride firmness and compliance. This is most evident on the autobahn, where the CTS-V sticks fervently to the road and exhibits none of the high-speed skittishness of the E63 or the XFR. And should you have the running room, the Caddy will smoke its rivals to a drag-limited top speed of 191 mph."

"Germany’s roads are unbelievably smooth, although a few places, such as a cobblestone village center, reveal that the E63 can be jarringly stiff. We did find that the comfort setting takes some of the bite out of the rigid ride, although the sportier settings are recommended for any cornering. What the Benz gives up to the Caddy in comfort, though, it makes up for in responsiveness."

Best regards,

Elie

lavaman
07-27-10, 09:47 AM
I came from an 08 CTS4 with FE2 suspension. The V 's two suspension settings provide a softer yet more controlled ride than the 08 did when in touring mode and a firmer more abrupt ride in sport..... all on 19" wheels w/ low profile tires.

Simply put.... "It is the best of both worlds!"

Lord Cadillac
07-27-10, 09:48 AM
So the E63 is more responsive, huh? Interesting.. I like the sounds of it being comfortable, though.. Now I've never driven in a 550i either - but I've heard it was very, very firm.. So many different opinions... If the CTS-V is more stiff than the very, very stiff 550i, than the CTS-V must be very stiff.. I'll have to get a ride in a CTS-V sometime soon.

shchow
07-27-10, 12:39 PM
So the E63 is more responsive, huh?

Yes, it is more responsive.
I've tested it several times. But we're only talking a rather subtle improvement.
Also keep in mind that the E63 does NOT COME WITH LSD standard.
It is an option in their p30 package for nearly 9k more.
However, recently, MB is practically giving away the w212 E63 with people getting up to 20k off MSRP. Some food for thought...

JimmyH
07-27-10, 03:28 PM
Sal?! your going for a V? Did you tire of "that other car" already? :lol: I told you the hype was more than that car was deserving of. Be sure to give Cadillac Tony a call.

Lord Cadillac
07-27-10, 06:46 PM
Yes, it is more responsive.
I've tested it several times. But we're only talking a rather subtle improvement.
Also keep in mind that the E63 does NOT COME WITH LSD standard.
It is an option in their p30 package for nearly 9k more.
However, recently, MB is practically giving away the w212 E63 with people getting up to 20k off MSRP. Some food for thought...

LSD for $10k more?! I guess it's nice to at least have as an option - but for $10k? It just seems like a bad deal... $20k off MSRP is pretty nice, however. It IS an amazing car...

Sal?! your going for a V? Did you tire of "that other car" already? :lol: I told you the hype was more than that car was deserving of. Be sure to give Cadillac Tony a call.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing yet. I'm REALLY, REALLY curious to see the ATS-V and whatever Cadillac might come up with in regards to a full-size premium luxury sedan. I'm REALLY not tired of my current vehicle but my wife hates it and I miss having something ultra comfortable for my passengers.. If you ever come for a visit to Florida, you're taking my car to the track and driving it... :) Then you can decide how you feel about the hype. :p

JimmyH
07-27-10, 07:01 PM
I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing yet. I'm REALLY, REALLY curious to see the ATS-V and whatever Cadillac might come up with in regards to a full-size premium luxury sedan. I'm REALLY not tired of my current vehicle but my wife hates it and I miss having something ultra comfortable for my passengers.. If you ever come for a visit to Florida, you're taking my car to the track and driving it... :) Then you can decide how you feel about the hype. :p

Well, the ATS is going to be a compact sedan. Maybe you're confusing the ATS with the XTS? That is going to be the new full size Cadillac. And I doubt there will be a V rendition. I actually question if there will be any V beyond the 2nd gen CTS-V. If there is, I bet it will be less than 8 cylinders. Either that, or it will be extremely limited production so as not to mess up GMs CAFE.

And I did not realize you were a track guy :thumbsup: I envy you non-parents.

Lord Cadillac
07-27-10, 07:29 PM
I'm not really a track guy - but I do go to see what modifications were worth... I don't like to excessively beat my cars. I'm crazy. I think the less I beat on 'em, the longer they'll be there for me when I want to. :p

Anyway - I did mean ATS-V. I think the ATS-V is going to be an excellent BMW 3-Series competitor. Consider me interested.. I like the CTS-V as well - but lately I'm into vehicles that corner well.. Then again, like I mentioned, I like full-size luxury cars as well. I probably need one of each. Something high performance and something premium luxury. I love the LS460L, 750Li and S550... But ultimately I'd prefer to drive the Cadillac version of those cars. Even if it's slightly under par. Just keep the lock stalk away from my arm (DTS) and give me plenty of power and features...

Well, the ATS is going to be a compact sedan. Maybe you're confusing the ATS with the XTS? That is going to be the new full size Cadillac. And I doubt there will be a V rendition. I actually question if there will be any V beyond the 2nd gen CTS-V. If there is, I bet it will be less than 8 cylinders. Either that, or it will be extremely limited production so as not to mess up GMs CAFE.

And I did not realize you were a track guy :thumbsup: I envy you non-parents.

GMX322V S/C
07-28-10, 12:05 AM
So THIS is what my Platinum Membership is going towards? Just kidding Sal :p

Get the CTS-V and come join the fun and discussions!

thebigjimsho
07-28-10, 11:10 AM
So the E63 is more responsive, huh? Interesting.. I like the sounds of it being comfortable, though.. Now I've never driven in a 550i either - but I've heard it was very, very firm.. So many different opinions... If the CTS-V is more stiff than the very, very stiff 550i, than the CTS-V must be very stiff.. I'll have to get a ride in a CTS-V sometime soon.
Maybe I had my '04 too stiff(I didn't), but I love the Tour setting on my '09. I'll drive it all day on rough roads without a second thought. Some guys may talk tough and proclaim how Sport is all they'll do, but I only use Sport at the track because Tour does such a great job.

Doit!

Lord Cadillac
07-28-10, 11:28 AM
So THIS is what my Platinum Membership is going towards? Just kidding Sal :p

Get the CTS-V and come join the fun and discussions!

Actually, the Platinum Memberships are going towards my yacht... :highfive: The joint chiefs of staff are getting tired of my corporate private jet because it's almost five years old now. Otherwise, I'm seriously thinking about a "V". I'm not ready just yet but I'm in the research stages...

Maybe I had my '04 too stiff(I didn't), but I love the Tour setting on my '09. I'll drive it all day on rough roads without a second thought. Some guys may talk tough and proclaim how Sport is all they'll do, but I only use Sport at the track because Tour does such a great job.

Doit!

Let's just hope I don't get tired of looking over my shoulder for cops who want to ticket me for "aggressive" driving or speeding on our 45mph four-lane highways...

JimmyH
07-28-10, 01:06 PM
I think you are lying Sal. I picture you in the right lane getting passed by bluehairs.

Lord Cadillac
07-28-10, 01:24 PM
I think you are lying Sal. I picture you in the right lane getting passed by bluehairs.
Most people think that's the way I drive. :p I wonder why...

4gear70
07-28-10, 01:45 PM

I agree! The Tour setting is just that good that I keep it there most of the time.

JimmyH
07-28-10, 03:08 PM
I don't frequent this forum much. But how many guys with V2 have taken off the EMT tires for standard? I know when I got rid of the runflats on my V1, the ride quality was GREATLY improved. And the handling did not seem to suffer at all. The ride was still firm, but the standard tires absorbed bumps alot better.

4gear70
07-28-10, 03:51 PM
I don't frequent this forum much. But how many guys with V2 have taken off the EMT tires for standard? I know when I got rid of the runflats on my V1, the ride quality was GREATLY improved. And the handling did not seem to suffer at all. The ride was still firm, but the standard tires absorbed bumps alot better.

The V2 comes standard with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires. They are a great tire.

V&Vette
07-28-10, 04:05 PM

I had done that on my Corvette since the goodyear supercar tires in my opinion were very harsh and loud. I ended up putting the PS2's on that car and they are a world better in every way imaginable. I will leave them on the V until something is proven to be better.

thebigjimsho
07-28-10, 04:39 PM
I don't frequent this forum much. But how many guys with V2 have taken off the EMT tires for standard?
Sentence one explains sentence two. No EMTs, Jimmah...

lbenoit
07-28-10, 04:40 PM
The CTS-V OEM PS2 tire is not an EMT (Extended Mobility Tire aka "runflat").

thebigjimsho
07-28-10, 04:44 PM
The CTS-V OEM PS2 tire is not an EMT (Extended Mobility Tire aka "runflat").
I beat you BenWA!

JimmyH
07-28-10, 05:52 PM
Shows how much I know. I had assumed since the V1 had runflats, that the V2 did also. Kudos to GM for getting rid of those horrible things.

JFJr
07-28-10, 09:39 PM
Shows how much I know. I had assumed since the V1 had runflats, that the V2 did also. Kudos to GM for getting rid of those horrible things.That's your opinion, sport, not universally shared by all. Did you know that the Corvette ZR1 has Michelin PS2 ZP's (run-flats)? Technology moves forward.

Lord Cadillac
07-28-10, 09:47 PM
I don't think he was trying to force his opinion on anyone.. In any event, I've found runflats ride more harsh and hold the road (especially in very cold weather) terribly compared to regular tires. I'm very surprised to hear they're being used on the ZR1...

That's your opinion, sport, not universally shared by all. Did you know that the Corvette ZR1 has Michelin PS2 ZP's (run-flats)? Technology moves forward.

nradcad
07-28-10, 10:21 PM
That's your opinion, sport, not universally shared by all. Did you know that the Corvette ZR1 has Michelin PS2 ZP's (run-flats)? Technology moves forward.

And its Ring time suffers because of it...There is a reason guys on the Vette forum refer to them as 'Run-Craps.'

IBNR
07-29-10, 02:52 AM
LordC, what about an STS-V? I really like that car, and might pick up a lightly-used '08 in couple of years, if I can find one, to keep the miles down on my CTS-V. My E500 does that duty now, but I'm starting to feel that car slip into the long night....

JFJr
07-29-10, 08:21 AM
I don't think he was trying to force his opinion on anyone.. In any event, I've found runflats ride more harsh and hold the road (especially in very cold weather) terribly compared to regular tires. I'm very surprised to hear they're being used on the ZR1...I am currently running a set of Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RFT's (run-flats) on my "V." While I would have preferred the Michelin ZP's, they weren't offered for the fronts. I don't find the Bridgestones any harsher than the PS2's and while I don't track my car, they seem to hold the road equally well, have better turn-in, are great in the rain and have a higher wear rating, not to mention the extra convenience of not having to deal with the "inflator kit" in the trunk if I have a flat.

Jud

JimmyH
07-29-10, 03:33 PM
I am still wondering when/if these are coming to market.

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/cars/tire.jpg